UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Any hope?
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

/\ Good post Dave.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-04-2020 03:58 PM
houndsound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bill(Chew)
UKC Forum Member

I personally have seen pups (and young dogs) that will not hunt because the handler unconsciously encourages them to stay with them. Try some of the methods described here and you may well be surprised by her. Another possible is to have someone else hunt her that will not let her play around the truck.

I've started several like this by turning them loose with other dogs and if they don't go put them back in the truck and leave them in the truck until the next turn out. Most went with the other dogs on the second turn out.

It's a sad lot of pups who NEVER got a chance due to their owners. Cull if they don't AFTER they have had a REAL chance. Where I live they can be tried on deer, bear, cats, or even fox if they don't make a coon dog.

Old Post 05-04-2020 04:00 PM
Bill(Chew) is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bill(Chew) Click here to Send Bill(Chew) a Private Message Click Here to Email Bill(Chew) Find more posts by Bill(Chew) Add Bill(Chew) to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Clovis A Nailor
UKC Forum Member

I got a dog last week her problem was they couldn't catch her and she was wild. She had been through 3 owners simply because they couldn't catch her. It took me about 30 minutes to fix her last night thought I fixed her to good for awhile she wouldn't leave my side but she finally went on. I know this is totally opposite of the post but showing the incompetency of some so called dog trainers. I train for pleasure dogs which is really a waste of time because there is 0 market for them. But I got a nice coon treer for free just because no one could catch her.

Old Post 05-04-2020 06:56 PM
Clovis A Nailor is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Clovis A Nailor Click here to Send Clovis A Nailor a Private Message Click Here to Email Clovis A Nailor Find more posts by Clovis A Nailor Add Clovis A Nailor to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

Re: Dogs

quote:
Originally posted by Cotton 1927
I wish I had that kind of talent that I could look at a pup 4 or5 months after he was weaned and decide if it was gonna be a coon dog or not,I got Johns number around here some place I might see if I can get me a copy of that book ......

You can tell a lot of things at 6 months old.

You can tell if they are loud, you can tell if they are dumb, you can tell if they are bold, you can tell if they are lazy, and you can tell if you are going to have to break them of covering late.

If you keep an ugly backwards pup with no mouth and no drive just because it's young then yes, maybe a book of some sort isn't a bad idea.

Old Post 05-05-2020 03:58 PM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Re: Re: Dogs

quote:
Originally posted by Josh Michaelis
You can tell a lot of things at 6 months old.

You can tell if they are loud, you can tell if they are dumb, you can tell if they are bold, you can tell if they are lazy, and you can tell if you are going to have to break them of covering late.

If you keep an ugly backwards pup with no mouth and no drive just because it's young then yes, maybe a book of some sort isn't a bad idea.

Hmmmmm I thought you elite hunters bred your dogs to be independent now I know you just shock them to be independent like the others.

Tar

Old Post 05-05-2020 04:06 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Dogs

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
Hmmmmm I thought you elite hunters bred your dogs to be independent now I know you just shock them to be independent like the others.

Tar

All you know is how to type

Old Post 05-05-2020 04:11 PM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kler Kry
UKC Forum Member

Re: Any hope?

quote:
Originally posted by GaCreekz
I have a 14 month old female that would run with my older dog. She wouldn’t leave my feet until my old dog struck a track but she would get to that track as fast as she could and opened up on track with her and went every step with her and treed. My old dog has passed now and I took her out the other night and again she wouldn’t leave my feet maybe 20 yds at best. I’m going trap a few coons and turn her loose on them. I’m just here to see if anyone else has had this happen before and if the drive in the dog will ever get any better. Thx

I've found more success in changing a habit when I change everything in the dogs environment. If its in a pen, then tie it to a box. If its on the North side of the house change it to the South side. The more that you can change will improve your chance of the dog accepting a change in its habits.

That being said the biggest lie that dog people tell them selves is; All the dog needs is more hunting!

Old Post 05-05-2020 04:20 PM
Kler Kry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kler Kry Click here to Send Kler Kry a Private Message Click Here to Email Kler Kry Find more posts by Kler Kry Add Kler Kry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Re: Dogs

quote:
All you know is how to type

I know how to make a $20 squaller with a screen in it that don’t stop up and it makes coons look lol.

Tar

Old Post 05-05-2020 04:20 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

I don't think it gets any simpler that what Josh just said. Independence like everything a coon hound has. Comes in all degrees independence. Not at all to totally.

Josh is right about 6 months of age also. That is if someone is watching them. Lots of our pups really don't get messed with enough to know what its actions are going to be at 6 months of age. They have only been looked at through their pen fencing.

I have taken on a project of 3 pups that haven't been messed with from not at all to a little bit. Been going out every morning about daylight to evaluate them and see what characteristics they have. Don't go on Saturday or Sunday mornings but other than that the are in the woods. You can learn a lot in a short period of time. You can also tell the keeper in a short period of time. You just have to fairly evaluate them. The phrase "Know when to hold them, know when to fold them" Applies to a lot of things in life including coondogs. Truth is I want to see them all do good. But I am enjoying the woods and it they are all duds. I still am having fun. I think we way over think all this and we find more ways to show the other guy is wrong than we just share a love for dogs and let the chips fall where they do.

Old Post 05-05-2020 04:28 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Charles Pullen
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Clovis A Nailor
Cut you a switch and put her in the woods and out from under your feet.
You my friend is about the only one that makes sense . Good advice !!!!!! I totally agree and yes it worked for me .

Old Post 05-05-2020 04:46 PM
Charles Pullen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Charles Pullen Click here to Send Charles Pullen a Private Message Click Here to Email Charles Pullen Find more posts by Charles Pullen Add Charles Pullen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I put this on here before but a guy gave me and a buddy an 8 yr old blue female that had never been anything but a brood female we thought we would use her to get pups messing with cage coons. She went to treeing them in the daytime. We went to taking her at night and in 60 days she was treeing coons ahead of the dogs pretty regular. You just never will know when that light switch will come on.

Tar

Old Post 05-05-2020 04:57 PM
Charles Pullen
UKC Forum Member

quote:
I put this on here before but a guy gave me and a buddy an 8 yr old blue female that had never been anything but a brood female we thought we would use her to get pups messing with cage coons. She went to treeing them in the daytime. We went to taking her at night and in 60 days she was treeing coons ahead of the dogs pretty regular. You just never will know when that light switch will come on.

Tar

Tar I agree , I’ve seen them stand there over & over but then one night something clicks . They all don’t click over but a few will . Question is how long are ready to stand in line .

Old Post 05-05-2020 05:03 PM
Charles Pullen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Charles Pullen Click here to Send Charles Pullen a Private Message Click Here to Email Charles Pullen Find more posts by Charles Pullen Add Charles Pullen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Charles I don’t have that much patience anymore. But I used to be pretty good at taking one sombody gave up on and making it work. They want them to do things nowadays that don’t appeal to me to old for those grueling death marches anymore lol. If your dog trees a coon ahead of mine I want mine to be there and I will tell you your dog done a good job and we will go on hunting.

Tar

Old Post 05-05-2020 05:15 PM
Al Medcalf
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Dogs

quote:

Tar

And they deserve a whupping for that

Old Post 05-05-2020 06:08 PM
Al Medcalf is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Al Medcalf Click here to Send Al Medcalf a Private Message Click Here to Email Al Medcalf Find more posts by Al Medcalf Add Al Medcalf to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cotton 1927
UKC Forum Member

Dogs

So regardless of what you World Champion dog trainers super duper elite early starting pup breeders say, all pups don't run and tree at 6 or 8 months old,some of you fellas have sat around in the clubhouse and on the tailgate BSing looking at your garmin you have started believing your own nonsense, you've become lazy because if you gotta hunt one more than 3 times and don't have a cast win your done with,it's ok it's your generation throw it away and get another! Look at the for sale adds.....go ahead , young green dogs for sale page after page,must sell to make Room for pups Ha! And BTW Tar can do more than Type, he actually makes sense Most of the time.....so keep on tooting your horn,and blowing your squaller, remember we all ain't boys, I never did like kool aid!

Last edited by Cotton 1927 on 05-05-2020 at 07:00 PM

Old Post 05-05-2020 06:46 PM
Cotton 1927 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cotton 1927 Click here to Send Cotton 1927 a Private Message Click Here to Email Cotton 1927 Find more posts by Cotton 1927 Add Cotton 1927 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lance Laymon
UKC Forum Member

It seems the old saying may apply " There is always hope but little chance"

Old Post 05-05-2020 07:09 PM
Lance Laymon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lance Laymon Click here to Send Lance Laymon a Private Message Find more posts by Lance Laymon Add Lance Laymon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sfox91
UKC Forum Member

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience

Old Post 05-05-2020 07:59 PM
Sfox91 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sfox91 Click here to Send Sfox91 a Private Message Click Here to Email Sfox91 Find more posts by Sfox91 Add Sfox91 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

Re: Dogs

quote:
Originally posted by Cotton 1927
So regardless of what you World Champion dog trainers super duper elite early starting pup breeders say, all pups don't run and tree at 6 or 8 months old,some of you fellas have sat around in the clubhouse and on the tailgate BSing looking at your garmin you have started believing your own nonsense, you've become lazy because if you gotta hunt one more than 3 times and don't have a cast win your done with,it's ok it's your generation throw it away and get another! Look at the for sale adds.....go ahead , young green dogs for sale page after page,must sell to make Room for pups Ha! And BTW Tar can do more than Type, he actually makes sense Most of the time.....so keep on tooting your horn,and blowing your squaller, remember we all ain't boys, I never did like kool aid!

Nobody said they all run and tree by 6-8 months.

Old Post 05-05-2020 08:38 PM
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Sfox91
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience

I like that that’s pretty good lol.

Tar

Old Post 05-05-2020 08:38 PM
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by GaCreekz
All replies are appreciated. She came out of an all grand pedigree but that doesn’t mean anything Ik that. She has a home at my house forever and I may be wasting my time or I might not. That is the only reason I am still giving her a chance.
For me it would depend on how much correction she could take. If switching her makes her get under the truck, that obviously won't work. I would try waiting her out. Just sit there until she leaves. you've got plenty of time since you're keeping her forever.

Old Post 05-06-2020 01:30 AM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BrokeBackKennel
Banned

Re: Re: Any hope?

quote:
I'd have gotten rid of her way before the old dog died.
Yep you should cull more of your and jeds junk Josh

Broke Back Kennels video productions

Old Post 05-06-2020 03:53 AM
BrokeBackKennel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BrokeBackKennel Click here to Send BrokeBackKennel a Private Message Click Here to Email BrokeBackKennel Find more posts by BrokeBackKennel Add BrokeBackKennel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Any hope?

quote:
Originally posted by BrokeBackKennel
Yep you should cull more of your and jeds junk Josh

You should quit making up fake internet profiles just to say things you are too scared to put your name on.

Old Post 05-06-2020 02:03 PM
BrokeBackKennel
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Re: Any hope?

quote:
You should quit making up fake internet profiles just to say things you are too scared to put your name on.

Not scared here next hunt I see you at I have a special squaller for you to blow on! I bet you love it,

Old Post 05-06-2020 02:45 PM
BrokeBackKennel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BrokeBackKennel Click here to Send BrokeBackKennel a Private Message Click Here to Email BrokeBackKennel Find more posts by BrokeBackKennel Add BrokeBackKennel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DAVE H
UKC Forum Member

Guys, we are all in this together!!
None of us are so smart we can't learn from someone else, this forum is great to learn from others opinions and experiences.
If we don't agree that is fine, doesn't mean it's wrong or right just different.
It's up to each of us to take in information and make our own decisions.
Please let's all get along learn from each other, it will make for better dogs and friends!!

BLUE GHOST HAUNTED SKY

Old Post 05-06-2020 10:32 PM
DAVE H is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DAVE H Click here to Send DAVE H a Private Message Click Here to Email DAVE H Find more posts by DAVE H Add DAVE H to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BrokeBackKennel
Banned

Right can’t we all just get along 😀👍 blame it on the corona virus 🦟

Old Post 05-06-2020 10:45 PM