UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > The Greatest dogs in the History of the Sport.
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
treedog2345
UKC Forum Member

I agree that a pups early life goes as far if not fsrther than blood backing it. Used to be they breed brood gyps to studs and got good dogs gyps that were never in a hunt wonder why it has changed? And as far as breeding to a world ch why run to him just becouse he won why not run to his daddy or his grand daddy or find something off of his momma

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-02-2021 06:31 PM
treedog2345 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for treedog2345 Click here to Send treedog2345 a Private Message Find more posts by treedog2345 Add treedog2345 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

If a dog man or woman have an eye for a good dog and have established a top line of hunting dogs over the years which have been line bred and inbred for 5 or 6 generations...and they are consistently producing good pups and each litter seems to always have a couple of outstanding dogs...

So why is it that he or she can do this that many will say it can’t be done?

It is probably just normal for these people because he or she has an established line of dogs...and they only breed within their family of dogs most of the time...also they only breed the very best within that family...

The very best start well and don’t need to be fed lots of tracks to make a good dog...to take that dog to his highest potential then hunt them more...that’s how top athletes do it to stay on top...they don’t waste their time on a dud...

If you have to feed lots of tracks or wait 12 months before the pup hunts then we should expect the same from the offspring...at least we would be gravitating in that direction...

Getting back to the family of top producing dogs within their bloodline...one male wins a world championship and now being bred to many females...when bred within his family he produces a high percentage of good dogs...but when bred to many different females from many different bloodlines, then what would the success rate be? The percentages do not take into account the pups that aren’t given a chance or those pups that just got ruined by lack of experience from the new owner...

The dog man or woman besides breeding the best dogs know how to choose a pup as well as how to train it...and they don’t own rose colored glasses otherwise they wouldn’t consistently produce good dogs...

Bruce, in this post is probably part of the answer to why every famous dog had followers...and just as many critiques...

Old Post 01-02-2021 07:52 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

If a dog man or woman have an eye for a good dog and have established a top line of hunting dogs over the years which have been line bred and inbred for 5 or 6 generations...and they are consistently producing good pups and each litter seems to always have a couple of outstanding dogs...

So why is it that he or she can do this that many will say it can’t be done?

It is probably just normal for these people because he or she has an established line of dogs...and they only breed within their family of dogs most of the time...also they only breed the very best within that family...

The very best start well and don’t need to be fed lots of tracks to make a good dog...to take that dog to his highest potential then hunt them more...that’s how top athletes do it to stay on top...the organization does not waste their time on average players...

If you have to feed lots of tracks or wait 12 months before the pup hunts then we should expect the same from the offspring...at least we would be gravitating in that direction...

Getting back to the family of top producing dogs within their bloodline...one male wins a world championship and now there is a long line of females waiting to be bred to this world champion...when he is bred within his family he produces a high percentage of good dogs...but when bred to many different females from many different bloodlines, then what would the success rate be? The percentages do not take into account the pups that aren’t given a chance or those pups that just got ruined by lack of experience from the new owner...the percentages of good pups just dropped off drastically...

The dog man or woman besides breeding the best dogs know how to choose a pup as well as how to train it...and they don’t own rose colored glasses otherwise they wouldn’t consistently produce good dogs...

Bruce, in this post is probably part of the answer to why every famous dog had followers...and just as many critiques...

Last edited by Reuben on 01-03-2021 at 01:35 AM

Old Post 01-02-2021 07:52 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Enjoyed reading everyone's comments. What got me thinking is I enjoy reading some of the post on here, Facebook and other places on the web. I googled some of the very popular hounds of the past and I just found it amusing at the people that just had to say negative things about the foundation dogs of all our breeds.

Old Post 01-02-2021 10:10 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
V. Cannon
UKC Forum Member

It’s easy to mix up the fact there’s world class advertising on hounds then there’s world class winning coonhounds.
Far to often people will hunt with the advertised dog and expect to see the coonhound. It rarely happens.

Old Post 01-02-2021 10:56 PM
V. Cannon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for V. Cannon Click here to Send V. Cannon a Private Message Find more posts by V. Cannon Add V. Cannon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wart
UKC Forum Member

Dogs

I guess I misread the post some I was thinking you could find pups etc closer to home out of those dogs and parents etc also how many of those 1995 studs were hunted and capable of winning a major event the saddest part is this sport is not a shadow of what it was in 95 because of lost hunting areas The bottom line most of today's dogs are full of those dogs in there pedigree

Old Post 01-02-2021 11:47 PM
wart is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wart Click here to Send wart a Private Message Find more posts by wart Add wart to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Reuben
Shouldn’t a winner be the best representative of excellent hunting dogs?

If the winner cannot be a good hunting dog to be a winner...it seems to me if you breed a winner to a top hunting dog then it would be like breeding two different breed of dogs...

Many of the existing gun dog breeds today, in my opinion, have been “rebuilt” or “manipulated” to become winners in competitions regulated by rules that don’t necessarily reflect what most hunters want in a gun dog.

Not saying there’s anything wrong with that if it’s a persons choice. I believe it does make it more difficult for a person to find a pleasure dog for hunting when seeking a pup from several generations of dogs built by design to compete in trials. Now add in the money trials and you can see the hand writing on the wall!

Old Post 01-03-2021 02:21 AM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wart
UKC Forum Member

Dogs

Yes Mr Dan you are correct I remember my neighbor complaining 30 years ago about bird hunters wanting field trail stuff but I think natural ability trumps everything you can train them different ways the real problem for a pleasure hunted is the pups are now very independent and won't pack alot

Old Post 01-03-2021 02:50 AM
wart is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wart Click here to Send wart a Private Message Find more posts by wart Add wart to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote