UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > What you eat can?
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

What you eat can?

What you eat...and even your environment can affect the next generation or generations...this is just one research paper or many different ones out there...

https://www.whatisepigenetics.com/e...betes-epidemic/

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-30-2020 02:23 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Rueben

That may help explain Tar, he ate a lot of hominy back in the day and now he is full of "grit". Lol. Dave

Last edited by Dave Richards on 07-30-2020 at 02:54 AM

Old Post 07-30-2020 02:52 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Re: Rueben

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
That may help explain Tar, he ate a lot of hominy back in the day and now he is full of "grit". Lol. Dave

But ole tar ain’t gotta eat it now lol.

Tar

Old Post 07-30-2020 03:19 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tar

Shucks man, I like hominy and hominy grits, grits are a staple in the South, just as famous as Catfish and hushpuppies. Dave p.s. What about some cheese grits with shrimp, would you eat that?

Last edited by Dave Richards on 07-30-2020 at 03:34 AM

Old Post 07-30-2020 03:29 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Re: Tar

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dave Richards
Shucks man, I like hominy and hominy grits, grits are a staple in the South, just as famous as Catfish and hushpuppies. Dave p.s. What about some cheese grits with shrimp, would you eat that? [/QUOTE

I like corn and I like grits but I hate hominy !! It serves no purpose it don’t even taste like what you put it in that’s why manudo is for drunks beef tripe and hominy.

Tar

Old Post 07-30-2020 03:41 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tar

Glad I am not a drunk, definitely no tripe for me, I will eat the hominy. Lol. Dave

Old Post 07-30-2020 03:49 AM
Larry Hall
UKC Forum Member

Pinto beans, hominy, shuck beans, corn bread and grits were a staple at our house as a child.. After I got up and out of home it was years before I ever ate any of it again.. Now they are all some of my favorites and bring back many fond memories..

I'm gonna be stringing up a mess of shuck beans shortly for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner!

I'd love to sit at my Grand Mothers table again eating a bowl of Pinto beans some corn bread and onion..

We've all got too uppity in our old age and prosperity our folks (at least mine) never dreamed of..

Old Post 07-30-2020 01:56 PM
Larry Hall is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Hall Click here to Send Larry Hall a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Hall Find more posts by Larry Hall Add Larry Hall to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Epigenetics...

Epigenetics is not new...imo it is a part of evolution due to environmental change or manipulation...like many things...when we create an action there can be a reaction...in reality many things that we do with our dogs in making them better is actually a form of Epigenetics...it is all good because it is normal things we do...we can think outside the box and create an environment to test or enhance certain traits and many folks will not agree as helpful in producing better dogs because it is personal theory without real proof... I believe one day humans and dogs will be better because of the improved science...

we have scientists all over the world performing all kinds of experiments by creating different environments and making observations...they can now do this because they now understand how the changes take place around the DNA...different genes can be turned on or off to create changes in personalities, likes or dislikes and many other changes depending on the environmental manipulation...some of these changes can be for the individual or can last for multiple generations...

This can be used to create a negative or a positive response or trait...

Old Post 07-31-2020 06:20 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

This could be or not be a form of Epigenetics because it is my personal opinion with no scientific backing...

But I will provide two examples...a negative and a positive performing the same task...the goal is to get the pups to love raw beef liver...one will succeed and one will not reach the desired level for the pups to really like the liver...

For three mornings and before the morning feeding...while pups are really hungry...give each pup a tidbit of raw liver before letting them out...always approach from upwind so they learn to use the wind currents...by the third day they are using the wind currents and are excited to get their beef liver...be observant and see which pups winded naturally on the first session...

So now I can use the liver in a different manner...the next time I can spread the liver pieces in the yard and watch the pups...see which is clocking and winding...cast them out and see which pups goes to searchers without any encouragement...we are looking for natural ability...

The positive that created the enthusiasm was using the pups hunger to my advantage...I can use the liver as a drag...exposing them to finding and winding...

The negative scenario...I feed the pups and then I give them liver tidbits or worse...give them too much liver...

I really don’t need to go through the exercises for anyone to know the pups will not be interested or not really get into the tasks at hand...

Epigenetics can be positives or it can be negatives...depending on environment and environmental conditioning...

Training a dog has a lot to do with how we train them...it’s not quantity as much as it is quality...

Old Post 08-01-2020 01:02 AM
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Re: Tar

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
Glad I am not a drunk, definitely no tripe for me, I will eat the hominy. Lol. Dave
Well, I don't drink, but if you ever see me eating tripe, I'm either starving or drunk. And I don't think I could get that drunk.

Old Post 08-01-2020 01:18 AM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Tar

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc
Well, I don't drink, but if you ever see me eating tripe, I'm either starving or drunk. And I don't think I could get that drunk.

Donald, I am with you on that, can never say never, but I would have to be extremely hungry to eat tripe. Lol. Dave

Old Post 08-01-2020 01:27 AM
Richard Edinger
UKC Forum Member

I watched a television program years ago on the dietary habits from the great depression and the resulting effects on the grandchildren.
I have searched for that video with no success , would be interesting to see again

Old Post 08-01-2020 05:04 PM
Richard Edinger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Edinger Click here to Send Richard Edinger a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Edinger Find more posts by Richard Edinger Add Richard Edinger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

So nobody has ever eaten potted ham?

Old Post 08-01-2020 05:40 PM
yadkinriver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkinriver
I'm sure we've all eaten things we would rather not know about.

Old Post 08-01-2020 11:17 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Edinger
I watched a television program years ago on the dietary habits from the great depression and the resulting effects on the grandchildren.
I have searched for that video with no success , would be interesting to see again

I hope you can find it and post it here...👍

Old Post 08-02-2020 11:04 AM
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Double post

Old Post 08-02-2020 11:04 AM
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkinriver

Yes sir...but Vienna sausages are more convenient...I keep a 6 pack at home and at work and use occasionally...more for convenience than anything else...

I don’t eat tripe...but I had menudo yesterday...I added fresh diced jalapeño, fresh chopped onion...one half squeezed lime and two homemade flour tortillas from a little restaurant, “Marias Kitchen”...once a month ain’t bad...😊

I forgot it comes with hominy...I don’t really care for it but I will eat it...😳😁

Old Post 08-02-2020 11:24 AM
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

Reuben I havent looked on a can of potted meat for a long time but it used to list tripe as an ingredientand as far as Vienna Sausage is concerned on a fishing trip couple years ago fish weren't biting and I started reading the nutrition facts on a can of Viennas. Kinda high in cholerserol and sodium along with some other negative facts. Thought that wasn't too bad until I saw "per serving". Seems there is about 2 1/2 serving in a little can.
Me and a buddy went into an authenic Mexican restaurant and I asked him what the soup was several were eating. He told me it was hang over soup. Thought it must be good cause didn't many look too hung over. I ordered it and took one bite and about lost it. Then my azzhole buddy told me whats in it. I slid it away and a Mexican in line to order said you no eat? Told him he?? no > He said me eat and slid in beside me and went to the bottom of the bowl, got up and shook my hand and left. Seems I made a new buddy and never heard his name. If you can eat that you are tougher than I am.

Old Post 08-02-2020 01:13 PM
yadkinriver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

Btw I went back to sardines for my hunting snack. lol

Old Post 08-02-2020 01:16 PM
yadkintar
Banned

Menudo

Make you have a rumble in the jungle the next day too lol.

We pitchforked carp in the bayous down home. Soon as you catch one you wack off the tail with a hatchet and let them bleed out. Pressure cook them and make salmon patties you can’t tell the difference. I like Texas Pete hot sauce on mine.

Tar

Old Post 08-02-2020 01:31 PM
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

Whew!! Sounds like a bunch of possums posting on here.

Old Post 08-02-2020 02:15 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Oh my goodness..."pitchfork carp" ...that brought back some old memories that I hadn't thought about in a long time. When I was about 10-12 years old my 2 brothers and I would go fishing in the creek with a pitchfork. We only had 1 pitchfork so we did a lot of fighting over who got to use it. It taught us how to share though. If you didn't give it up after your turn then the other 2 scared the fish away. We didn't care what kind of fish it was. If it was under water it was fair game and if we brought it home, my grandmother would cook it.

Old Post 08-02-2020 02:42 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
Oh my goodness..."pitchfork carp" ...that brought back some old memories that I hadn't thought about in a long time. When I was about 10-12 years old my 2 brothers and I would go fishing in the creek with a pitchfork. We only had 1 pitchfork so we did a lot of fighting over who got to use it. It taught us how to share though. If you didn't give it up after your turn then the other 2 scared the fish away. We didn't care what kind of fish it was. If it was under water it was fair game and if we brought it home, my grandmother would cook it.

Years ago we were on a vacation and these two boys about 10 or 12 years old were fishing with dough balls and they caught a big carp about 3 ft long...they were excited and were packing up and taking that fish with them...I asked them what they were going to do with that carp...they said...we’re going to grandmas house and she will cook it for us...😳

Old Post 08-02-2020 02:58 PM
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Reuben
Years ago we were on a vacation and these two boys about 10 or 12 years old were fishing with dough balls and they caught a big carp about 3 ft long...they were excited and were packing up and taking that fish with them...I asked them what they were going to do with that carp...they said...we’re going to grandmas house and she will cook it for us...😳

Everybody ate carp and buffalo down there when they flooded the rice fields they were in abundance. Me and my little brouther And several friends were professional carp stabbers lol.

Made a little extra money sometimes.

Tar

Old Post 08-05-2020 11:15 PM
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Tar...we didn’t work rice fields but we went and shot water moccasins and caught small carp and perch for cat fishing...also went swimming in the bigger canals...didn’t have many gators back then that I knew of...I don’t think anyone’s swims the rivers or canals anymore on account of there are many big gators all around most areas in the South...

Old Post 08-06-2020 01:57 AM