UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Traits Passed On
Pages (4): « 1 [2] 3 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
yadkintar
Banned

Ok I will tell you what you already know lol. All of us with a lot of mileage on us usually have a line of dogs we like usually because we had one out of that line that was a dog of a lifetime. Then when it is gone our natural tendency is to double up on that line to try to get that dog again with limited success usually. So then you watch another dog kinda sorta a little of the same blood but might be out of a sire you don’t like. But it is dominantly throwing the traits you like so you take your line and mix it with that line and you have revived the traits you like.

What I am saying is sometimes what works on paper don’t work in the woods.

Tar

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-17-2019 07:58 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
LNeal
UKC Forum Member

Tar Rattler

Tarbaby how many generations did it take you to breed out the laziness out of tar rattler blood line.Asking for a friend.thanks

Old Post 11-17-2019 08:25 PM
LNeal is offline Click Here to See the Profile for LNeal Click here to Send LNeal a Private Message Find more posts by LNeal Add LNeal to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Re: Tar Rattler

quote:
Originally posted by LNeal
Tarbaby how many generations did it take you to breed out the laziness out of tar rattler blood line.Asking for a friend.thanks

Well maybe it’s what it was mixed on but pretty much a rattler x lipper cross is what I had first. Then cheif a son of rattler x a heavy Finley River gyp x a rock river rocket x stylish lipper female and buddy it is ruff here and you can send them in a dozer pile they will hustle in anything. I did have some dogs out of nailor that was to lazy for me tho !! When I went with the bad habit line I got stylish Harry in there which he was double lipper. So I don’t know what I did lol.

Tar

Old Post 11-17-2019 08:39 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tar

The Yadkinriver dogs I have seen had all the hustle you could ask for, nothing lazy about them, might have been on the other side if you had lazy dogs. Lol. Dave

Old Post 11-17-2019 10:36 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Mr. Lambert

Do you honestly think ANYONE can give you an accurate answer to your question. My answer was based on paper regarding percentages, but TAR made an excellent point in that what works on paper, may not work in the woods. How many breeders do you know that have had enough generations off the same dog and has the knowledge to know for sure that any of the known traits were still getting passed down from that dog? ALL you can expect with your question is guestimates, or unfounded opinions. Dave

Old Post 11-17-2019 10:44 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Mr Richards, just because you don't know doesn't mean that there aren't a lot of breeders out there that do have a practical knowledge of the subject. I guess that they just don't like to post on the Forum.

...Tree style...Long Tall Sally...

.....Sally's Great Great Great Grandson....

Last edited by Richard Lambert on 11-18-2019 at 12:40 AM

Old Post 11-18-2019 12:37 AM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nitehunter2004
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
Mr Richards, just because you don't know doesn't mean that there aren't a lot of breeders out there that do have a practical knowledge of the subject. I guess that they just don't like to post on the Forum.

That’s Right!

Old Post 11-18-2019 12:43 AM
nitehunter2004 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nitehunter2004 Click here to Send nitehunter2004 a Private Message Find more posts by nitehunter2004 Add nitehunter2004 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

What about the Clover dog breeders? Can you ever breed out that head and color?

Old Post 11-18-2019 12:44 AM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

How many generations does it take to breed the tree out of Sacket Jr/Rat Attack dogs? And is keeping certain traits that you like in a line easier than breeding one that you don't like out?

Last edited by Richard Lambert on 11-18-2019 at 12:49 AM

Old Post 11-18-2019 12:47 AM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Mr. Lambert

I certainly don't know the answers, let me know if you find someone that does. I give you credit, these are good questions and I would love to hear the thoughts of some experienced breeders regarding these questions. Hope it isn't some big secret they will not share, could make a man rich if he can figure these things out. Dave

Last edited by Dave Richards on 11-18-2019 at 02:24 AM

Old Post 11-18-2019 02:13 AM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Mr. Lambert/Tim Osborne

Both of you have been breeding dogs for years now, Why don't you guys share your thoughts on these questions being asked, after several generations of the same line of dogs, you guys should be able to address these questions as to your own experiences. Are your desirable traits being passed on and how many generations are you seeing them in, is it a trait and not learned behavior? Is it dominant or recessive? Any bad traits that you have tried to eliminate? Have you been successful in eliminating them and if so, how many generations did it take? Does anything popup in New generations that were not seen in previous generations? Have you been able to put any new traits in your breeding stock? Have you lost any desirable traits in the newest generations? Do you breed for improvement of the breed? How successful have you been in improving the breed? If so, how many generations did it take? Are you getting better dogs with each newer generation or are the dogs not as good as prior generations? Answer these questions based on your own experiences that way they should be factual. Thank you guys in advance. Dave

Last edited by Dave Richards on 11-18-2019 at 02:53 AM

Old Post 11-18-2019 02:35 AM
Adams, Harold
UKC Forum Member

quote:

yes yes you can... cross it on a bunch of Sackett Jr. Male I have shows Whitey or Sackett Jr. or a son in every sire in fouth generation and once each in third. got a little more whitey as two females in fourth are out of him. Dog is dark brown headed blanket back tight feet no dew claws. I could of ran a TBall style ad on this dog and bred him to a thousand females probably .... got ol so n so 604 times up close not inbred!!!! Have no clue what this dog would throw looks wise probably a bunch of little calico eared pitbull looking mongrels.

Last edited by Adams, Harold on 11-18-2019 at 02:59 AM

Old Post 11-18-2019 02:56 AM
Adams, Harold is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Adams, Harold Click here to Send Adams, Harold a Private Message Click Here to Email Adams, Harold Find more posts by Adams, Harold Add Adams, Harold to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Mr Adams, sounds like a lot of tree bred to a lot of track. Did it work?

Old Post 11-18-2019 04:03 AM
Adams, Harold
UKC Forum Member

I've kept him for 5 yrs...

Old Post 11-18-2019 04:35 AM
Adams, Harold is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Adams, Harold Click here to Send Adams, Harold a Private Message Click Here to Email Adams, Harold Find more posts by Adams, Harold Add Adams, Harold to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nitehunter2004
UKC Forum Member

Re: Mr. Lambert/Tim Osborne

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
Both of you have been breeding dogs for years now, Why don't you guys share your thoughts on these questions being asked, after several generations of the same line of dogs, you guys should be able to address these questions as to your own experiences. Are your desirable traits being passed on and how many generations are you seeing them in, is it a trait and not learned behavior? Is it dominant or recessive? Any bad traits that you have tried to eliminate? Have you been successful in eliminating them and if so, how many generations did it take? Does anything popup in New generations that were not seen in previous generations? Have you been able to put any new traits in your breeding stock? Have you lost any desirable traits in the newest generations? Do you breed for improvement of the breed? How successful have you been in improving the breed? If so, how many generations did it take? Are you getting better dogs with each newer generation or are the dogs not as good as prior generations? Answer these questions based on your own experiences that way they should be factual. Thank you guys in advance. Dave

Dave the reason I can do a one hour job in 5 min is because I have 40 years experience! See I learned the hard way, if I tried to explain my Hard Earned success an failures You and a few others would pick it apart with false conspiracy theories not facts, but you have my number.

Old Post 11-18-2019 11:22 AM
nitehunter2004 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nitehunter2004 Click here to Send nitehunter2004 a Private Message Find more posts by nitehunter2004 Add nitehunter2004 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Re: Re: Mr. Lambert/Tim Osborne

quote:
Originally posted by nitehunter2004
Dave the reason I can do a one hour job in 5 min is because I have 40 years experience! See I learned the hard way, if I tried to explain my Hard Earned success an failures You and a few others would pick it apart with false conspiracy theories not facts, but you have my number.

As a breeder I have had just about as many failures as successes but that’s because of my high standards. We have such a large adverse gene pool now that makes it hard to get the same consistency every cross I understand why people feel it’s cheaper just to go buy a good dog and go strait to the hunts.

Tar

Old Post 11-18-2019 12:01 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Tarbaby, everybody has had as many failures as success's. You just have to remember the failures but concentrate on the success. One real good one will make up for a lot of failures.

Old Post 11-18-2019 02:06 PM
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

quote:
i can answer this question real quick. Yes breed to 1 that carries the preacher color. Problem solved in 1 breeding.

Old Post 11-18-2019 02:42 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tim Osborne

No one can do an hour job in 5 minutes, now some folks may take an hour to do a five minute job. Why would you implicate me in a conspiracy theory to tear you apart? I have never been anything but complimentary about you and your dogs. I actually thought that you could shed some light on Mr. Lambert questions and those that I proposed, based on your own breeding experiences. You had no problem in commenting sarcastically on my post, but I was being respectful to you. I assure you that I am in no way wanting to belittle your breeding program and have never said anything to suggest that, in fact the opposite. I may have misjudged you, I actually thought you were s stand up guy. Dave

Old Post 11-18-2019 07:34 PM
nitehunter2004
UKC Forum Member

I am a stand up guy! If I offended you I apologize but if you think of me different today than yesterday because of a post on a message board then I guess I misjudged you also.

Old Post 11-18-2019 08:10 PM
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
I am a stand up guy! If I offended you I apologize but if you think of me different today than yesterday because of a post on a message board then I guess I misjudged you also.

My feelers are hurt too I might not be Able to bear it !!

Tarbaby

Old Post 11-18-2019 08:20 PM
nitehunter2004
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
My feelers are hurt too I might not be Able to bear it !!

Tarbaby

It’s another successful day.

Old Post 11-18-2019 08:21 PM
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
It’s another successful day.

Really kinda surprised it ain’t all my fault by now I am loosing my touch!!

The magic is gone.

Tarbaby

Old Post 11-18-2019 08:28 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tim Osborne

A man's character is always being tested by everything we do and say, you are no exception, nor am I. You absolutely had no basis for making the post you made suggesting that I would just use anything you say to make unfounded or negative comments about you or your breeding program. You definitely know by all of my compliments regarding your dogs that I am a fan. Why you made your post indicating otherwise says a lot about you, don't pull my character into any response you make regarding this matter. You have to accept the responsibility of your own statements, statements that were made without foundation. You did not hurt my feelings, but you made a statement about yourself. I stand by my comments. Dave

Old Post 11-18-2019 08:45 PM
jdgher
UKC Forum Member

Re: Traits Passed On

quote:
How many generations does a male or female pass their traits on? I know that the sire and dam each only pass 50% of their genetic makeup to their pups. So their grand pups only have 25% of their genetic makeup and their great grandpups only have 12.5% of their genetic makeup. So how far down the line do y'all think that you can see traits from a dog's ancestor?

Richard,
If you like a certain trait, and you only breed dogs that have that certain trait, then I expect that trait could continue to be passed on for "ever". This might require use of frozen semen and line breeding to keep having litters with the desired trait. When outcrossing you would need to look for this trait as well.

GRNTCH PR' Steve-O and Chili's Red Flow
NTCH PR' Twisters Musical Red Huey DNA-VIP Perf Sire 06'07 Deceased 11/07
Former Home of
NTCH 'PR' Swann's Lonesome Red Music/ Kitty
NTCH. CH PR' SawBlade Red Reckon
NTCH. CH PR' Gher's Timber Mt. Brandy
Breeder of
GRNTCH PR' Daugherty's Red BUBBA
NTCH CH PR' BA'S Tree Top Rockin Griddle
NTCH PR' Lickcreek Backwoods Lil Red Annie

Old Post 11-18-2019 08:57 PM
jdgher is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jdgher Click here to Send jdgher a Private Message Click Here to Email jdgher Find more posts by jdgher Add jdgher to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote