UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Dog treed when judge arrives
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
nextcoonhunters
UKC Forum Member

Dog treed when judge arrives

Pretty sure I know the answer. But would like Trevor or Allen to say what happens in this situation.
Dog a trees, tree is dead when the judge arrives dog a and dog b are treeing for all they're worth. Judge tells both handlers they have to handle their dog. Dog b stops treeing and takes off unable to be handled. What the heck does the judge do? What points are given, does it matter how the tree is scored?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-09-2020 11:12 PM
nextcoonhunters is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nextcoonhunters Click here to Send nextcoonhunters a Private Message Find more posts by nextcoonhunters Add nextcoonhunters to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gpent24
UKC Forum Member

Minused everytime.

Old Post 08-10-2020 05:30 PM
gpent24 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gpent24 Click here to Send gpent24 a Private Message Click Here to Email gpent24 Find more posts by gpent24 Add gpent24 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
benderb4
Banned

don't agree. dog never got handled. Let it ride on what ever happens after that tree. fine line. ....If your dog is DECLARED treed. after arriving at tree judge says handle dog but before you can tie it . dog takes off down through woods it will get minus . this dog was not declared on tree and never got handled .

TRUTH IS TREASON IN AN EMPIRE OF LIES...G. Orwell
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING THE GOVERNMENT TELLS YOU...G. Carlin
ONLY THOSE WHO HAVE SOMETHING TO HIDE WORK RELENTLESSLY TO CENSOR THOSE WHO SPEAK THE TRUTH...Ron DeSantis

Old Post 08-10-2020 07:23 PM
benderb4 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for benderb4 Find more posts by benderb4 Add benderb4 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by benderb4
don't agree. dog never got handled. Let it ride on what ever happens after that tree. fine line. ....If your dog is DECLARED treed. after arriving at tree judge says handle dog but before you can tie it . dog takes off down through woods it will get minus . this dog was not declared on tree and never got handled .

X2 it wasn't declared trees and is not minus. Lucky break by dog taking off still carrying whatever its strike is.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 08-10-2020 08:35 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HERSHSHUNTIN
UKC Forum Member

If this was a champion class or running in a rqe type event the dog would be scratched if off game was in the tree. IMO

hershtwo@yahoo.com
Life member NRA
Current dogs
GR CH NT CH RED MIGHTY 90-Bo/Sierra
NT.CH.GR CH BEYOND BILLY HTX --Billy the Kid/ Amber
GR CH 1ST & 2ND place wins 90/4 LIFE GUN-HTX==-Willy BOY/Bigtime Britt
Dogs I have owned
Nt ch Gr ch HERSHS HUNTIN RED IKE
NT CH CH HERSHS HUNTIN BUDDY
GR NT CH MILLERS DIRTY RED
NT CH CH LYNN'S CREEK JULIE
GR CH HERSHS HUNTIN RED KATE
CH NITE CH AMBRAW RIVER TIMBER ROCK
NT CH HERSHS HUNTIN RED CLEM
NT CH ROCKY TOP CHERRY

Old Post 08-10-2020 10:48 PM
HERSHSHUNTIN is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HERSHSHUNTIN Click here to Send HERSHSHUNTIN a Private Message Click Here to Email HERSHSHUNTIN Find more posts by HERSHSHUNTIN Add HERSHSHUNTIN to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tim Green
UKC Forum Member

(h) Dogs treeing but not declared treed, when Judge arrives, will be assigned and minused 25 tree points on off game or slick tree. Dogs shut-out* on strike on slick tree or off game will receive minus tree points only. Refer to Rule 6 (f) for Champion Division casts and off game.

This rule doesn’t say anything about...”if you can catch your dog”. If I’m the MOH when this question comes back, the dog would be misused or scratched (if off game). In the scenario, the dog was there treeing and not declared, therefore he is scored as such. When the judge said, “handle your dog”..that is it, it was determined to be there.

Last edited by Tim Green on 08-11-2020 at 01:18 AM

Old Post 08-11-2020 01:15 AM
Tim Green is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tim Green Click here to Send Tim Green a Private Message Click Here to Email Tim Green Find more posts by Tim Green Add Tim Green to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jdstanley
New UKC Forum Member

I think dog B would receive 25- tree points as soon as he left the tree because he was treeing when the judge arrived at a closed tree so he would receive next available position. It is up to the handler to get the dog on a lead, the fact that he wasn't handled doesn't make a difference the dog left the tree and needed to be minus. JMO

Old Post 08-11-2020 01:35 AM
jdstanley is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jdstanley Click here to Send jdstanley a Private Message Click Here to Email jdstanley Find more posts by jdstanley Add jdstanley to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tim Green
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by jdstanley
I think dog B would receive 25- tree points as soon as he left the tree because he was treeing when the judge arrived at a closed tree so he would receive next available position. It is up to the handler to get the dog on a lead, the fact that he wasn't handled doesn't make a difference the dog left the tree and needed to be minus. JMO

Even if he had stayed, he’d took 25- at a minimum under the new rule because he never treed him and the dog was there when the judge arrived.

What’s bad is.....I can hear the argument that happened I bet.

Old Post 08-11-2020 01:57 AM
Tim Green is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tim Green Click here to Send Tim Green a Private Message Click Here to Email Tim Green Find more posts by Tim Green Add Tim Green to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jdstanley
New UKC Forum Member

If it was a circle tree and he stayed hypothetically I think the dogs tree points would be deleted not minus or did the just change that?

Old Post 08-11-2020 02:49 AM
jdstanley is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jdstanley Click here to Send jdstanley a Private Message Click Here to Email jdstanley Find more posts by jdstanley Add jdstanley to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tim Green
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by jdstanley
If it was a circle tree and he stayed hypothetically I think the dogs tree points would be deleted not minus or did the just change that?

Unfortunately, if it’s a circle it’ll be deleted. If you can’t plus it, you can’t minus it. This is one of those times where you almost have to be there.

Old Post 08-11-2020 03:06 AM
gpent24
UKC Forum Member

i missread post i thought it said dog was declared treed.

Old Post 08-11-2020 04:34 PM
gpent24 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gpent24 Click here to Send gpent24 a Private Message Click Here to Email gpent24 Find more posts by gpent24 Add gpent24 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Allen / UKC
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by benderb4

benderb4 is correct. Any time a dog leaves tree, that was declared treed, receives the tree position minus. In this case, you have a dog that was not declared treed so he has no tree point to minus. He rocks on with his strike points still being live.

There's mention of awarding next available tree points. Not in this case. THE only time you award next available tree points is when the tree is scored minus or has off game (for registered).

Remember this. What needs to happen before you score any tree? A: Two things. 1(dog(s) must be handled and 2) shine time is started.

Next what if question. What if the handler influenced the dog to leave before it could be handled? A: Rule 6 scratches the handler's dog who encourages or discourages a dog.

Old Post 08-11-2020 06:00 PM
Allen / UKC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Allen / UKC Click here to Send Allen / UKC a Private Message Click Here to Email Allen / UKC Find more posts by Allen / UKC Add Allen / UKC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tim Green
UKC Forum Member

Thanks Allen. I would have got that one wrong.

Old Post 08-11-2020 06:22 PM
T Felderman
UKC Forum Member

Re: Dog treed when judge arrives

quote:
Originally posted by nextcoonhunters
But would like Trevor or Allen to say what happens in this situation.

I'd like an official ruling also. Thanks

Yep, see that now, with storms yesterday my internet pops in and out!
Glad that's the way to handle because that's the way I have been for years.

Last edited by T Felderman on 08-11-2020 at 06:53 PM

Old Post 08-11-2020 06:25 PM
T Felderman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for T Felderman Click here to Send T Felderman a Private Message Find more posts by T Felderman Add T Felderman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Re: Re: Dog treed when judge arrives

quote:
Originally posted by T Felderman
I'd like an official ruling also. Thanks

Allen did answer the question. The dog does not receive minus and continues to carry whatever it's strike points are.

Allen / UKC...
benderb4 is correct. Any time a dog leaves tree, that was declared treed, receives the tree position minus. In this case, you have a dog that was not declared treed so he has no tree point to minus. He rocks on with his strike points still being live._

There's mention of awarding next available tree points. Not in this case. THE only time you award next available tree points is when the tree is scored minus or has off game (for registered)._

Remember this. What needs to happen before you score any tree? A: Two things. 1(dog(s) must be handled and 2) shine time is started._

Next what if question. What if the handler influenced the dog to leave before it could be handled? A: Rule 6 scratches the handler's dog who encourages or discourages a dog.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 08-11-2020 06:50 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Tim Green
Thanks Allen. I would have got that one wrong.

Tim you might want to check but it seems to me they might rule different on that across town.

Old Post 08-11-2020 07:38 PM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

Allen /ukc

I sure would have gotten this ruling wrong. When the judge said handle your dogs. The judge saw him treeing, declared treed or not at that point the judge saw him treed so he is treed, no make believe about it.
At what point did 'handle your dogs' no longer mean nothing?

Farther more if there was off game in that tree and it was a champion cast does that mean dog b was not molesting offgame?

There is so much wrong with that ruling i don't know where it starts or how far we can take it before we stop.

Old Post 08-12-2020 02:03 AM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rip
UKC Forum Member

Re: Allen /ukc

quote:
Originally posted by pamjohnson
I sure would have gotten this ruling wrong. When the judge said handle your dogs. The judge saw him treeing, declared treed or not at that point the judge saw him treed so he is treed, no make believe about it.

Farther more if there was off game in that tree and it was a champion cast does that mean dog b was not molesting offgame?

There is so much wrong with that ruling i don't know where it starts or how far we can take it before we stop.

Not trying to argue here just giving you a different way to think about it. If the dog with first tree was there treeing and the judge said "handle your dog" and the dog run off with a coon being seen would you want the dogs strike and tree points plussed? After all the judge saw him treeing and he said handle your dogs. No he gets minus because he left the tree before he was handled.

Here the dog has to be handled and the tree scored in order to assign points. The dog left before he could be handled so there are no points for him to score minus because he wasn't there at the time to assign them.

Last edited by Rip on 08-12-2020 at 03:19 AM

Old Post 08-12-2020 03:17 AM
Rip is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rip Click here to Send Rip a Private Message Click Here to Email Rip Visit Rip's homepage! Find more posts by Rip Add Rip to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Re: Allen /ukc

quote:
Originally posted by pamjohnson

Dogs molesting off game simply have to be SEEN doing so the off game doesn't have to be in a tree so yes in this scenario the unhandled dog seen treeing if it was off game would still be scratched in a CH cast. There is the saved by the judge exception found in rule 5(b) if the dog gets to the tree after the judge. Rule 6(f) under scratching offenses refers you to this one.
5(b) No dog to receive minus points for coming into tree
after Judge arrives unless a coon is seen and dogs treed in are awarded plus points.

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 08-12-2020 04:00 AM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Oh my goodness,, "molesting off game", what a stretch. Now that is sure using a rule. You would have made a great lawyer.

Old Post 08-12-2020 01:04 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lance Laymon
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Allen / UKC
benderb4 is correct. Any time a dog leaves tree, that was declared treed, receives the tree position minus. In this case, you have a dog that was not declared treed so he has no tree point to minus. He rocks on with his strike points still being live.

I don't completely agree with this explanation. 4h and a. clearly states if seen by judge on tree they are accountable for strike and tree. So it seems to me the dog would have to be struck back in.

Last edited by Lance Laymon on 08-12-2020 at 01:59 PM

Old Post 08-12-2020 01:26 PM
Lance Laymon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lance Laymon Click here to Send Lance Laymon a Private Message Find more posts by Lance Laymon Add Lance Laymon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lance Laymon
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Allen /ukc

quote:
Originally posted by Rip
Not trying to argue here just giving you a different way to think about it. If the dog with first tree was there treeing and the judge said "handle your dog" and the dog run off with a coon being seen would you want the dogs strike and tree points plussed? After all the judge saw him treeing and he said handle your dogs. No he gets minus because he left the tree before he was handled.

Here the dog has to be handled and the tree scored in order to assign points. The dog left before he could be handled so there are no points for him to score minus because he wasn't there at the time to assign them.

It is true a dog that left the coon is scored minus tree, but that falls under 4g not 4h. So that is not the same thing. The dog was seen by judge treeing and 4h says accountable for strike and tree points.

Last edited by Lance Laymon on 08-12-2020 at 01:37 PM

Old Post 08-12-2020 01:34 PM
Lance Laymon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lance Laymon Click here to Send Lance Laymon a Private Message Find more posts by Lance Laymon Add Lance Laymon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

Chey I would agree with you but according to Allen , he wouldn't. It can't be both ways. If this dog can be scratched for molesting offgame but some how not minused for leaving this tree I would like to hear it?

Allen/ukc?????

Old Post 08-12-2020 02:08 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rip
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Allen /ukc

quote:
Originally posted by Lance Laymon
It is true a dog that left the coon is scored minus tree, but that falls under 4g not 4h. So that is not the same thing. The dog was seen by judge treeing and 4h says accountable for strike and tree points.

THat's the thing the rule does't say that. You can't score the dog until you score the tree because his score is determined by what is in the tree.

Some were saying because the judge said "handle the dogs" that the dog should be scored as if he was handled.

I used the extreme example of a dog that was declared treed first that left after they said handle the dogs. No one will agree with that. We have specific rules for that and it is clear if a dog leaves the tree before it's handled then it is minus tree points.

In this instance the rules state the treeing but not declared treed will have the strike minused but leaving the tree is not treeing and you have to have the tree scored in order to score that dog. He left before he could be scored and he was never declared treed so it is one of those quirky scoring situations dictated by the rules.

Old Post 08-12-2020 02:08 PM
Rip is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rip Click here to Send Rip a Private Message Click Here to Email Rip Visit Rip's homepage! Find more posts by Rip Add Rip to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lance Laymon
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Allen /ukc

quote:
Originally posted by Rip
THat's the thing the rule does't say that. You can't score the dog until you score the tree because his score is determined by what is in the tree.

Some were saying because the judge said "handle the dogs" that the dog should be scored as if he was handled.

I used the extreme example of a dog that was declared treed first that left after they said handle the dogs. No one will agree with that. We have specific rules for that and it is clear if a dog leaves the tree before it's handled then it is minus tree points.

In this instance the rules state the treeing but not declared treed will have the strike minused but leaving the tree is not treeing and you have to have the tree scored in order to score that dog. He left before he could be scored and he was never declared treed so it is one of those quirky scoring situations dictated by the rules.

4h doesn't say anything about being handled, only seen.

Old Post 08-12-2020 02:15 PM