UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Purina Dog Chow
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
markncole
UKC Forum Member

Purina Dog Chow

How many of you houndsman feed this and what results do you have? Thanks

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-14-2019 04:02 AM
markncole is offline Click Here to See the Profile for markncole Click here to Send markncole a Private Message Click Here to Email markncole Find more posts by markncole Add markncole to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
qchounds
UKC Forum Member

Ive used it for years with no issues. But if I hunted really hard I had to feed them quite a bit to maintain weight. No, it's not the best, but if you are feeding several hounds food bills add up fast. Can't beat 57# bag at Sam's for $21...

Old Post 08-14-2019 06:11 AM
qchounds is offline Click Here to See the Profile for qchounds Click here to Send qchounds a Private Message Click Here to Email qchounds Find more posts by qchounds Add qchounds to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Roy Grant
UKC Forum Member

I agree with my good friend Dave. Hey buddy when it cools off, lets get together.

Old Post 08-14-2019 01:28 PM
Roy Grant is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Roy Grant Click here to Send Roy Grant a Private Message Click Here to Email Roy Grant Find more posts by Roy Grant Add Roy Grant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HOBO
UKC Forum Member

Are you feeding the new version of Dog Chow or still the old bag?

Ch.Swampmusic Lil Bit Sassy
Ch.Swampmusic Misty Shadow
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Boone
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Pride

But Looking To The Future...

Nt.Ch.Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Big Hoss

Dennis Robinson
Cell 540-295-3892

Old Post 08-15-2019 03:21 PM
HOBO is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HOBO Click here to Send HOBO a Private Message Click Here to Email HOBO Visit HOBO's homepage! Find more posts by HOBO Add HOBO to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Roy Grant
UKC Forum Member

Still grabbing the old bags. Going to try the chicken blend next time, which will be real soon. I saw high energy diamond 50# at farm n fleet for 24.00 dollars. I mix that in the winter with the Purina.

Old Post 08-15-2019 07:07 PM
Roy Grant is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Roy Grant Click here to Send Roy Grant a Private Message Click Here to Email Roy Grant Find more posts by Roy Grant Add Roy Grant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
H DOG
UKC Forum Member

Last edited by H DOG on 08-16-2019 at 12:56 PM

Old Post 08-15-2019 07:25 PM
H DOG is offline Click Here to See the Profile for H DOG Click here to Send H DOG a Private Message Find more posts by H DOG Add H DOG to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HOBO
UKC Forum Member

Of course it doesn’t compare to Pro plan and its half the cost too.

They’ve came out with a Lamb blend and a beef blend. I was wondering if anyone had fed those.

Ch.Swampmusic Lil Bit Sassy
Ch.Swampmusic Misty Shadow
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Boone
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Pride

But Looking To The Future...

Nt.Ch.Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Big Hoss

Dennis Robinson
Cell 540-295-3892

Old Post 08-15-2019 07:44 PM
HOBO is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HOBO Click here to Send HOBO a Private Message Click Here to Email HOBO Visit HOBO's homepage! Find more posts by HOBO Add HOBO to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
barnescreek
UKC Forum Member

Yes I feed the Complete Adult with real beef. In the red bag. I prefer it over the chicken. I switched to it from a high dollar feed and haven’t seen any less health or performance out of my dogs. I actually have to feed less of it than the high dollar feed which is a win/win. Only complaint would be the artificial food coloring. No reason for that to be in any animal feed other than to appeal to human customers. But as long as my walkers don’t turn red, it’s ok for now. 😂

Old Post 08-15-2019 08:17 PM
barnescreek is offline Click Here to See the Profile for barnescreek Click here to Send barnescreek a Private Message Find more posts by barnescreek Add barnescreek to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Pat Bizich
Banned

Careful using feed or treats with artificial coloring..

Artificial Colors and Coloring Agents...…………………..
As a rule of thumb today is that if it looks unnatural then you’re probably correct. Real, healthy and safe dog food ingredients are not supposed to be radioactive yellow or fluorescent red in color.

It has been observed that dogs consuming food with a lot of artificial coloring will take up those color compounds into their gastrointestinal tract, according to this study.
Brilliant Blue FCF, or Indigotine, another artificial color, has been shown to inhibit the growth of dogs. The dogs eventually died of intercurrent virus infections, which is theorized to have been the result of a decreased ability to fight off the infection due to the dogs compromised health.
Finally, there is evidence to suggest that regular intake of Indigotine may lead to the development of cancer .
The bright red dye known as Ponceau SX is a synthetic dye that when included in dog chow at a 2% concentration has led to the death of three of five dogs in a five-year clinically controlled study .
In the same family of dyes as Ponceau SX, Ponceau 3R has shown that including it in a dogs diet can have deleterious effects on the canines liver after a mere 32 weeks of feeding, according to this study .

Food dyes, like Red Dye 40, are chemical colorings added to dog food. They have no nutritional value, and have in fact been shown to increase hyperactivity, impulsiveness, and inattention (common ADHD symptoms in humans). (8) If your dog is having behavior problems, you might want to take a look and see if any of these colorings are in his or her current food brand.
In addition, several food dyes are confirmed carcinogens.

Yellow 5 - Also known as tartrazine or E102, this dye requires a warning label in Europe. It is commonly found in processed foods we humans consume as well as pet food, it is thought to cause neurochemical and behavior effects, including hyperactivity, aggression, and insomnia. It is also linked to asthma, allergies, thyroid tumors, lymphomas, ADHD, and chromosomal damage.
Red 40 - Perhaps the most well-known artificial food dye because of it's prevalence and bad reputation, it is tainted with cancer-causing contaminants. You've probably heard a lot about it because it is linked to ADHD and hyperactivity in children.
Blue 2 - Often contains cancer-causing contaminants and may contribute to abnormal cell development, especially in the brain. It is most closely linked to brain tumors. May also cause allergic reactions.
Yellow 6 - Has been reported to cause allergies and is linked to hyperactivity in children. Some studies have shown that it has caused adrenal gland and kidney tumors in animals. It is also linked to skin issues, asthma, and chromosomal damage.

Gone but never forgotten:
NtChGrCh Dryfork Punkin
NtChGrCh Dryfork Little Blue Baby Doll
2009 Pa Show Dog Of The Year
GrCh Dryfork Little Black Book
Gr.Ch. Make My Day Sunny
Gone too soon RIP my baby girl
Gr.Ch. Black Dog Black Cherry
GrCh Dryfork Black Dog Raine
One of kind and would make a believer out of you when you thought there were no coon left
Home of:
2009,2013,2018 Pa. State
Show Handler Of The Year
CH. Power Pack Pepper
2018 Pa. Show Dog Of Year
Gr.Ch. Batman's Poison Ivy
2011&2013 WTDA Pa State Champion
2011&2013 Overall Hunt For The Cure
Ch. Jay's Greenridge Heidi
In memory of my best friend "Jay"

Last edited by Pat Bizich on 08-15-2019 at 09:50 PM

Old Post 08-15-2019 09:45 PM
Pat Bizich is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Pat Bizich Click here to Send Pat Bizich a Private Message Find more posts by Pat Bizich Add Pat Bizich to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I been feeding the chicken. I have noticed because it is super hot here their stools are a little looser but on cool days it’s firm.

Tar

Old Post 08-15-2019 09:46 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
barnescreek
UKC Forum Member

https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/brand/

Lots of good info on this site from an independent research company that doesn’t accept money from the pet food industry. They give an actual protein/fat/carbohydrate analysis that is usually a lot different from what’s printed on the bag. They also break down each individual ingredient on almost every dog food ever made, and tell you why each ingredient is good or bad. They are in alphabetical order. Don’t click if you don’t want your feelings hurt about your favorite feed. Dog food companies are in business to make as much money as they can from as little as possible. But when you think about it, that’s business in general and not just dog food right?

Old Post 08-15-2019 11:23 PM
barnescreek is offline Click Here to See the Profile for barnescreek Click here to Send barnescreek a Private Message Find more posts by barnescreek Add barnescreek to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

I've fed about 8 bags of the dog chow naturals beef and chicken formula. no artificial coloring, 25 % protein, don't remember the fat. Dogs love it and pick it over everything I've done a side by side test with. So far I've got nothing negative to say about it. Corn is the first ingredient

Old Post 08-16-2019 12:05 AM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Triple K Kennel
UKC Forum Member

Dog Chow.....

Not another Dog Food its its Price range that can compare to Dog Chow.
All I see is Slick Hair, Firm Stools, Clear Bright Eyes.

The BEST in its Class and better than some of the Higher $$ Foods......!!!!

Quality, Dependable Coon Lights--Built by a Coonhunter for Coonhunters
==================================
** Superior Lights

** Sunspot Hunting Lights

** Zepp's--Quality Products

** Boss Lights

**Brighteyes Lights

** They Twist it until they start believing it themselves**

Purina Dog Food
** Proven Results **

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Competition Coonhunters and Politicians
** Win anyway you have to & tell everyone what they want to hear **

Old Post 08-17-2019 01:48 PM
Triple K Kennel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Triple K Kennel Click here to Send Triple K Kennel a Private Message Find more posts by Triple K Kennel Add Triple K Kennel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SHORN
UKC Forum Member

I have been feeding dog chow for years with no ill effects. I have tried other dog foods and the dogs didn't seem to do as well. Some of them have been named in this post. It looked like I was starving my dogs in the winter. I use the beef dog chow.
My wife went to Sam's Club to get dog food on Friday, they only had one bag of the beef. She thought it was odd that they hadn't restocked the shelve over night. When she checked out it rang up for a little over $16 No wonder it was the last bag.

Old Post 08-18-2019 11:52 PM
SHORN is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SHORN Click here to Send SHORN a Private Message Find more posts by SHORN Add SHORN to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
high ridge
UKC Forum Member

I have fed Dog Chow forever.
I feed the chicken. The beef caused to much mess and was loose.
From August till February I coonhunt. My dogs get 2 measuring cups a day all year. My dogs are slick,fat,and have idea muscle tone year around.
Plus,I have yet to encounter thyroid issues. Not saying dog food causes it but some have that theory.

Old Post 08-19-2019 02:21 AM
high ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for high ridge Click here to Send high ridge a Private Message Click Here to Email high ridge Find more posts by high ridge Add high ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

I've been feeding Purina Dog Chow for years. No complaints

Old Post 08-19-2019 04:15 AM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote