UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Meat dog
Pages (7): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Sgraves
UKC Forum Member

Meat dog

Hear some say, he want make a competition hound , but a good meat dog. To me a lot of competition dogs are man made an a good meat dog is left alone an does what it’s bred to do. I was thinking how much better it would be if man didn’t put his 2 cents in an let a hound show what kinda blood is flowing through it’s veins

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-15-2020 01:52 AM
Sgraves is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sgraves Click here to Send Sgraves a Private Message Click Here to Email Sgraves Find more posts by Sgraves Add Sgraves to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Meat dog!

Don’t have worry about rules you call him struck you call him treed and you write plus points on the scorecard. One of those will bring people to your doorstep a whole lot faster than them glossy magazine adds.

Tar

Old Post 07-15-2020 02:07 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sgraves
UKC Forum Member

Re: Meat dog!

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
Don’t have worry about rules you call him struck you call him treed and you write plus points on the scorecard. One of those will bring people to your doorstep a whole lot faster than them glossy magazine adds.

Tar

I like your way of thinking. You will win your fair share, an be more respected by people that counts

Old Post 07-15-2020 02:48 AM
Sgraves is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sgraves Click here to Send Sgraves a Private Message Click Here to Email Sgraves Find more posts by Sgraves Add Sgraves to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Meat dog

If you don't have a dog that shows you the MEAT, you don't have nothing. Coon hunting should be about treeing and seeing coons in those trees. ACCURACY to me is what determines how good your dog is, without ACCURACY all you have is a dog not a coon dog. Dave

Old Post 07-15-2020 02:54 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

I have had accurate dogs that was worthless in the hunts. Some of them wasn't even good meat /hide dogs. While I agree accuracy is so very important I have seen a few dogs that was not what I consider the most accurate that was still very very nice hounds. Now I'm not talking about a slick treer by no means.

Old Post 07-15-2020 01:30 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kler Kry
UKC Forum Member

Accurate Treedogs

The 100% accurate dog that leaves coon sitting because they don't know that they are there is just as bad a the dog that slick trees. THEY MISSED THE COON EITHER WAY!

Old Post 07-15-2020 02:39 PM
Kler Kry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kler Kry Click here to Send Kler Kry a Private Message Click Here to Email Kler Kry Find more posts by Kler Kry Add Kler Kry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lipperman22
UKC Forum Member

I’d say the difference is speed.

Old Post 07-15-2020 04:50 PM
Lipperman22 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lipperman22 Click here to Send Lipperman22 a Private Message Click Here to Email Lipperman22 Find more posts by Lipperman22 Add Lipperman22 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Re: Accurate Treedogs

quote:
Originally posted by Kler Kry
The 100% accurate dog that leaves coon sitting because they don't know that they are there is just as bad a the dog that slick trees. THEY MISSED THE COON EITHER WAY!
Wrong! An accurate dog is an accurate dog. He's not guessing or gambling. Is a superior track dog guessing where the coon went and running full throttle in that direction until he catches the coon? NO. He's a gifted track dog. He can move a track better than any other dog in the pack. Why do some dogs strike better from the truck than other dogs? They're gifted. An accurate tree dog is the same way. He has a gift very few have. it's hard to comprehend if you never saw one. They're rare. And they tree a lot of lay-up coons.

Old Post 07-15-2020 05:48 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nextcoonhunters
UKC Forum Member

Re: Meat dog

quote:
Originally posted by Sgraves
Hear some say, he want make a competition hound , but a good meat dog.

Alot of times just someone's junk they are trying to get rid of, but not always.
For example if the dog has these faults but is accurate, most pleasure hunters don't mind. Slower on track, mills at the tree but stays there, covers other dogs, tree the occasional possum. None of that works out while on paper but if he treed 3 or 4 coons a night most would love him. Or the other thing I heard said is he's as mean as a snake but would make someone a great meat dog.
Now as far as letting the dog's natural self unmodified show, that's impossible. We as owners change our hounds from day one. From the food we feed to how much time we spend doing stuff with em. Great idea but flat impossible. I get the idea of a raw pup, seeing what their hunting ability is without correction. But you can take to littermates that have never been started and raised in two different places an my opinion the environment they been raised in will have an effect on how they start.

Old Post 07-15-2020 06:18 PM
nextcoonhunters is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nextcoonhunters Click here to Send nextcoonhunters a Private Message Find more posts by nextcoonhunters Add nextcoonhunters to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Meat dog

Just how in the world did an accurate dog become a dog that left coons sitting? When I say accurate I mean ACCURATE, a dog that can tree a litter of coons in a small area up different trees without missing. ACCURACY has nothing to do with track speed, milling trees, or any other faults a dog has. ACCURACY is a dog that takes their tracks as they come and shows you a coon when they tree. The best or most accurate dogs I have ever seen were ALL top COMPETITION DOGS as well as Top MEAT DOGS. Dave

Old Post 07-15-2020 08:33 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ridgerunner1988
UKC Forum Member

Re: Meat dog

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
Just how in the world did an accurate dog become a dog that left coons sitting? When I say accurate I mean ACCURATE, a dog that can tree a litter of coons in a small area up different trees without missing. ACCURACY has nothing to do with track speed, milling trees, or any other faults a dog has. ACCURACY is a dog that takes their tracks as they come and shows you a coon when they tree. The best or most accurate dogs I have ever seen were ALL top COMPETITION DOGS as well as Top MEAT DOGS. Dave
X2 If they're thinking a dog that leaves coons sitting or trees opossums is an accurate dog then they have no idea what accuracy is and have never owned an accurate hound.

Old Post 07-15-2020 09:05 PM
Ridgerunner1988 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ridgerunner1988 Click here to Send Ridgerunner1988 a Private Message Find more posts by Ridgerunner1988 Add Ridgerunner1988 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kler Kry
UKC Forum Member

Re: Accurate Treedogs

quote:

I'm referring to score card 100% accuracy type dogs that in my mind miss and are inaccurate because although they don't tree slick they put up coon and go on as they have to be extremely confident to stay treed. Supremely accurate dogs usually have the coon treed within sight of the slick treeing dogs. They are rare just like superior track dogs.

Old Post 07-15-2020 10:03 PM
Kler Kry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kler Kry Click here to Send Kler Kry a Private Message Click Here to Email Kler Kry Find more posts by Kler Kry Add Kler Kry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Accurate Treedogs

quote:
I'm referring to score card 100% accuracy type dogs that in my mind miss and are inaccurate because although they don't tree slick they put up coon and go on as they have to be extremely confident to stay treed. Supremely accurate dogs usually have the coon treed within sight of the slick treeing dogs. They are rare just like superior track dogs.
An accurate dog is confident. If you ever hunted one regularly you wouldn't be posting this.

Last edited by shadinc on 07-16-2020 at 02:15 AM

Old Post 07-15-2020 10:32 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

I don't think you fellows that are talking accuracy know anything but your own bragging.
Maybe some of you don't get out enough.
Treeing a opossum isn't accurate ?
All accurate dogs are confident?
All accurate dogs are track dogs?
Where do some of you come up with this stuff

Old Post 07-16-2020 01:32 AM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Accurate Treedogs

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc
Wrong! An accurate dog is an accurate dog. He's not guessing or gambling. Is a superior track dog guessing where the coon went and running full throttle in that direction until he catches the coon? NO. He's a gifted track dog. He can move a track better than any other dog in the pack. Why do some dogs strike better from the truck than other dogs? They're gifted. An accurate tree dog is the same way. He has a gift very few have. it's hard to comprehend if you never saw one. They're rare. And they tree a lot of lay-up coons.

🤭👍

Old Post 07-16-2020 01:47 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by pamjohnson
I don't think you fellows that are talking accuracy know anything but your own bragging.
Maybe some of you don't get out enough.
Treeing a opossum isn't accurate ?
All accurate dogs are confident?
All accurate dogs are track dogs?
Where do some of you come up with this stuff

Who's bragging and about what? Who mentioned possums? Who said all accurate dogs are good track dogs? I merely stated that an accurate dog was gifted. He Knows better than the average dog when a coon is in a tree. And he doesn't smell where it went up and didn't come down. That would be deductive reasoning and a dog is not capable of that. He knows when a coon is in a tree. I hope you get to see one someday.

Old Post 07-16-2020 02:25 AM
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

But on a lighter note, if an accurate dog decides to tree a possum, he will have the possum.

Old Post 07-16-2020 02:35 AM
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc
But on a lighter note, if an accurate dog decides to tree a possum, he will have the possum.

I seen them tree persimmon trees with pin point accuracy lol.

Tar

Old Post 07-16-2020 02:42 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

A skinned possum leg looks just like a skinned chicken thigh...🤔😳

Old Post 07-16-2020 02:52 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Donald

It's amazing how some folks get things all twisted, makes me think they just can't read comprehensively, sure glad they are not a coon dog or they would be labeled " slick treer". I guess dogs are not the only slick treers in this world, I think he's there or I think he said this, kind of funny, isn't it? Dave

Old Post 07-16-2020 02:55 AM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Rueben

Easy there, you will have Tars mouth watering. Lol. Dave

Old Post 07-16-2020 02:56 AM
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Reuben
A skinned possum leg looks just like a skinned chicken thigh...🤔😳

It don’t taste like chicken but it’s better than nothen lol.

Tar

Old Post 07-16-2020 02:58 AM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tar

I have never ate one, but that don't mean I wouldn't if I had to. We would ALL eat things we normally would not eat if it meant not starving to death. A lot of the mountain folks In my country used to eat possums, ground hogs, coons and any other game they could kill, back before Welfare, wild game beat nothing. Dave

Old Post 07-16-2020 04:01 AM
nextcoonhunters
UKC Forum Member

Yep

That's why back in the day the dogs treed something. At the end of the night you had to eat. If the dog could tree dinner it was dinner.

Old Post 07-16-2020 04:09 AM
nextcoonhunters is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nextcoonhunters Click here to Send nextcoonhunters a Private Message Find more posts by nextcoonhunters Add nextcoonhunters to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Sgraves, I will try to give you my viewpoint on a couple things you said.

1. Dog won't make much of a comp hound but is a meat dog. For a dog to be a meat dog it has to tree coon and have the coon in the tree. You also need your comp dog that does this. The meat dog can do a lot of things that would get it minus points in a hunt the a pleasure hunter may overlook.
Many pleasure hunters still walk hunt. Their dog hunts close and around them. That dog treeing coon would be a good meat dog and perhaps not a good comp dog. A dog that trees a bunch of coon but their mouth is weak. Might be the best for competition hunting. Again a good meat dog but their mouth holds it back in competition.
Now the sad side of the coin is a dog that really isn't that good of a meat dog, getting sold as one with the excuse it isn't the comp dog the person wanted but a heck of a meat dog. Thats a lie and one used all to often to sell a dog.

2. You talk about competition dogs being manmade and you want to see the breeding or genetics come out in a dog. Competition dogs need to be trained and handled every time they are hunted as if they are in a hunt. That doesn't make them man made. That gets them to conform by the rules. Their genetics just like a top meat dog is what takes them to the top. Just down a different path that the good meat dog takes. Actually a narrower path. More structured. The breeding and genetics needs to be in the upper class for a comp dog to excel. They need a top mouth that can be heard a long ways. You can get by with a meat dog that doesn't meet this standard. They need to have some handle on them. Both when leashed at the tree and also being led. They need to be able to respond to being called in. All these things a meat dog might have but don't need to have. Because it is not costing him minus points to loose a cast. Just causing the owner some aggravation and way to many owners put up with aggravation they don't need from a dog. Just because a dog is handled and trained to perform by a set of rules. Doesn't make it man made. It makes is like a diamond that has been polished. More enjoyable to look at and more valuable. I have a dog here right now I love. He is surly not a polished coonhound but one with plenty of coon in the trees. I will probably never take him to town or sell him. So why do all this fine tuning on him and get overheated while hunting, correcting him for some minor things I let him get away with. We just have fun. His genetics as a pleasure dog or a comp dog are there. His training and polishing are lacking. Because I have gotten lazy. LOL He gets in some real thick stuff. I just call him off the tree. In the past I would never, never call a dog off the tree. I would never turn a dog out of the box without a leash on him. I would never walk to a tree and not leash my dog right away and snap them to a sapling or something close by. I would never allow a dog to go any different other than where I pointed him. Or even let one think of running down a road a hundred yards. Quality dogs are quality dogs. They are trained dogs. Meat/Pleasure hunters, just let them do some things a serious comp hunter can't allow. But the genetics to get to the top of either category have to be there. The ones you find for sale that are advertised as good meat dogs and not good comp dogs. Probably are lacking in the genetic department also.

Old Post 07-16-2020 11:01 AM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote