UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Creating habitat
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

Creating habitat

Has anyone been successful stocking coons in an area where they normally are not- and having them stick around? Anything to do to try to keep them there?

Obviously feed them... but what, how often? Anything other than food to try to keep coons in an area?

Best DIY feeders to survive being on public land?

dk

Last edited by houndsound on 12-19-2020 at 03:20 PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-19-2020 03:03 PM
houndsound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
benderb4
Banned

Artificial dens in trees. Studies in past shows higher populations where greater when high density of dens existed... That said coon have been known to travel over 20 miles returning to trapped areas they were originally trapped. ..I know of instances of coon trapped and tagged for research, returned to where they were originally trapped and later being found to have traveled several miles from where they were tagged and released.

TRUTH IS TREASON IN AN EMPIRE OF LIES...G. Orwell
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING THE GOVERNMENT TELLS YOU...G. Carlin
ONLY THOSE WHO HAVE SOMETHING TO HIDE WORK RELENTLESSLY TO CENSOR THOSE WHO SPEAK THE TRUTH...Ron DeSantis

Old Post 12-19-2020 03:44 PM
benderb4 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for benderb4 Find more posts by benderb4 Add benderb4 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
delta nightlife
UKC Forum Member

My daddy in the eighties killed a coon in the south delta that was tagged from Tennessee

Old Post 12-19-2020 04:38 PM
delta nightlife is offline Click Here to See the Profile for delta nightlife Click here to Send delta nightlife a Private Message Click Here to Email delta nightlife Find more posts by delta nightlife Add delta nightlife to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
3Rivers
UKC Forum Member

Dime a dozen

We have plentiful here in my area. Wish I could give you some, I counted 7 dead last night on the road in a small stretch. Put out corn they absolutely love it. When we have corn in our feeders the trail cams pick up a dozen in a pic trying there’re best to tear up the feeders. It absolutely looks like ants on a piece of dog food. Lol

Old Post 12-19-2020 04:47 PM
3Rivers is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 3Rivers Click here to Send 3Rivers a Private Message Click Here to Email 3Rivers Find more posts by 3Rivers Add 3Rivers to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
River Birch Run
UKC Forum Member

Den's and water are needed to keep them year round. I have patch woods that keep coon in the spring and fall but when the swamps dry up in july and Aug they are not there. In the winter there are no dens. So there are just a few that hold up in holes. We have a lot of crop fields here so corn feeders don't draw many from july till the weather really gets cold. However, cat or dog food and or bread will keep them coming all yr. I can fill a 55 gallon drum with bread and they will clean it out in 3 days. 50 lbs of corn can last 2 weeks here. Now some of the patch woods have gotten dens since I started hunting them 20 yrs ago and there are coon as long as there is water near. At one of my feeders behind my house I put a stainless steel pan in the ground to keep water. In the summer the coon have it almost empty every nite. I had a blind set up there and watch them 3 nites a week for about 3 months this summer. A lot of the coon went to the water first, then to the feeders. They would always go to the water before they left as well.

Old Post 12-20-2020 03:30 PM
River Birch Run is offline Click Here to See the Profile for River Birch Run Click here to Send River Birch Run a Private Message Find more posts by River Birch Run Add River Birch Run to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Water must be available at all times...and hopefully it’s not on the other side of a busy road...

It is surprising that many folks don’t think about the availability of water...

Building freeways and clearing land for new neighborhoods is usually a terrible thing for the environment and wildlife...

We clear land for new neighborhoods and build better drainage systems go humanity but not for wildlife nor their habitat...

And the new freeways sometimes are built between wildlife
and there food and water...
It’s something that never leave my mind...
The growth is tremendous around my neck of the woods...

Old Post 12-20-2020 04:28 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote