UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Training tips
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
AKE
UKC Forum Member

Training tips

Got a pup didn't mess with until almost a year old. Have taken him out a few times goes with older dogs and will track but can't get him to tree really. Was wondering if anyone had any ideas to get him tree. I've turned him loose on a hot coon by himself and he went in tracking about 150 then came back to me so I went to where he stopped on Garmin and a coon was up the tree. Just can't seem to get in tree.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-03-2020 07:50 PM
AKE is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AKE Click here to Send AKE a Private Message Find more posts by AKE Add AKE to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Clovis A Nailor
UKC Forum Member

Keep hunting him one day that light switch will come on.

Old Post 01-03-2020 07:55 PM
Clovis A Nailor is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Clovis A Nailor Click here to Send Clovis A Nailor a Private Message Click Here to Email Clovis A Nailor Find more posts by Clovis A Nailor Add Clovis A Nailor to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

Re: Training tips

quote:
Originally posted by AKE
Got a pup didn't mess with until almost a year old. Have taken him out a few times goes with older dogs and will track but can't get him to tree really. Was wondering if anyone had any ideas to get him tree. I've turned him loose on a hot coon by himself and he went in tracking about 150 then came back to me so I went to where he stopped on Garmin and a coon was up the tree. Just can't seem to get in tree.
I'm going to be blunt. The pup did his part but you weren't at the tree to do your part. Training a pup won't happen with a lazy bone attitude.

Old Post 01-05-2020 02:17 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blacksc1
UKC Forum Member

Are you implying that we as trainers should beat the dog to the tree?

Old Post 01-05-2020 04:37 PM
blacksc1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blacksc1 Click here to Send blacksc1 a Private Message Click Here to Email blacksc1 Find more posts by blacksc1 Add blacksc1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Training tips

quote:
Originally posted by pamjohnson
I'm going to be blunt. The pup did his part but you weren't at the tree to do your part. Training a pup won't happen with a lazy bone attitude.

lol, wow.......

Old Post 01-05-2020 06:09 PM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by blacksc1
Are you implying that we as trainers should beat the dog to the tree?
na just sit on the tailgate and wait . LOL as ya can tell it's working

Old Post 01-05-2020 06:48 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

quote:

Honest question: What was he supposed to do?

Old Post 01-05-2020 06:48 PM
Preacher Tom is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Training tips

quote:
Originally posted by Preacher Tom
Honest question: What was he supposed to do?

Turn loose coons and such I have mine treeing coons of a morning where I can see what they are doing way before I take them at night.

Tar

Old Post 01-05-2020 07:17 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

quote:

What about his description of the situation made him sound lazy?

Old Post 01-05-2020 07:53 PM
houndsound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Did you bring him back to tree to see how he reacted? Tried to encourage him to tree? I think that's what Pam was implying.

Old Post 01-05-2020 08:39 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AKE
UKC Forum Member

I followed dog was only about 50 yards behind him. No locate no bark on track. Leashed him pulled him up on the tree but never barked. I've turned loose a couple coons he does the same thing. That is why it stated help getting a dog to tree.

Old Post 01-05-2020 10:31 PM
AKE is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AKE Click here to Send AKE a Private Message Find more posts by AKE Add AKE to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
breezyoaks
UKC Forum Member

Treed

Better send the pup to Pam.
Will give the dog a blunt training session 😄

Patrick Barrett

Old Post 01-05-2020 10:37 PM
breezyoaks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for breezyoaks Click here to Send breezyoaks a Private Message Click Here to Email breezyoaks Find more posts by breezyoaks Add breezyoaks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by AKE
I followed dog was only about 50 yards behind him. No locate no bark on track. Leashed him pulled him up on the tree but never barked. I've turned loose a couple coons he does the same thing. That is why it stated help getting a dog to tree.

In the day time where he can see them leave accross an open field with timber on the other side. Let him get reved up when the coon gets almost to the timber cut him loose he will catch some and he will eventually tree some he is just a baby ................. keep trying till you get results.

Hope this helps.

Tar

Old Post 01-05-2020 11:12 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

I'd ad something else to what Tar said. Soak the coon down with water before you let him go. Leaves more scent on the tree when he goes up.

Old Post 01-05-2020 11:29 PM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

Blunt means in this case the short of things. I don't write fast and there is so many scenarios. The lazy means unless you have 1 of the most exceptional pups around ya have to work ta get it trained. No disrespect ment.
Be at the tree when it gets there and encourage the pup to stay and maybe open up. Stay is more important than the bark. Good luck

Old Post 01-06-2020 12:25 AM
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

I start them the way Yadkintar described.

Old Post 01-06-2020 02:33 AM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
skeets
UKC Forum Member

hunt him as much as you can stand where theres coons, hunting the hide of a dog helps them mature faster from what ive seen.with all the tree power bred in these hounds now days it shouldnt be to long for your dog goes to treeing.good luck with him.

Old Post 01-06-2020 11:50 AM
skeets is offline Click Here to See the Profile for skeets Click here to Send skeets a Private Message Click Here to Email skeets Find more posts by skeets Add skeets to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ING 194
UKC Forum Member

It starts in the yard in my opinion. If he's not barking at one there I wouldn't waste my time taking it to the woods. Some just don't make it.

Old Post 01-06-2020 01:07 PM
ING 194 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ING 194 Click here to Send ING 194 a Private Message Find more posts by ING 194 Add ING 194 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CX3
UKC Forum Member

Keep turning him loose. If he's got it, he'll do it. Just put him in coon.

John 3:16
You'd better believe it!

Old Post 01-07-2020 12:41 AM
CX3 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CX3 Click here to Send CX3 a Private Message Click Here to Email CX3 Find more posts by CX3 Add CX3 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Scotts1Hounds
UKC Forum Member

Give him some time, he'll come around. The better dogs will track before they tree.

Old Post 01-07-2020 05:10 AM
Scotts1Hounds is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Scotts1Hounds Click here to Send Scotts1Hounds a Private Message Click Here to Email Scotts1Hounds Find more posts by Scotts1Hounds Add Scotts1Hounds to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Scotts1Hounds
UKC Forum Member

Give him some time, he'll come around. The better dogs will track before they tree.

Old Post 01-07-2020 05:10 AM
Scotts1Hounds is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Scotts1Hounds Click here to Send Scotts1Hounds a Private Message Click Here to Email Scotts1Hounds Find more posts by Scotts1Hounds Add Scotts1Hounds to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Coby Wright
UKC Forum Member

I had one like that. He would burn up a track then quit when he got to the tree and come back.

I just kept putting him in the woods then one night it finally clicked that the coons climb trees and he treed a double while hunting alone. Now he's almost three and one of the best track dogs I've ever owned and also one of the most accurate and about a 130 bark a minute tree dog.

Do as yadkintar suggested and also just keep hunting him. He will figure it out. I'm told in the old days very few dogs learned to tree before learning how to trail.

At Stud: Gr. Nt. Ch. Wright's Stylish Lotto Bawls (click here to see ad)

Former Home of Gr. Nt. Ch. Bawling Rebel.

Old Post 01-08-2020 03:40 AM
Coby Wright is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Coby Wright Click here to Send Coby Wright a Private Message Visit Coby Wright's homepage! Find more posts by Coby Wright Add Coby Wright to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote