UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > 5 cast wins vs. the old format let's vote
old format for night champ. or new
This poll is closed.
old 58 44.27%
new 73 55.73%
Total: 131 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
shawnstovall
UKC Forum Member

5 cast wins vs. the old format let's vote

the reason behind this question is me and a friend (and yes I have one friend) was talking the other night he has two first place finishes on his dog. in the old format all he had to was win another cast and bang his dog is a night champion and now he has to win three more casts to make it a night champion. Vote old or new

918-961-2434
Home to:
Pr S&J's Shack's Backwoods Patches (walker)
'PR' Stovall's Black Knight Wild Willy
Past Home to:
dual grand stovall's black knight george (gone but not forgotten)
pr D&S' black little luke (1st and 3rd place wins) (davis black luke x paynes black june) gone but not forgotten
Dual Grand Davis' black hutch (gone but not forgotten)

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 09-11-2019 03:25 PM
shawnstovall is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shawnstovall Click here to Send shawnstovall a Private Message Click Here to Email shawnstovall Find more posts by shawnstovall Add shawnstovall to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TylerOSU
UKC Forum Member

Shawn we all know you don’t have any friends... let’s not get to lying on this board! It’s 100% honest 100% of the time!

Team Mafia
2022 UKC World Champion
2019-2022 UKC World Qualifier
2019 Ok Prohunt Semi-finalist
2019 Spring SS Top 20
20,21, and 23 OK State PKC Champion
2020 Spring SS Top 7
2019-2023 PKC National Qualifier
2020-2023 TOC Qualifier
2020 UKC Top 100
2022 UKC Top 100
2023 JOY Super Hunt Champion
2022 UKC WORLDCH PKC PCH CH GRNTCH3 "Get Gone Jenna"
DOB- 9/30/2017

Old Post 09-11-2019 03:58 PM
TylerOSU is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TylerOSU Click here to Send TylerOSU a Private Message Click Here to Email TylerOSU Find more posts by TylerOSU Add TylerOSU to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by TylerOSU
Shawn we all know you don’t have any friends... let’s not get to lying on this board! It’s 100% honest 100% of the time!

I liked the old format but just because that’s what I came up with. Winning that 1rst place against 60 dogs or up to 300+ dogs was somthing to be proud of. Not bashing the new format I think it fits well with the qualifying to go to the big purse hunt.

Tar

Old Post 09-11-2019 04:06 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ed esposti
UKC Forum Member

I had no problem with the old format but feel the new is better. Both have Pros and Cons but at the end of the night you can only beat the dogs you draw out with so the new system takes the luck of drawing the best guide out of the equation.

FCH GRNITECH CH 'PR' Timberjack Hardtime Bell (PKC CH)
NITECH 'PR' Timberjack Hardtime Duke (PKC CH)
'PR' Timberjack Hardtime No Mercy

Old Post 09-11-2019 05:12 PM
ed esposti is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ed esposti Click here to Send ed esposti a Private Message Click Here to Email ed esposti Find more posts by ed esposti Add ed esposti to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
STROKIN
UKC Forum Member

I like the new format because back in the day you needed a first place. It was much harder with local clubs drawing 60 plus dogs in the registered casts. I hunted a dog and he had a 80% win record and never got the first place win. He would have been at least a grntch x 2.
This format should draw some of the grnt back out and should help the local clubs. But the $5 extra per dog may hurt a little. We just started a club and kept the entry at $15. Looks like we will have to bump it up $5

Old Post 09-11-2019 05:21 PM
STROKIN is offline Click Here to See the Profile for STROKIN Click here to Send STROKIN a Private Message Click Here to Email STROKIN Find more posts by STROKIN Add STROKIN to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
warn
UKC Forum Member

Old format worked for years and i?liked it!! But Allen didnt ask for my vote lol

Mark Warner

"HOME OF PREDAWN KENNELS"

http://www.tekonshathunder.homestead.com

Old Post 09-11-2019 07:23 PM
warn is offline Click Here to See the Profile for warn Click here to Send warn a Private Message Click Here to Email warn Find more posts by warn Add warn to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

ed esposti

I agree with you regarding the old way of placing dogs by score, IT WAS WRONG, all any dog could ever do then or now is WIN their cast. How could comparing cast scores ever be an equitable way to place dogs? Just because a dog scored big in one cast and another dog had a lower score in a different cast did not prove which dog was better. Until all hunts are elimination style cast winner advances ALL we have is treat ALL cast winners as such CAST WINNER no Champion only cast winners. Anyone that ever thought they actually won a hunt based on high score in one cast, only hunting against the dogs in that cast, were misled. I NEVER thought that I won the hunts where I had first place based on high score I only knew that my dog had the highest score and only beat the dogs in their cast. Dave

Old Post 09-11-2019 07:33 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
harleydan1956
UKC Forum Member

I am OK with the new format. Nothing worse than winning 6 of 9 nite Ch casts but get beat by someone hunting buckets or super thick coon. Yes, it happens. Now you just have to beat the dogs you draw on an even playing field.

Canton, ohio
330-904-3392

Home of:
Gr Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Moonlight Serenade... Gr. Ch. Nite Ch PR Hillbillys Smokey River Dutch HTX X Gr. Ch. Nite CH. PR Lethal Blue Izabell Sitara
Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Lil Bit of Respect.... Ch. Nite Ch PR Shivers' Magic Lead X GR. Ch. Nite Ch PR Lethal Blue Betty Jane
PR. Lethal Blue Tayen Grace..... Nite Ch. Pr Coffins creek running J.R. X Gr Ch Nite Ch PR Lethal Blue Moonlite Serenade.

Gone but never forgotten
Gr. Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Izabell Sitara... Dual Gr. Ch PR Bowens Blue Deuce X Ch. Nite Ch. PR Becky.

Gr Ch Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Betty Jane...... PR. Crites Soggy Bottom Blue Banjo X PR. Mosquito Creek Tree mamma Sis

Gr Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Rattlin Samantha ... Dual Gr Ch PR Mid Ohio Rattlin Sam X Gr Ch PR. Lethal Blue Jet's Xena

Gr. Ch. Nite Ch Hillbilly's Smokey River Blue Dutch HTX..... Gr. Ch. Gr. Nite Ch Pr. Smokey River Tramp's Blue Lake and Pr. Misty River Blue Doll III.
(Dutch wasn't ours, but he was here and like one of the family)

Pr. Dan's little Porter.... my last beagle...

Old Post 09-11-2019 07:38 PM
harleydan1956 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for harleydan1956 Click here to Send harleydan1956 a Private Message Click Here to Email harleydan1956 Find more posts by harleydan1956 Add harleydan1956 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sgraves
UKC Forum Member

New . Never seen a nite or grnite bucket dog worth a 1st place win.

Old Post 09-11-2019 07:57 PM
Sgraves is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sgraves Click here to Send Sgraves a Private Message Click Here to Email Sgraves Find more posts by Sgraves Add Sgraves to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Re: ed esposti

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
I agree with you regarding the old way of placing dogs by score, IT WAS WRONG, all any dog could ever do then or now is WIN their cast. How could comparing cast scores ever be an equitable way to place dogs? Just because a dog scored big in one cast and another dog had a lower score in a different cast did not prove which dog was better. Until all hunts are elimination style cast winner advances ALL we have is treat ALL cast winners as such CAST WINNER no Champion only cast winners. Anyone that ever thought they actually won a hunt based on high score in one cast, only hunting against the dogs in that cast, were misled. I NEVER thought that I won the hunts where I had first place based on high score I only knew that my dog had the highest score and only beat the dogs in their cast. Dave

No difference in then or now. Back in the day 1rst got a big trophy and a dog box and a light. 10th got a dog bowl and a ribbon that’s why I wanted to win 1rst place.

Just sayen

Tar

Old Post 09-11-2019 08:07 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
LoggyBayouBlues
UKC Forum Member

5 cast wins vs. the old format let's vote

Read between the line's, you have to make more hunt's to fund their new $200,000 dollar Hunt. JMO

Old Post 09-11-2019 11:59 PM
LoggyBayouBlues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for LoggyBayouBlues Click here to Send LoggyBayouBlues a Private Message Click Here to Email LoggyBayouBlues Find more posts by LoggyBayouBlues Add LoggyBayouBlues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tar

Lol. That was true, it just was a poor way of placing dogs. If the hunts had started out as cast winners advance and elimination style to determine the true winner, everyone would have played on a level playing field. Since we did not hunt that way, score was just a poor way of determining hunt placement. I do not know why every hunt was not elimination style, as that way you know who won the hunt. Casts could hunt one hour and winners be recast another hour until we had a final cast of winners to hunt for the win. Winning a big hunt on a one cast score makes no sense at all. Imo. Dave

Old Post 09-12-2019 01:09 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I just wanted the prizes !! It wasent as bad as today but the winner was usually forgotten rather quickly. But on the flip side there was usually a rich guy there that wanted your dog and I ain’t never had one I wouldn’t put a price on.

Tar

Old Post 09-12-2019 01:17 AM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Then or now

Back in the day of 10 to 20 casts of dogs hunting in s competition hunt, one needed a first based on score alone, it was hard to get a big score if you were not fortunate enough to get one of the honeyhole draws. You could win your cast every hunt and not get a first place. Was this the way to determine the best dog? Now you win your cast you have something to show for it, you don't have to rely on getting a honeyhole draw. Over time this should increase hunt numbers, if we did not wait to long to change. I truly believe a dig that wins 5 casts with plus points is more deserving of being a night champion than a dog that won a first place with a bigger score hunting in a honeyhole. In recent years a dog could and often did make night champion by hunting and winning 3 casts. I favor today's rules, they level the playing field. I have a dog with a first place win under the old system and now I need 4 more cast wins yet I favor the new system, it's just more fair to everyone. Dave

Old Post 09-12-2019 01:25 AM
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Re: 5 cast wins vs. the old format let's vote

quote:
Originally posted by shawnstovall
the reason behind this question is me and a friend (and yes I have one friend) was talking the other night he has two first place finishes on his dog. in the old format all he had to was win another cast and bang his dog is a night champion and now he has to win three more casts to make it a night champion. Vote old or new
I'm like your friend. I have one with 2 first. A few years ago I had one with 9 cast wins and no first. People talk about changing rules to fit the dog. I think UKC is changing the rules to prevent me from having a Nite Champion.

Old Post 09-12-2019 02:21 AM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nathan Phenix
UKC Forum Member

New

I agree you can only control out come of cast your own. And 3 cast wins seems a little easy. But if the truth is to be told if you win 5 cast at local hunts with attendance the way it has been you would or should have gotten the so called 1rst most of time. Not many people can say they won 5 OPEN cast and never got a first place win. Where this change really made difference is in Night Champion side of things.

Bayou Creek Black and Tan’s

Nathan Phenix
417-255-5697

Old Post 09-12-2019 04:27 PM
Nathan Phenix is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nathan Phenix Click here to Send Nathan Phenix a Private Message Find more posts by Nathan Phenix Add Nathan Phenix to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Nathan

You are spot on, but the good thing is these rules will be in place if our hunts start drawing bigger numbers and will be fair to all casts. Dave

Old Post 09-14-2019 01:05 AM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Nathan

Double post

Old Post 09-14-2019 01:05 AM