UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Independent
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Dickson
UKC Forum Member

Independent

If you hunt a dog alone from start to finish. Would he be more independent or is independents breed into them. What is y’all thoughts on that on this?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-25-2020 01:37 AM
Dickson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dickson Click here to Send Dickson a Private Message Click Here to Email Dickson Find more posts by Dickson Add Dickson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Your better off to find lines of dogs that are naturally independent. And are indifferent and just tree coons no matter what. Man made dogs will let you down at the wrong time in a cast.

Tar

Old Post 01-25-2020 01:56 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Re: Independent

quote:
Originally posted by Dickson
If you hunt a dog alone from start to finish. Would he be more independent or is independents breed into them. What is y’all thoughts on that on this?

What Tar said.
And you can't judge independence until it is hunted with strange dogs.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 01-25-2020 02:49 AM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dickson
UKC Forum Member

Thanks for y’all input.

Old Post 01-25-2020 03:05 AM
Dickson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dickson Click here to Send Dickson a Private Message Click Here to Email Dickson Find more posts by Dickson Add Dickson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Vic Stoll
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Independent

quote:
Originally posted by Redneck Mafia
And you can't judge independence until it is hunted with strange dogs.

Can I give an Amen?!?

Oh so true!

Gone but not forgotten:
Nt Ch Fanny's Midnite Blue Annie - aka Sodie Pop R.I.P. - I will miss you old girl

Nt Ch Becky’s Midnite Blue Hank - R.I.P. Old Boy, thank you for the memories

Gr Nt Ch S&E's Midnite Lite Blue Snow (Co-Owned with my good friend Harry Eidenier) - We had a blast following you ole girl!

Old Post 01-25-2020 03:32 AM
Vic Stoll is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Vic Stoll Click here to Send Vic Stoll a Private Message Find more posts by Vic Stoll Add Vic Stoll to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

quote:

Yes but it will wear off fast once you start throwing them in competition if it's not his/ her nature

Old Post 01-25-2020 01:54 PM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

quote:

It makes it less so.

Old Post 01-25-2020 04:17 PM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Independent

quote:
Originally posted by sleepy head
Yes but it will wear off fast once you start throwing them in competition if it's not his/ her nature

There are tons of dogs that naturally want to be alone. Almost half of the young dogs we start today naturally want to be alone. This "Dogs are natural pack animals" sentiment is simply not true anymore.

Old Post 01-25-2020 04:21 PM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Independent

quote:
Originally posted by Josh Michaelis
There are tons of dogs that naturally want to be alone. Almost half of the young dogs we start today naturally want to be alone. This "Dogs are natural pack animals" sentiment is simply not true anymore.

What's your point?

Old Post 01-25-2020 04:39 PM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Independent

quote:
Originally posted by sleepy head
What's your point?

Thought it was pretty clear.

Old Post 01-25-2020 05:37 PM
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Independent

quote:
Originally posted by Josh Michaelis
Thought it was pretty clear.

Since you quoted me I figured it was relevant to my post

Old Post 01-25-2020 05:41 PM
yadkintar
Banned

The point is heads up dog against dog on the same coon is competition. Having the right tree with a coon in it when others miss is competition.

Dogs getting struck on the same track at the same time then scattering to all 4 corners of the earth is Independent to a fault. And is not true pure competition.

Tar

Old Post 01-25-2020 05:50 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tar

Liked your post above, it's absolutely the TRUTH, 4 dogs striking on the first drop and going 4 different directions to tree defies everything I know about coon hunting. You expect the dogs to split tree on occasion where separate coons are struck, but not that kind of garbage, barking at the wind, hellbent in getting away from the other dogs, get a hot popup coon somewhere ( who knows how far ) is not my idea of competition hunting. I like honest strike accurate coon dogs that are indifferent to what the other dogs do, but will tree with other dogs if they are running the same coon. This man made junk that leaves trees because another dog covers them or refuses to tree with another dog that has a coon is just that junk or at least in my opinion. I want my dogs to tree every coon they smell alone or with another dog, whatever the situation they find themselves in at the time they smell a coon track. Dave

Last edited by Dave Richards on 01-25-2020 at 07:18 PM

Old Post 01-25-2020 07:15 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wart
UKC Forum Member

Dogs

The first real independent type dogs I hunted were the hardwood bozo dogs in the early 90,s some of them would go the opposite direction to get away from other dogs .Also the independent and antisocial type dogs have turned many hunters the same way they won't hunt with anybody either .

Old Post 01-25-2020 08:12 PM
wart is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wart Click here to Send wart a Private Message Find more posts by wart Add wart to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
high ridge
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
The point is heads up dog against dog on the same coon is competition. Having the right tree with a coon in it when others miss is competition.

Dogs getting struck on the same track at the same time then scattering to all 4 corners of the earth is Independent to a fault. And is not true pure competition.

Tar

Fact

Old Post 01-27-2020 12:31 AM
high ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for high ridge Click here to Send high ridge a Private Message Click Here to Email high ridge Find more posts by high ridge Add high ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
high ridge
UKC Forum Member

Re: Tar

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
Liked your post above, it's absolutely the TRUTH, 4 dogs striking on the first drop and going 4 different directions to tree defies everything I know about coon hunting. You expect the dogs to split tree on occasion where separate coons are struck, but not that kind of garbage, barking at the wind, hellbent in getting away from the other dogs, get a hot popup coon somewhere ( who knows how far ) is not my idea of competition hunting. I like honest strike accurate coon dogs that are indifferent to what the other dogs do, but will tree with other dogs if they are running the same coon. This man made junk that leaves trees because another dog covers them or refuses to tree with another dog that has a coon is just that junk or at least in my opinion. I want my dogs to tree every coon they smell alone or with another dog, whatever the situation they find themselves in at the time they smell a coon track. Dave

Bingo

Old Post 01-27-2020 12:33 AM
high ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for high ridge Click here to Send high ridge a Private Message Click Here to Email high ridge Find more posts by high ridge Add high ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

quote:
dogs should be awarded tree points just like strike points , one set awarded by the speed the trees are made ,being a mile away with a coon but 4th to make a tree should net 25 points not be rewarded with 125 we use to cull the deep alone type when we hunted for fur ,blowing out of the country was considered a fault ,

Old Post 01-27-2020 01:00 AM
thomasg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasg Click here to Send thomasg a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasg Find more posts by thomasg Add thomasg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

quote:
dogs should be awarded tree points just like strike points , one set awarded by the speed the trees are made ,being a mile away with a coon but 4th to make a tree should net 25 points not be rewarded with 125 we use to cull the deep alone type when we hunted for fur ,blowing out of the country was considered a fault ,

Old Post 01-27-2020 01:00 AM
thomasg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasg Click here to Send thomasg a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasg Find more posts by thomasg Add thomasg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

After the last two nights of hunting I ain’t got no buissness giving advice. But I am mad now these dogs are going to get the dookie hunted out them.

Tar

Old Post 01-27-2020 12:50 PM
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Tar

quote:
Originally posted by thomasg

That would reel the dogs in for sure. But I don't agree in the slightest with what you're saying. If we had your logic for rules then if you didn't make the 1st tree, might as well withdraw.

Just because dad or grandpa did something doesn't mean they were right for doing it. And I don't ever remember being told about culling the deeper hunters. I remember being told about culling the dogs with no homing instinct. And I can say if I had no GPS tracking system on my dogs I would still hunt the dogs I have. They tree coons as they come to them. I don't like a dog that relies on others to tree the coons either. I like them to be indifferent on what the others are doing. I like mine to get a piece of the first coon, them split off and get your own. But that style is hard to find currently.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 01-27-2020 01:06 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

An indifferent dog will tree coons no matter what the pack is doing but not necessarily leaving the world to do it. What is Rare to find dogs that are well rounded enough to tree any kind of coon from hot running track to a layup with speed and accuracy all in one dog hide. My problem is my female with me handling her she knows to tote the line but Corey has been handling her and she just does as she pleases that’s going to change.

A bunch of these dogs now days are only good at one thing and that’s the hotter coons.

Tar

Old Post 01-27-2020 01:16 PM
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

Absolutely agree.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 01-27-2020 01:42 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote