UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > In your opinion, and why?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Nathan Harder
UKC Forum Member

In your opinion, and why?

When do you think is the best time to get a pup? In the terms of being able to train him.
I got a pup on January with the thought process that once I and him running drags and a few roll cages that kits would hit the ground and there would be plenty of quarry. I know think that there may just be too much scent around confusing the dog. What is your thoughts/opinions/experience/preference and why?

Iraq War Vet 03-04, 05-06
RECON
618-410-3034

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-11-2018 06:03 AM
Nathan Harder is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nathan Harder Click here to Send Nathan Harder a Private Message Click Here to Email Nathan Harder Find more posts by Nathan Harder Add Nathan Harder to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chuck Allen
UKC Forum Member

I prefer JAN -APR pups but it does not always work out that way. JMHO and S/FI

The why is I can mess with them all year squirrel hunt them a little bit maybe get them in on a few hot tracks cornfield races etc. teach them basic obedience and some controlled trash breaking if required etc. and by season they should be old enough and mature enough to hunt the hair off them and the last month of season hunting them by themselves. again jmho

When the law of the land becomes unjust outlaws will rise to take their place in history.

Last edited by Chuck Allen on 07-11-2018 at 08:49 PM

Old Post 07-11-2018 08:43 PM
Chuck Allen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chuck Allen Click here to Send Chuck Allen a Private Message Find more posts by Chuck Allen Add Chuck Allen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

i feel the best time to get a pup is when you can put some time into him. doesn't matter what time of the year. the pup may be ready to get started at 6 months old or it may be a year so it can be hard to guess what would be the best time other than whenever ya put the time into them. i always prefer to have 2 young dogs at a time to keep me busy but 1 may be enough at a time, sometimes.

Old Post 07-13-2018 02:33 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

You never know at what age any pup is going to be mature enough to start. Some you can start fooling with at 6 months and some are 11-12 mos before they are mature enough. So the best time to get a pup is when you find the right bred one that you are looking for. Then tailor your training to fit that pup. Don't try to make a pup fit your training timing or methods. Time your training to fit the pup.

Old Post 07-13-2018 03:09 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

richard said it better than me but that's what i was trying to say

Old Post 07-13-2018 05:41 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nathan Harder
UKC Forum Member

So a male pup, 8 months old, not wanting to leave my side is just a waiting game. Trying all I can to get him to go. I read about some dogs running on their own at 1 year old. Just feel mine is behind the curve. What do you guys with more experience feel is a "normal" age for pups to start hunting?

Iraq War Vet 03-04, 05-06
RECON
618-410-3034

Old Post 07-13-2018 05:42 PM
Nathan Harder is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nathan Harder Click here to Send Nathan Harder a Private Message Click Here to Email Nathan Harder Find more posts by Nathan Harder Add Nathan Harder to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Undergrace316
UKC Forum Member

What's a good way to determine when your pup is mature enough. I'm in the process of training my very first pups. 2 of em. I want to avoid ruining them if I can so I'll take all the advice I can get.

Old Post 07-13-2018 06:00 PM
Undergrace316 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Undergrace316 Click here to Send Undergrace316 a Private Message Click Here to Email Undergrace316 Find more posts by Undergrace316 Add Undergrace316 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ghost14
UKC Forum Member

Like everyone stated, there is no set time. Some words of wisdom is that it’s going to be difficult for you to train 2 pups. It being your first attempt, you might want to think about choosing one to move forward with and getting rid of one of them. I’m not saying that you can’t achieve success with 2 but it’s not an easy road with 1 pup much less 2 at the same time. For them to be doing it on their own at a year old means countless hours of hunting them alone and that’s a lot of hard hunting if you’ve got 2.

Another thing to remember is take everything you hear and especially read with a grain of salt. I have been discouraged with a pups progress before when I heard of all the great and wonderful things it’s littermate’s were already doing. After going and hunting with the other littermates I found that they were no further along and some were even behind my own pup. But, that is not how their owners portray them.

Finally, don’t be easily discouraged. It’s a long hard road to the finished product and you will have something you can be proud of. Not because it’s made the best dog in the world(maybe yours will be), but proud that you stuck to it and all the blood, sweat, and tears will have payed off in a finished product you can enjoy for whatever it has become! Good luck and have fun

Old Post 07-13-2018 10:43 PM
Ghost14 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ghost14 Click here to Send Ghost14 a Private Message Click Here to Email Ghost14 Find more posts by Ghost14 Add Ghost14 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Paul Frederick
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Squatch308
So a male pup, 8 months old, not wanting to leave my side is just a waiting game.

This is what a well-known dog trainer told me he does so feel free to take with a grain of salt.

On their 6 month birthday he will take them with the old dog. If they hang around at the truck or with him, he puts them back in the pen for a month. He does this every month until they go with the old dog. Seems a bit extreme to some but if you keep taking it and taking it and the pup stays with you you are basically training the pup to be by your side. I've seen lots of young dogs who were packed to the woods too young who didn't want to do anything except follow their master around.

Forget about what you hear about other guy's dogs and the age they are running a treeing coon or even how many they are treeing a night. The truth is most of them are exaggerating some and a good number are flat out lying. I know guys that I read on Facebook every morning about treeing 5-10 coon a night and I think "man their dog is doing way better than mine" and then I draw them and am disappointed. For whatever reason they like being patted on the back so they make up stuff. Do what you can and tailor your approach to the dog like Richard said.

The guy I mentioned at the beginning of my post rarely has a young dog "doing it all" at a year old. But he's won the UKC World Hunt, placed in the single digits several times, and has some of the most consistent big winning dogs for the last 40 years. I think we get to hung up on a young dog doing everything fast and neglect to make sure they are doing it right.

Old Post 07-14-2018 12:21 AM
Paul Frederick is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Paul Frederick Click here to Send Paul Frederick a Private Message Click Here to Email Paul Frederick Find more posts by Paul Frederick Add Paul Frederick to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

Just me but I wouldn't hunt 2 pups together. It's double trouble.

Old Post 07-14-2018 02:42 AM
Chuck Allen
UKC Forum Member

I would not ever mess with a pup on a cage coon more than once or twice and that would be it.

When the law of the land becomes unjust outlaws will rise to take their place in history.

Old Post 07-14-2018 04:39 AM
Chuck Allen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chuck Allen Click here to Send Chuck Allen a Private Message Find more posts by Chuck Allen Add Chuck Allen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote