UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Dogs running quiet?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Elijah Goheen
New UKC Forum Member

Dogs running quiet?

The past 2 nights my 2 redbones have been running quiet. Only one chase where they opened up each night and ended up being short chases ending at den trees. Tuesday night, before they ran the track that ended up at the den tree, they both ran a long track up out of the creek bottom, along the ridge, and up to the next flat. Whatever it was had them run a big circle on that flat like it was trying to confuse them or something and then busted straight out the ridge towards the edge of the mountain down toward the river. Also they would stop and be stationary for a while like they were tree’d and the garmin would mark them as tree’d, but every time I got within 150-100 yards of where it marked them as tree’d they would break out into another chase that would go for 200-250 yards until they would be marked tree’d again. Not once did they open up or was I able to hear them open up, not on track or tree during this chase. Almost had a similar chase like that tonight until I called them off it since they weren’t barking. Both dogs are 6 years old, I got them as pups years back. They both opened up loud and clear on Monday on track and tree when they put a coon up. Also they have never chased deer and from watching them on the garmin I don’t think this is a deer that they are chasing. Too much circling around. If you have any idea on what they could be chasing or why they haven’t opened up these past 2 nights please respond

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-09-2020 05:39 AM
Elijah Goheen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Elijah Goheen Click here to Send Elijah Goheen a Private Message Find more posts by Elijah Goheen Add Elijah Goheen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Crooked Branch
UKC Forum Member

Sounds like a Bobcat.

CROOKED BRANCH KENNELS

Old Post 04-09-2020 06:10 AM
Crooked Branch is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Crooked Branch Click here to Send Crooked Branch a Private Message Find more posts by Crooked Branch Add Crooked Branch to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Elijah Goheen
New UKC Forum Member

Thanks. Been doing some reading also sounds like it could possibly be a fisher. I know we have some in the area too

Old Post 04-09-2020 06:50 AM
Elijah Goheen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Elijah Goheen Click here to Send Elijah Goheen a Private Message Find more posts by Elijah Goheen Add Elijah Goheen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnny reb
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Crooked Branch
Sounds like a Bobcat.

That would be my guess also if it happens again try going into the tree with lights off and quite.

Old Post 04-09-2020 11:57 AM
johnny reb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnny reb Click here to Send johnny reb a Private Message Click Here to Email johnny reb Find more posts by johnny reb Add johnny reb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BAS
UKC Forum Member

This reminds me of a older gentlemen that I hunted with years ago.
When the dogs was running something that we could not figure out, he would say "tem dawgs are after a dab gum Filly Twister agan"
If you asked him what a "Filly Twister" was, he would say if you can figure that out we will all know what the dogs were running.
Any time the dogs would run something that he could not figure out it was a Filly Twister.
So I guess your dogs were after a Filly Twister.

but sounds like your dogs are running a Cat. About 30 years ago I had a big redbone gyp that loved to run a cat. She was a very good coon dog unless she ran across a cat. She would leave a coon to run a cat.
You could tell when she was on a cat. She would get hush mouth. She would open very little and would not tree as hard. Just enough to keep up with her. Once this happen we would wait to go the tree. Let the Cat get cold then go to the tree with out lights off. This worked most of the time

Old Post 04-09-2020 12:44 PM
BAS is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BAS Click here to Send BAS a Private Message Click Here to Email BAS Find more posts by BAS Add BAS to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

Sounds like deer to me. When they stop circling the deer have just stopped to get there breath. I have seen it happen more often than ya think. Some dogs just won't take a deer down others will. Sometimes the answer is very simple if ya can handle the honest truth others just won't believe there good old broke dog would run deer.

Old Post 04-09-2020 02:10 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FLYbyNIGHT
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by pamjohnson
Sounds like deer to me. When they stop circling the deer have just stopped to get there breath. I have seen it happen more often than ya think. Some dogs just won't take a deer down others will. Sometimes the answer is very simple if ya can handle the honest truth others just won't believe there good old broke dog would run deer.

Yeah deer are known to do circles...especially bucks..seen it when runnin deer dogs...
Might be a red fox ..they do circles also...heard a grey fox will climb trees..
They probably aint openin cuz they know they arent suppose to run that off game...

Old Post 04-09-2020 02:15 PM
FLYbyNIGHT is offline Click Here to See the Profile for FLYbyNIGHT Click here to Send FLYbyNIGHT a Private Message Find more posts by FLYbyNIGHT Add FLYbyNIGHT to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Corey Gruver
UKC Forum Member

Bobcat or Grey Fox I would say.

Old Post 04-09-2020 02:25 PM
Corey Gruver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Corey Gruver Click here to Send Corey Gruver a Private Message Find more posts by Corey Gruver Add Corey Gruver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by pamjohnson
[B]Sounds like deer to me. When they stop circling the deer have just stopped to get there breath. I have seen it happen more often than ya think. Some dogs just won't take a deer down others will. Sometimes the answer is very simple if ya can handle the honest truth others just won't believe there good old broke dog would run deer.

But how fast the dogs were moving the track should give you some information. My $ is on coyote more than cat or deer. Coyote will run big circles to loose the dogs and hold up in brush n log piles and then make a break for it. But again its my experience that deer don't hold up long enough for the Garmin to "show treed" very often. How big of a loop that was run on the flats being described is key info. I haven't seen many cat races, but the ones a saw the dogs didn't push much harder or faster than a coon.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 04-09-2020 06:36 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
myhosss
UKC Forum Member

GREY FOX

Grey Fox JUMPING AND LOOKING BACK.

Old Post 04-09-2020 06:38 PM
myhosss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for myhosss Click here to Send myhosss a Private Message Find more posts by myhosss Add myhosss to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

Probably"some kind of old doomus" ... If it's around water it's probably an "old water thang"... lol 😂

Old Post 04-09-2020 08:18 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Elijah Goheen
New UKC Forum Member

Thanks for all the replies. The chase itself Tuesday night was probably 2 hours long. When I did catch up to some of the areas where the garmin showed “tree’d” it usually was near a big dead fall that was down or in a spot w/ some big oaks or big pines. I also found a dead porcupine in the creek bottom not to far from where they first started the chase. And possibly could be deer as some have suggested, but I highly doubt it just because of the amount of times I have come across deer with them and they’ve shown no interest. Had more trouble with them chasing turkeys when they were younger than I ever did with deer. And I know from the past that if they bay something up I usually can only hear one dog bark because the other does a really low, mean sounding growl. The area has a lot of coyote/fox sign and we’ve had coyote,fox, fisher, bear and 1 bobcat on the trail cams in that same area over the years so who knows what it is. Thanks for all the input. If it happens again in the next couple nights or I end up ever seeing what it is they’re chasing I’ll let everyone know

Old Post 04-09-2020 08:41 PM
Elijah Goheen
New UKC Forum Member

Also the circle that was ran before it broke out the flat/hill was probably about 150-250 yards big, not exactly sure. And the pace wasn’t very fast at all. It was like they’re typical trailing speed other than the few burst out the flat. Almost like what ever it was did a lot of sneaking around/trying to trick them before running. Once or twice I thought they were calling it quits and coming back because they were going back across the hill the way they came, and then they would either break up or down hill then end up going back out towards the edge of the mtn/river, almost like whatever it was would get out in front of them, go back over it’s track, break off, and try and get up above them or below them

Old Post 04-09-2020 08:57 PM
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

I'm going with coyote. A dog would bark running any game other than another dog.

Old Post 04-10-2020 12:47 AM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

One does not really know what the dogs are running, but you know it's not a coons. If it's not a coons, you should never let them run anything else. If they were mine they would get shocked for messing with off game. Dave

Old Post 04-10-2020 01:24 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

You're right, Dave. As a coon hunter there's only two things your dog ran run. Coons and non-coons.

Old Post 04-10-2020 01:36 AM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Elijah Goheen
New UKC Forum Member

Yeah you guys are definitely right about that. I’m gonna shock them off of it if it happens again. I wouldn’t mind them chasing cats but here in PA we can only take 1 per person and the season isn’t very long so there isn’t much of an opportunity for it. When I originally got them I wanted to train them for coon and cat but could never find any fresh tracks to put them on. And being in high school at the time I didn’t have enough free time to really go searching for cat tracks

Old Post 04-10-2020 01:50 AM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Elijah

You will better off in the long run, as you Said 1 cat limit and short season is not much incentive to have them run bobcat ever. I have seen good coons dogs aggrevate you to death messing with a bobcat. Mine do not get by messing with anything but a coon track. Dave

Old Post 04-10-2020 02:44 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
paridgerunner
UKC Forum Member

fisher

Not sure what part of Pa you're in, but I'd say good chance of a fisher, from what you described that's what it sounds like me.

Old Post 04-10-2020 03:08 PM
paridgerunner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for paridgerunner Click here to Send paridgerunner a Private Message Click Here to Email paridgerunner Find more posts by paridgerunner Add paridgerunner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Elijah Goheen
Also the circle that was ran before it broke out the flat/hill was probably about 150-250 yards big, not exactly sure. And the pace wasn’t very fast at all. It was like they’re typical trailing speed other than the few burst out the flat. Almost like what ever it was did a lot of sneaking around/trying to trick them before running. Once or twice I thought they were calling it quits and coming back because they were going back across the hill the way they came, and then they would either break up or down hill then end up going back out towards the edge of the mtn/river, almost like whatever it was would get out in front of them, go back over it’s track, break off, and try and get up above them or below them

Fisher is my guess by all the info. The speed of the track and the smaller circles and the dead porky point me that direction. Fisher can timber out like squirrel and bail out like bobcats sometimes. If the speed of the track was faster it could be fox or coyote. Grey fox run figure 8's and reds run 100-300 yard loops but the loops will move in a direction from what I've seen. And coyotes will run 300 yard loop to 3 mile loop or straight line for miles. It depends on the coyote on how he runs when pressure is applied. I've also seen coyotes run back n forth on top of a ridge for 3 hours running from clear cut to clear cut. Deer can do anything but most dogs move deer tracks at a pretty speed. Deer usually do bigger loops like a fox but bigger.

Just my personal experiences I thought I'd share so if you see if you've got an idea what it is.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 04-10-2020 05:14 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Re: Post

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
One does not really know what the dogs are running, but you know it's not a coons. If it's not a coons, you should never let them run anything else. If they were mine they would get shocked for messing with off game. Dave

Dave I had been waiting for someone to say that.

Old Post 04-10-2020 05:52 PM
Preacher Tom is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Clovis A Nailor
UKC Forum Member

I would think coyote. A coyote ain't no chump. He'll run almost right in front of a dog he's not going to waste energy leaving the country unless you have a dog or dogs that have some grit to them. I've seen my coyote hounds go silent when they looking at one don't want to waste a bark if they trying to catch him. I would think your dogs where looking at one and didn't know what to do with him and he would run and stop really he was playing with them. I would say it don't matter they where trashing light them up next time.

Old Post 04-10-2020 07:15 PM
Clovis A Nailor is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Clovis A Nailor Click here to Send Clovis A Nailor a Private Message Click Here to Email Clovis A Nailor Find more posts by Clovis A Nailor Add Clovis A Nailor to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Clovis A Nailor
UKC Forum Member

A coyote will only go the speed he needs to go to stay just in front of what's running him I don't care if you are have 13 inch beagles or some hard running foxhounds. A coyote race is a 50% sight race terrain matters in just how much they looking at him. If he don't think he has to run to stay safe he simply won't run.

Old Post 04-10-2020 07:24 PM
Clovis A Nailor is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Clovis A Nailor Click here to Send Clovis A Nailor a Private Message Click Here to Email Clovis A Nailor Find more posts by Clovis A Nailor Add Clovis A Nailor to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Elijah Goheen
New UKC Forum Member

Thanks for the replies. Definitely gonna shock them if it happens again

Old Post 04-10-2020 11:43 PM