UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Tone Recall Training Tips
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Fisher13
UKC Forum Member

Tone Recall Training Tips

Wanted some opinions and tips on training recall. Due to my location, I have to deal with roads. So I need my hounds to be very well trained in recall.

Does teaching recall hurt there drive at all?

Does calling a dog off of track hurt there drive at all?

Both my dogs are pretty well introduced to the tone, and obeying it, but I find it difficult to drill them on this, but also teach them to go out and find the coon. So I have been laying off on the recall.

However, I know that there will come a day, when I'm going to have to call them off of track, and I need to know that they will honor my command.

Any thoughts on this matter will be greatly appreciated.

Also has anyone seen the vickie lamb dvd on this subject is it worth the $?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-08-2013 01:57 PM
Fisher13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Fisher13 Click here to Send Fisher13 a Private Message Find more posts by Fisher13 Add Fisher13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
walkerdog1
UKC Forum Member

My dogs are trained to come with the toner i train them to do it from a very young age it seems to become second nature to them most of my dogs hunt till they get struck and treed and the toner will bring them off track or tree a dog that handels means alot to me if you train them with the toner at a young age i don't thank it hurts their drive at all i haven't seen the video you speak of

Old Post 03-08-2013 02:21 PM
walkerdog1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for walkerdog1 Click here to Send walkerdog1 a Private Message Click Here to Email walkerdog1 Find more posts by walkerdog1 Add walkerdog1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
NCBLUE
UKC Forum Member

If a dog has enough drive recall should never hurt. you see a similar debate in the protection sports. the german shepherd sports do not require a recall off a bite while ring sports (malinois) do require a recall off a bite.

Old Post 03-08-2013 03:42 PM
NCBLUE is offline Click Here to See the Profile for NCBLUE Click here to Send NCBLUE a Private Message Click Here to Email NCBLUE Find more posts by NCBLUE Add NCBLUE to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
marpal
UKC Forum Member

I can tell you this, once you train a dog this way you'll never do it any other way. I train all my dogs this way. Does not hurt anything, hunting, or treeing. I've called dogs treed across a river, and then went on hunting to tree coons on the side I was on. Years ago, my hunt would have been over. Also if dogs start straight lining,I can beep them back in. I have found its best to train in the yard during the summer when I'm not hunting. It's less likely to confuse the dog, than trying to do it while hunting. It is so easy to do, I can't believe everybody doesn't do this.

Last edited by marpal on 03-10-2013 at 01:27 AM

Old Post 03-10-2013 01:19 AM
marpal is offline Click Here to See the Profile for marpal Click here to Send marpal a Private Message Click Here to Email marpal Find more posts by marpal Add marpal to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GLANCY'S 7 MILE
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by marpal
I can tell you this, once you train a dog this way you'll never do it any other way. I train all my dogs this way. Does not hurt anything, hunting, or treeing. I've called dogs treed across a river, and then went on hunting to tree coons on the side I was on. Years ago, my hunt would have been over. Also if dogs start straight lining,I can beep them back in. I have found its best to train in the yard during the summer when I'm not hunting. It's less likely to confuse the dog, than trying to do it while hunting. It is so easy to do, I can't believe everybody doesn't do this.

I agree............All my hounds are tone broke. I break them when their young!!!

GRNITECH PKC CH 'PR' HARD KNOCKIN STYLISH MAC (RIP)
GRNITECH X2 PKC CH 'PR' GLANCY'S 7 MILE CLYDE
NITECH PKC CH 'PR' GLANCY'S 7 MILE MERCY

Old Post 03-10-2013 07:14 AM
GLANCY'S 7 MILE is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GLANCY'S 7 MILE Click here to Send GLANCY'S 7 MILE a Private Message Click Here to Email GLANCY'S 7 MILE Visit GLANCY'S 7 MILE's homepage! Find more posts by GLANCY'S 7 MILE Add GLANCY'S 7 MILE to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fisher13
UKC Forum Member

How do you guys like to go about tone training them, it would makes sense to drill this outside of the hunting scenerio this way you can limit the confusing.

Old Post 03-10-2013 07:51 PM
Fisher13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Fisher13 Click here to Send Fisher13 a Private Message Find more posts by Fisher13 Add Fisher13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chip johnson
UKC Forum Member

in the yard with a 30 foot rope,hit the tone button pull the rope if he doesnt come. once he gets the idea of what you want then you use the shocker on a low number if he doesnt come

Old Post 03-10-2013 08:16 PM
chip johnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chip johnson Click here to Send chip johnson a Private Message Click Here to Email chip johnson Find more posts by chip johnson Add chip johnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
marpal
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by chip johnson
in the yard with a 30 foot rope,hit the tone button pull the rope if he doesnt come. once he gets the idea of what you want then you use the shocker on a low number if he doesnt come

Ditto. This also prepares them for trash breaking. When you zap them on a deer, instead of running wild ,out of the country, they come to you. In other words they have learned you are home plate, or safe zone.
Another thing is 5 lessons at 15 minutes, is better than 1 hour long session. Keep it short and sweet.

Last edited by marpal on 03-10-2013 at 09:17 PM

Old Post 03-10-2013 09:13 PM
marpal is offline Click Here to See the Profile for marpal Click here to Send marpal a Private Message Click Here to Email marpal Find more posts by marpal Add marpal to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
walkerdog1
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by chip johnson
X2

Old Post 03-10-2013 10:31 PM
walkerdog1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for walkerdog1 Click here to Send walkerdog1 a Private Message Click Here to Email walkerdog1 Find more posts by walkerdog1 Add walkerdog1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fisher13
UKC Forum Member

Ok that is what I was thinking, and have done. I do have one pup, that appears to be a fear bolter, the other day a jogger snuck up behind us, and she bolted. She listens very well, unless something randomly spooks her. In this case the jogger did not stop, so neither did she. She eventually veered off the trail, and the dbag kept on running.
Outside of some incidents like this she always responds very well to my commands. I guess I need to take her to a park full of joggers, and work her thru it? But what happens when the next random thing makes her bolt, I will lose control again?

Old Post 03-11-2013 12:56 PM
jculler8
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by marpal

I 100% agree. I laugh on the weeknight hunts when the cast is over and guys are out chasing their hounds all over the country. It's much more relieving and less stressful to have a dog that you KNOW will come when called.

My dogs are trained to come when called before their feet ever touch he timber! It pays dividends in the end. I do not use a shocker. Haven't even had it on a dog here in a few years.

HOME OF

PKC CH GRNITECH GRCH 'PR' OAKS POINT COON BUSTIN' BELLE HTX 2013 UKC Top 100 (May 2006-January 2017)

'PR' OAKS POINT STRIKE-EM OUT BEAU (May 2006-June 2016)

PKC CH NITECH GRCH 'PR' COON BUSTIN' WHITE STUFF

CH 'PR' GOLD RUSH EXPO

'PR' BLACK KNIGHT'S BALU JETTA (May 2013-October 2015)

CH 'PR' CHERRY CREEK XBOX 2016 Treeing Walker Days King of Show

Old Post 04-04-2013 12:30 AM
jculler8 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jculler8 Click here to Send jculler8 a Private Message Click Here to Email jculler8 Visit jculler8's homepage! Find more posts by jculler8 Add jculler8 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
john Duemmer
UKC Forum Member

I have reservations about tone breaking one that will be put in the hunts because i suspect in the future these alphas are going to be allowed in peoples pockets. 3 or 4 dogs on the same tree, one guy pushes the button and your dog leaves and comes in.....
I can whistle loud enough for a dog to hear a couple miles out. OLD SCHOOL.

Old Post 04-04-2013 12:39 AM
john Duemmer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for john Duemmer Click here to Send john Duemmer a Private Message Click Here to Email john Duemmer Find more posts by john Duemmer Add john Duemmer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote