UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > We talk about Loaners and breeding them today.
Pages (3): « 1 2 [3]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
yadkintar
Banned

Good I will call Allen tell him we are going to start having one dog hunts now you tree coon winner winner chicken dinner no need to draw no more.

You take 100% of the plus and the minus.

Tar

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-18-2019 06:03 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wildwilly0161
UKC Forum Member

Loanners

Nice post Bruce! We breed heavy for indipendence in our Hounds today. We need it to win hunts and impress freinds. There are more loaners out there today than I ever remember before but they have always been here! This is because Loaners are simply Pack leader / Alpha males and Females. They are born to eat / hunt alone!! Years ago you were lucky to get one alpha of each sex per litter. However after years of breeding for indipenecy in hounds we are raising whole litters of indipendent Alph's.
Thing is when it comes to all Dog's we canot seperate indipenency from Pack leadership mentality, because this is from where it stems!!!
they Are one and the same thing.

I breed for indipenecy every time, with no worries because all we have to do is discipline each Hound over a highly wanted food while they age. Giving them the food as a reward after each disipline. (as all wild K-9 preditors do)
then I become a true Pack Leader to my Pack leader and I enjoy hunting True Alpha's as they are also born to provide more Food and do tree more Coon !!!!

Click link to see our Upcoming library Obedience Video !! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TtkiewjtvM

Home of Dual GR.CH. !! Bad Boy Brussel !!

GR.CH.GR.NITE.CH.BRUSSEL SPROUTS ROAST
(((((((One of the smartest coon hounds on the Face of the EARTH))))))) 40 verbal comands 20 hand signals !! Amazing In the Woods!!!!
Pm for DVD Video !!

Wild Willy's Way to Complete Coon Hound Control training system / Specializing in Coonhound Control and Scent Training Scent Hounds !!! With Positive Reinforcement Methods !!! Click the link to watch WildWilly'sWay to 10 minute Loading training- Quick Tip
https://youtu.be/zUa7hT7Tbgg See a Sneak Peek of our beliefs on Off Game Breaking with this link- Off game Breaking https://youtu.be/tVouPD95P9s

Old Post 11-20-2019 08:42 PM
wildwilly0161 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wildwilly0161 Click here to Send wildwilly0161 a Private Message Click Here to Email wildwilly0161 Find more posts by wildwilly0161 Add wildwilly0161 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Wildwilly

Excellent post . Dave

Old Post 11-20-2019 11:41 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by dean jamerson
Hunted with Tar Hill Henry in early 90’s he was by himself with a coon, in fact he made a point to go the opposite direction of what every thing else did the night I hunted with him. I had a Nailor bred bitch that never made a tree with a dog from the first time she treed till i sold her, she might be 20 yards or or she might have been 1/2 mile but she was always by herself. I think these dogs have always been around, it just took someone to recognize the benefit of hunting this type of hound. I like one to do their on work, pack hunts often turn into calling contest, and if you are alone you dont have to deal with the tree jackers and the yackers around the tree. I see way more benefit to be alone than to be packed up.

Dean I really don't disagree with anything you said but there is another side of it. Been years since I comp hunted but back then most dogs did pack and there is something special when your dog takes the track out and finds the tree and the others are playing catch up. I guess I will always like the dog that can do that better than the one that gets off by himself and trees a coon.

Old Post 11-21-2019 02:26 AM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by dean jamerson
Hunted with Tar Hill Henry in early 90’s he was by himself with a coon, in fact he made a point to go the opposite direction of what every thing else did the night I hunted with him. I had a Nailor bred bitch that never made a tree with a dog from the first time she treed till i sold her, she might be 20 yards or or she might have been 1/2 mile but she was always by herself. I think these dogs have always been around, it just took someone to recognize the benefit of hunting this type of hound. I like one to do their on work, pack hunts often turn into calling contest, and if you are alone you dont have to deal with the tree jackers and the yackers around the tree. I see way more benefit to be alone than to be packed up.

Dean I really don't disagree with anything you said but there is another side of it. Been years since I comp hunted but back then most dogs did pack and there is something special when your dog takes the track out and finds the tree and the others are playing catch up. I guess I will always like the dog that can do that better than the one that gets off by himself and trees a coon.

Old Post 11-21-2019 02:26 AM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

Tom I agree with you 100% but I also like to hunt my dog by itself enough that it has enough confidence in itself to finish what it started no matter what the other dogs are doing. But I always felt a lot of pride to hear my dog take the track away from the others and get there firtest with the mostest.

Old Post 11-21-2019 11:09 AM
yadkinriver is online now Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

There is no better feeling.

Old Post 11-21-2019 01:44 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

Yep

Old Post 11-21-2019 03:04 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mike Knuckols
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
Here is a history lesson for all of the youngsters. Mr Conkey knows exactly what happened.
The loaners came about because so much tree was bred into dogs, they just treed up every tree in the woods. Since they were pack dogs, if one dog looked up a tree they all just locked down. Some say that it came to a head or maybe was just blamed on Rat Attack.
Some breeders (Barry Kiddy) had enough of this so they started developing and breeding dogs that were independant, accurate and would not tree with the others who were usually slick.
This took some time. It didn't happen in 5 or 10 years. These dogs have evolved into today's deep and alone dogs. It seems that when we try to change or "better" our dogs, we don't know where to stop. And if a certain style of dog starts winning, everyone jumps on board.

There are very very few natural loaners around . Ive seen only a couple that are natural loaners . Im sure everyone will chime up about all these loaners . The truth is if people start their pups and get them all running and treeing they then spend the rest of their time setting them up to stop them from covering / backing . Its going against nature . Hounds are pack animals . Not to say they aren't independent when they get their own track going . Dogs or the better ones would always split tree and hold pressure. I believe the loaner dogs out there , 90 % of them are man made , all in how you train them . Most started out following their momma or an old pup trainer . I could be wrong but don't think so . The loaner dog craze around here started around early 2000's . I first started seeing the guys setting their dogs up around 2008 . There is one dog around here that's a natural loaner . Combs Wheeler . quite a few of his pups are or have loaner traits and can be easily persuaded to be loaners . no one likes their hound to quit and run 600 yards to back another hound but most of the se loaners are trained that way and in the near future we wont have woods to hold them

Home of :
CH NITECH Whitemans Poison
GRCH NITECH Cold Traxx Extra Man
CH GRNITECH Kings Hardwood Ranger
UKC CH PKC CH CHKC CH Cold Traxx Man Child
GRNTCH PKC CH Hunt it off Bella
Cold Traxx Southern Honey
Cold Traxx Mattie
Cold Traxx Super Freak

Gone but never forgotten :
NITECH McFarlands Joe
Knuckols Hooker
NITECH Cypress River Chance
NITECH Cypress River Honey
NITECH Cypress River Princess
NITECH Newcombs Miss Molly
NITECH Wilsons Hardwood Ann
GRCH GRNTCH Paulding Forrest Bubba

Old Post 11-25-2019 05:38 PM
Mike Knuckols is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mike Knuckols Click here to Send Mike Knuckols a Private Message Click Here to Email Mike Knuckols Find more posts by Mike Knuckols Add Mike Knuckols to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote