UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > At what age?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
yotetrapper
UKC Forum Member

At what age?

I imagine I'll get as many different answers to this as I will replies, but I'm going to ask anyways.

At what age do you first introduce your pups to the scent of coon, and in what manner?

Do you work them with a coon scented drag first, and then introduce a caged coon later?

How young is too young to start them?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-15-2020 05:27 PM
yotetrapper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yotetrapper Click here to Send yotetrapper a Private Message Click Here to Email yotetrapper Find more posts by yotetrapper Add yotetrapper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DJames
UKC Forum Member

I am sure you will get plenty feedback but here is my method. Been at it over 40 years. I take a coon tail at first and put coon scent on it. It’s small and will not intimidate your pup. You can tease them with it as early as you like. Just let them play tug with it a little here and there. Then i move up to a full hide. But this is once pup is 4 or 5 months old. I lay scent drags and once treeing those then i ease them into a live coon. Let it approach the ive one at its own pace dont force it on the pup. If you have a olderdogyou can use to show the pup what to do is a plus. The main thing to me is not burn them out. Always keep them wanting more. Be patient is key as not every pup starts as early as we hope. They are all different just like us. Some mature much earlier than others and then might go backwards a little while the one that starts later may never faulter once he catches on. Hope some of this helps you. Good luck👍

GrNtCh HOF GrCh Tough Red Ruby Big Rig

GrNiteCh PR James' Tough Blue Glass Performance Sire 2009 World Qualifier

GrNiteCh PR James' Tough Blue Tank
GrNiteCh PR James' Tough Glass Shaker 9th place St Jude Saturday nite hunt 2013
NiteCh PR James' Tough Blue Shine (RIP)
NiteCh PR Tough Blue Lady (Sold)
NiteCh PR Tough Blue Rebel (Sold)

Old Post 06-15-2020 07:07 PM
DJames is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DJames Click here to Send DJames a Private Message Click Here to Email DJames Find more posts by DJames Add DJames to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Start them at 8 weeks.

Old Post 06-15-2020 10:23 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yotetrapper
UKC Forum Member

Thanks Djames.

The reason I was curious is because in re-reading Mr. Wick's book he's really convinced not to start a young dog before 8 months, but in the past I always have. I've always introduced pups to a drag as soon as they showed any interest in one, and then caged coon by 4-5 months. Now I'm questioning whether that's a bad idea.

Old Post 06-18-2020 03:35 AM
yotetrapper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yotetrapper Click here to Send yotetrapper a Private Message Click Here to Email yotetrapper Find more posts by yotetrapper Add yotetrapper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

Don't question what has always worked for you. Mr. Wick may have all the answers but that doesn't make them the right answers.

Old Post 06-18-2020 02:47 PM
yadkinriver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Lots of different answers. Mr Wicks writings were several years ago. A lot of methods have changed since then and many stayed the same. Wild Willy introduces a pup to scent when he singles them out when he feeds them. I think one thing to remember. At a young age you have be more careful about not introducing bad habits with you training and watch for concrete positive results. Young dogs benifit more from a positive environment with human contact and some obedience training. Than they do trying to chase a rag with Coon scent on it at 4 months of age. When you train a pup to excell at things it will never do in the wild at night. You are just serving you own ego. Most of the time that will come back to haunt you. You want to set the tone for balance when young. Then eliminate any radical once they start.

Old Post 06-18-2020 09:46 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

If you raise your own it is best...at a week old you can add an old sweaty T-shirt into the whelping box just so they can get used to your smell...handle them every day for a minute or two...

Take them for rides at 10 weeks and just do different things with them...don’t over do it and keep it fun...

It’s best to never force a pup to do anything they don’t want to do...call them to you when you know they will come to you...give a treat and lots of praise when they come to you...

Learn to discipline a pup in a way that the pup will not fear you...the pup should understand that you didn’t like the behavior but that you are ok with him...this should apply to grown dogs as well...
It is much easier when the pups and grown dogs trust you at all times...it does not mean you are a push over...you are the alpha...

I didn’t answer all your questions just gave you my version of setting the foundation...

Old Post 06-18-2020 10:59 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ridgerunner1988
UKC Forum Member

Coon skin and scent

I know this is a little off subject but does anyone have a coon skin they can spare to be used as a scent drag for a pup? And where can I get some good coon scent? I'm getting a pup I'm planning to start on my own but need something's to get started with if anyone can help let me know I'll pay for the stuff I need. It's out of season and hard to get a good coon skin right now.

Old Post 06-22-2020 05:37 AM
Ridgerunner1988 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ridgerunner1988 Click here to Send Ridgerunner1988 a Private Message Find more posts by Ridgerunner1988 Add Ridgerunner1988 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

Re: Coon skin and scent

quote:
Originally posted by Ridgerunner1988
I know this is a little off subject but does anyone have a coon skin they can spare to be used as a scent drag for a pup? And where can I get some good coon scent? I'm getting a pup I'm planning to start on my own but need something's to get started with if anyone can help let me know I'll pay for the stuff I need. It's out of season and hard to get a good coon skin right now.
find a roadkill.

Old Post 06-22-2020 01:28 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JesseJ
UKC Forum Member

Coon scent

Ridgerunner 88. Go to search n put in tucks coon scent. He used to sell coon scent but I haven't seen a advertisement for it lately. JesseJ

Old Post 06-22-2020 02:30 PM
JesseJ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JesseJ Click here to Send JesseJ a Private Message Click Here to Email JesseJ Find more posts by JesseJ Add JesseJ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yotetrapper
UKC Forum Member

Re: Coon scent

quote:
Originally posted by JesseJ
Ridgerunner 88. Go to search n put in tucks coon scent. He used to sell coon scent but I haven't seen a advertisement for it lately. JesseJ

He still does. His address is listed on the first page of the Vendor's forum. I sent off for mine about a week ago.

Some of the hound supply places sell tanned coon hides. I know F&T and I think Nitelite does.

Old Post 06-22-2020 02:33 PM
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

https://www.graweslures.com/

Old Post 06-22-2020 11:34 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ridgerunner1988
UKC Forum Member

Re: Coon scent

quote:
Originally posted by JesseJ
I called the number for Tucks coon scent they answered but soon as I said, " is this where i can get Tucks coon scent, " thay hang up on me, lol. So I'm not going to risk my money with them. Just thought I'd let everyone know that just in case you wanted to buy some.

Old Post 06-23-2020 01:16 AM
Ridgerunner1988 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ridgerunner1988 Click here to Send Ridgerunner1988 a Private Message Find more posts by Ridgerunner1988 Add Ridgerunner1988 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yotetrapper
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Coon scent

quote:
I called the number for Tucks coon scent they answered but soon as I said, " is this where i can get Tucks coon scent, " thay hang up on me, lol. So I'm not going to risk my money with them. Just thought I'd let everyone know that just in case you wanted to buy some.

Interesting... someone posted on the forum they just got their order of Tucks scent on June 8th.

I sent mine out this past Monday or Tuesday. I'll post here when I get it.

Old Post 06-23-2020 02:13 AM
Ridgerunner1988
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Coon scent

quote:
Originally posted by yotetrapper
Interesting... someone posted on the forum they just got their order of Tucks scent on June 8th.

I sent mine out this past Monday or Tuesday. I'll post here when I get it.

Yeah let me know if you get it. I just know they hang up on me...

Old Post 06-23-2020 02:17 AM
Coby Wright
UKC Forum Member

Re: Coon skin and scent

quote:

You can get both on eBay believe it or not.

At Stud: Gr. Nt. Ch. Wright's Stylish Lotto Bawls (click here to see ad)

Former Home of Gr. Nt. Ch. Bawling Rebel.

Old Post 06-23-2020 04:21 AM
Coby Wright is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Coby Wright Click here to Send Coby Wright a Private Message Visit Coby Wright's homepage! Find more posts by Coby Wright Add Coby Wright to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yotetrapper
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Coon scent

quote:
Yeah let me know if you get it. I just know they hang up on me...

Came in today.

Old Post 06-27-2020 11:16 PM
Ridgerunner1988
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Coon scent

quote:
Originally posted by yotetrapper
Came in today.
Great I'm sending off for mine then, they say it's the best you can buy.

Old Post 06-27-2020 11:18 PM