UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Any hope?
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
GaCreekz
UKC Forum Member

Any hope?

I have a 14 month old female that would run with my older dog. She wouldn’t leave my feet until my old dog struck a track but she would get to that track as fast as she could and opened up on track with her and went every step with her and treed. My old dog has passed now and I took her out the other night and again she wouldn’t leave my feet maybe 20 yds at best. I’m going trap a few coons and turn her loose on them. I’m just here to see if anyone else has had this happen before and if the drive in the dog will ever get any better. Thx

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-03-2020 05:51 AM
GaCreekz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GaCreekz Click here to Send GaCreekz a Private Message Click Here to Email GaCreekz Find more posts by GaCreekz Add GaCreekz to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

Re: Any hope?

quote:
Originally posted by GaCreekz
I have a 14 month old female that would run with my older dog. She wouldn’t leave my feet until my old dog struck a track but she would get to that track as fast as she could and opened up on track with her and went every step with her and treed. My old dog has passed now and I took her out the other night and again she wouldn’t leave my feet maybe 20 yds at best. I’m going trap a few coons and turn her loose on them. I’m just here to see if anyone else has had this happen before and if the drive in the dog will ever get any better. Thx

I'd have gotten rid of her way before the old dog died.

Old Post 05-03-2020 01:09 PM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mark V.
UKC Forum Member

if you think she was really trailing with your old dog i would turn a coon loose WITHOUT her seeing it once they use thier nose dont ever let them see a live coon in a trap you might put a bucket feeder out to give somewhere to go sit an let her do her thing J.M.o.

Old Post 05-03-2020 01:47 PM
Mark V. is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mark V. Click here to Send Mark V. a Private Message Click Here to Email Mark V. Find more posts by Mark V. Add Mark V. to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
delta nightlife
UKC Forum Member

Don’t worry with a coon right now just take her on walks in the woods till she starts to leave you like she is suppose to you pretty much have a 14 month stuck in a 6 month old state of mind

Old Post 05-03-2020 01:48 PM
delta nightlife is offline Click Here to See the Profile for delta nightlife Click here to Send delta nightlife a Private Message Click Here to Email delta nightlife Find more posts by delta nightlife Add delta nightlife to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

Not much hope. Some day she may hunt some and tree some coons but lack of desire will remain with her always

Old Post 05-03-2020 03:12 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cotton 1927
UKC Forum Member

Dog

I like to make a suggestion , try walking your dog in the daylight 6 or 7 times and see how she acts,sometimes it's a confidence thing with young dogs, unless you have unlimited resources and a unlimited supply of dogs ( getting rid) of them is not always the ansewer.....just a quick way out keep us posted!

Old Post 05-03-2020 03:22 PM
Cotton 1927 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cotton 1927 Click here to Send Cotton 1927 a Private Message Click Here to Email Cotton 1927 Find more posts by Cotton 1927 Add Cotton 1927 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rdmedders
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Any hope?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Josh Michaelis
I'd have gotten rid of her way before the old dog died. [/QUOTE
You might have got rid of a nice dog!
14 month is still a pup , lots of learning let.
There’s no telling how many pups we all have sold or gave away that would of made someone a nice dog☹️

Old Post 05-03-2020 04:43 PM
rdmedders is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rdmedders Click here to Send rdmedders a Private Message Click Here to Email rdmedders Find more posts by rdmedders Add rdmedders to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cory Highfill
UKC Forum Member

I'd respectfully disagree with those telling you to walk her around. Your old dog was carrying her hunting, and now she expects you to.
If she were mine, I'd drop her a few times and wait her out. Sit in the truck, play on your phone, take a nap, but don't walk her. When you do, you're reinforcing a bad habit.
Personally, I wouldn't be real excited about a young dog that I had to encourage to go hunting. But if her training to this point has encouraged her to be that way, why should you expect anything else?

Old Post 05-03-2020 04:58 PM
Cory Highfill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cory Highfill Click here to Send Cory Highfill a Private Message Click Here to Email Cory Highfill Find more posts by Cory Highfill Add Cory Highfill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Clovis A Nailor
UKC Forum Member

Cut you a switch and put her in the woods and out from under your feet.

Old Post 05-03-2020 05:25 PM
Clovis A Nailor is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Clovis A Nailor Click here to Send Clovis A Nailor a Private Message Click Here to Email Clovis A Nailor Find more posts by Clovis A Nailor Add Clovis A Nailor to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Cory Highfill
I'd respectfully disagree with those telling you to walk her around. Your old dog was carrying her hunting, and now she expects you to.
If she were mine, I'd drop her a few times and wait her out. Sit in the truck, play on your phone, take a nap, but don't walk her. When you do, you're reinforcing a bad habit.
Personally, I wouldn't be real excited about a young dog that I had to encourage to go hunting. But if her training to this point has encouraged her to be that way, why should you expect anything else?

X2...walking the dog and giving treats along the way is only to speed up making friends with a new dog or pup...this is not good for a dog that isn’t getting out hunting...

Like Cory Highfill said...take the dog to a good spot where there are coons and turn her loose and sit back and ignore the dog...

You want the dog fresh out of the kennel and before feeding...predators hunt when hungry...you want your dog with built up energy as well...stack everything in your favor...praise when she trees and when she mouths a coon...

Part of the problem could be that turning the pup in to the race created expectations for the pup...the pup was trained to go to a dog that running a track...

Walking a dog too often and the dog might think it is supposed to stay by you...

Petting the dog too much when he comes in might make a dog stay close...

Turning the dog loose in pipelines or dirt roads and we wonder why they run down a pipeline for a mile before they cut into the woods...instead walk in a hundred yards and cast them in the woods...

Sometimes we don’t realize our mistakes until it is a problem...

I’d give this pup another 4 months...

Old Post 05-03-2020 05:45 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Any hope?

quote:
Originally posted by rdmedders
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Josh Michaelis
I'd have gotten rid of her way before the old dog died. [/QUOTE
You might have got rid of a nice dog!
14 month is still a pup , lots of learning let.
There’s no telling how many pups we all have sold or gave away that would of made someone a nice dog☹️

I've never seen one I didn't like at 6 months old that made a dog I wanted.

Old Post 05-03-2020 06:11 PM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MUSKY
UKC Forum Member

I had one like you describe at one time, I went to a good place that she could hit a coon and sat down and waited for her to leave. It worked and she turned out to be a pretty nice dog. It may take a while but just wait her out.

Home of:
A couple old plugs

Old Post 05-03-2020 06:19 PM
MUSKY is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MUSKY Click here to Send MUSKY a Private Message Click Here to Email MUSKY Find more posts by MUSKY Add MUSKY to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cotton 1927
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Any hope?

quote:
Originally posted by Josh Michaelis
I've never seen one I didn't like at 6 months old that made a dog I wanted.
So just asking what's your cull date 13 weeks? 4 months? 8 months ? Your culling by age the op never gave any details on how much the dog had been hunted, wouldn't it be nice just look at the DOB and say there not gonna make it!

Old Post 05-03-2020 07:20 PM
Cotton 1927 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cotton 1927 Click here to Send Cotton 1927 a Private Message Click Here to Email Cotton 1927 Find more posts by Cotton 1927 Add Cotton 1927 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Any hope?

quote:
Originally posted by Cotton 1927
So just asking what's your cull date 13 weeks? 4 months? 8 months ? Your culling by age the op never gave any details on how much the dog had been hunted, wouldn't it be nice just look at the DOB and say there not gonna make it!

While one can never find the perfect age to know when to cull.... I would rather accidentally get rid of one good dog I culled too early... then to mess with a junk dog for a year because I culled too late.

dk

Old Post 05-03-2020 08:56 PM
houndsound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cotton 1927
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Any hope?

quote:
Originally posted by houndsound
While one can never find the perfect age to know when to cull.... I would rather accidentally get rid of one good dog I culled too early... then to mess with a junk dog for a year because I culled too late.

dk

I was waiting......a lot of folks get soured up on a pup or young dog and from that point forward it never gets a chance , a dogs worst enemy at that point is his owner not his pedigree, Me, You, and all the dog whispers in the world can't look at a dog under 10 or 12 months old and say he ain't gonna make it,with any level of certainty ...if you could you should go in the guide dog business they don't start serious training till the dogs a year old.....

Last edited by Cotton 1927 on 05-03-2020 at 10:30 PM

Old Post 05-03-2020 10:23 PM
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Any hope?

quote:
I was waiting......a lot of folks get soured up on a pup or young dog and from that point forward it never gets a chance , a dogs worst enemy at that point is his owner not his pedigree,

a lot of folks get soured up on a pup or young dog and from that point forward it never gets a chance , a dogs worst enemy at that point is his owner not his pedigree, [/B][/QUOTE]

Cotton...you just said something most don’t think about...In my opinion a dog can read our emotions better than we can without us acting out...that is a disadvantage to the pup...and then our attitude towards the pup won’t be the best...

I am the worst about young dogs starting and am looking for natural abilities...

I put a lot of importance on first time performance...like green eyed slobber mouth baying the first time the pup sees a wild pig...and it’s exciting when that 5 month old pup hits the woods like he’s been doing for years...we cannot wait to take this pup out the next time just to see it perform...these are the type we should breed and not those that need a top of tracks to make decent dogs... but all pups need a fair chance...

Old Post 05-03-2020 10:42 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Any hope?

quote:
Originally posted by Reuben
a lot of folks get soured up on a pup or young dog and from that point forward it never gets a chance , a dogs worst enemy at that point is his owner not his pedigree,

Cotton...you just said something most don’t think about...In my opinion a dog can read our emotions better than we can without us acting out...that is a disadvantage to the pup...and then our attitude towards the pup won’t be the best...

I am the worst about young dogs starting and am looking for natural abilities...

I put a lot of importance on first time performance...like green eyed slobber mouth baying the first time the pup sees a wild pig...and it’s exciting when that 5 month old pup hits the woods like he’s been doing for years...we cannot wait to take this pup out the next time just to see it perform...these are the type we should breed and not those that need a top of tracks to make decent dogs... but all pups need a fair chance... [/B][/QUOTE]

That awesome pup excites us and because dogs can read our emotions they will perform accordingly...

Old Post 05-03-2020 10:45 PM
Cotton 1927
UKC Forum Member

Dogs

Reuben I agree with you Sir we all like those early starting dogs and we should breed for them but the reality of it is even when we cross the very best early starting dogs we own there's no guarantee we will get the same , so we have to look beyond our wants, and realize sometimes you just gotta put in the time with young dogs, there's no shortcuts to hunting time and exposure .....

Old Post 05-03-2020 11:16 PM
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Any hope?

quote:

On pups I raise. 6-8 months.

I don't care if they have never been out of the kennel at 14 months, it doesn't take a walk with wick book to tell you that if a dog has been hunted a few times and it won't leave your feet until another dog barks it is junk.

Y'all can pup whisper this thing all you want, but not many are gonna be good at their job, and this pup is one of them.

I don't care if he totes the thing around till it's ten, it's still gonna be sorry.

Old Post 05-03-2020 11:37 PM
GaCreekz
UKC Forum Member

All replies are appreciated. She came out of an all grand pedigree but that doesn’t mean anything Ik that. She has a home at my house forever and I may be wasting my time or I might not. That is the only reason I am still giving her a chance.

Old Post 05-03-2020 11:44 PM
GaCreekz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GaCreekz Click here to Send GaCreekz a Private Message Click Here to Email GaCreekz Find more posts by GaCreekz Add GaCreekz to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Clovis A Nailor
UKC Forum Member

You got to know the story on a pup. I've never seen a pup that was doing it to it at 7 months old turn out to be anything. But i have seen a dog that was 3 years old that didn't hit a lick that turned out to be a crackerjack. And if you got a Walker dog there's a good chance he's in the pedigree. And one thing more most people are not puppy trainers. I start pups but I don't finish them simply because that's what I like to do I have been told why you wasting your time on that pup just for the same person to try to buy it 6 months later. But a dog hanging under your feet will never do anything cut you a switch and put that sucker in the woods don't make it comfortable hanging out with you or just make him a yard dog. Help yourself to help your dog. Is it going to be a switch or a .22 bullet some times a heavy hand is all you need.

Old Post 05-04-2020 12:04 AM
Clovis A Nailor is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Clovis A Nailor Click here to Send Clovis A Nailor a Private Message Click Here to Email Clovis A Nailor Find more posts by Clovis A Nailor Add Clovis A Nailor to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cotton 1927
UKC Forum Member

Dogs

I wish I had that kind of talent that I could look at a pup 4 or5 months after he was weaned and decide if it was gonna be a coon dog or not,I got Johns number around here some place I might see if I can get me a copy of that book ......

Old Post 05-04-2020 01:10 AM
fullhouse
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Any hope?

quote:
Originally posted by Josh Michaelis
On pups I raise. 6-8 months.

I don't care if they have never been out of the kennel at 14 months, it doesn't take a walk with wick book to tell you that if a dog has been hunted a few times and it won't leave your feet until another dog barks it is junk.

Y'all can pup whisper this thing all you want, but not many are gonna be good at their job, and this pup is one of them.

I don't care if he totes the thing around till it's ten, it's still gonna be sorry.

+1000. Not nearly enough culling goes on in this sport. And for every story someone might post about one that old that ended up making it there are a 1000 that doesn't. To OP if the dog has a home with you for life anyways then by all means take it on a 1000 walks. The dog will love it.

Old Post 05-04-2020 01:48 AM
fullhouse is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fullhouse Click here to Send fullhouse a Private Message Find more posts by fullhouse Add fullhouse to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

A few things considered
If ya want early starters ya don't mess with late starters.
If ya can't cull and move on. Your stuck with anything and everything.
If ya put the effort and time into a pup you'll know between 6 months to year old . It really depends on the handler much more than the pup. Most don't want to hear that because it puts the pressure on themselves but it's a fact.

Old Post 05-04-2020 01:54 AM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Dog

Like it or not Josh was telling the truth, no matter what age a dog is, they either got drive ( hunt ) or they do not. Yes, you can walk them over tracks, but they will never be a good hunting dog. Years ago, a lot of pups had no hunt to them, that worked in a pack mentality, it does not work hunting them by themselves. I saw so many pups that would not hunt in my younger days that I absolutely started hating the thought of hunting pups. Most stood around your feet making so much noise in the dry leaves that you had a hard time hearing the old dogs running a track. Today's pups are a different breed and most will hunt good even before they start running a track or treeing. I would never spend any real time with a dog that will not hunt, not when most dogs hunt good these days. Dave

Old Post 05-04-2020 05:39 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote