UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > As a general rule...
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

As a general rule...

I know all dogs are different but as a general rule does killing more coons to a trained hound help it or is it just a pleasure for the Hunter's satisfaction.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-12-2021 08:02 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Corey Gruver
UKC Forum Member

Personally, I think it just depends on the individual dog.

Old Post 01-12-2021 08:15 PM
Corey Gruver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Corey Gruver Click here to Send Corey Gruver a Private Message Find more posts by Corey Gruver Add Corey Gruver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dogwhisper
UKC Forum Member

"killing more coon to a trained hound"
...is a waste.....but hey some people just gotta have that 300 quote or they just ain't satisfied

Old Post 01-12-2021 10:15 PM
Dogwhisper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dogwhisper Click here to Send Dogwhisper a Private Message Find more posts by Dogwhisper Add Dogwhisper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

I do not think it helps a finished dog... and does very little for one once they are started good.

Old Post 01-12-2021 10:16 PM
houndsound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rick St.Clair
UKC Forum Member

If the person shooting the coon out doesn't know if the dog needs it or not, I don't know how any one else is supposed to know.

Old Post 01-12-2021 10:58 PM
Rick St.Clair is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rick St.Clair Click here to Send Rick St.Clair a Private Message Click Here to Email Rick St.Clair Find more posts by Rick St.Clair Add Rick St.Clair to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rocketman55
UKC Forum Member

I think it depends on what your hound is used for. If you are pleasure hunting, (only) I don't believe a seasoned hound needs a lot of coon down to them, Say maybe one of 10 that you see.

But if you are comp hunting, that same dog needs more reason to push its body to the fullest. Thus it is (my opinion) that a dog needs a REAL reason such as being rewarded with a coon, to fully push it's body and mind to hunt for, pursue, and stay treed, with an overpowers desire to actually be accurate when barking up a tree.

Yes without a coon for reward, a dog will still run and tree, but may not give its fullest effort to do ALL THING RIGHT like they have to do to be successful in comp hunting

Glouster, Ohio 45732
Home To:
Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Hang'em High Holly
Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Rockets Top Gun.
Gr.Nt.Ch.Hooper Ridge Rocket
Gr.Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Dolly
Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Queen
Nt.Ch Raw Dawg Rowdy
PR Tree Banging Buddy
HOOPER RIDGE ENGLISH-POUND FOR POUND THEY ARE ONE TOUGH HOUND!!!!

Old Post 01-12-2021 11:00 PM
Rocketman55 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rocketman55 Click here to Send Rocketman55 a Private Message Click Here to Email Rocketman55 Find more posts by Rocketman55 Add Rocketman55 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DocAcumen
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Corey Gruver

I am sure that is a good point.

But , what do the PRO handlers do , or what do the owners of them dogs see as the Ideal method?

As there are guys out there on the road for weeks pushing a hound . that is the next big thing , or at the least trying to make it so!

How long can them hounds go without some meat , or at the lest a doggie biscuit at the tree? And , still hold all the pressure that can be?

AKA , Stay HOOKED on the tree they chose ....
AS 3 other dogs are either running wide open , or on there own tree at the same time!!!!

Be nice to hear what the owners , trainers , Pro handlers have to say about that?

Old Post 01-13-2021 12:17 AM
DocAcumen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DocAcumen Click here to Send DocAcumen a Private Message Find more posts by DocAcumen Add DocAcumen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RedCreek Hunter
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Corey Gruver

I’ve had dogs that had to have coons to stay in tune, I’ve had a select few that you couldn’t kill coons to cause they were such tree dogs they’d slick you to death if you fed them coons cause they’d get way too wound up and then I’ve had dogs that could care less if you ever rolled one out to them. They were always the same. Just had to know what I had at the time. Personally I like the last of the three I listed best and those usually stayed til they died at my place.

Old Post 01-13-2021 12:37 AM
RedCreek Hunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RedCreek Hunter Click here to Send RedCreek Hunter a Private Message Find more posts by RedCreek Hunter Add RedCreek Hunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

If you have to feed them coon to keep them treeing coon you don’t have much of a coon dog. I believe it is more of when you give them an occasional coon then how many you give them.

Old Post 01-13-2021 02:15 AM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

I don't like a dog that falls apart when it gets coons knocked out. I also don't like a dog that needs coons all the time.

If it's good enough, it doesn't matter how many coons you knock out.

Old Post 01-13-2021 02:48 AM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MARSHALL AYERS
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Dogwhisper
"killing more coon to a trained hound"
...is a waste.....but hey some people just gotta have that 300 quote or they just ain't satisfied

300? In a season? Holy hell! I haven’t killed 300 in the last 10 years.

DUAL GRAND GRNITECH'GRCH'PR'NITRO'S BIGTIME GOMER
http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x374/bigtimekennels/th_null_zpsaf6e7c86.png

Old Post 01-13-2021 03:28 AM
MARSHALL AYERS is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MARSHALL AYERS Click here to Send MARSHALL AYERS a Private Message Click Here to Email MARSHALL AYERS Find more posts by MARSHALL AYERS Add MARSHALL AYERS to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Rick St.Clair
If the person shooting the coon out doesn't know if the dog needs it or not, I don't know how any one else is supposed to know.

👍

Old Post 01-13-2021 03:35 AM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AveryCreek
UKC Forum Member

I like what my Dad always told me. Shoot one out occasionally once they are a finished dog, but if they have a coon just pet them up and tell them what a good dog they are and scold them when they are wrong. I would much rather be scratched on the head or belly than have old ricky chew on my face!

Old Post 01-13-2021 06:39 PM
AveryCreek is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AveryCreek Click here to Send AveryCreek a Private Message Click Here to Email AveryCreek Find more posts by AveryCreek Add AveryCreek to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AveryCreek
UKC Forum Member

I like what my Dad always told me. Shoot one out occasionally once they are a finished dog, but if they have a coon just pet them up and tell them what a good dog they are and scold them when they are wrong. I would much rather be scratched on the head or belly than have old ricky chew on my face!

Old Post 01-13-2021 06:39 PM
AveryCreek is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AveryCreek Click here to Send AveryCreek a Private Message Click Here to Email AveryCreek Find more posts by AveryCreek Add AveryCreek to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
D Seals
UKC Forum Member

I’ve always looked at it this way. I don’t work for free. I don’t expect my dogs to either. Regardless of age or ability.

Old Post 01-14-2021 05:54 AM
D Seals is offline Click Here to See the Profile for D Seals Click here to Send D Seals a Private Message Click Here to Email D Seals Find more posts by D Seals Add D Seals to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ron Ashbaugh
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by D Seals
I’ve always looked at it this way. I don’t work for free. I don’t expect my dogs to either. Regardless of age or ability.

Oh lord, ive read this same statement since the day i started 25 years ago. Its unreal to me that any person believes that a coonhound views going hunting as "work"....oh stop it. Any good dog i ever had lived and breathed to go hunting. They didnt need any kind of reward for doing so.

All of us do things we love or are wired to do simply because we enjoy it or its just part of our dna...dogs are the same. They dont count or keep score or require a reward. They do its because it is what they are. No more no less. I never shoot coons and my dog quivers in excitement the moment it sees my light.

Ron Ashbaugh
CROOKED FOOT KENNELS

Old Post 01-14-2021 12:23 PM
Ron Ashbaugh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Ashbaugh Click here to Send Ron Ashbaugh a Private Message Find more posts by Ron Ashbaugh Add Ron Ashbaugh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
North Creek
UKC Forum Member

Killing coonc

During kill season in these mountains if my pup trees it I will shoot it to him a coon dog wants to kill coons not just tree them. (In my opinion that and a dollar will get you a cup of coffee)

Old Post 01-14-2021 12:54 PM
North Creek is offline Click Here to See the Profile for North Creek Click here to Send North Creek a Private Message Find more posts by North Creek Add North Creek to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Triple K Kennel
UKC Forum Member

Re: Killing coonc

quote:
Originally posted by North Creek
During kill season in these mountains if my pup trees it I will shoot it to him a coon dog wants to kill coons not just tree them. (In my opinion that and a dollar will get you a cup of coffee)

I agree 100%....!!!
If its an old dog....say 9 years+ then maybe not every Coon.....but a younger dog will get every Coon it will tree.
Our Reward going to a treed dog is seeing the Coon and their's is getting the Coon.
Tim

Quality, Dependable Coon Lights--Built by a Coonhunter for Coonhunters
==================================
** Superior Lights

** Sunspot Hunting Lights

** Zepp's--Quality Products

** Boss Lights

**Brighteyes Lights

** They Twist it until they start believing it themselves**

Purina Dog Food
** Proven Results **

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Competition Coonhunters and Politicians
** Win anyway you have to & tell everyone what they want to hear **

Old Post 01-14-2021 01:35 PM
Triple K Kennel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Triple K Kennel Click here to Send Triple K Kennel a Private Message Find more posts by Triple K Kennel Add Triple K Kennel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dan&Ann
UKC Forum Member

My two cents!

I would say a lot of this would have to do with how thick or thin your coon are in that area. My rule is if I have to swim across a river or beaver pond to get to the tree he is gonna get the lead...

Old Post 01-14-2021 03:10 PM
Dan&Ann is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dan&Ann Click here to Send Dan&Ann a Private Message Find more posts by Dan&Ann Add Dan&Ann to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

This is why I love this site so much! Seems like everyone on here sees it differently and I enjoy all the different opinions and views and usually nobody gets to upset. Sometimes it don't make sense to me but this is America and everyone has the right to be wrong even me.lol👍

Old Post 01-14-2021 03:43 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

I have a really nice young dog that doesn't really care about a dead coon much. Maybe mouth it a little and walk off. Don't see how killing coon to him is going to help.

Old Post 01-14-2021 04:24 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

Re: My two cents!

quote:
Originally posted by Dan&Ann
I would say a lot of this would have to do with how thick or thin your coon are in that area. My rule is if I have to swim across a river or beaver pond to get to the tree he is gonna get the lead...

I turned loose at our cabin one time a few years ago, and had a young dog go the wrong direction and get treed right in the middle of the neighbors deer camp about 1 am. When I pulled up he was already pretty mad, so I just parked my buggy between the hunter and my dog and got out and shot the coon before he could start giving me a hard time.

He was pretty peeved until I explained to him that I didnt want to tree it again.

We're still friends and to this day he lets me hunt on his land when hes not deer hunting.

Old Post 01-14-2021 09:06 PM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

It amazes me how deer hunters in many ways know so little about what does and doesn’t drive deer out of an area. Can’t begin to tell you the number of times I’ve seen where deer will just go a short ways and bed back down or return to feeding if they are NOT BEING CHASED BY DOGS.

This business of believing that hounds running coon, bear, coyote, fox, rabbit or hare scares the deer off is for the most part a bunch of crap.

Heck for the last 3 weeks I’ve had 3-6 deer every night coming within 20-30 feet of my beagle kennels to feed on acorns on the ground.

Old Post 01-14-2021 09:29 PM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Ashbaugh
Oh lord, ive read this same statement since the day i started 25 years ago. Its unreal to me that any person believes that a coonhound views going hunting as "work"....oh stop it. Any good dog i ever had lived and breathed to go hunting. They didnt need any kind of reward for doing so.

All of us do things we love or are wired to do simply because we enjoy it or its just part of our dna...dogs are the same. They dont count or keep score or require a reward. They do its because it is what they are. No more no less. I never shoot coons and my dog quivers in excitement the moment it sees my light.

Dammit, I wanted to write this.

Old Post 01-15-2021 12:39 AM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by DL NH
It amazes me how deer hunters in many ways know so little about what does and doesn’t drive deer out of an area. Can’t begin to tell you the number of times I’ve seen where deer will just go a short ways and bed back down or return to feeding if they are NOT BEING CHASED BY DOGS.

This business of believing that hounds running coon, bear, coyote, fox, rabbit or hare scares the deer off is for the most part a bunch of crap.

Heck for the last 3 weeks I’ve had 3-6 deer every night coming within 20-30 feet of my beagle kennels to feed on acorns on the ground.

I have walked around bedded deer just so they didn't get up...and they won't pay the dogs any attention whatsoever...deer hunters just don't get it...

Old Post 01-15-2021 02:38 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote