UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Pup Prices
Pages (3): « 1 2 [3]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by novicane65
Here's something to ponder........
An 8 week old pup/ $50-2500
Started dog or pup/ $500-7500 (with SS left to hunt)
Same dogs aged out of SS/ $500-5000

You won’t get that down here where it’s 16 hours to a major hunt. People down here just like to hunt high powered dog papers and hunts mean nothing.

Tar

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-10-2020 12:56 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Roy Grant
UKC Forum Member

IMO I always priced my pups at the stud fee. Again it is like everything else if it too high for you don't buy one.

Old Post 08-10-2020 01:17 PM
Roy Grant is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Roy Grant Click here to Send Roy Grant a Private Message Click Here to Email Roy Grant Find more posts by Roy Grant Add Roy Grant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
You won’t get that down here where it’s 16 hours to a major hunt. People down here just like to hunt high powered dog papers and hunts mean nothing.

Tar

I know what you're saying. I'm not in big hunt mecca area either. But I've seen my example on many many dogs across the country. I explained this exact scenario to a few guys that were wanting a better dog than what they have knowledge to make. But I'm on the outside looking in. I looked for 2 years to find the young gyp I have. She's not great, but she trees coons.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 08-10-2020 01:27 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Roy Grant
IMO I always priced my pups at the stud fee. Again it is like everything else if it too high for you don't buy one.

Glad you thought of that your as good as Guico insurance!!

Thanks Roy !!

Tar

Old Post 08-10-2020 01:29 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Roy Grant

What if you AI your female and it costs 500 for the semen and $1,000 to inseminate her? Do you charge $1,500 for the pups?

What if the Sire owner doesn't charge you a stud fee? Do you give the pups away for free?

If you charge $300 for the pups and pay to S/S the pups and pay to Performance the pups, shouldn't you now charge $500 for the pups?

Last edited by Richard Lambert on 08-10-2020 at 03:12 PM

Old Post 08-10-2020 02:51 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Corey Gruver
UKC Forum Member

100 Litters

Okay ladies and gentlemen, I had a little extra time on my hands last Friday, so I dove into the classifieds a little deeper and looked at 100 ads for litters of puppies from 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2020 (yup, 500 ads!) and got the average pup price for each year (still working on 2018-2019).

out of 100 litter ads posted in 2014, the average pup price was $344.

out of 100 litter ads posted in 2015, the average pup price was $362

out of 100 litter ads posted in 2016, the average pup price was $379

out of 100 litter ads posted in 2017, the average pup price was $411

out of 100 litter ads posted in 2018, the average pup price was $404

out of 100 litter ads posted in 2019, the average pup price was $549

out of 100 litter ads posted in 2020, the average pup price was $547

Seems to have been a gradual increase in pup prices until we hit 2016-2017. That's where the annual increase of pup prices doubles. Not sure what the average increase in 2018-2019 looks like yet, but 2017 seemed to be the year things went up in a hurry.

I will never tell a man what his puppies or dogs are worth. This post isn't meant to complain about pup prices or justify them. There is obviously an upward trend in prices currently and I'd just like to know what the driving force behind that is or what is stimulating that change?

Thanks for all the input thus far!

Last edited by Corey Gruver on 08-10-2020 at 07:42 PM

Old Post 08-10-2020 03:00 PM
Corey Gruver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Corey Gruver Click here to Send Corey Gruver a Private Message Find more posts by Corey Gruver Add Corey Gruver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Maybe it is the economy. It looks like the increase in pup prices is something else that we can blame on Trump.

Old Post 08-10-2020 03:07 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AAThoundhunter
UKC Forum Member

Driving the change

I think one thing that is driving the prices is up is that you can go win 30K+ in one weekend. Guys that play on that level and win then sell the pups out of those dogs for 1000-2000 so it makes the average guy list his pups for half that which is 500-1000.

Old Post 08-10-2020 03:12 PM
AAThoundhunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AAThoundhunter Click here to Send AAThoundhunter a Private Message Find more posts by AAThoundhunter Add AAThoundhunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Corey Gruver
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
Maybe it is the economy. It looks like the increase in pup prices is something else that we can blame on Trump.

Dag gum, he's making coonhunting great again too!

Old Post 08-10-2020 03:32 PM
Corey Gruver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Corey Gruver Click here to Send Corey Gruver a Private Message Find more posts by Corey Gruver Add Corey Gruver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Corey Gruver
UKC Forum Member

FINALLY! Got through all 700 ads lol

Here are the completed averages over the span of 2014-2020:

So what happened from 2018-2019??? That is a significant jump.

Old Post 08-10-2020 07:45 PM
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Corey Gruver
FINALLY! Got through all 700 ads lol

Here are the completed averages over the span of 2014-2020:

So what happened from 2018-2019??? That is a significant jump.

I think its more about the SS than anything else. If you've got a young dog that can tree coons consistently, then you can go and compete.

And

Gone but not forgotten

Old Post 08-10-2020 08:35 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BuckHicks
UKC Forum Member

Camo Man

I sale my pups at working mans price of $400.00 to $500.00 each. I always think I might be able to buy one back after someone else gets them going. May have to raise my price on pups. They never seem to come for sale. JUST SAYING

Old Post 08-11-2020 11:41 PM
BuckHicks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BuckHicks Click here to Send BuckHicks a Private Message Click Here to Email BuckHicks Find more posts by BuckHicks Add BuckHicks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Oh my goodness, so if I have just average pups, I should only ask $550 for them?

Old Post 08-12-2020 03:09 AM
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Oh my goodness, so if I have just average pups, I should only ask $550 for them?

No your pups are redbones, so you should be paying the people that take them off your hands. Lol

I think everyone shouldn't worry about what others charge for pups. Just put what you think is a fair price on yours.

And

Gone but not forgotten

Old Post 08-12-2020 03:14 AM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

That sure wouldn't work. I think that mine are priceless. Have you not seen how cute they are?

Old Post 08-12-2020 01:06 PM
Corey Gruver
UKC Forum Member

Richard

If it makes you feel better, those pup price averages were based on Walker puppy ads, not Redbone puppy ads You can keep inflating the Redbone puppy market all you want lol

Old Post 08-12-2020 03:05 PM
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

Re: Richard

quote:
Originally posted by Corey Gruver
If it makes you feel better, those pup price averages were based on Walker puppy ads, not Redbone puppy ads You can keep inflating the Redbone puppy market all you want lol

Well here's a question then.....

What are the sire's and dam's out of the collection you did? Are they bigger winners on avg or just some pleasure dogs? And why did you include any other breed?

And

Gone but not forgotten

Old Post 08-12-2020 08:08 PM
Corey Gruver
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Richard

quote:
Originally posted by novicane65
Well here's a question then.....

What are the sire's and dam's out of the collection you did? Are they bigger winners on avg or just some pleasure dogs? And why did you include any other breed?

Choosing Walker classified ads for puppies was a no brainer. There are plenty of them. Which stud (or female) sired the pups was not taken into consideration.

Old Post 08-12-2020 08:16 PM
shane_atchison
UKC Forum Member

Pup $

How many fewer people raised pups in 2020 than 2014? I know a ton of people who've got outta coonhounds for various reasons & the generation that was the driving force behind the sport is shrinking fast..

Old Post 08-13-2020 02:38 PM
shane_atchison is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shane_atchison Click here to Send shane_atchison a Private Message Click Here to Email shane_atchison Find more posts by shane_atchison Add shane_atchison to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Corey Gruver
UKC Forum Member

shane

One thing I noticed while going through all the ads was there seemed to be a drop in puppy ads in 2019. However, every other year seemed to have a similar total amount of ads posted.

Old Post 08-13-2020 02:45 PM
Fireballs
Banned

quote:
That sure wouldn't work. I think that mine are priceless. Have you not seen how cute they are?
Yes I have seen the green eyed long curly haired flag tailed bottle nosed redbones beauty is in he eye of the beholder

Old Post 08-24-2020 02:54 PM
Fireballs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Fireballs Click here to Send Fireballs a Private Message Click Here to Email Fireballs Find more posts by Fireballs Add Fireballs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote