UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > 7 week old pup issues
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Joe Moore
UKC Forum Member

7 week old pup issues

On Friday I picked up a 7 1/2 week old pup. When I first picked her up her stool was firm and was for that night. Since then it has turned to a very runny liquid with occasional firmness. I am feeding Purina puppy chow to her. She is pretty small (but healthy and full of energy) so my worry is that she will get too dehydrated. Anyone have any tips on what to try and do before I take her to the vet? Anything to mix in with her food or try.

Thanks

-2004 PKC Youth World Hunt, 3rd place
-2005 UKC PA State Overall Show Champion
-2007 UKC Youh National Hunt, 3rd place

-PKC Silver Ch, GRNTCH 'pr' Tree Stalkins Stylish Striker

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-15-2018 05:59 PM
Joe Moore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Joe Moore Click here to Send Joe Moore a Private Message Click Here to Email Joe Moore Visit Joe Moore's homepage! Find more posts by Joe Moore Add Joe Moore to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Braddo28
UKC Forum Member

Im not knowledgebale about this stuff but when i got my pup at 6 weeks he was the same way and i wormed him soon after getting him and that pretry much fixed it, i never thought it was much reason for concern its probably nothing major

Old Post 10-15-2018 06:13 PM
Braddo28 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Braddo28 Click here to Send Braddo28 a Private Message Click Here to Email Braddo28 Find more posts by Braddo28 Add Braddo28 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
harleydan1956
UKC Forum Member

Could also be a complete change of food. If you changed dog foods,that might be it. Try a little pediasure for dehydration... I wouldn't worm if puppy is weak.

Canton, ohio
330-904-3392

Home of:
Gr Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Moonlight Serenade... Gr. Ch. Nite Ch PR Hillbillys Smokey River Dutch HTX X Gr. Ch. Nite CH. PR Lethal Blue Izabell Sitara
Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Lil Bit of Respect.... Ch. Nite Ch PR Shivers' Magic Lead X GR. Ch. Nite Ch PR Lethal Blue Betty Jane
PR. Lethal Blue Tayen Grace..... Nite Ch. Pr Coffins creek running J.R. X Gr Ch Nite Ch PR Lethal Blue Moonlite Serenade.

Gone but never forgotten
Gr. Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Izabell Sitara... Dual Gr. Ch PR Bowens Blue Deuce X Ch. Nite Ch. PR Becky.

Gr Ch Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Betty Jane...... PR. Crites Soggy Bottom Blue Banjo X PR. Mosquito Creek Tree mamma Sis

Gr Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Rattlin Samantha ... Dual Gr Ch PR Mid Ohio Rattlin Sam X Gr Ch PR. Lethal Blue Jet's Xena

Gr. Ch. Nite Ch Hillbilly's Smokey River Blue Dutch HTX..... Gr. Ch. Gr. Nite Ch Pr. Smokey River Tramp's Blue Lake and Pr. Misty River Blue Doll III.
(Dutch wasn't ours, but he was here and like one of the family)

Pr. Dan's little Porter.... my last beagle...

Old Post 10-15-2018 08:48 PM
harleydan1956 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for harleydan1956 Click here to Send harleydan1956 a Private Message Click Here to Email harleydan1956 Find more posts by harleydan1956 Add harleydan1956 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Joe Moore
UKC Forum Member

Same food, she’s up to date on all wormings and shot for her age.

Old Post 10-15-2018 10:01 PM
Joe Moore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Joe Moore Click here to Send Joe Moore a Private Message Click Here to Email Joe Moore Visit Joe Moore's homepage! Find more posts by Joe Moore Add Joe Moore to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Duane Kehres
UKC Forum Member

Could be stress from making the transition to a new home and environment?

Old Post 10-15-2018 11:01 PM
Duane Kehres is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Duane Kehres Click here to Send Duane Kehres a Private Message Click Here to Email Duane Kehres Find more posts by Duane Kehres Add Duane Kehres to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
harleydan1956
UKC Forum Member

Ok, as a small time breeder... I honestly follow 1 major rule. No matter how consistent you are with wormings, you cannot get them all when an entire litter is in the same enclosure. I use Nenex II. I always give a dose when they leave. But it doesn't get hooks. Take a sample to the vet. If not emacipated, a shot will help. If it is hooks, the longer you wait, the more danger the pup is in.

Canton, ohio
330-904-3392

Home of:
Gr Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Moonlight Serenade... Gr. Ch. Nite Ch PR Hillbillys Smokey River Dutch HTX X Gr. Ch. Nite CH. PR Lethal Blue Izabell Sitara
Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Lil Bit of Respect.... Ch. Nite Ch PR Shivers' Magic Lead X GR. Ch. Nite Ch PR Lethal Blue Betty Jane
PR. Lethal Blue Tayen Grace..... Nite Ch. Pr Coffins creek running J.R. X Gr Ch Nite Ch PR Lethal Blue Moonlite Serenade.

Gone but never forgotten
Gr. Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Izabell Sitara... Dual Gr. Ch PR Bowens Blue Deuce X Ch. Nite Ch. PR Becky.

Gr Ch Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Betty Jane...... PR. Crites Soggy Bottom Blue Banjo X PR. Mosquito Creek Tree mamma Sis

Gr Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Rattlin Samantha ... Dual Gr Ch PR Mid Ohio Rattlin Sam X Gr Ch PR. Lethal Blue Jet's Xena

Gr. Ch. Nite Ch Hillbilly's Smokey River Blue Dutch HTX..... Gr. Ch. Gr. Nite Ch Pr. Smokey River Tramp's Blue Lake and Pr. Misty River Blue Doll III.

Old Post 10-15-2018 11:46 PM
harleydan1956 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for harleydan1956 Click here to Send harleydan1956 a Private Message Click Here to Email harleydan1956 Find more posts by harleydan1956 Add harleydan1956 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Joe Moore
UKC Forum Member

Thanks for the info! I’m gonna take her to the vet tomorrow after i get off work.

Old Post 10-16-2018 12:24 AM
Pat Bizich
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by harleydan1956
I use Nenex II. I always give a dose when they leave. But it doesn't get hooks.

Really?? Better check again.

https://www.revivalanimal.com/product/nemex?SKU=31431

Nemex® removes large roundworms and hookworms in dogs and puppies
Prevents worms from returning
Active ingredient is Pyrantel Pamoate
Nemex®-2 Suspension has a palatable caramel flavor

Joe..a lot of pups go through a stress period when changing homes.As long as the stool is not getting blood or mucus in it . The appetite is good and no vomiting .Good chance all it is stress.

Gone but never forgotten:
NtChGrCh Dryfork Punkin
NtChGrCh Dryfork Little Blue Baby Doll
2009 Pa Show Dog Of The Year
GrCh Dryfork Little Black Book
Gr.Ch. Make My Day Sunny
Gone too soon RIP my baby girl
Gr.Ch. Black Dog Black Cherry
GrCh Dryfork Black Dog Raine
One of kind and would make a believer out of you when you thought there were no coon left
Home of:
2009,2013,2018 Pa. State
Show Handler Of The Year
CH. Power Pack Pepper
2018 Pa. Show Dog Of Year
Gr.Ch. Batman's Poison Ivy
2011&2013 WTDA Pa State Champion
2011&2013 Overall Hunt For The Cure
Ch. Jay's Greenridge Heidi
In memory of my best friend "Jay"

Last edited by Pat Bizich on 10-16-2018 at 04:19 AM

Old Post 10-16-2018 04:07 AM
Pat Bizich is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Pat Bizich Click here to Send Pat Bizich a Private Message Find more posts by Pat Bizich Add Pat Bizich to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Nemex gets the hooks and roundworms...once you worm the pup follow up with another worming 7-10 days later...
If anyone is feeding treats to the pup that could be the problem as to why the pup has runny stools...

Old Post 10-17-2018 01:09 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ov_blues
UKC Forum Member

I used to just work once with Panicur every week. Once I switched to three days in a row and then two weeks later do it again for three more days I had healthier pups. Sounds like your pup needs more wormings to me. I don’t think a person can give enough wormer to a pup at seven weeks old to completely deworm the pup if they don’t follow up again.

Old Post 10-17-2018 03:40 AM
ov_blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ov_blues Click here to Send ov_blues a Private Message Click Here to Email ov_blues Find more posts by ov_blues Add ov_blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
harleydan1956
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by harleydan1956
Ok, as a small time breeder... I honestly follow 1 major rule. No matter how consistent you are with wormings, you cannot get them all when an entire litter is in the same enclosure. I use Nenex II. I always give a dose when they leave. But it doesn't get hooks. Take a sample to the vet. If not emacipated, a shot will help. If it is hooks, the longer you wait, the more danger the pup is in.

My apologies, it doesn't get whips... I was getting ready to go run dogs, misquoted. Sorry. Still stand by the rest if the statement.

Canton, ohio
330-904-3392

Home of:

Gone but never forgotten

Old Post 10-17-2018 01:36 PM
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

When you get into a situation like this. A quick evaluation on your part and an action plan need to put in place. Could very well be just a dog food change or change of conditions. Could be something worse that has been doormat at your place for a long time just waiting for that pup to show up.

From the symptoms you described if they didn't worsen. Here are the assumptions I would make. Dog food change and possible worms. Worms especially hook which can take the life of a puppy quickly can be diagnosed by looking at the gums of the puppy. It they have color and look normal. Then again probably the food. It they are pale that means the puppy is anemic and the hook worms are sucking the life out of the puppy.

I copied someone from the internet and here is how I worm my puppies. I change from one wormer to the other when the pups get 6 weeks and above just to make sure one or the other wormer does its job and gets the worms.
Safeguard (Fenbendazole) 10% Suspension

PURPOSE: GOATS, DOGS, PUPPIES, PREGNANT/ LACTATING FEMALES
TREATS: ROUNDWORMS, HOOKWORMS, WHIP & TAPEWORMS, GIARDIA
AGENT: PANACUR, SAFE-GUARD 10% – 100 mg PER ML
ADMINISTER: ORAL DOSE ONLY

Fenbendazole Suspension (common name Panacur®, Safe Guard®) Fenbendazole is a broad spectrum benzimidazole anthelmintic used against gastrointestinal parasites including: giardia, roundworms, hookworms, whipworms, the taenia species of tapeworms, pinworms, It comes in a palatable white suspension. Available in 125 ml, and 1000 ml sizes. Safe-Guard can be purchased without a prescription.

SAFETY: Fenbendazole is very safe. Doses up to 100 times the recommended dose of 20 mg per pound are tolerated without serious side effects. It is also safe for use with pregnant and lactating dogs as well. An accidental overdose may cause minor vomiting and diarrhea. It is also possible that dogs might experience hypersensitivity reactions to dying parasites. If facial swelling, hives, scratching, vomiting, shock, seizures, pale gums, cold limbs or lethargy ensue, your dog may be experiencing an allergic reaction. In cases of accidental overdose or allergic reactions you should contact a veterinarian immediately.

ORAL DOSAGE SYRINGE SIZES NEEDED:

For an accurate dosage use a 1 mL/cc syringe for Puppies UNDER 5 LBS and a 3 mL/cc or 5 ml/cc syringe for medium size Adults (remove needle if necessary). For Dogs over 45 lbs use a 10 or 20 mL oral dosage syringe.

1 ml. EQUALS 1 cc.

DEWORMING PROTOCOL

I personally use Pyrantel Pamoate (Pyrantel Dosage Chart) starting at 2 wks old and again at 4 weeks until puppies are 6 weeks old at which point I switch them to the Safe-guard dewormer (Fenbendazole). I dose them again at 8 weeks old but I swap back and forth on the type of wormer.

Dewormer should be administered every 2 weeks until they’re 12 weeks old and then as a prevenitive every 6 months.

Safe-guard wormer is not recommended for puppies under 6 weeks old BUT Pyrantel Pamoate can and should BE STARTED at 2 WKS old. The safe guard is given three days in a row also for each puppy.

I am not a Vet so please discuss your worming protocol with your vet as well.

Old Post 10-17-2018 02:02 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cleo
UKC Forum Member

Take a sample to the vet!

Giardia and coccidia are VERY common during stressful times, like leaving their homes and moving to a new environment.
Vets should not charge much. It is the best was to sold the problem instead of jeopardizing the intestinal track guessing at what it Might be!

~A man is only as good as his word~

Proud home to;

'PR' Kentucky River Fly Again (Kentucky River Rowdy frozen semen)
ACHA CHT x3 Broken Roads Little Texas (Kentucky River Rowdy x Houses Lipper's Hope)
CH Broken Roads Southern Stylish Boom (Kentucky River Rowdy x Houses Lipper's Hope)
Broken Road's Rowdy Lil Miss (Kentucky River Rowdy x Houses Lipper's Hope)
Broken Road's Meabie I will (Lipper's Rooster x Missy)
Broken Roads IMA Boomer2 (UKC NATL GRCH GRNTCH Honest Abe x Broken Roads Southern Stylish Boom
~~~~~Watch out!~~~~~
They just might make an IMPACT!

and the girls...Punkin and Tater!

Gone by never forgotten ~ Fly high my beautiful angels
~ GRCH GNTCH PKC SC Toucan Sam
~CH Toucan's Ugly Betty
~ CCH CH Southforks September Rain
~ Martin's Daisy JJ (what a beautiful litter you left behind)
~ Luke, the lab who brought us so many doves and ducks over the years
~ UKC GRCH,ACHA CH 2014 LWCH 2014 2 x's ACHA YOUTH WCH AKC CH AKC CH 'PR' Kentucky River Mundar ~ (Kentucky River Rowdy frozen semen) DNA Profiled ~ Fly high, old friend.

"The WILL of God will never take you where the GRACE of God can not protect you!"

Old Post 10-17-2018 04:19 PM
Cleo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cleo Click here to Send Cleo a Private Message Find more posts by Cleo Add Cleo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
B&Ttreed2017
Banned

Goat Wormer..

Is 20 mg / cc per LB ,3 days in a row ,the same for 4 month old pups and adult hounds?
I had better get the 1000mg jug or is Ivermectrin better?

Quality verses Quanity
Risk verses Reward

Qualified for UKC World 2017
Won his first 4 Shows in a row
Made Champion at 11 months
Qualified for the Illinois Govenors Cup 2017
Owned & Handled by 10 yr old Lil Darik
Titus has been found!!! 4 hours north of us. Dariks Happy Again!
God Is Great!!

Bradleys Tenacious Super Star
Leons Darkside x Blue Label Lilly
2 Wins towards UKC Show Champion
Owned & Handled by 9 yr old Bradley__________________________
618-320-0880 Cell
~Rest In Peace Ole Boy~
Biehls Tenacious Jet
Hobo Hoss x Kansas Jewell

Old Post 10-18-2018 04:17 AM
B&Ttreed2017 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for B&Ttreed2017 Click here to Send B&Ttreed2017 a Private Message Click Here to Email B&Ttreed2017 Find more posts by B&Ttreed2017 Add B&Ttreed2017 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MARSHALL AYERS
UKC Forum Member

Stop with the wormer for a min.

Sounds more like coccidiosis. This can be brought on by stress from leaving mother and siblings. A product called albon will take care of it. Most pet stores carry it. To be 100% sure a vet can check in a few min with a stool sample.

DUAL GRAND GRNITECH'GRCH'PR'NITRO'S BIGTIME GOMER
http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x374/bigtimekennels/th_null_zpsaf6e7c86.png

Old Post 10-18-2018 05:11 AM
MARSHALL AYERS is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MARSHALL AYERS Click here to Send MARSHALL AYERS a Private Message Click Here to Email MARSHALL AYERS Find more posts by MARSHALL AYERS Add MARSHALL AYERS to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

Re: Goat Wormer..

[QUOTE]Originally posted by B&Ttreed2017
[B]Is 20 mg / cc per LB ,3 days in a row ,the same for 4 month old pups and adult hounds?
I had better get the 1000mg jug or is Ivermectrin better?

Quality verses Quanity
Risk verses Reward

Better check your dosage. 1cc per 5lbs.

Old Post 10-18-2018 12:34 PM
yadkinriver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

B & T, you need to clean out/delete some stuff in your PM box. It is full so you cannot receive messages.

Old Post 10-18-2018 02:07 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
B&Ttreed2017
Banned

Dosage

I was referrin to what I read in above post. It may be a misprint, thats why I was askin. Better to be safe than mess up a pup.

SAFETY: Fenbendazole is very safe. Doses up to 100 times the recommended dose of 20 mg per pound are tolerated without serious side effects. It is also safe for use with pregnant.

Recommended dose of 20 mg per pound.

For some reason I was thinkin mg & cc was the same. Thank you for takin the time to help me. Much appreciated.

Its cleaned out Richard, Thank you for letting me know.

Qualified for UKC World 2017
Won his first 4 Shows in a row
Made Champion at 11 months
Qualified for the Illinois Govenors Cup 2017
Owned & Handled by 10 yr old Lil Darik
Titus has been found!!! 4 hours north of us. Dariks Happy Again!
God Is Great!!

Bradleys Tenacious Super Star
Leons Darkside x Blue Label Lilly
2 Wins towards UKC Show Champion
Owned & Handled by 9 yr old Bradley__________________________
618-320-0880 Cell
~Rest In Peace Ole Boy~
Biehls Tenacious Jet
Hobo Hoss x Kansas Jewell

Old Post 10-19-2018 06:06 AM
B&Ttreed2017 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for B&Ttreed2017 Click here to Send B&Ttreed2017 a Private Message Click Here to Email B&Ttreed2017 Find more posts by B&Ttreed2017 Add B&Ttreed2017 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote