UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Babbling dogs
Pages (3): « 1 2 [3]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
CWard
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by sleepy head
I think babbling is a much bigger problem down south for some reason

This is TRUE!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 09-04-2019 03:43 AM
CWard is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CWard Click here to Send CWard a Private Message Find more posts by CWard Add CWard to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sgraves
UKC Forum Member

Honalieh I believe you have a dog that jealous trees mixed up with one that splits an has his own coon. Some dogs that have been corrected for backing another dog will split tree close by. They know coon is there , but dare not tree with another dog. Totally different than a dog split treeing an haven a coon to himself.

Old Post 09-04-2019 06:46 AM
Sgraves is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sgraves Click here to Send Sgraves a Private Message Click Here to Email Sgraves Find more posts by Sgraves Add Sgraves to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Pat Bizich
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Sgraves
Honalieh I believe you have a dog that jealous trees mixed up with one that splits an has his own coon. Some dogs that have been corrected for backing another dog will split tree close by. They know coon is there , but dare not tree with another dog. Totally different than a dog split treeing an haven a coon to himself.

BINGO!!!
And I believe some of you replying on this post are CONFUSING real babblers or even dogs running trash with TRUE COLD NOSED DOGS and making fun of the people that actually own such colder nosed dogs.
Too bad we can't scratch some of you habitual human babblers on this forum for BABBLING!

Gone but never forgotten:
NtChGrCh Dryfork Punkin
NtChGrCh Dryfork Little Blue Baby Doll
2009 Pa Show Dog Of The Year
GrCh Dryfork Little Black Book
Gr.Ch. Make My Day Sunny
Gone too soon RIP my baby girl
Gr.Ch. Black Dog Black Cherry
GrCh Dryfork Black Dog Raine
One of kind and would make a believer out of you when you thought there were no coon left
Home of:
2009,2013,2018 Pa. State
Show Handler Of The Year
CH. Power Pack Pepper
2018 Pa. Show Dog Of Year
Gr.Ch. Batman's Poison Ivy
2011&2013 WTDA Pa State Champion
2011&2013 Overall Hunt For The Cure
Ch. Jay's Greenridge Heidi
In memory of my best friend "Jay"

Old Post 09-04-2019 02:05 PM
Pat Bizich is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Pat Bizich Click here to Send Pat Bizich a Private Message Find more posts by Pat Bizich Add Pat Bizich to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Pat Bizich
BINGO!!!
And I believe some of you replying on this post are CONFUSING real babblers or even dogs running trash with TRUE COLD NOSED DOGS and making fun of the people that actually own such colder nosed dogs.
Too bad we can't scratch some of you habitual human babblers on this forum for BABBLING!

I learned babbling 101 from you lol.

Tar

Old Post 09-04-2019 02:09 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J.H. Sills
UKC Forum Member

quote:
BINGO!!!

Sometimes you wish you could scratch a handler for babbling.

Old Post 09-04-2019 02:10 PM
J.H. Sills is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J.H. Sills Click here to Send J.H. Sills a Private Message Click Here to Email J.H. Sills Find more posts by J.H. Sills Add J.H. Sills to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sgraves
UKC Forum Member

quote:
BINGO!!!

It really has nothing to do with a babbling. Two dogs can strick the same track that may very possibly be two coon . One may tree quicker than the other. To me the dog that goes on an gets split an has his own coon is smarter. Some of you may disagree an that’s fine. I was always told that a good coon dog will locate an tree , but might get down an circle the tree to check himself an comeback or go on if coon is not there. I believe that is what happens a lot when one gets split. That dog that splits deserves full credit for doing that.

Old Post 09-04-2019 02:25 PM
Sgraves is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sgraves Click here to Send Sgraves a Private Message Click Here to Email Sgraves Find more posts by Sgraves Add Sgraves to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Pat Bizich
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
I learned babbling 101 from you lol.

Tar

NO man you are the king and that is not a compliment

NtChGrCh Dryfork Punkin
Gr.Ch. Make My Day Sunny
One of kind and would make a believer out of you when you thought there were no coon left
Home of:
2009,2013,2018 Pa. State
Show Handler Of The Year
CH. Power Pack Pepper

Old Post 09-04-2019 02:31 PM
Pat Bizich is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Pat Bizich Click here to Send Pat Bizich a Private Message Find more posts by Pat Bizich Add Pat Bizich to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Pat Bizich
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Sgraves
It really has nothing to do with a babbling. Two dogs can strick the same track that may very possibly be two coon . One may tree quicker than the other. To me the dog that goes on an gets split an has his own coon is smarter. Some of you may disagree an that’s fine. I was always told that a good coon dog will locate an tree , but might get down an circle the tree to check himself an comeback or go on if coon is not there. I believe that is what happens a lot when one gets split. That dog that splits deserves full credit for doing that.

You misunderstand my comparison.
The person making the assumption of what a dog is doing and why is all in how you are viewing and comprehending what you are actually hearing or seeing.

NtChGrCh Dryfork Punkin
Gr.Ch. Make My Day Sunny
Home of:
2009,2013,2018 Pa. State
Show Handler Of The Year
CH. Power Pack Pepper

Old Post 09-04-2019 02:34 PM
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
NO man you are the king and that is not a compliment

Dogs are cut pat struck for 100 under the minute that’s the way I am seeing it lol.

Tar

Old Post 09-04-2019 02:40 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

quote:
You misunderstand my comparison.
The person making the assumption of what a dog is doing and why is all in how you are viewing and comprehending what you are actually hearing or seeing.

Yep, when these crops get out of the fields I'm going to turn a coon loose walk a medium nose dog ( today's standard)over the track every half hour when that dog shows no interest in it, I'll wait a full hour and take my cold nosed dog over it. I think she will light up and put a end to it easily. I've all ready witnessed it while hunting only it was 2 hours after. Not saying I like her being cold nosed but she is

Old Post 09-04-2019 02:47 PM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Pat Bizich
Banned

And if trust my dog and want to strike it in that is my decision.
Just because I strike in under a minute or after a minute has no bearing on whether it is babbling or running a track.
Whether the other dogs are opening has no bearing.
An intelligent judge should be using his experience as well as what he is seeing to make the decision if the dog is babbling.

And that is my argument and the original posters complaint. TOO MANY of these hunting judges can't tell the difference.

NtChGrCh Dryfork Punkin
Gr.Ch. Make My Day Sunny
Home of:
2009,2013,2018 Pa. State
Show Handler Of The Year
CH. Power Pack Pepper

Old Post 09-04-2019 02:48 PM
johnny reb
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Babbling

quote:
Originally posted by honalieh
That's exactly what I'm saying. And, I'm speaking from experience. I've had a couple that would split tree to a fault. They weren't nearly as good as the better dogs that were already treed with the meat.

If I have (and I have had) a dog that is consistently split-treeing, I know that I'm short on dog power with that dog. This is totally different than a legitimate 1st tree dog that HOLDS UNDER SPLIT PRESSURE. Totally different class and quality of dog!

If I were to race Usain Bolt (fastest human), I'm totally outclassed and out of my league. He will be first to the finish line. But, being totally outclassed, I change MY FINISH LINE to the hot dog stand (I will be the 1st there). SHOULD I GET JUST AS MUCH CREDIT AS USAIN BOLT??? So, with our split tree rules, Usain gets 125 finish line (tree) points, and I get 125 finish line (tree) points. But, as he was smoking me at the start, I vocalized "Oh, my God, I can't compete with him". Having opened my mouth 1st, I've got 1st strike.

I WIN!!!

NASCAR: (Outdated I know). Jimmie Johnson is 10 laps ahead of Dale Jr. Dale Jr. pulls out of the race and goes to a nearby track, where he finishes his laps all alone. With our split tree rules it's a tie! They started on the same track, but, once Dale Jr. realizes he can't compete, he peels off and finds a different track. ARE THEY REALLY EQUAL, AND, IF YOU THINK SO, WHY DO YOU THINK SO?

I do not understand you’re logic about a dog being split not being as good as a dog that got treed on a separate tree. They both went out found a track and took that track to the end of the line. They both have coons so why not award the dogs? You want to call getting split undeserved points or something to that effect. If you want to talk about undeserved points how about the dog that 1/2 mile to the south running a track and a dog to the north gets treed and olnsouthhound turns north wide freaking open and gets 2nd tree. Those are the ones that need minuses fornquitting tracks not ok split tree.

Old Post 09-04-2019 03:02 PM
johnny reb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnny reb Click here to Send johnny reb a Private Message Click Here to Email johnny reb Find more posts by johnny reb Add johnny reb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Pat Bizich
Banned

I got things to do.LOL Got to go.
One more thing to chew on here.
It has been written that dogs have comparatively the same sense of smell . I can't verify true or not.
Suppose to be that each dog has a different excitability as to what makes them open and others ignore tracks.
Some time ago there was a study done by a bunch of college students as a project. They tested the sense of smell of blind folded dogs.
They had what they called a SMET test. I am thinking in the early -mid eighties this was published in Full Cry. I may even have saved it.
They blind folded dogs . Had test tubes filled with various scents and recorded the reactions of each dog .
They some what proved hounds all had about the same sense of smell. It was the excitability factor that causes dogs to open more quickly than others.

NtChGrCh Dryfork Punkin
Gr.Ch. Make My Day Sunny
Home of:
2009,2013,2018 Pa. State
Show Handler Of The Year
CH. Power Pack Pepper

Old Post 09-04-2019 03:07 PM
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

"Some time ago there was a study done by a bunch of college students as a project. They tested the sense of smell of blind folded dogs.
They had what they called a SMET test. I am thinking in the early -mid eighties this was published in Full Cry. I may even have saved it."

Pat, I remember reading that same article. Bunch of horse hockey in my book! Watched many hounds over the years with average nose go right over tracks and never acknowledge a track was there only to have a truly cold nosed hound pick it up behind them and work it up to a running track which then was joined in on by the hound that in the begining, never knew existed.

I can't stand a babbler or a hound that can't move what they open on. One of the best pleasure dogs I ever followed was a son of Vaughns Mack II. Most now a days wouldn't appreciate what he was. There were times when Drum would open on tracks he couldn't finish. In those instances he'd give them up if he couldn't move them or he could be called off. He made Nite Ch. in 6 UKC hunts with 2 1st places. One of those wins came at a hunt in VA in the midst of an early March snow storm in the mid 1980's. I believe there were only 3 casts and Drum was the only dog to come in with plus points.

Drum was a pleasure hunters dream, a hound most wouldn't own today.

Old Post 09-04-2019 05:59 PM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote