UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > For the record
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
georgef072007
Banned

For the record

I think everyone has figured out by now that I am not a fan of the new "format / policy changes" that are coming about after the first of the year. Now, I know that the powers that be are not going to pull their heads out of that warm dark spot and rescind this idiotic format before it starts so just be forewarned at the club levels that you are going to see even fewer and fewer hunters showing up at your events as the new year progresses. Also, for those of you that have a stud dog you can forget the titles meaning anything since there will be an overabundance of titled dogs in a big hurry when this kicks in. I truly hope I am wrong on this, but, I really think that this will be a really big nail in the UKC coonhound programs coffin.

'PR' OUTBACK TRASHY LULU

CH GRNTCH 'PR' WRECK IT RALPH (Dead Cat X Outback Trashy LuLu) 2017 UKC World Finalist. 2018 UKC World Hunt Qualified.

CH GRNTCH 'PR' CATS TRASHY TOMCAT (Dead Cat X Outback Trashy LuLu) 2016 , 2017 & 2018 UKC World hunt qualified

'PR' Blue Eyed Pete (Watsons Jackal X Hello Kitty)

'PR' Wipeout Harley (Joinertown Wipeout Zeb 3 X Dark Mtn Crankin Holly)

past home of

GRNTCH 'PR' DEAD CAT

NTCH WCH 'PR' DEAD CATS ECHO

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-11-2018 01:55 AM
georgef072007 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for georgef072007 Click here to Send georgef072007 a Private Message Find more posts by georgef072007 Add georgef072007 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

George

The hunt numbers are down and have been for some time now. Saying that, it will be harder to champion a dog under the new format, I. E. 5 cast wins vs the 100 point needed currently. You rarely see 3 casts of registered dogs at the local club hunts and a dog winning it's cast is assured iof a 1st, 2nd or 3rd place finish. It's fairly easy to finish a reg dog to night champion in 3 hunts now, the new format will require 5 cast wins with plus POINTS to nite champion. Night champion to grand maybe easier with the new system, but not much. Overall, the new system will equate to a fairer system, as it eliminates the honeyhole advantage. Let's give this system a chance to work out, before all the gloom and doom talk. P.S. I have a dog with a first place win that I may finish under the new system, rather than get the win under the old system. Why, because it's too easy under the old system, especially after getting a first place win. IMO. dave

Old Post 10-11-2018 02:20 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shane_atchison
UKC Forum Member

I'm for the policy/format changes. Hunt attendance was already in major decline, so even if the changes dont work at least they tried. It will be a lil harder to make night champ & a lil easier to make Grand, but surely no one in todays times is trying to promote a stud on just UKC titles..

Old Post 10-11-2018 03:17 AM
shane_atchison is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shane_atchison Click here to Send shane_atchison a Private Message Click Here to Email shane_atchison Find more posts by shane_atchison Add shane_atchison to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
swamp1
Banned

A poodle

Can make night champion right now. I like the changes coming.

Old Post 10-11-2018 04:19 AM
swamp1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for swamp1 Click here to Send swamp1 a Private Message Find more posts by swamp1 Add swamp1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
daniel urffer
UKC Forum Member

The changes that are coming ain't gonna change squat, a poodle could finish out now and a poodle will still finish then. These changes AIN'T GONNA CHANGE JACK, JACK!

Old Post 10-11-2018 05:06 AM
daniel urffer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for daniel urffer Click here to Send daniel urffer a Private Message Click Here to Email daniel urffer Find more posts by daniel urffer Add daniel urffer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Daniel

Put me on your list for one of those nite champion poodles, dog feed is getting high and I could save some money. Lol. Dave

Old Post 10-11-2018 05:28 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J Cooper
UKC Forum Member

Look forward to the changes myself. Well see how they pan out but I see nothing but positive coming from them. But that's just my opinion. And we all know about those.

