UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > UKC Free Classifieds > Coonhound Classifieds > Blueticks: Stud Dog and Kennel Promotion > Independent???
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Ryan Karl
UKC Forum Member

Mike, piazon is at the top of the list for independence from what I’ve been told and seen. He definitely left his mark. You ought to sell me a couple straws on piazon. I would appreciate it lol

Milano, Tx

Nitech CH Nolan Creek Pride
Nolan Creek Joy

R.I.P.

Grnitech Grch pr Nolan Creek Prides Maverick HTX 3

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-12-2020 06:24 PM
Ryan Karl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ryan Karl Click here to Send Ryan Karl a Private Message Click Here to Email Ryan Karl Find more posts by Ryan Karl Add Ryan Karl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
southernthunder
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Surveyor
The one that I'm obviously most familiar with is Piazon. Like himself, he threw a high percentage of pups that were naturally independent and payed little to no mind of what the dogs around them were doing. I can't think of seeing him or any of his offspring leave because another dog covered them, though I did own a litter mate brother to Piazon I appropriately named Loner that sometimes would. I once had a guy pull me aside on a cast one night while hunting my Abbie female and say tell me the truth do you have something stuffed in her ears so she can't hear other dogs lol. There is a young dog out of Goomba (a Piazon son) named Brutus that is carrying on the family natural independence characteristic . It's a trait I personally can't go to a hunt without. I could take no pride in winning a cast because my dog went along with someone else's and backed them on coon they treed.

I agree with you 100% I want to win because the hound went and treed its own coon. I don't have room for me too dogs

Southern Thunder Bluetick Kennels

At Stud: GRNITECH PR HAMLIN'S BLUE WHIP
PERFORMANCE SIRE $300 STUD FEE

HOME OF: GRNITECH GRCH PR HAMLIN'S DAVIE CROCKET HTX
2015 TRIPLE CROWN CHAMPION
2015 PURINA RACE BREED CHAMPION
2015 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITECH BLUETICK
2015 AUTUMN OAKS GRAND 16
2015 AUTUMN OAKS BBOA / BBCHA HIGH SCORING BLUETICK
2015 WINTER CLASSIC DOUBLE CAST WINNER PURINA POINTS EVENT
2015 WINTER CLASSIC BBOA HIGH SCORING BLUETICK
2015 ARKANSAS STATE PURINA CONTENDER CAST WINNER / HIGH SCORE
2015 MISSOURI STATE PURINA CONTENDER CAST WINNER / HIGH SCORE
2015 OKLAHOMA STATE PURINA CONTENDER CAST WINNER
2015 KENTUCKY STATE PURINA CONTENDER CAST WINNER
2015 INDIANA STATE PURINA CONTEDER CAST WINNER
2015 BBOA ZONE 7 CHAMPION / DOUBLE CAST WINNER / HIGH SCORE / KING OF HUNT
2015 BBOA TEXAS STATE CHAMPION / HIGH SCORE / KING OF HUNT
2015 BBOA / WESTERN ENGLISH SHOOTOUT DOUBLE CAST WINNER / HIGH SCORE / KING OF HUNT
2015 UNITED ENGLISH ARKANSAS STATE CHAMPIONSHIP CHAMPION / HIGH SCORE OVERALL CHAMPION
2015 BBOA YOUTH NATIONALS CAST WINNER 2ND OVERALL HIGH SCORE
2015 BBOA ZONE 7 HOUND OF THE YEAR
2015 BBOA/BBCHA GRAND REUNION RQE 1ST PLACE IOWA
2015 BBOA NATIONAL BLUETICK DAYS INVITATIONAL CAST WINNER / 1ST RUNNER UP
2015 ELBERT VAUGHN MEMORIAL CHAMPION
2015 BILL JACKSON MEMORIAL CHAMPION
2015 BOOMER SOONER CLASSIC CHAMPION
2015 WESTERN ENGLISH SPRING CLASSIS CAST WINNER
2015 OKLAHOMA STATE YOUTH CHAMPIONSHIP CAST WINNER
2015 BLUETICK CHALLENGE CHAMPION
2015 BBOA OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION / DOUBLE CAST WINNER / HIGH SCORE / KING OF HUNT
2015 UKC WORLD HUNT CAST WINNER
2016 PURINA NATIONALS CAST WINNER / BREED CHAMPION / HIGH SCORING BLUETICK
5 Time World Qualifier and 3 Peat Zone Champion
Too many wins to list them all
2020 Performance Sire at Stud
GRCH GRNITECH PR HAMLIN'S DAVIE CROCKET HTX

Thanks to everyone who has breed to Crocket or is hunting one of his offspring

Old Post 10-12-2020 07:27 PM
southernthunder is offline Click Here to See the Profile for southernthunder Click here to Send southernthunder a Private Message Find more posts by southernthunder Add southernthunder to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nextcoonhunters
UKC Forum Member

Just curious about this independent thing

So when you'll cut loose in a 4 dog cast, if turned in on a hot track just what do you expect your dog to do? There's only a few options I can think of.
A: dog put in with the others and tree the sucker
B: dog either go a different direction or go deeper past that track and find it's own so it's not me tooing along with other hounds.
C: just stand there and look stupid
Or If your dog does something else please elaborate.

Old Post 10-12-2020 09:31 PM
nextcoonhunters is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nextcoonhunters Click here to Send nextcoonhunters a Private Message Find more posts by nextcoonhunters Add nextcoonhunters to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ryan Karl
UKC Forum Member

Independent hound doesn’t care about other dogs, he runs track and tree’s a coon. Doesn’t matter what anything else does.

Dead independent goes a different direction or deeper. Doesn’t want to be with anything.

Independent to a fault hound runs the track and tree’s first but leaves when other dogs pack in on the tree.

Milano, Tx

Nolan Creek Joy

R.I.P.

Old Post 10-12-2020 09:48 PM
Ryan Karl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ryan Karl Click here to Send Ryan Karl a Private Message Click Here to Email Ryan Karl Find more posts by Ryan Karl Add Ryan Karl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
southernthunder
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Ryan Karl
Independent hound doesn’t care about other dogs, he runs track and tree’s a coon. Doesn’t matter what anything else does.

Dead independent goes a different direction or deeper. Doesn’t want to be with anything.

Independent to a fault hound runs the track and tree’s first but leaves when other dogs pack in on the tree.

good explanation

2015 BBOA / WESTERN ENGLISH SHOOTOUT DOUBLE CAST WINNER / HIGH SCORE / KING OF HUNT
2015 UNITED ENGLISH ARKANSAS STATE CHAMPIONSHIP CHAMPION / HIGH SCORE OVERALL CHAMPION
2015 BBOA OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION / DOUBLE CAST WINNER / HIGH SCORE / KING OF HUNT

Old Post 10-12-2020 10:03 PM
southernthunder is offline Click Here to See the Profile for southernthunder Click here to Send southernthunder a Private Message Find more posts by southernthunder Add southernthunder to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nextcoonhunters
UKC Forum Member

Mee too or slower track dog

quote:

So a slightly slower track but independent hound could consistently look like a me too dog?

Old Post 10-12-2020 10:05 PM
nextcoonhunters is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nextcoonhunters Click here to Send nextcoonhunters a Private Message Find more posts by nextcoonhunters Add nextcoonhunters to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ryan Karl
UKC Forum Member

If he is consistently covered on track by a faster track dog. If not, I would expect the dog to by by himself a majority of the time as he is not going to run to a hound that is struck in. He should leave out every time like he is being hunted alone.

Milano, Tx

Nolan Creek Joy

R.I.P.

Old Post 10-12-2020 11:16 PM
nextcoonhunters
UKC Forum Member

Okay so what do you guys want one to do

quote:
Originally posted by nextcoonhunters
So when you'll cut loose in a 4 dog cast, if turned in on a hot track just what do you expect your dog to do? There's only a few options I can think of.
A: dog put in with the others and tree the sucker
B: dog either go a different direction or go deeper past that track and find it's own so it's not me tooing along with other hounds.
C: just stand there and look stupid
Or If your dog does something else please elaborate.

Old Post 10-13-2020 02:16 AM
gcblues
UKC Forum Member

Independent

I watched a 2 hour hunt last night 10 coons treed . Every tree was made by single dogs .

Old Post 10-13-2020 02:36 AM
gcblues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gcblues Click here to Send gcblues a Private Message Find more posts by gcblues Add gcblues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ryan Karl
UKC Forum Member

If I cut loose on top of a hot track I would expect my hound to run and tree it. That’s that particular situation. Now when I cut my hound loose in a cast. I want to be able to cut him facing west while everyone else cuts north, and my hound continues to shoot out west. Not to horse race with the other hounds to just do it. If they strike a track 50 yards away from my hound I expect my hound to not cover them but to continue like they are deaf. Not dysfunctional. Of coarse these are things I want, not necessarily what I always have.

Milano, Tx

Nolan Creek Joy

R.I.P.

Old Post 10-13-2020 02:45 AM
gcblues
UKC Forum Member

Independent

Re: Loner
quote:
Originally posted by gcblues
Will this hound you describe stay treed if another dog covers it?

My experience they’ll stay if it’s their tree . I have two females like that. In thin coon and rough terrain it frustrates me at times. Makes me turn one at a time unless I have plenty of time.

The reason I asked, around 15 years ago I owned one that was a dead loner. That sucker would leave his tree if another dog came in and covered him. Would hold all the pressure in the world, but absolutely never did tree with another dog, even when he made the tree. I’d say he was probably an exception, but his type of independence I feel was driven by quirkiness or social dysfunction as some say. From my limited experience, the ones that just do their own thing every time you cast them and are unaffected by other dogs around them sure don’t come in bunches, nor are they commonly reproduced. If any gyp/stud threw this trait in 1/4 of every litter they had regardless of the other dog mated with, their owner would be extremely fortunate.

If mine strike the track hot with another dog they’ll go the distance and tree with them. If a dog comes in to them they’ll stay. I’d be pissed if they leave their tree lol.

They both have Piazon up close.

Old Post 10-13-2020 02:46 AM
gcblues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gcblues Click here to Send gcblues a Private Message Find more posts by gcblues Add gcblues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ryan Karl
UKC Forum Member

I agree, I never want one to leave a tree. Come hell or high water he better be there.

Milano, Tx

Nolan Creek Joy

R.I.P.

Old Post 10-13-2020 02:58 AM
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

Doesn't it really boil down to what ever works for the dog to get a win.
If there slow tracking why track against other dogs? Ya need to shock them away from the other dogs tracking.
If they are not a quality enough track dog to make the correct tree with a coon why have them back another dog? Shock them off trees with other dogs.
The list just keeps going.
A good trainer and lots of dogs may be the answer.

Old Post 10-13-2020 02:07 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Surveyor
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by pamjohnson
Doesn't it really boil down to what ever works for the dog to get a win.
If there slow tracking why track against other dogs? Ya need to shock them away from the other dogs tracking.
If they are not a quality enough track dog to make the correct tree with a coon why have them back another dog? Shock them off trees with other dogs.
The list just keeps going.
A good trainer and lots of dogs may be the answer.

Pam
This post is about naturally independant dogs, not man made. I hardly ever shock a dog for anything in fact I struggle with my garmin trying to remember how, in rare instances I think I need, to use the shock function.

2 time world finalist, 10th overall and high scoring Bluetick of the 2010 UKC World Coonhound Championship
NASHOBA VALLEY PIAZON, (RIP)
his littermate brother
UKC NT CH SHEPPARDS NORTHERN
BLUE LONER (RIP)
UKC GR NT CH RATTLERS BLUE SKY (RIP)
UKC Gr NT CH, PKC Ch Sheppard's Northern Blue Abbie, (PiazonxSky) UKC GR NT CH 'pr' Sheppards Northern Blue Punkin (PiazonXAlice) High scoring Bluetick of the 2015 (50th anniversary) Grand American, 2017 National Grand Nite Champion of breed, 2017 BBOA zone 4 Nite hunt dog of the year. Queen of hunt on 2019 Grand National Bluetick Reunion, 5th place and High Scoring Bluetick of 2019 UKC world Nite hunt Championship, 2019 Triple Crown Winner.
UKC GR NT CH 'pr' Mckintosh's Blue Flame Chopper
Gr Nt Ch Sheppards Northern Blue Goomba (Piazon X Dizzie) 14th place 2017 UKC world coon hound championship 100 purina point cast wins in 2018
and several other blueticks of lesser accomplishments

Old Post 10-13-2020 03:04 PM
Surveyor is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Surveyor Click here to Send Surveyor a Private Message Click Here to Email Surveyor Find more posts by Surveyor Add Surveyor to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nextcoonhunters
UKC Forum Member

Don't mean to highjack the post but

Naturally independent plus man trained and can tree coons!!!!
So what's missing? A few dogs have been described in this post so what traits is missing? Why ain't those independent, go there own way and get a coon treed on the front page each month? Just what traits missing? This question is asked not to offend anyone, just curious what other traits we need to be looking to put in to win it all?

Last edited by nextcoonhunters on 10-13-2020 at 05:21 PM

Old Post 10-13-2020 03:40 PM
Heikki
UKC Forum Member

Re: Don't mean to highjack the post but

quote:
Originally posted by nextcoonhunters
Naturally independent plus man trained and can tree coons!!!!
So what's missing? A few dogs have been described in this post so what traits is missing? Why ain't those independent, go there own way and get a coon treed on the front page each month? Just what traits missing? This question is asked not to offend anyone, just curious what other traits we need to be looking to put in to win it all?

In my case the trait missing is me! Like a lot of others In coon hunting When you have to work everyday & have a family, time is hard to come bye. As far as naturally independent once you have that true natural independent, accurate, get gone type dog it will change your standards forever. These type of blue dogs are not abundantly available

NtCh Yeager’s Poison Ivy
PKC CH The Midnight Toker
2023 Spring SS Freshman Champion

Old Post 10-13-2020 06:33 PM
Heikki is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Heikki Click here to Send Heikki a Private Message Click Here to Email Heikki Find more posts by Heikki Add Heikki to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
steeb_63
UKC Forum Member

im just reading this post and im with Vic where are the other traits?? im no handler and know for a fact its a problem with lonesome. along with an automatic strike dog and alotta luck it will happen someday. i believe B C was close and i would like to produce one of the same. lonesome is for sure a loner who is reproducing a good percentage of that same trait. im just waiting for the right one to pop out

2018 2ND PLACE BREED WINNER PKC
2019 ILLINOIS STATE CHAMPION
2019 AUTUMN OAKS GRAND 16
2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATL GRNITECH OF BREED
2019 ZONE 3 HIGH SCORING DOG
2019 WORLD CH TOP 100
2019 PURINA NATIONALS BREED WINNER.
2019 FALL ROUND UP KING OF THE HUNT.
2019 ERCHA PKC PRO HUNT TOP 4
2020 WINTER CLASSIC SAT. 4TH PLACE CHAMPION DIVISION
2020 WORLD QUALIIFIED
2020 NATIONAL BLUETICK DAYS INVITATIONAL HUNT WINNER
2020 NATIONAL BLUETICK DAYS DOUBLE CAST WINNER 3RD PLACE GRNITECH FRI AND 4TH PLACE GRNITECH SAT
2020 Natl english days high scoring dog overall fri 1rst place grnitech sat 3rd place grnitech.
2021 invitational hunt winner
2021 natl bluetick days 9th place RQE winner
T0C Top 64 winner

ALSO HOME OF
PR Stebers Lil Blue Krayzee[dual grand penny x grnitech krypt]
nitech Stebers Big Ole Slick
NITECH STEBERS MIGHTY LONESOME 3 AKA CASH[7 wins towards grnitech
Stebers Mighty Blue Bell
Stebers 5 Gen
Stebers Pure Country
Stebers Shining Diamond
Stebers Lonesome Sue
Stebers Mighty Blue Patsy
Stebers Ole Blue Betty
Stebers Lil Blue Krayzee II
AND SEVERAL YOUNG ONES IN THE MIX

Old Post 10-13-2020 07:46 PM
steeb_63 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for steeb_63 Click here to Send steeb_63 a Private Message Click Here to Email steeb_63 Find more posts by steeb_63 Add steeb_63 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gcblues
UKC Forum Member

Independent

I’m not sure what you mean “other traits” but besides being independent I like them to go hunting, open on track , be accurate. Having a good mouth and doing it all fast is also nice . Same thing we all want .Mine have some of these lol. Part of the trouble is definitely me. I don’t hunt enough and I’m too quick to call it a night . I work 5 days a week and These Fla woods discourage me .Im not that tough .

Old Post 10-13-2020 11:00 PM
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Surveyor
Pam
This post is about naturally independant dogs, not man made. I hardly ever shock a dog for anything in fact I struggle with my garmin trying to remember how, in rare instances I think I need, to use the shock function.

maybe natural, maybe not. I guess that depends on the goal. Are ya breeding and want to reproduce the trait or are ya a comp hunter and want a good one to win with.
Most professional athletes have a trainer that helps bring out the best in a hopefully already great prospect. Coonhounds aren't no different.

Most breeders don't go pro. The pro's don't breed because
there plenty busy with a single individual and don't really worry about what it's breeding is , just how it can win.

Old Post 10-13-2020 11:59 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ryan Karl
UKC Forum Member

I’m talking about genetically independent, not shock collar independence. Pro athletes have to have the genetics to be great athletes. A true “puncher” in boxing is born with power, can’t be man made. You can’t teach heart, grit, the will to win.

Milano, Tx

Nolan Creek Joy

R.I.P.

Old Post 10-14-2020 03:04 AM
Ryan Karl
UKC Forum Member

A dog needs the entire package. I’m not saying that if a hound is independent that he can win everything. You need the package. And in my opinion, independence is high on the list of things needed.

Milano, Tx

Nolan Creek Joy

R.I.P.

Old Post 10-14-2020 03:10 AM
southernthunder
UKC Forum Member

quote:
A dog needs the entire package. I’m not saying that if a hound is independent that he can win everything. You need the package. And in my opinion, independence is high on the list of things needed.

being independent is the same as being a leader. leaders have the brains to lead same as independent hounds have the ability to do their own thing. followers are the same as the me too dogs in my opinion. pack dogs rely on the leader to get the job done. I'm with you that independence is at the top of my list also. I want to hunt a leader not a follower.

Old Post 10-14-2020 03:57 AM
nextcoonhunters
UKC Forum Member

Top of the list

I rank independence high in the list of hunting traits. But it's a long ways from the most important to me. First and foremost I want accurateness. Does no good in my opinion if the dog is by itself and slick. First on the tree to last on a tree, with dogs or all alone it best have the meat or it doesn't matter anyway. For me faults with independence would be, like the Joe dog I hunted if it doesn't finish the track because it gets beat to the tree, if one leaves when dogs come in, or if the dog out ranges it's mouth on a regular basis. It does no good in a hunt if the dog gets gone treed with the meat but everytime is out of hearing. And that seems to be a problem around here in all breeds lately. But yes a dog needs to have its own brain. Enough to be able to get it done on its own, plus go on when others pull slick and getter done. I don't like me too dogs at all. But when they really look stupid is when they cover slick.

Old Post 10-14-2020 12:55 PM
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

Well, naturally independent to the degree you fellows want I have not seen, atleast not a worthwhile dog. So I have no help for you. Even if I owned it I would guess it would be a mentally dysfunctional dog unless it had training that caused it to operate in the fashion you fellows want.
I have seen some nice independent dogs don't get me wrong just not independent to the degree you fellows are talking about all in 1 package. Natural ,dead loaner, not dysfunctional, and a top cooner.
Good luck reproducing that with consistency. Most people would just like to train 1

Old Post 10-14-2020 02:21 PM
nextcoonhunters
UKC Forum Member

Walker guy called still laughing

quote:
Originally posted by southernthunder
being independent is the same as being a leader. leaders have the brains to lead same as independent hounds have the ability to do their own thing. followers are the same as the me too dogs in my opinion. pack dogs rely on the leader to get the job done. I'm with you that independence is at the top of my list also. I want to hunt a leader not a follower.

I read that to a comp walker hunter and he said a guy that hunts comp with blueticks wrote that. I said yes. He laughed the rest of the time. I don't know what he could have found so funny?

Old Post 10-14-2020 03:40 PM