UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Tracking ability?
Pages (7): « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
I believe you till I go to the $$$ board and start reading the scores.

Tar

pm sent Tar

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-04-2020 06:24 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

quote:
I believe you till I go to the $$$ board and start reading the scores.

Tar

pm sent Tar

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 05-04-2020 06:24 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by novicane65
pm sent Tar

Responded.

Tar

Old Post 05-04-2020 07:12 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Corey Gruver
UKC Forum Member

This might be an unpopular opinion, but I've always thought of "great track dogs" as having "less intelligence" than other hounds. I'll qualify that by saying that they are much better at "reacting" than thinking about what's going on at the end of their nose.

Old Post 05-04-2020 07:22 PM
Corey Gruver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Corey Gruver Click here to Send Corey Gruver a Private Message Find more posts by Corey Gruver Add Corey Gruver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Corey Gruver
This might be an unpopular opinion, but I've always thought of "great track dogs" as having "less intelligence" than other hounds. I'll qualify that by saying that they are much better at "reacting" than thinking about what's going on at the end of their nose.

I always thought the opposite...smart dogs make bad tracks look easy...

By far the best dog I ever had knew where to look for a track and how to find the hot end quickly and go with it...he would be bayed before the other dogs lined out a feeder track...

Old Post 05-04-2020 07:40 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Corey this might be unpopular to but we had no way to control a pain in the butt dog back in the day how would you like to to try and get a big hide check with a run all night dog that wouldn’t tree dog like they think we had? We seen coons in their trees or they went elsewhere there was no $$$ hunts so there was no use for those kind of dogs. Then when the $$$ did come along it was quite a few years before we got the wood monsters we got today.

We very seldom went to a tree that wasent a den or a coon seen anything else had no purpose.

Tar

Old Post 05-04-2020 07:43 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oldsouth123
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Corey this might be unpopular to but we had no way to control a pain in the butt dog back in the day how would you like to to try and get a big hide check with a run all night dog that wouldn’t tree dog like they think we had? We seen coons in their trees or they went elsewhere there was no $$$ hunts so there was no use for those kind of dogs. Then when the $$$ did come along it was quite a few years before we got the wood monsters we got today.

We very seldom went to a tree that wasent a den or a coon seen anything else had no purpose. The big difference,a lot of new or younger hunters don't understand is that even the sorry dogs had something in the tree when they treed.When you went to a tree,you expected to see the game.I've went along on several cast in the last few years and they don't even expect to see anything ,they're looking for a hole a big fork or where he crossed out, anything but a minus.They will be looking two or three trees over.If they treed on a empty light pole, how many poles would you check before you minus them,remember light poles have lines that make them touch for miles.If the dogs tree and it touches another tree and you don't see a coon in that tree either ,it's still minus.

Tar

Last edited by oldsouth123 on 05-05-2020 at 05:08 AM

Old Post 05-05-2020 05:05 AM
oldsouth123 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oldsouth123 Click here to Send oldsouth123 a Private Message Find more posts by oldsouth123 Add oldsouth123 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Accuracy

I hate it when folks think ACCURACY just isn't in today's dogs. I can not speak for every one, but I can not stand a slick treeing dog, that's just something that I WILL NOT put up with period. Saying that, I do not have that problem with dogs that I hunt, especially in these mountains. Some folks just accept dogs that miss regularly and actually believe that ALL dogs miss a lot, that's just not true. I realize that a lot of dogs tree slick, but definitely not ALL dogs. If you settle for a slick treeing dog, the PROBLEM is YOU. I fully expect to see a coon or legitimate den tree every time and WILL not keep a dog that can not meet those demands. I hunt in the winter months and keep score with a 22 rifle, the coon better be there. I am not a hide hunter, but hunt with a hide hunters mentality, I WANT to see the meat, I can look at empty trees without going hunting, as I have several in my yard. Dave

Old Post 05-05-2020 07:51 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

Re: Accuracy

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
I hate it when folks think ACCURACY just isn't in today's dogs. I can not speak for every one, but I can not stand a slick treeing dog, that's just something that I WILL NOT put up with period. Saying that, I do not have that problem with dogs that I hunt, especially in these mountains. Some folks just accept dogs that miss regularly and actually believe that ALL dogs miss a lot, that's just not true. I realize that a lot of dogs tree slick, but definitely not ALL dogs. If you settle for a slick treeing dog, the PROBLEM is YOU. I fully expect to see a coon or legitimate den tree every time and WILL not keep a dog that can not meet those demands. I hunt in the winter months and keep score with a 22 rifle, the coon better be there. I am not a hide hunter, but hunt with a hide hunters mentality, I WANT to see the meat, I can look at empty trees without going hunting, as I have several in my yard. Dave
exactly right!! And no room for error or discussion!

Old Post 05-05-2020 12:39 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Y’all are right each person is responsible for what is on the end of the leash. All kc’s rules have loopholes top winning handlers ( major players ) hand pick dogs to fit those loopholes plus tree coons to a tee. I told you how it was back in the day I think the new ukc rules are goof proof as you can get and I think we will see the cream rise to the top in the coon treeing contest of old.

Tar

Old Post 05-05-2020 12:57 PM
stonehill
UKC Forum Member

quote:
I would rather hear a dog start a bad track and get it jumped and push it to the tree than tree three pop ups but that’s just me.

Tar

I !00% agree with you !!!!

A houndsmans drive is not the thrill of the kill it's the sound of the hound !!!

Old Post 05-06-2020 06:41 AM
stonehill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for stonehill Click here to Send stonehill a Private Message Click Here to Email stonehill Find more posts by stonehill Add stonehill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Re: Superior tracking ability

quote:
Originally posted by Kler Kry
I believe that it takes a combination of things and some of them are:
* the DESIRE to catch the game, once a hound is whipped by the game they may chase it, but have lost the desire to abuse their bodies and catch the game at all cost.
A hound with intense desire requires a lesser amount of scent to motivate them.
*Heredity, Genetics, Without high physical and mental ability you just have a nice dog.

And most important is a owner/handler who doesn't think that they can motivate to train superior tracking ability. Mr. Derden once explained breeding by saying "You can't get pecans from a peanut plant"
As ever, Ken Risley

I agree with these comments...

When choosing pups I am looking for natural instincts or as others would say natural ability...

Example...

Bay style;

Taking all factors into consideration, the first time the puppy bays a shoat and gives chase is a big positive in my minds eye...if the shoat is backed into a corner and the pup is baying fairly tight with tail swishing and he’s hackled up is a big positive as well...I am reading the pups mind and I like what I am reading...and if he gets down on his front end when baying I know what the pup is wanting to do and I know how he will be when grown...all the above, a big A-Plus to the pup in this area of testing...

The next pup needs a few months of exposure before he bays and more time to give chase and he stands back back to bay and seems to be over cautious...I won’t be very happy with the results...the two things that are always in my mind when dealing with pups...I want natural abilities because this type of pup is born with it and he will make the best dog more often than not...and the second reasoning...because I don’t have much kennel space I want to keep dogs that are well rounded in all areas possible...besides making better hunting dogs I want a dog that has better potential as a breeding prospect...I want the dog that has a better chance of reproducing what I like...

Same thing with tracking ability...I test all my pups for winding and finding tiny pieces of meat in my back yard...some will say, that’s not testing for tracking ability...l will say this...when the dog is grown and he is hunting and when he gets in the woods and there is a slight breeze and he winds scent coming off of an older track...and he immediately goes 200 yards to it and works it out he will be a pretty good dog...and he runs the track with his head up and it is a feeder track...and find testing as a pup pays off here as well...because he makes it look easy finding The hot end of a feeder track...at least that is my perception of why to test pups...

Old Post 05-06-2020 03:42 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Re: Superior tracking ability

quote:
Originally posted by Kler Kry
I believe that it takes a combination of things and some of them are:
* the DESIRE to catch the game, once a hound is whipped by the game they may chase it, but have lost the desire to abuse their bodies and catch the game at all cost.
A hound with intense desire requires a lesser amount of scent to motivate them.
*Heredity, Genetics, Without high physical and mental ability you just have a nice dog.

And most important is a owner/handler who doesn't think that they can motivate to train superior tracking ability. Mr. Derden once explained breeding by saying "You can't get pecans from a peanut plant"
As ever, Ken Risley

I agree with these comments...

When choosing pups I am looking for natural instincts or as others would say natural ability...

Example...

Bay style;

Taking all factors into consideration, the first time the puppy bays a shoat and gives chase is a big positive in my minds eye...if the shoat is backed into a corner and the pup is baying fairly tight with tail swishing and he’s hackled up is a big positive as well...I am reading the pups mind and I like what I am reading...and if he gets down on his front end when baying I know what the pup is wanting to do and I know how he will be when grown...all the above, a big A-Plus to the pup in this area of testing...

The next pup needs a few months of exposure before he bays and more time to give chase and he stands back back to bay and seems to be over cautious...I won’t be very happy with the results...the two things that are always in my mind when dealing with pups...I want natural abilities because this type of pup is born with it and he will make the best dog more often than not...and the second reasoning...because I don’t have much kennel space I want to keep dogs that are well rounded in all areas possible...besides making better hunting dogs I want a dog that has better potential as a breeding prospect...I want the dog that has a better chance of reproducing what I like...

Same thing with tracking ability...I test all my pups for winding and finding tiny pieces of meat in my back yard...some will say, that’s not testing for tracking ability...l will say this...when the dog is grown and he is hunting and when he gets in the woods and there is a slight breeze and he winds scent coming off of an older track...and he immediately goes 200 yards to it and works it out he will be a pretty good dog...and he runs the track with his head up and it is a feeder track...and find testing as a pup pays off here as well...because he makes it look easy finding The hot end of a feeder track...at least that is my perception of why to test pups...

Old Post 05-06-2020 03:42 PM
Cotton 1927
UKC Forum Member

Dogs

Reuben, interesting post thanks can I ask what type of dogs you hunt with? I've never been hog hunting with dogs, thanks in advance,

Old Post 05-06-2020 03:57 PM
Cotton 1927 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cotton 1927 Click here to Send Cotton 1927 a Private Message Click Here to Email Cotton 1927 Find more posts by Cotton 1927 Add Cotton 1927 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

I hunt mountain cur x PLOTT hound...

I used to hunt Mt cur and I got out for a few years...been looking for the same or better ever since...

Old Post 05-06-2020 05:27 PM
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Tracking Ability

I think winding plays a big part in finding and running a track...also having a good nose is just as important...

A dog that has the genetic makeup to want to wind is a better dog than one that is inclined to take a track that he has to be on top of it before his brain clicks...

Nose power...I have seen a hog cross an open meadow and 5 minutes later I sees dog come along on the track and he has his nose down on the track and he is running at less than half speed and following the track scent like a Springer spaniel on pheasant...

In the same type scenario I have seen dogs come into the meadow running almost wide with their heads held high...sometimes we see these dogs running to one side off of the track using the wind currents in tracking their game...

There are dogs that when coming into a feeder track spending some time working it out and then you have a dog that swings out making a wide loop and finding the hot end of the tracks pretty quick...

Old Post 05-06-2020 06:01 PM
Cotton 1927
UKC Forum Member

Dogs

Reuben, you mentioned a pup getting down on his front end and you said you knew what he was trying to do.....can you explain that please ....thanks

Old Post 05-06-2020 11:28 PM
Cotton 1927 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cotton 1927 Click here to Send Cotton 1927 a Private Message Click Here to Email Cotton 1927 Find more posts by Cotton 1927 Add Cotton 1927 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Re: Dogs

quote:
Originally posted by Cotton 1927
Reuben, you mentioned a pup getting down on his front end and you said you knew what he was trying to do.....can you explain that please ....thanks

First I need to say that not all dogs or bloodlines act the same...

The pups I am talking about I have raised myself...those that get in their face and bay with that defiance attitude in voice and stance usually grow up to be very catchy type dogs...most of the time they will need a vest when hunting to prevent or minimize injury when baying or catching a big boar hog...

Old Post 05-07-2020 10:02 PM
Ron Moore
UKC Forum Member

Re: Tracking ability?

quote:
What makes dogs have superior tracking ability over others.

Are they more intelligent ?

Tar

Attempting to answer the original question. I remember way back in the day, the old fox hunters of WV talked about a good cut dog. This was a dog that would get behind the chase, for what ever reason, and shut up and get ahead of the lead dog before it opened up again. Now, in my opinion, these types of dogs possess more intelegants, than tracking ability. I believe tracking ability is like treeing and accuracy. It's there when they're born but just needs exposed to get it refined. As mentioned before, some dogs have more intense desire to get from point A to point B. As my old friend used to say, "that dog is more excitable." When choosing a pup with these desired traits, I would look for the parents and grand parents to possess the same traits. In other words, if I was looking for a winning race horse, a colt out of a horse like Secretariat would be a good starting place, lol. As we all know, there's no guarantees but there's such a thing as upping the odds.

Old Post 05-08-2020 12:42 PM
Ron Moore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Moore Click here to Send Ron Moore a Private Message Click Here to Email Ron Moore Find more posts by Ron Moore Add Ron Moore to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Tracking ability?

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Moore
Attempting to answer the original question. I remember way back in the day, the old fox hunters of WV talked about a good cut dog. This was a dog that would get behind the chase, for what ever reason, and shut up and get ahead of the lead dog before it opened up again. Now, in my opinion, these types of dogs possess more intelegants, than tracking ability.

When choosing a pup with these desired traits, I would look for the parents and grand parents to possess the same traits. In other words, if I was looking for a winning race horse, a colt out of a horse like Secretariat would be a good starting place, lol. As we all know, there's no guarantees but there's such a thing as upping the odds.

there's such a thing as upping the odds.

Ron... i agree...I too believe the reasons we have so much inconsistencies is due to us not looking at the parents and grandparents critically enough and making sure they possess the same traits that we are hoping to get with the puppies produced...

If breeding for certain hunting traits were visual like the red color on a Redbone hound then it would be easy...but all it takes to mess up a breeding program when breeding Red Redbones would be to breed to a black hound and now we would have black pups pop up for several generations and it would be possible to have all black pups on the first cross...so if making this cross to the black hound one time...and it creates all this change for generations...we can see the the drastic change just by making one cross...good and bad but I believe the potential for more negatives than positives can result...

Knowing this potential we should strive for breeding the well rounded hunting dog by staying away from the negatives...

I read an article years back and the writer talked about traits...he said if we had a brown bag and it had 6 different colored marbles...50 of each color and the red, white and blue marbles represented positive trait genes...and green, pink and purple were negative traits and we shook the bag repeatedly and pulled two marbles out at a time they would match up rather evenly in a mixture of good and bad traits...but with time we removed the green, pink and purple marbles and replace them with the red white and blue...on the next shake you will have a higher percentage of the right colors pairing up (genes)...

So that is why we need to look beyond the puppy and look at parents, grandparents and great grandparents...and it’s not that easy on account there are many other variables...

Old Post 05-08-2020 02:43 PM
Kler Kry
UKC Forum Member

Too Bad You Aren't A Walker Dog Breeder!

You've forgot more than some will ever know. Too bad that you aren't a walker dog breeder!

Old Post 05-08-2020 03:29 PM
Kler Kry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kler Kry Click here to Send Kler Kry a Private Message Click Here to Email Kler Kry Find more posts by Kler Kry Add Kler Kry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sgraves
UKC Forum Member

A few years back I use to have rabbit dogs. Had a pretty good tight pack of hounds. Use to field trial a little too. A guy I hunted with had a male dog he called joe. At the time I thought joe was a piece of junk, because of what the field trials had me believing. Well my buddy an joe was a force to reckon with when it came to actual rabbit hunting. Ole joe was a cutting fool an his owner knew it an would kill every rabbit joe would pick back up. Ended up liking the ole dog when I figured him out. I to believe it is natural talent an drive ole joe had. We try to make dogs fit our man made rules an in the end we loose the natural ability a hound is suppose to have.

Old Post 05-08-2020 03:30 PM
Sgraves is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sgraves Click here to Send Sgraves a Private Message Click Here to Email Sgraves Find more posts by Sgraves Add Sgraves to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
scott spivey
UKC Forum Member

You have hunters and breeders . A lot of hunters, fewer hard hunters and a lot of breeders but even fewer true breeders. I think we all fall into one of these categories. The hard hunter and true breeder combination are as rare as that special hound that all of us are seeking. It’s even more rare to find that hard hunter true breeder combination that has started and continued their own line of hounds through decades of their own line breeding program. It takes a lot of time, dedication and commitment .I put myself in the hunter category. I’m actually in the middle of an experiment that I’ve been conducting for the last 2 yrs. with a couple of these type guys. It doesn’t take long when you have a conversation with them to understand the knowledge and the level of commitment they have to preserve the traits they’ve bred for throughout the years. They have the innate ability to describe hounds they’ve owned for generation after generation.
I grew up hunting with balanced, accurate coonhounds and am trying to get back to that style of hound. I personally believe that a balanced, accurate Coondog as Joe House used to say will “Stand the Test of Time” and contrary to what some on here believe can compete in any KC with whatever rules, time limit etc. regardless of year, decade or even century you put em in. I find it interesting in the past that all you needed to describe a Coondog was one word “Coondog “. I now find myself using balanced, and accurate to describe the same thing. The biggest difference that I see in the Coondogs of now and of yesteryear. It takes more words to accurately describe one these days.

Old Post 05-08-2020 05:20 PM
scott spivey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for scott spivey Click here to Send scott spivey a Private Message Click Here to Email scott spivey Find more posts by scott spivey Add scott spivey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Thanks kler...your giving me too much credit...

Scott...I totally agree with you...
A coon dog is a coon dog now or back then...there shouldn’t be any difference in ability and they won’t look bad in any company...

Sgraves spoke of his beagles and a friends beagle named Joe...

The sentence below I quoted Sgraves and I agree with what he said...

We try to make dogs fit our man made rules an in the end we loose the natural ability a hound is suppose to have.

Old Post 05-08-2020 05:42 PM
Cotton 1927
UKC Forum Member

Dogs

Good reading this morning ,I was painting the foyer ceiling this morning and took a break, and started reading made me feel like I was sitting around the fire talking to some dog men....thanks and stay safe!

Old Post 05-08-2020 06:59 PM