2021 UKC National Grand Nite Ch
' Indiana Outlaw'
Co owned with Alan Holding

PKC Ch Nite Ch PR Backwoods Okie

Old Post 10-11-2018 05:54 AM
J Cooper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J Cooper Click here to Send J Cooper a Private Message Click Here to Email J Cooper Find more posts by J Cooper Add J Cooper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chuck Allen
UKC Forum Member

Changes are fine by me I will still only make about 9-10 hunts a year max , no matter what. A lot of folks pleasure hunt. It is finally REALLY cooling off super nice night took Judge and Sandy , trailed one cold track about 3/4 of a mile and treed him on the outside that rascal was in a big fork about 20 feet up in a giant Red Oak asleep. He was no even perturbed by all the racket. LOL

When the law of the land becomes unjust outlaws will rise to take their place in history.

Old Post 10-11-2018 07:16 AM
Chuck Allen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chuck Allen Click here to Send Chuck Allen a Private Message Find more posts by Chuck Allen Add Chuck Allen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
georgef072007
Banned

Dave

I agree that the numbers have been down for some time and it has been too easy to title a dog but this isn't going to fix anything, it will only make matters worse. Very few people will keep hunting the GRNT's, so those numbers won't go up. These titles should be harder to get, the cast win equals a win system is like giving participation awards, everyone gets a trophy now. What I would have done would cost UKC some money in the hunt license department but ultimately made more money for the clubs and put more prestige on the titles. As far as the honeyhole advantage goes, there will always be people that take care of their coon population and bring in good scores I have always been one of them. Under this new system I will be going to extra efforts to wipe out the coons
in my hunting spots and start hunting dogs that will blow out deep and get one tree'd before the hunt time runs out. Since I won't need a big score to get a win , I sure as crap won't give your dog a chance to tree easy coons and beat me if I'm guiding.

'PR' OUTBACK TRASHY LULU

CH GRNTCH 'PR' WRECK IT RALPH (Dead Cat X Outback Trashy LuLu) 2017 UKC World Finalist. 2018 UKC World Hunt Qualified.

CH GRNTCH 'PR' CATS TRASHY TOMCAT (Dead Cat X Outback Trashy LuLu) 2016 , 2017 & 2018 UKC World hunt qualified

past home of

GRNTCH 'PR' DEAD CAT

Old Post 10-11-2018 12:33 PM
georgef072007 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for georgef072007 Click here to Send georgef072007 a Private Message Find more posts by georgef072007 Add georgef072007 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
georgef072007
Banned

Here is what I would have done to change the system.

1. All clubs go back to 5 (2 hour) hunts a year.

2. Leave the requirements to make NTCH and GRNT alone.

3. If a club doesn't have at least 2 casts of dogs in any division the points can still count but no credit given for a win or first place. Treat it just like a Just like a bench show win with no competition.

4. If a club consistently has very low numbers, stop allowing them to have UKC hunts . All of these 2, 3 or 4 dog hunts that we see now are what is killing the program.

5. UKC needs to look closely at the clubs in close proximity to each other to see how many "clubs" are operating out of the same building. I know of 2 that not only share the same building but point of contact as well. hmmmm ?

I don't like the freebie wins, that only hurts the way people look at the winners. Having too many hunts to choose from hurts the clubs more than it helps them. I used to drive 60 or 70 miles to a hunt and hunt against 20 or 30 dogs because there weren't any other hunts to go to. Now I can sit back and wait, drive 20 or 30 miles at the most and hunt against 2 or 3 dogs. Adding more hunts and letting the clubs get out of control is what pushed the numbers down in the first place, and now they can self destruct even faster with double headers.

'PR' OUTBACK TRASHY LULU

past home of

GRNTCH 'PR' DEAD CAT

Old Post 10-11-2018 01:00 PM
79cooner
UKC Forum Member

New rules

At the last club meeting , all members were all for these new rules. I mean all of us! Good job u.k.c.

Old Post 10-11-2018 01:03 PM
79cooner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 79cooner Click here to Send 79cooner a Private Message Find more posts by 79cooner Add 79cooner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Blaze2014
Banned

Your not gonna have bigger numbers when there are less hunters. These rules didn't make past hunters or anyone else say, well ****, let's go back to hunting.

Old Post 10-11-2018 01:10 PM
Blaze2014 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Blaze2014 Click here to Send Blaze2014 a Private Message Find more posts by Blaze2014 Add Blaze2014 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I don't know how old any of you guys are but they are trying to appeal to younger hunters. They didn't go through the breed associations to do this so in 6 months it ain't working they can tweek it or change it. I know they got a plan b if it don't and rules changes are in a year. It's not my game no more you got to get the young folks interested.

Give it a chance.

Tar

Old Post 10-11-2018 01:32 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JesseJ
UKC Forum Member

Sounds like Tar is gonna start a club back up? Just give it a chance! JesseJ

Old Post 10-11-2018 02:00 PM
JesseJ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JesseJ Click here to Send JesseJ a Private Message Click Here to Email JesseJ Find more posts by JesseJ Add JesseJ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
harleydan1956
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by georgef072007
Here is what I would have done to change the system.

1. All clubs go back to 5 (2 hour) hunts a year.

2. Leave the requirements to make NTCH and GRNT alone.

3. If a club doesn't have at least 2 casts of dogs in any division the points can still count but no credit given for a win or first place. Treat it just like a Just like a bench show win with no competition.

4. If a club consistently has very low numbers, stop allowing them to have UKC hunts . All of these 2, 3 or 4 dog hunts that we see now are what is killing the program.

5. UKC needs to look closely at the clubs in close proximity to each other to see how many "clubs" are operating out of the same building. I know of 2 that not only share the same building but point of contact as well. hmmmm ?

I don't like the freebie wins, that only hurts the way people look at the winners. Having too many hunts to choose from hurts the clubs more than it helps them. I used to drive 60 or 70 miles to a hunt and hunt against 20 or 30 dogs because there weren't any other hunts to go to. Now I can sit back and wait, drive 20 or 30 miles at the most and hunt against 2 or 3 dogs. Adding more hunts and letting the clubs get out of control is what pushed the numbers down in the first place, and now they can self destruct even faster with double headers.

IMO.
#1.I like the 2 hour hunts. More of a chance to come from behind. And more of a chance to minus out. A better test, maybe? Unless you are having double headers, but yeah, 5 dates a year.
#2.. the new rules will make it harder on reg to make nite Ch. Even with 3 first place wins, (1-2 casts per hunt), you still need 2 more cast wins. Nites and Gr nites compete... Now you gotta win your cast against dogs that have already made it. Don't think Grands will show up? Now they also are competing for performance points. But you are only completing against the dogs in your cast. No more worries about the best guide.
#3. How many hunters would wait to enter till they see if there is enough dogs to get credit? Then the club loses those entries and more numbers fall.
#4. All numbers are down. Why penalize a club who may not be in the best areas? Really want to kill it? Make hunters drive 80-100 miles to compete.
#5. Yeah... Unless a disaster has hit a club, (fire, flood, etc) no dual occupied clubhouses
Just my opinion,but I am happy to see the results of the new format. Never will 100% of the people are going to be happy. Let's give it a shot.

Canton, ohio
330-904-3392

Home of:
Gr Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Moonlight Serenade... Gr. Ch. Nite Ch PR Hillbillys Smokey River Dutch HTX X Gr. Ch. Nite CH. PR Lethal Blue Izabell Sitara
Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Lil Bit of Respect.... Ch. Nite Ch PR Shivers' Magic Lead X GR. Ch. Nite Ch PR Lethal Blue Betty Jane
PR. Lethal Blue Tayen Grace..... Nite Ch. Pr Coffins creek running J.R. X Gr Ch Nite Ch PR Lethal Blue Moonlite Serenade.

Gone but never forgotten
Gr. Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Izabell Sitara... Dual Gr. Ch PR Bowens Blue Deuce X Ch. Nite Ch. PR Becky.

Gr Ch Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Betty Jane...... PR. Crites Soggy Bottom Blue Banjo X PR. Mosquito Creek Tree mamma Sis

Gr Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Rattlin Samantha ... Dual Gr Ch PR Mid Ohio Rattlin Sam X Gr Ch PR. Lethal Blue Jet's Xena

Gr. Ch. Nite Ch Hillbilly's Smokey River Blue Dutch HTX..... Gr. Ch. Gr. Nite Ch Pr. Smokey River Tramp's Blue Lake and Pr. Misty River Blue Doll III.
(Dutch wasn't ours, but he was here and like one of the family)

Pr. Dan's little Porter.... my last beagle...

Last edited by harleydan1956 on 10-11-2018 at 03:41 PM

Old Post 10-11-2018 02:07 PM
harleydan1956 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for harleydan1956 Click here to Send harleydan1956 a Private Message Click Here to Email harleydan1956 Find more posts by harleydan1956 Add harleydan1956 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I would if I could find about 10 kids foaming at the mouth about coonhunting like me and you was.

Oh buy the way thanks for the water you sent me lake is going to crest at 6.33 tommorrow can't take you hunting it's flooded but if you come over we will catch a catfish I am hooking up the boat now !!

Tar

Old Post 10-11-2018 02:08 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tjll
UKC Forum Member

hunts

The local coonhunting clubs numbers are gone forever and that not going to change the new format looks fine to me but all registries' are struggling most coon clubs are running on fumes because entries won't pay the bills 14 years ago I hunted at 2 clubs in 2 different registry's they had 3 to 8 dogs hunting in them the still hunt about the same number today there are very few coon clubs left anymore the only growth is at national events Coonhunting has about 8 to 12 good years left all you have to do is look at the numbers and age of most hunters enjoy what you have because when the fat lady starts really singing down the road 10 yrs from now none of this will matter

tjll is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tjll Click here to Send tjll a Private Message Click Here to Email tjll Find more posts by tjll Add tjll to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nitehunter2004
UKC Forum Member

If I understand it right there will be a lot of new NtCh come January 1st, everyone says with the low numbers and only 1 or 2 cast a NtCh comes easy but not so much for some dogs, 5 cast wins and no 1st place but wake up January 1st 2019 and go look in your Kennels, he is now a NtCh.

nitehunter2004 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nitehunter2004 Click here to Send nitehunter2004 a Private Message Find more posts by nitehunter2004 Add nitehunter2004 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

George
Try not to get upset with what I say but maybe think about what I'm saying.
It sounds like your just ungreatfull for what you have. Spoiled if ya will. Be glad you don't have to drive far to find a club house close instead of complaining about it. Be glad you have a good coon population instead of complaining it would make it to easy for a subpar dog to tree a coon. Don't worry about old so n so's dog that got an easy title because it may have been a big accomplishment for them and that's ok. Your dogs can enter hunts that only have hunt numbers you would approve of. Well I probably said more than I should have and you can be mad at me or think about it which ever you want.

Old Post 10-11-2018 02:34 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
georgef072007
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by pamjohnson
George
Try not to get upset with what I say but maybe think about what I'm saying.
It sounds like your just ungreatfull for what you have. Spoiled if ya will. Be glad you don't have to drive far to find a club house close instead of complaining about it. Be glad you have a good coon population instead of complaining it would make it to easy for a subpar dog to tree a coon. Don't worry about old so n so's dog that got an easy title because it may have been a big accomplishment for them and that's ok. Your dogs can enter hunts that only have hunt numbers you would approve of. Well I probably said more than I should have and you can be mad at me or think about it which ever you want.

Well, if it makes you feel better or even care, I'm certainly not mad at you. That being said, you are right, I am certainly ungrateful for what I have, no doubt about it. I am even more ungrateful for what the powers that be are going to give us. What we had to start with was a bucket of fertilizer to grow the program on, beneficial to all, environmentally friendly and produced a good product. What we have now is a truckload of manure, it still grows the product but is lacking in a lot of key nutrients for the best production. What we are about to get is a semi load of hog manure, it won't grow the products that we need and it will take years and years to get the smell out of the soil. As far as getting the younger generation out in the woods, I'm pretty sure you can forget seeing more than a very few of them coon hunting unless they can title a dog on twitter, Skype or whatever they are staring at on the phones today.

'PR' OUTBACK TRASHY LULU

past home of

GRNTCH 'PR' DEAD CAT

Old Post 10-11-2018 02:57 PM
Blaze2014
Banned

I wouldn't talk about kids today being on this or that when you old farts are online blowing all the time. If you knew as much as you thought,maybe things would've changed a long time ago. It's easy to sit and look back.

Old Post 10-11-2018 03:18 PM
Blaze2014 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Blaze2014 Click here to Send Blaze2014 a Private Message Find more posts by Blaze2014 Add Blaze2014 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Toad Hill
UKC Forum Member

Greed & Selfishness .

Numbers are falling cause the cycle has been broken!!! Ive been seeing it with my own eyes.
15-20 yrs ago we had about 5-7 youth active in our club that WANTED to hunt. We couldnt gather up enough youth now to make 1 cast.
Today Cell phones and Video games have captured the minds of our youth.
The adults are letting it happen because THEY THEMSELVES can now go off leave that kid at home in front of a TV ( neighbor kid or your own ) and pacify their own desire to win and achieve what they want for SELF. YOU may win now, but in the end our SPORT dies.

If there was ever a time we need to involve our youth its TODAY. Some are great about it but most dont care.
Taking and teaching one is ALOT of work . Just like starting a young pup. You was a youth once . Who took you ? Now be that guy.

Old Post 10-11-2018 03:23 PM
Toad Hill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Toad Hill Click here to Send Toad Hill a Private Message Find more posts by Toad Hill Add Toad Hill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shane_atchison
UKC Forum Member

Ive talked to several hunters around here that are looking forward to the changes and some $ guys who are gonna check them out also. I wish all dogs hunted together, but overall Im glad they made changes. Hopefully rule changes are next..

Old Post 10-11-2018 03:23 PM
shane_atchison is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shane_atchison Click here to Send shane_atchison a Private Message Click Here to Email shane_atchison Find more posts by shane_atchison Add shane_atchison to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

George the only problem I see is like right here where I live because of all the clubs that have shut down ( they let go to far before they made changes ) it's 2 1/2 hours to a club in any direction. People are going to look at it like now I got to get 5 wins instead of 3 probly cost you $600 to make a ntch. Up north where there are high density clubs it will thrive because more hunts shorter distances. 16 hours to a major hunt is not interesting to me anymore so I just decided to hunt my dogs if I feel like it I will go to a hunt. I got an 8 month old pup that's going to be the one haven't had one like him in years maybe in 2 yrs when I get ready to hunt him this will all be straitened out. They need to make it where the moh or hunt director can hunt I don't want to set while everybody else gets to hunt no more.

Tar

Old Post 10-11-2018 03:27 PM
georgef072007
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Blaze2014
I wouldn't talk about kids today being on this or that when you old farts are online blowing all the time. If you knew as much as you thought,maybe things would've changed a long time ago. It's easy to sit and look back.

Well now youngster, maybe you have a point on that. I'm not sure what it is, but I'm sure you have one at least. I do know a few kids that hunt, but they are very few and far between and they are getting fewer as time goes on. My point on that is that the younger generation will not be the ones to save this program, so there is no point in hoping they will. As far as knowing as much as I think the old hunters know, you are right again. When we were younger, we thought that more and more hunts were the answer. If we can have 7 a year and start a few more clubs closer together we can go to a lot more hunts, title our dogs faster and save money doing it. Oh man were we going to make our dogs look great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Looking back on that it is easy to see now that we were the idiots that shot the program in the feet and left it crippled and starving. So, is it easy to sit and look back, not really. especially when you realize that you were a big part of creating the problem.

'PR' OUTBACK TRASHY LULU

past home of

GRNTCH 'PR' DEAD CAT

Old Post 10-11-2018 03:32 PM