UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Best live trap bait for coons
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Carl Fox
UKC Forum Member

DELETE

DELETE

Last edited by Carl Fox on 06-10-2014 at 08:47 PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-07-2009 12:48 PM
Carl Fox is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Carl Fox Click here to Send Carl Fox a Private Message Find more posts by Carl Fox Add Carl Fox to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bubbasullivan
UKC Forum Member

sardines

pull the tab up and crack the lid about a quarter inch... leave tab upright and place a stick through both sides of the cage and through the ring of the sardine can! works for me every time. the only con to this is one in ten will be a possum

Old Post 07-07-2009 01:05 PM
bubbasullivan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bubbasullivan Click here to Send bubbasullivan a Private Message Click Here to Email bubbasullivan Find more posts by bubbasullivan Add bubbasullivan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
stinkbait1
UKC Forum Member

bait

i just put the bait under the traps pan and when the coon tries to get it, bam he's caught. i have the best luck on peanut butter.

Old Post 07-07-2009 01:14 PM
stinkbait1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for stinkbait1 Click here to Send stinkbait1 a Private Message Find more posts by stinkbait1 Add stinkbait1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
coon dawg
UKC Forum Member

........thin line of Karo syrup leading into the trap........chocolate chip cookies inside..........you can catch 'em in a ripe sweet corn patch with this..............

Old Post 07-07-2009 01:16 PM
coon dawg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for coon dawg Click here to Send coon dawg a Private Message Find more posts by coon dawg Add coon dawg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Robert Johnson
UKC Forum Member

brown sugar, peanut butter, powdered donuts, honey buns, almost anything that is sweet will get them in the trap quickly.

Johnson Creek Kennels
home of:
UKC Grand Nite Champion "PR" Yadkin River Addkis. Deceased 12/11/2016 RIP

2009/2010/2011/2012 AKC GA. State Leader and Supreme Grand Nite Champion Yadkin River Addkis

2010 ACHA Georgia State Champion Grand Nite Champion Yadkin River Addkis

PKC Champion Yadkin River Addkis

Bright Eye Lights

Treeing Walkers

912-663-5287 cell (perfered)

Old Post 07-07-2009 02:01 PM
Robert Johnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Robert Johnson Click here to Send Robert Johnson a Private Message Click Here to Email Robert Johnson Find more posts by Robert Johnson Add Robert Johnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wade lucking
UKC Forum Member

big marshmellows work best for me.

'Pr' Lucking's Code Red Mountain Dew ( Owned by chad porter and myself) ( Daughter of Desperado) 2 1st place wins ukc nite hunt. 1 best of show with comp , bench show.

'Pr' Lucking's Northern Red Tucker

AND THE PAST:
NT.CH.CH.LUCKING'S KN. LAKE TROOPER
NT.CH.GR.CH.LUCKING'S RAISIN KANE(son of trooper)
NT.CH.CH. LUCKING'S MAD MAGGIE(niece to tornado)
GR.CH.NT.CH.LUCKING'S RED TORNADO(son of trooper)
NT.CH.GR.CH.L&I RED HOT WYLIE(son of tornado)
'pr'lucking's northern red cowgirl (daughter of wylie)(needs just a 1st given to mark barnett)
nt.ch.gr.ch.Lucking's Midnite Desperado (son of cowgirl)(sold to bill tabler)
Nt.Ch.Ch. Desperado's Midnite 3 D(son of Desperado) (given to larry tabler)

Old Post 07-07-2009 02:17 PM
wade lucking is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wade lucking Click here to Send wade lucking a Private Message Click Here to Email wade lucking Find more posts by wade lucking Add wade lucking to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Atherton
UKC Forum Member

The problem is not the bait. The problem is the coon are getting trap shy. Do you think if you got worked over when you went into a IHOP that you would keep going back?

When I was doing Animal Damage Control (ADC) work every now and then I would run into coons that were trap shy. The more you catch them the worse they get.

My best recommendation is find a new set location and forget that one. In the long run it will be much less head ache.

Aim small miss small

Old Post 07-07-2009 03:13 PM
Larry Atherton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Atherton Click here to Send Larry Atherton a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Atherton Visit Larry Atherton's homepage! Find more posts by Larry Atherton Add Larry Atherton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Virgil
UKC Forum Member

Something I started using this spring and have yet to go to an empty cage with is mixing peanut butter and dog food. I cut off a pop bottle and mix them together.

Old Post 07-07-2009 03:25 PM
Virgil is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Virgil Click here to Send Virgil a Private Message Click Here to Email Virgil Find more posts by Virgil Add Virgil to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
1walker_dog
New UKC Forum Member

peanut butter with dog food mixed in has been working great for me. I always catch a coon on the 2nd night using this.
I cut the bottom of a 2 liter pop bottle. Sprinkle some of the dog food around the cage and leading in the door.

Last edited by 1walker_dog on 07-07-2009 at 04:28 PM

Old Post 07-07-2009 03:26 PM
1walker_dog is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 1walker_dog Click here to Send 1walker_dog a Private Message Visit 1walker_dog's homepage! Find more posts by 1walker_dog Add 1walker_dog to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ray&Luie
UKC Forum Member

Bait

Some one told me once Plain or BQ Corn Chips from Fritto lay was the best they ever saw for Coons they eat every thing out side and inside the trap ............. thats what they said anyways

Ray Hudson

Old Post 07-07-2009 03:45 PM
Ray&Luie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ray&Luie Click here to Send Ray&Luie a Private Message Find more posts by Ray&Luie Add Ray&Luie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Robert Johnson
UKC Forum Member

think i will try that too..peanut butter mixed in dog food

Johnson Creek Kennels
home of:
UKC Grand Nite Champion "PR" Yadkin River Addkis. Deceased 12/11/2016 RIP

2009/2010/2011/2012 AKC GA. State Leader and Supreme Grand Nite Champion Yadkin River Addkis

2010 ACHA Georgia State Champion Grand Nite Champion Yadkin River Addkis

PKC Champion Yadkin River Addkis

Bright Eye Lights

Treeing Walkers

912-663-5287 cell (perfered)

Old Post 07-07-2009 03:47 PM
Robert Johnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Robert Johnson Click here to Send Robert Johnson a Private Message Click Here to Email Robert Johnson Find more posts by Robert Johnson Add Robert Johnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
K. Singletary
UKC Forum Member

I use a little bowl of molasses.

ChNtCh Allnite Gypsy Girl

Old Post 07-07-2009 04:26 PM
K. Singletary is offline Click Here to See the Profile for K. Singletary Click here to Send K. Singletary a Private Message Click Here to Email K. Singletary Find more posts by K. Singletary Add K. Singletary to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
coonernc
UKC Forum Member

i think

i think the molasses is the best,maybe saok a peice of bread in it and put it in little peices . it will work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Post 07-07-2009 05:58 PM
coonernc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for coonernc Click here to Send coonernc a Private Message Click Here to Email coonernc Find more posts by coonernc Add coonernc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
brianshts
UKC Forum Member

lol

we use shrimp it works 4 us

Old Post 07-07-2009 06:32 PM
brianshts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for brianshts Click here to Send brianshts a Private Message Click Here to Email brianshts Find more posts by brianshts Add brianshts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cliffside Chris
UKC Forum Member

TUNA FISH AND SMALL MARSH MELLOWS MAKE A TRAIL OF MARSH MELLOWS GOING INTO THE TRAP ABOUT 10-15 BEHIND THE TRUDDEL - MAKE A SCENT TRAIL WITH THE TUNA OIL 10' IN FRONT OF THE TRAP LEADING INTO THE TRAP IF YOU HAVE ENOUGH FISH OIL TO PUT INTO A SPRAY BOTTLE MAKE A -T- SHAPE TRAIL GOING IN. PUT MEAT BEHIND THE TRUDDEL I HAVE TRAPPED MY WHOLE LIFE IM 31YR TRAPPED FOR A LIVING 5YR. THIS IS THE BEST WAY I HAVE EVER SEEN ALTHOUGH COON WILL EAT MANY THINGS. P.S. STAKE YOUR TRAP DOWN IF NOT THEY'LL ROLL IT. HOPE THIS HELPS.

Black Water English & Black & Tan
-------------------------------------------
NITCH Black Water "PR"Ethel: (Briar Creek Zeb X Postells Hard Treeing Kate) RIP

''PR'' Dark Shadow Blue Dot (Rapper X Timber Queen)

Black Water "PR" Mabeline (Rasputin X Sugar)

Old Post 07-07-2009 06:44 PM
Cliffside Chris is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cliffside Chris Click here to Send Cliffside Chris a Private Message Click Here to Email Cliffside Chris Find more posts by Cliffside Chris Add Cliffside Chris to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dean mace
UKC Forum Member

bait

I TAKE A PILL BOTTLE MAKE HOLE IN BOTTOM FILL PACK MY FEEDER BUCKET CANDY INSIDE IT PUT A WIRE THOURGH IT HANG IN THE BACK OF CAGE,BETWEEN THE TIGER AND BACK WHEN HE STANDS UP TO GET IT,YOU WILL GET HIM EVERY TIME.HAVE HAD 2 IN ONE TRAP BEFORE.

Old Post 07-07-2009 07:47 PM
dean mace is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dean mace Click here to Send dean mace a Private Message Click Here to Email dean mace Find more posts by dean mace Add dean mace to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM

There is no "best bait" for coons. There are so many things that will work that it is almost limitless. I use large marshmellows just because they are very cheap and very simple to use. At one time I made the effort to conceal and camo my traps but not anymore, I set them along a creek, out in the open, in plain sight and catch one every night. I have also caught them with no bait at all. They just go in out of curiousity I guess.

Old Post 07-07-2009 08:23 PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tar12
UKC Forum Member

Jack Mackrel.It has a "loud" fish smell to it.It is guaranteed to catch coon...and lots of them.

Old Post 07-07-2009 08:59 PM
Tar12 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tar12 Click here to Send Tar12 a Private Message Click Here to Email Tar12 Find more posts by Tar12 Add Tar12 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cody_leohr
UKC Forum Member

honeybuns work well , and ive cuaght some on jelly, and also i have took some corn and some cool-aid and mixed them together and had good luck with that also

Pr' Leohr's Midnight Lighting

Pr'Leohr's Midnight Brandy

HUNT WALKERS!!!!!!!!!!

Old Post 07-07-2009 09:31 PM
cody_leohr is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cody_leohr Click here to Send cody_leohr a Private Message Click Here to Email cody_leohr Find more posts by cody_leohr Add cody_leohr to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jamie S
UKC Forum Member

we use golf balls... they must think it's an egg and they sure can't eat em.... saves on feeding em outta my cupboards and we set the traps by creeks and almost anywhere coon make themselves a pain ie... dairy barns, etc

Old Post 07-08-2009 03:24 AM
Jamie S is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jamie S Click here to Send Jamie S a Private Message Click Here to Email Jamie S Find more posts by Jamie S Add Jamie S to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
osagebl
UKC Forum Member

bait

big marshmellows and grape jelly

Old Post 07-08-2009 04:01 AM
osagebl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for osagebl Click here to Send osagebl a Private Message Click Here to Email osagebl Find more posts by osagebl Add osagebl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MS. Kennels
UKC Forum Member

sardines........will always work.....coons just cant turn em down.....

Old Post 07-08-2009 04:11 AM
MS. Kennels is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MS. Kennels Click here to Send MS. Kennels a Private Message Click Here to Email MS. Kennels Find more posts by MS. Kennels Add MS. Kennels to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BIG RAFT
Banned

What Works For Me

Is rice crispy treat I take a big bottle of Vanila Xtract (you can get it at a dollar store for $1 Big Bottle) I poke holes into the top of the bottle and let it drip all the way into where I am going to set my tap once I set my trap I pour some on top of the rice crispy treat and I drip some in front of the trap . Here is also a little tip alway cover your trap with brush , limbs and leaves camo the trap coons are smart and when you camo the trap they think they are going into a hole to eat, This has worked for me everytime.

Lot Lizzard II "AkA" Lil Lizzy
(Judge Dredd x Lot Lizard)
Dredd Again "AkA" King
(Judge Dredd x Mnt Time Lucky)

Big River Hound Supply
Garmin Astro Dc30 Combo Special
$500
Free Shipping!!!
See Special On Garmin's Post

Old Post 07-08-2009 04:57 AM
BIG RAFT is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BIG RAFT Click here to Send BIG RAFT a Private Message Find more posts by BIG RAFT Add BIG RAFT to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
walkercash
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Larry Atherton
The problem is not the bait. The problem is the coon are getting trap shy. Do you think if you got worked over when you went into a IHOP that you would keep going back?

When I was doing Animal Damage Control (ADC) work every now and then I would run into coons that were trap shy. The more you catch them the worse they get.

My best recommendation is find a new set location and forget that one. In the long run it will be much less head ache.

I concur!

We use a lot of "proffesional" berry smelling baits, is that what you used Larry?

Honey Buns, tuna fish, peanut butter, McDonalds Chicken Nuggets, they all work. Some lead to more critters that your not after though.

Whitey Dogs ROCK!!!
I use and recommend Kelley's K-Lights.

Old Post 07-08-2009 05:12 AM
walkercash is offline Click Here to See the Profile for walkercash Click here to Send walkercash a Private Message Click Here to Email walkercash Find more posts by walkercash Add walkercash to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Two toes

Strawberry jelly sandwich & you won't catch grinner's or skunk's. All I've caught using that is coon.

Good luck!!

Old Post 07-08-2009 12:38 PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote