UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Curs and Feists > Differences???
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
dbbishop
UKC Forum Member

Differences???

What is the main differences In BMC and OMC dog I'm not looking for trash talk just serious answers.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-23-2013 06:47 PM
dbbishop is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbbishop Click here to Send dbbishop a Private Message Click Here to Email dbbishop Find more posts by dbbishop Add dbbishop to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TREE 'EM
UKC Forum Member

They have different origins and popularity levels.
OMC dogs were developed in the mountain regions of the south and were bred almost exclusivly for squirrel & coon.

BMC dogs had their origins primarily in the deep south and have a more diverse background in their devolpment. Some family lines were bred for squirrel & coon and some were bred for cows & hogs.
There is enough difference between the BMC tree dogs and stock dogs that they should be considered separate breeds.

The difference between Tree bred BMCs and OMCs is about equivalent of the difference between a Walker and English coonhound. Basically they do the same job and can compeet at the same level, just that one breed is vastly more popular than the other.

Art

Old Post 07-23-2013 07:36 PM
TREE 'EM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TREE 'EM Click here to Send TREE 'EM a Private Message Click Here to Email TREE 'EM Visit TREE 'EM's homepage! Find more posts by TREE 'EM Add TREE 'EM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbbishop
UKC Forum Member

Thanks for the reply. Are the BMC generally bigger than OMC dogs

Old Post 07-23-2013 07:47 PM
dbbishop is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbbishop Click here to Send dbbishop a Private Message Click Here to Email dbbishop Find more posts by dbbishop Add dbbishop to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mdmorrison
UKC Forum Member

In my experience and observation...

quote:
Originally posted by dbbishop
Thanks for the reply. Are the BMC generally bigger than OMC dogs

..........Yes, BMC's are generally larger dogs.

Mark.

Old Post 07-23-2013 07:51 PM
mdmorrison is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mdmorrison Click here to Send mdmorrison a Private Message Click Here to Email mdmorrison Visit mdmorrison's homepage! Find more posts by mdmorrison Add mdmorrison to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbbishop
UKC Forum Member

Thats what I thought

Old Post 07-23-2013 07:52 PM
TREE 'EM
UKC Forum Member

It depends on what line they come from but in general BMCs are going to be slightly larger, but not always.

Old Post 07-23-2013 07:53 PM
TREE 'EM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TREE 'EM Click here to Send TREE 'EM a Private Message Click Here to Email TREE 'EM Visit TREE 'EM's homepage! Find more posts by TREE 'EM Add TREE 'EM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbbishop
UKC Forum Member

I know this is a matter of opinion but what line seems to be the most popular and productive

Old Post 07-23-2013 07:58 PM
TREE 'EM
UKC Forum Member

Streak bred OMC

Old Post 07-23-2013 08:02 PM
dbbishop
UKC Forum Member

Sorry I meant in BMC

Old Post 07-23-2013 08:03 PM
TREE 'EM
UKC Forum Member

Ladner bred BMCs are the most popular overall for the breed.

Old Post 07-23-2013 08:18 PM
nccatfisher
UKC Forum Member

Re: In my experience and observation...

quote:
Originally posted by mdmorrison
..........Yes, BMC's are generally larger dogs.

Mark.

Large feist are generally larger than the strain of OMC you hunt! LOL Speak for yourself.

https://sites.google.com/site/riverroadkennel/

Old Post 07-23-2013 08:55 PM
nccatfisher is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nccatfisher Click here to Send nccatfisher a Private Message Click Here to Email nccatfisher Visit nccatfisher's homepage! Find more posts by nccatfisher Add nccatfisher to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mdmorrison
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: In my experience and observation...

quote:
Originally posted by nccatfisher
Large feist are generally larger than the strain of OMC you hunt! LOL Speak for yourself.

LIAR! Dorton, is that you?

Ha!

Mark.

Old Post 07-23-2013 09:29 PM
mdmorrison is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mdmorrison Click here to Send mdmorrison a Private Message Click Here to Email mdmorrison Visit mdmorrison's homepage! Find more posts by mdmorrison Add mdmorrison to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nccatfisher
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: In my experience and observation...

quote:

Ha!

Mark.

I like the medium sized OMC's around 60-65# LOL

https://sites.google.com/site/riverroadkennel/

Old Post 07-24-2013 12:29 AM
nccatfisher is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nccatfisher Click here to Send nccatfisher a Private Message Click Here to Email nccatfisher Visit nccatfisher's homepage! Find more posts by nccatfisher Add nccatfisher to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sy Sparks
UKC Forum Member

BMC vs OMC

I have a quick question, not seen to many BMC's around here but are they more open on track compared to the OMC who would be more silent.

Old Post 07-24-2013 12:58 AM
Sy Sparks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sy Sparks Click here to Send Sy Sparks a Private Message Find more posts by Sy Sparks Add Sy Sparks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sy Sparks
UKC Forum Member

That's what I have seen the differents is in the Stevens too, they are normally open on track right? Or was that just the dog I was huntin with?

Old Post 07-24-2013 12:59 AM
Sy Sparks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sy Sparks Click here to Send Sy Sparks a Private Message Find more posts by Sy Sparks Add Sy Sparks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TREE 'EM
UKC Forum Member

Most tree bred BMCs will be stone silent on the ground.

Old Post 07-24-2013 04:18 AM
Oakhill
UKC Forum Member

Re: BMC vs OMC

quote:
Originally posted by Sy Sparks
I have a quick question, not seen to many BMC's around here but are they more open on track compared to the OMC who would be mo
re silent.

I had a Ladner bred BMC a few yrs. back and he was silent on track and had a loud chop on the tree.

Old Post 07-24-2013 03:53 PM
Oakhill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Oakhill Click here to Send Oakhill a Private Message Click Here to Email Oakhill Find more posts by Oakhill Add Oakhill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TURBO DOG
UKC Forum Member

Ringo

This is the Ladner dog I got form LH directly out of his ole Trap dog. This was in the late 80's!!

Trap was a heck of a coon dog and sq dog as was Ringo. They were wide open of coon tracks and silent on squirrels as were most of LH's dogs back when I hunted with him and Curtis. Curtis's Rambo dog was also open on coon.

Ringo was one of the most accurate dogs I have owned or hunted with sq or coon!

http://treeprokennels.webs.com/

"TREE DOGS ARE BORN NOT MADE"

Last edited by TURBO DOG on 07-24-2013 at 11:27 PM

Old Post 07-24-2013 05:54 PM
TURBO DOG is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TURBO DOG Click here to Send TURBO DOG a Private Message Click Here to Email TURBO DOG Visit TURBO DOG's homepage! Find more posts by TURBO DOG Add TURBO DOG to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oldman
UKC Forum Member

quote:

Ha!

Mark.

mark like the ones he can reg. o m c b a & in fiest reg. as well
still haven't figured that one out.

Pound Va

Ph: 276-796-5321

i'm drinking from my saucer
cause my cup has overflowed

Old Post 07-24-2013 09:09 PM
oldman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oldman Click here to Send oldman a Private Message Click Here to Email oldman Find more posts by oldman Add oldman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oldman
UKC Forum Member

what about the black & or brindle bmc.I know yellow has always
been the favorite color.

Pound Va

Ph: 276-796-5321

i'm drinking from my saucer
cause my cup has overflowed

Old Post 07-24-2013 09:11 PM
oldman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oldman Click here to Send oldman a Private Message Click Here to Email oldman Find more posts by oldman Add oldman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TREE 'EM
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by oldman
what about the black & or brindle bmc.I know yellow has always
been the favorite color.

Some people are stuck on color and from a marketing stand point yeller sells.

Then there's the other camp that believes pretty is as pretty does and color is the last thing on our minds when it comes to breeding tree dogs.

Old Post 07-24-2013 11:27 PM
Jeremy Gunter
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by TREE 'EM
Some people are stuck on color and from a marketing stand point yeller sells.

Then there's the other camp that believes pretty is as pretty does and color is the last thing on our minds when it comes to breeding tree dogs.

Pretty is as pretty does!

My TBMC, Lulu, is the smallest Cur (of any line/breed) I've ever hunted with...right around 17" and may go 30lbs soaking wet at hunting weight. Has a faint white blaze on her muzzle with a solid white spot on her neck, white on feet and chest. Her mother come from TREE'EM...she does not look like the average BMC...but, she is hands down the most NATURAL STAY PUT treedog I've ever started.

Again, pretty is as pretty does!

Last edited by Jeremy Gunter on 07-25-2013 at 06:24 PM

Old Post 07-25-2013 06:03 PM
Jeremy Gunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jeremy Gunter Click here to Send Jeremy Gunter a Private Message Find more posts by Jeremy Gunter Add Jeremy Gunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sdorton
UKC Forum Member

quote:

Ha!

Mark.

Why you got drag me into this? But Tim is right....Mark is the only person that has OMC's that are also ATFA reg. as well......LOL

http://hardcoreoriginalmtcurs.com/

Home of: Sq.Ch.Nt.Ch. Dorton's Oklahoma Mohawk (Riverroad Gun x Raccoon Reba)
Dorton's Jinx (Dorton's Oklahoma Mohawk x Sensley's Ola May)
Dorton's Hardcore Joe (Dorton's Oklahoma Mohawk x Dorton's Sissy)

Scottie Dorton
Wheatley KY.

Old Post 07-25-2013 07:07 PM
sdorton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sdorton Click here to Send sdorton a Private Message Find more posts by sdorton Add sdorton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mdmorrison
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: In my experience and observation...

quote:
Originally posted by oldman
mark like the ones he can reg. o m c b a & in fiest reg. as well
still haven't figured that one out.

You quit drinkin' whiskey out of your saucer and maybe you'll get it figured out one day........Ha!

Mark.

Old Post 07-25-2013 07:20 PM
UKC Forum Member

got to measure my year old OMC pup.....she just might make the ATFA standard.....

Old Post 07-25-2013 09:00 PM
TOP is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TOP Click here to Send TOP a Private Message Click Here to Email TOP Find more posts by TOP Add TOP to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote