UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Parvo!!
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Austin
UKC Forum Member

Parvo!!

I have a 6 month old female that just got parvo took her to the vet today and they are keeping her for the next few days. What is the best thing for me to do? I'll have to go get her in a couple days cause of bill being to high. What can I do when I get her home and how long will parvo stay with one. Thanks for any help.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-17-2020 01:13 AM
Austin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Austin Click here to Send Austin a Private Message Find more posts by Austin Add Austin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Re: Parvo!!

quote:
Originally posted by Austin
I have a 6 month old female that just got parvo took her to the vet today and they are keeping her for the next few days. What is the best thing for me to do? I'll have to go get her in a couple days cause of bill being to high. What can I do when I get her home and how long will parvo stay with one. Thanks for any help.

If she survives by the time she gets done at the vet you shouldn't have to do much. The key to survival is hydration so the vet will be giving her fluids intravenously. The dehydration is what kills them. Most within a few days stop the diarrhea and vomiting and go right back to eating. I would feed her rice, chicken and pumpkin for first few days to help her get back on her feet then she will be fine to eat regular dog food again. You will know because it will be like you flipped a switch in her. A good multivitamin won't hurt anything and liver with cottage cheese to help build her back up.

*Reminder to everyone puppies need to complete their entire shot schedule! It is not 1 or 2 and done, the shots that are given after 16 weeks provide the most immunity, don't skip them.
In having so many different pups come in here to run loose over the last nearly 20 years I have had to treat pups here and there but it has been a long while. I've learned to ask the right questions and immunize theirs on the same schedule I do mine.
Tac our 3 year old just got his booster today.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 06-17-2020 04:35 AM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Austin
UKC Forum Member

Thanks

They said she was doing better today going to keep her another night. Will it be ok to put her back in the same kennel or should I move her somewhere else for a while? She was absolutely fine when I put her in a week ago when I got her

Old Post 06-17-2020 03:39 PM
Austin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Austin Click here to Send Austin a Private Message Find more posts by Austin Add Austin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Parvo will lay dormant and be in the ground for a year or 2. You will have to spray the ground with bleach wherever the pup was.

Old Post 06-17-2020 06:06 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Re: Thanks

quote:
Originally posted by Austin
They said she was doing better today going to keep her another night. Will it be ok to put her back in the same kennel or should I move her somewhere else for a while? She was absolutely fine when I put her in a week ago when I got her

As Richard said you need to spray everything thing down with bleach to protect any other dogs you may have or get. She will now be immune for years and probably for her lifetime so she will be fine to put back into that kennel.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 06-18-2020 03:05 AM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
James Garrison
UKC Forum Member

The dog house she was in needs to be sprayed real good with bleach and I have burnt them and put them in new dog house.

Gr. Nt. Ch. Garrisons Brindle Hobo
Gr. Nt. Ch. Garrisons Brindle Luke
Gr. Nt. Ch. Garrisons Brindle Honey
Nite Ch. Garrisons Brindle Lead Nite Ch. Garrisons Brindle Belle
Nite Champion Garrisons Brindle Buckshot HTX
At Stud Grand Nite Ch. Garrisons Brindle Trax

Old Post 06-18-2020 11:50 AM
James Garrison is offline Click Here to See the Profile for James Garrison Click here to Send James Garrison a Private Message Click Here to Email James Garrison Find more posts by James Garrison Add James Garrison to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
River Birch Run
UKC Forum Member

Most of us give our own shots and think any 5 way will do. Thats not the case. You have to make sure they do not contain the live virus. Also that the shots have been handled properly, meaning kept cold. I always buy my first 2 rounds of shots from the vet. I worry about the handling and shipping at the farm stores. Back to the live virus thing, so this is what happens. Pups are born with some immunity if the dam has had her shots. So the problem is there is a period of time that each pup has enough immunity left to reject the shot but can still pick up the virus if it comes in contact with it. Each pup has its own time table on this. So you have a litter together and give them there shots. With the live virus, when the pups potty they shed the virus (in the shot) they were given in there stole. So a pup that rejected the shot can get parvo from the stole of pups that shed it. Thats why pups that have had there shots can still get it. This is also why pups need at least two rounds of shots. Unless you take them to the vet and get a titter test after the 1st round you have know way of knowing if they rejected there 1st shot or not. The older the pup is when they get there 1st shot the less chance of this happening, but a higher risk of picking up something in the mean time.

Old Post 06-19-2020 12:38 PM
River Birch Run is offline Click Here to See the Profile for River Birch Run Click here to Send River Birch Run a Private Message Find more posts by River Birch Run Add River Birch Run to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnny reb
UKC Forum Member

As already mentioned you need to disinfect the kennel and dog house the pup was in. You also need to disinfect all the other kennels as well. If possible when you bring the pup home you need to keep it away from the other dogs. Even after a Parvo vaccine is given it takes about 2 weeks for the vaccine to be effective. I don’t know what you do with the waste from kennels. I would get the waste off the property. Parvo is very hardy and can lay in the ground up to two years. As far as caring for the pup when it’s back home I would give it some plain yogurt or cottage cheese to put some of the much needed good bacteria in it’s stomach.

Old Post 06-19-2020 04:46 PM
johnny reb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnny reb Click here to Send johnny reb a Private Message Click Here to Email johnny reb Find more posts by johnny reb Add johnny reb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thomasramsey
New UKC Forum Member

this reminds me of our beagle, in just a span of 4days of having a parvo, he died. We got him to vet but was not able to save him.

Old Post 02-25-2021 04:21 AM
thomasramsey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasramsey Click here to Send thomasramsey a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasramsey Find more posts by thomasramsey Add thomasramsey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bfreeman
UKC Forum Member

Just my experience with parvo.. we moved into my wife's grandfathers old house where he had a barn with 2 concrete kennels on either side. My father in law said his dad raised rabbit beagles there until he started having problems with parvo. They sprayed all the kennels with bleach and treated it with no luck. We moved in roughly 20 years after her grandfather had left and had any beagles in the lot. I thought I would be fine being that 20 years had passed and I cleaned the kennels again with bleach and started to keep my hounds in there. As soon as I got a redbone puppy and put him in the lot he got parvo within a week and died. I had vaccinated this pup the same as all the others in the litter and this one was the only one in contact with that kennel. No others puppies got it just him. Good luck and hope your dog makes a full recovery but Parvo is some nasty stuff and I take it very serious after this experience.

Old Post 02-25-2021 04:31 PM
Bfreeman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bfreeman Click here to Send Bfreeman a Private Message Find more posts by Bfreeman Add Bfreeman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote