UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > White river refuge
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Ci1982
UKC Forum Member

White river refuge

Is it worth going to the refuge to hunt inJanuary?how is the hunting that time of year down there ? I am thinking of making the trip but it would be Jan before i could make it.
Thanks for the input
Chris

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-14-2018 06:31 AM
Ci1982 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ci1982 Click here to Send Ci1982 a Private Message Find more posts by Ci1982 Add Ci1982 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

It all depends on what the hunting is like at your house. If you live in East Tn then it is worth it. If you live in Il, In, Oh, or Mi then probably not unless you are snowed in.

Old Post 07-14-2018 02:50 PM
Richard Lambert is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tkw plotts
UKC Forum Member

How is it hunting in Arkansas around October off the white river were planning a trip we live in up state South Carolina,,and have been planning a trip out there but we worried about the water moccasins being out around the time we planning to go we don't want any dogs getting bit but is there alot of coons there?

Old Post 07-19-2018 09:50 PM
Tkw plotts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tkw plotts Click here to Send Tkw plotts a Private Message Click Here to Email Tkw plotts Find more posts by Tkw plotts Add Tkw plotts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Tkw plotts
How is it hunting in Arkansas around October off the white river were planning a trip we live in up state South Carolina,,and have been planning a trip out there but we worried about the water moccasins being out around the time we planning to go we don't want any dogs getting bit but is there alot of coons there?

The actual white river refuge is not open to coon hunting in October.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 07-20-2018 12:40 AM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tkw plotts
UKC Forum Member

When is it open do you know cause I called a guy down there an he never said anything about that I thought there coon season opened in september

Old Post 07-20-2018 01:54 AM
Tkw plotts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tkw plotts Click here to Send Tkw plotts a Private Message Click Here to Email Tkw plotts Find more posts by Tkw plotts Add Tkw plotts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tkw plotts
UKC Forum Member

But we're looking at wma it's called trusten holden right off of white river primitive camping

Old Post 07-20-2018 01:56 AM
joey
UKC Forum Member

quote:
But we're looking at wma it's called trusten holden right off of white river primitive camping

Yes sir, Trusten holder is across the canal and is a state WMA, it is open from July 1st to march 31. If you do not mind paying $18 a night I would stay at lake marrisach. It is right across the bridge from it and is a really nice park with good clean showers. Its where I stay when I'm down there. You can also look at three rivers lodge if you want a cabin. They select cut Trusten Holder but there is a lot of nice woods. No four wheelers and make sure you do not go during one of the permit deer hunts.

Home Of:

Old Post 07-20-2018 06:00 AM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tkw plotts
UKC Forum Member

I looked at the deer season an stuff I'm pretty sure it will be archery season have you ever hunted there I October? Lot of coons?

Old Post 07-20-2018 07:42 PM
Tkw plotts
UKC Forum Member

I can not find any where about the deer hunting permit so o have no clue were wanting to go toward the end of October

Old Post 07-20-2018 07:47 PM
joey
UKC Forum Member

Permit hunt is 20th to the 24th. This will tell you.

https://www.agfc.com/en/zone-map/774/

I have only been there in OCT. around 15 years ago and it was covered up with coon then. More so than what it is when White river is open. If you fish, there are some pretty good fishing holes around there. It will have a lot of bow hunters. Try and be respectful and not turn loose before black dark and they shouldn't give you any problem. Closest place your going to be able to get anything is Dewitt. This place is really out in the sticks. I put in for a muzzle loader permit for White river. It is the 20th to the 22nd. I'll be staying at Marresach Park.

Home Of:

Old Post 07-20-2018 08:01 PM
Tkw plotts
UKC Forum Member

Thank you very much so I can't go run dogs there during the muzzleloader permit hunts, right or wrong? But we planned on leaving the 24th which is on a wensday an hunting 25th 26th and 27th and come home the 28th.. That shouldnt get in the way of any gun hunters should it..

Old Post 07-21-2018 08:03 PM
joey
UKC Forum Member

You should be fine. Its not that you cant it just isn't a good idea. Also you said you were going to primitive camp on the refuge. There is only one spot on that refuge and it will be overflowing during the Muzzle load hunt.Like I said before, even if I was going to camp in a tent I would still pay the fee and do it at lake Merrisach, clean showers and bathrooms, within a couple of miles of the refuge.

https://www.recreation.gov/camping/...mp;parkId=71291

Home Of:

Old Post 07-21-2018 11:29 PM
Tkw plotts
UKC Forum Member

Thank you for the info an does that camp allow dogs ? We will have 4 to 5 dogs with us, and you said it's only $18 dollars a night

Old Post 07-22-2018 01:43 AM
joey
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Thank you for the info an does that camp allow dogs ? We will have 4 to 5 dogs with us, and you said it's only $18 dollars a night

Yes they allow dogs, I think its $18 I cant remember but I know its not much more. Do not leave your dogs tied close to the lake. Its full of alligators. There is a big bulkhead on most of the campsites and I have never seen one close to the camp but you can shine them everywhere after dark. I've never seen them anywhere except in the actual lake. I've camped there with dogs probably 15 to 20 times.

Home Of:

Old Post 07-22-2018 02:03 AM
Tkw plotts
UKC Forum Member

Thank you very much for the info...but gators ain't in the river bottoms an stuff where we will be hunting?

Old Post 07-24-2018 09:29 PM
joey
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Thank you very much for the info...but gators ain't in the river bottoms an stuff where we will be hunting?

I'm sure there are some in the lakes but I have never seen them or any sign of them.

Home Of:

Old Post 07-24-2018 09:40 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Oh my goodness, did someone say alligator?

Old Post 07-25-2018 01:06 AM
Richard Lambert is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blaine6905
New UKC Forum Member

To hunt White River be sure and take UTV or ATV, walk hunting is difficult because of the sloughs

Old Post 07-25-2018 01:48 AM
blaine6905 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blaine6905 Click here to Send blaine6905 a Private Message Click Here to Email blaine6905 Find more posts by blaine6905 Add blaine6905 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tkw plotts
UKC Forum Member

Why is it hard to walk hunt?? Even hunting trusten holden it's hard to walk hunt ??? That's all we do

Old Post 07-25-2018 02:04 AM
blaine6905
New UKC Forum Member

the sloughs can be hard to get across. there are 4 wheeler trails that cross the sloughs

Old Post 07-25-2018 02:35 AM
blaine6905 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blaine6905 Click here to Send blaine6905 a Private Message Click Here to Email blaine6905 Find more posts by blaine6905 Add blaine6905 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tkw plotts
UKC Forum Member

What are slough?

Old Post 07-25-2018 02:42 AM
blaine6905
New UKC Forum Member

its basically like a creek. In Jan the north unit is the only unit that is open. if water is up its tough to walk hunt. I went last January and coons were really running and we couldn't wade the water in very many places

Old Post 07-25-2018 02:52 AM
joey
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Why is it hard to walk hunt?? Even hunting trusten holden it's hard to walk hunt ??? That's all we do

There is water in places but you will be fine. You cant use atv's in trusten holder. Its normally pretty dry in October.

Home Of:

Old Post 07-25-2018 03:17 AM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

If your dog gets on the other side of a bayou and the bayou is 4-5 ft deep and it is 30 degrees out, then it can be hard to walk. Or if your dog runs "something" all of the way back into Bear Lake, walking can get pretty tuff.

Old Post 07-25-2018 04:47 AM
Tkw plotts
UKC Forum Member

Well the thank you for all the info man hopefully it will be dry like you said I'm looking forward to it!!

Old Post 07-26-2018 03:13 AM