UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Breeds > Treeing Walkers > Big Money
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Big Money

I saw where a 16 dog hunt in Ohio with a $6,500 entry fee sold out within 3 minutes of the entries becoming available. Twenty years ago did anyone think that coon hunting would come to this? From good old boys hunting simply for pleasure or to sell hides to put food on their table to hunting in a $6,500 entry fee comp hunt. The world has sure changed. It is no wonder that some older coon hunters feel left out or left behind.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-20-2020 12:16 AM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Even if I could afford it I wouldn’t. Except for winning the money two weeks from that one there will be anouther one and nobody will remember who won it because you can bet your sweet bippy it won’t be a guy that punches a clock for a living.

Tar

Last edited by yadkintar on 05-20-2020 at 01:31 AM

Old Post 05-20-2020 12:40 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
Even if I could afford it I wouldn’t.

I would in a heartbeat

Old Post 05-20-2020 01:53 AM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

I bet the guy that wins the $15,000 could care less who knows it or remembers it. He will know it.

Old Post 05-20-2020 01:58 AM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

Richard did you not once say if you were gonna gamble with that kinda money you'd just as soon cut a deck of cards ???

Old Post 05-20-2020 02:04 AM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ringo08
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Even if I could afford it I wouldn’t. Except for winning the money two weeks from that one there will be anouther one and nobody will remember who won it because you can bet your sweet bippy it won’t be a guy that punches a clock for a living.

Tar

This right here!!!

Nitech Ch 'PR' Cornell's Hardwood Hurricane HTX

GrSqch 2017 Arklahoma Winter Classic Champion
The Outlaw Dottie

Old Post 05-20-2020 02:06 AM
Ringo08 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ringo08 Click here to Send Ringo08 a Private Message Find more posts by Ringo08 Add Ringo08 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Mr. Lambert

If you have 16 dogs at 6500.00 entry fee, 1st place better be more than 15000.00 even a 4 way split better be more than 6500.00 or I am not playing. My odds are much better in a high stakes poker game for a 6500.00 buy in. Dave

Old Post 05-20-2020 02:27 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Surveyor
UKC Forum Member

Just legalized gambling for a different class of people than us ordinary working man coon hunters.

2 time world finalist, 10th overall and high scoring Bluetick of the 2010 UKC World Coonhound Championship
NASHOBA VALLEY PIAZON, (RIP)
his littermate brother
UKC NT CH SHEPPARDS NORTHERN
BLUE LONER (RIP)
UKC GR NT CH RATTLERS BLUE SKY (RIP)
UKC Gr NT CH, PKC Ch Sheppard's Northern Blue Abbie, (PiazonxSky) UKC GR NT CH 'pr' Sheppards Northern Blue Punkin (PiazonXAlice) High scoring Bluetick of the 2015 (50th anniversary) Grand American, 2017 National Grand Nite Champion of breed, 2017 BBOA zone 4 Nite hunt dog of the year. Queen of hunt on 2019 Grand National Bluetick Reunion, 5th place and High Scoring Bluetick of 2019 UKC world Nite hunt Championship, 2019 Triple Crown Winner.
UKC GR NT CH 'pr' Mckintosh's Blue Flame Chopper
Gr Nt Ch Sheppards Northern Blue Goomba (Piazon X Dizzie) 14th place 2017 UKC world coon hound championship 100 purina point cast wins in 2018
and several other blueticks of lesser accomplishments

Old Post 05-20-2020 02:37 AM
Surveyor is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Surveyor Click here to Send Surveyor a Private Message Click Here to Email Surveyor Find more posts by Surveyor Add Surveyor to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

Dave $6500 covers three nights entry

Old Post 05-20-2020 02:37 AM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Donnie Stevens

That's still over 100K pot, unless I can win 15K a night it's still not good enough odds to risk 6500.00. Dave

Old Post 05-20-2020 02:51 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rick St.Clair
UKC Forum Member

1rst $15,000
2nd $8,000
3rd $5,000
4th $2,500
Each night three nights. One entry
Total pot $91,500

Old Post 05-20-2020 03:03 AM
Rick St.Clair is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rick St.Clair Click here to Send Rick St.Clair a Private Message Click Here to Email Rick St.Clair Find more posts by Rick St.Clair Add Rick St.Clair to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Rick

Thanks for posting the figures, from those figures, one would have to place no lower than 4th place every night to just break even ( 7500) counting expenses and 1st place all 3 nights would get 45,000 for the 6500.00 entry. Really not good odds in one way and pretty good odds in another way, depending on how good or consistent a dog you are hunting. Who gets the other 13500.00 from entry fees if the total pot payout is only 91500.00? Dave

Last edited by Dave Richards on 05-20-2020 at 03:25 AM

Old Post 05-20-2020 03:16 AM
wart
UKC Forum Member

Hunt

The 4 way split is around 7500.00 each so that's 30,000 per night I think it's actually more than that but it looks like about 30 to 40 hunters basically have there own kennel club

Old Post 05-20-2020 03:26 AM
wart is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wart Click here to Send wart a Private Message Find more posts by wart Add wart to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ScottCK 6
UKC Forum Member

quote:

Tar

I know for a fact there is at least two hunting in it that have day jobs. I bet you get five or six calls a day to run dogs in these big ones.

Old Post 05-20-2020 03:52 AM
ScottCK 6 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ScottCK 6 Click here to Send ScottCK 6 a Private Message Click Here to Email ScottCK 6 Find more posts by ScottCK 6 Add ScottCK 6 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by ScottCK 6
I know for a fact there is at least two hunting in it that have day jobs. I bet you get five or six calls a day to run dogs in these big ones.

If they do they got a backer or one heck of a job. Ain’t nobody wants an old ,fat guy they need a young speedster that can run like the wind.

Tar

Old Post 05-20-2020 03:58 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ScottCK 6
UKC Forum Member

quote:
If they do they got a backer or one heck of a job. Ain’t nobody wants an old ,fat guy they need a young speedster that can run like the wind.

Tar

Owner and handlers work and are not rich!

Old Post 05-20-2020 04:01 AM
ScottCK 6 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ScottCK 6 Click here to Send ScottCK 6 a Private Message Click Here to Email ScottCK 6 Find more posts by ScottCK 6 Add ScottCK 6 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ScottCK 6
UKC Forum Member

Have you seen some of these guys in the pictures, some of them are in decent shape , and a few could stand to eat a few salads!

Old Post 05-20-2020 04:03 AM
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by ScottCK 6
Have you seen some of these guys in the pictures, some of them are in decent shape , and a few could stand to eat a few salads!

Don’t matter how good a shape your in till your knees are gone. On flat ground I can walk at my pace all night but them hills and creek banks do me in. And the next day I don’t even like dogs lol. If I had $6,500 to spare me and mrs tar would on a cruise boat for a couple weeks and I would have enough to get me a better dog than I got lol.

Tar

Old Post 05-20-2020 04:10 AM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Re: Big Money

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
I saw where a 16 dog hunt in Ohio with a $6,500 entry fee sold out within 3 minutes of the entries becoming available. Twenty years ago did anyone think that coon hunting would come to this? From good old boys hunting simply for pleasure or to sell hides to put food on their table to hunting in a $6,500 entry fee comp hunt. The world has sure changed. It is no wonder that some older coon hunters feel left out or left behind.

It's been along time ago that Russ started doing this format with no kennel club affiliation. Truthfully I'm surprised it took them this long to figure out they could get a piece of the pie. The extra goes to cover non-hunting judges all three nights for all rounds. The club fee, state escrow and $kc's portion.
This is no different than just about any other hobby. Think of fishing there are those with a logo on a boat that have thousands and thousands spent on equipment, entries and travel.
The way I see it there is something for everyone you can spend as much or as little as you please.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 05-20-2020 04:20 AM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Tarbaby as many fish as you catch, you need to get you one of those fancy boats and become a Pro fisherman.

Old Post 05-20-2020 04:33 AM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Jen, that is right. There is also a hunt every night this week in Indiana with a $30 entry fee.

Last edited by Richard Lambert on 05-20-2020 at 04:50 AM

Old Post 05-20-2020 04:35 AM
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
Tarbaby as many fish as you catch, you need to get you one of those fancy boats and become a Pro fisherman.

Got a 1973 aluminum boat I do have a new motor ( don’t want to paddle ) $5 worth of boat gas and I grow my worms in the garage.

Pretty cheap fishing.

Tar

Old Post 05-20-2020 11:25 AM
Sfox91
UKC Forum Member

Gotta risk it to get the biscuit. I don’t own the caliber of dog it takes to be willing to pay a $6500 entry. But I sure am glad to see Doug Jackson back into it.

Old Post 05-20-2020 01:50 PM
Sfox91 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sfox91 Click here to Send Sfox91 a Private Message Click Here to Email Sfox91 Find more posts by Sfox91 Add Sfox91 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
John B.Dalton
UKC Forum Member

Not Much Mention of the young man winning a 40,000 dollar pickup this weekend on a 800.00 entry fee...I bet most will remember who won that or those watching him drive up in it will be reminded...This sport has plenty of room for different divisions and levels of play...Who can afford it now maybe a different subject but I would bet if you truly own a stemwinder that can compete their is someone or a group that know what one is and may help you achieve your goals.

Old Post 05-20-2020 01:59 PM
John B.Dalton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for John B.Dalton Click here to Send John B.Dalton a Private Message Visit John B.Dalton's homepage! Find more posts by John B.Dalton Add John B.Dalton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Richard to stay on topic and to try to answer your question about people seeing coon hunting coming to this. I can answer that as a YES. Now it came about with the funds coming from a different place than I though the would today. I know what was in my heart any why I wanted it to come about.

I have spent may hours on the phone with Mr. Roy talking about and brainstorming about increasing payouts for the hunts. This was back when we had $10 hunts. In honestly we did not see the big pots coming from the hunters paying large entries. We tried to figure out how to draw sponsors. Keep the entry amount low so many could afford to play. Now some may say why the big payouts. I can tell you that I wanted this to work and I think I can speak for Mr. Roy here. The main purpose in both our minds was to PROMOTE COONHUNTING. which was something both of us Loved and wanted to see grow and be recognized.

Now there are some sponsors involved. Several Car Dealers have stepped up and done well for the sport with their sponsership. But people still wanted to see the bigger and bigger payouts. So they tested the water with larger entry fees. Guess what. They found the people there were willing to enter. The sad thing is. Why put those people down or lump them into some classification other that Coon Hunter and Houndsman. They don't put all the people down that can afford or are not willing to spend that kind of money on an entry fee. Many of these same people at smaller hunts mingle and enjoy being around coon hunters. It is not the bank account but the desire in ones heart to achieve things that separates. Like I said. We can be separated by entry fees but don't be hateful towards them that play at a different level. Just do your best to promote the sport at whatever level you play it at. Respect the ones you can, avoid the ones you need to. Some that need to be avoided are also in every level of the sport. And a bank account does't identify them. Their Heart does.

Last edited by Bruce m. Conkey on 05-20-2020 at 02:18 PM

Old Post 05-20-2020 02:15 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote