UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Off Topic > The Gardening Thread
Pages (18): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

Green, but we're going to my son's tomorrow and I'm going to look for them. We're going down to help him cut some trees down. Probably won't want to take time to stop on the way down, but I'll be looking for places and try to stop on the way home. I'll let u know tomorrow night or Friday sometime if I get any.
How did u do at the hunt?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-30-2016 04:28 AM
Rex Ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rex Ridge Click here to Send Rex Ridge a Private Message Find more posts by Rex Ridge Add Rex Ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rmcmillan
UKC Forum Member

REDNECK MAFIA,
DEER WILL EAT PUMPKINS. A LOT OF PEOPLE HERE USE THEM FOR BAITING PURPOSES. THEY BUST THEM UP AROUND TREE STANDS.

Nt.Ch. Gr.Ch. Gr.WCh. Pr. McMillans Blue Crystal
Ntch. GrCh. Pr. McMillans Blue Magic
Gr.Nt.Ch. Pr. McMillans Blue Hawk
Nt. Ch. Pr. McMillans Blue Rage
all are gone now but will NEVER BE FORGOTTEN

CH. PR. MCMILLANS TREE ROCKIN BRANDY
CH. PR. MCMILLANS MIDNITES STINGIN SADIE

Old Post 06-30-2016 12:24 PM
rmcmillan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rmcmillan Click here to Send rmcmillan a Private Message Find more posts by rmcmillan Add rmcmillan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Rexridge the hunt went good he made it to the semifinals of the Pkc nationals he lost his last cast by 25 to the future champ. I'm pretty proud of both of them! Let me know about the seeds.
My son will have pumpkins planted next year he usually uses apples and corn had never heard of pumpkins.
Jen

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 07-01-2016 01:18 AM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

Congrats on making it to the semi-finals.
I got seeds today, but had to buy yellow, they didn't have any green left. Thanks for the offer to get me some, I appreciate it. We'll get these planted tomorrow and hope its not too late. A friend stopped in to visit yesterday and he said he should have lots of zucchinis and we can have some of his when they're ready....so we won't go hungry

We plant chicory and clover in one food plot and turnips in the other. One yr, we planted corn and sunflower seeds...deer really liked the sunflowers.

Old Post 07-01-2016 05:04 AM
Rex Ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rex Ridge Click here to Send Rex Ridge a Private Message Find more posts by Rex Ridge Add Rex Ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rmcmillan
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Redneck Mafia
Rexridge the hunt went good he made it to the semifinals of the Pkc nationals he lost his last cast by 25 to the future champ. I'm pretty proud of both of them! Let me know about the seeds.
My son will have pumpkins planted next year he usually uses apples and corn had never heard of pumpkins.
Jen

HAVE YOUR SON BY A FEW PUMPKINS AND BUST THEM OPEN FOR DEER THIS YEAR. JUST SEE HOW THEY WORK THERE. HECK WHEN HE PLANTS THEM, JUST PLANT THEM AMONGEST CORN ROWS LIKE THEY USED TO DO AND LET EM GROW.

THEY DO EAT SUNFLOWERS. THEY ALSO EAT THE HE!! OUT OF MY WIFES HOSTA PLANTS.

I HAVE BEEN TOLD THEY GET A LOT OF PROTEIN FROM PUMPKINS.

Nt.Ch. Gr.Ch. Gr.WCh. Pr. McMillans Blue Crystal
Ntch. GrCh. Pr. McMillans Blue Magic
Gr.Nt.Ch. Pr. McMillans Blue Hawk
Nt. Ch. Pr. McMillans Blue Rage
all are gone now but will NEVER BE FORGOTTEN

CH. PR. MCMILLANS TREE ROCKIN BRANDY
CH. PR. MCMILLANS MIDNITES STINGIN SADIE

Old Post 07-01-2016 12:12 PM
rmcmillan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rmcmillan Click here to Send rmcmillan a Private Message Find more posts by rmcmillan Add rmcmillan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

I need to get to the garden. Chuck ran the rototiller in it this Am. He said the deer didn't get anything else. He ckd his food plot yesterday and said they're really eating the chickory and tonight we saw them eating the lodi apples that are falling so maybe they'll leave the garden alone now. Blueberries are starting to get ripe and they've been after them, too. Not going to feel to bad if I can shoot one of these backyard deer this yr.

Old Post 07-05-2016 04:52 AM
Hayseedlady
UKC Forum Member

I had to look up Lodi apples, sound delicious. We just have Delicious trees & I don't see many hanging this year. Never shot a deer in the backyard but have dropped coyotes when they come in to snag fallen apples.

My cukes are coming on now, picked 8 then went weeding. Came back to find 5 & each dog was happily eating one.

Pumpkins are good for dog farts, I'll cook one down then freeze it in ice cube trays & toss in baggies. I like to save them for deer season, gamey farts are the worst. The deer leave the garden alone, it's in "dog territory" & they get chased off. Grace can pop the screen door open if anything intrudes on her territory at night.

Old Post 07-05-2016 06:00 AM
Hayseedlady is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hayseedlady Click here to Send Hayseedlady a Private Message Click Here to Email Hayseedlady Find more posts by Hayseedlady Add Hayseedlady to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

Lodi apples aren't the best eating apple, but they're great for cooking (not my idea of fun) They're alot like Yellow Transparent. My mom and mother-in-law liked making applesauce out of them. We use them for deer bait. Chuck has a trail camera in the food plot, he'll probably be putting one in the Lodi tree soon. Our Lodi tree is 24 yrs old and is the best producing tree we have. My faves r Golden Delicious, Fuji, Granny Smith and Gala. We planted Honey Crisp a few yrs ago, but haven't got anything off them yet.
I shot a deer out the backdoor once and out of the barn once. Missed a couple in the orchard which is in our side yd. My tree stand is only about a 150 yds from the house. I usually get a deer out of it.
Didn't know dogs would eat cukes. My Rat Terrier has been out barking at something for an hr, but I'll put her in the house when I go to bed. Ruby and her stay in the house at night and Dandy and Seven go to the barn.

Old Post 07-06-2016 07:06 AM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Getting a few tomatoes and cucumbers but neither are producing great. I have not saw one bee around here I think the Japanese beetles ran them all off! Okra is coming along pretty good. My one tomato bed that I built last fall I think the soil is still to hot, the plants are growing good but the leaves on the ends are curling and plants have very few blooms the one cherry is the only plant in it doing much good. I don't know if I limed it now if it would be to late I had an old timer tell me if its to hot this year next year it ought to be perfect. He also told me to gently shake the plants to help with pollination with the lack of bees. I am checking into hives and how to get started. Mom's big garden we usually can out of is not doing well, we usually can 100+ quart of tomatoes and juice and green beans till we get tired of snipping and snapping. The beetles ate the bean plants is what's up with her mators corn looks great though.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 07-20-2016 04:27 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

Everything the deer and bugs didn't eat is still alive!! Has lots of growing to do until we get anything. Deer seem to be leaving it alone at the moment....probably because apples are falling and the chickory Chuck planted for them is doing well.
A friend gave us zucchini n cucumbers last wk, 😋 yummy!

Last edited by Rex Ridge on 07-21-2016 at 05:57 AM

Old Post 07-20-2016 05:08 PM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Went to the gas station at Peoria, a little town of about 10 people 3 or 4 miles from me today and there was a big tub of free veggies. The lady running the station fixed me up a bag, at least sometime around here has an over abundance.

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 07-21-2016 06:10 AM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Gonna have fried okra with supper tonight it seems to be the only thing doing a lot right now. The cherry tomatoes are doing pretty good but would take alot of them to make a batch of salsa or to can. The non producing tomatoes are getting blooms though and a few little mators are growing. I put some bone meal on the soil last week hoping maybe that would help them along.

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 08-01-2016 10:09 PM
GA DAWG
UKC Forum Member

Worst garden ever been here. We planted late. Didn't rain for a month. Rained a couple days. Beans and stuff came up. Quit raining again for several weeks. Beans didn't grow. Squash hardly came up. Now it's blooming but no squash forming. Tomato plants shriveled up and died. I jhave a few cantaloupe. A watermelon lol. Fixing to plow it all back up and plant the turnip greens. Was not a good yr here.

Old Post 08-01-2016 11:46 PM
GA DAWG is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GA DAWG Click here to Send GA DAWG a Private Message Click Here to Email GA DAWG Find more posts by GA DAWG Add GA DAWG to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hey Preacher!!!
UKC Forum Member

Here's something I can't figure out. I planted both zucchini (which is a type of squash, I thought), and yellow squash. The zucchini has been producing wonderfully, but the yellow squash not so much. I got a few early, but now they shrivel and die when only about an inch long. Any ideas?

...", nevertheless I am not ashamed, for I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that He is able to keep what I have committed to Him until that Day" - 2 Timothy 1:12

"Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation that we can not be trusted with arms for our own defense?" - Patrick Henry

"Those who would give up essential Liberty,to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety" - Benjamin Franklin

Old Post 08-02-2016 12:32 AM
Hey Preacher!!! is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hey Preacher!!! Click here to Send Hey Preacher!!! a Private Message Find more posts by Hey Preacher!!! Add Hey Preacher!!! to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

A friend has been bringing us zucchini and cucumbers and he's been picking our blue berries and Lodi apples. My mom and SIL got apples, too. Don't think the deer are too happy that we're giving their 🍎s away. Mom gave us 🍏sauce and Chuck's sister said she'd make us a pie. She's a great cook, she bakes and sells pies...yummy!!
The garden looks pretty good, we got some much needed rain on Saturday. Nothing is ready yet. I think the one 🍅 plant is getting a fungus. Gotta get after Chuck to get them sprayed.

GA, sorry to read about ur garden. Chuck just sprayed Roundup on the first sweetcorn we planted. He's going to plow it down and probably plant turnips for the deer.

Old Post 08-02-2016 01:25 AM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

GADawg my garden has been a battle all summer. I pulled up the squash and cucumbers just died the tomatoes are finally looking better and the okra but u picked a ton of Japanese beetles from the orka ladt night. Mom's big garden is in the bottom just up from a creek usually produces enough we can green beans, tomatoes and freeze corn to last till the next summer it's so bad dad is gonna Bush hog it down this week. Corn did ok but everything else just died or didn't come up. It's usually the kind that makes you slow down when driving by, it's usually beautiful.
Micheal you asked about fleas in front page we have used NexGard for last couple of years and have zero fleas or ticks on the dogs it is a monthly pill/chew buy the one up to 120lbs and cut in half I pay just under $20 for them. There is also bravecto and another new one that came out this year that last 3mo. Use permetherin on the ground and diatamaceous earth in your dog houses it's cheap and works.
Hey Preacher is it blossom end rot? I think is caused by a fungus but check for squash bugs they can destroy plants and produce.

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 08-02-2016 04:11 PM
Hey Preacher!!!
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Redneck Mafia

Hey Preacher is it blossom end rot? I think is caused by a fungus but check for squash bugs they can destroy plants and produce.

I know its not bugs, and I bought some liquid for blossom end rot, but it didn't help.

...", nevertheless I am not ashamed, for I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that He is able to keep what I have committed to Him until that Day" - 2 Timothy 1:12

"Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation that we can not be trusted with arms for our own defense?" - Patrick Henry

"Those who would give up essential Liberty,to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety" - Benjamin Franklin

Old Post 08-02-2016 09:34 PM
Hey Preacher!!! is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hey Preacher!!! Click here to Send Hey Preacher!!! a Private Message Find more posts by Hey Preacher!!! Add Hey Preacher!!! to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

The liquid for blossom end rot doesn't seem to be too effective. This fall try applying a good coating of gypson. Another application next spring before planting wouldn"t hurt either. Real effictive for most veggies and melons. Won't change the ph either.

Old Post 08-02-2016 10:41 PM
yadkinriver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hey Preacher!!!
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkinriver
The liquid for blossom end rot doesn't seem to be too effective. This fall try applying a good coating of gypson. Another application next spring before planting wouldn"t hurt either. Real effictive for most veggies and melons. Won't change the ph either.

Much appreciated!

Old Post 08-03-2016 01:48 AM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by yadkinriver

That's like ground up sheet rock dust ?

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 08-03-2016 02:31 AM
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

Yes one and the same. Calcium. Most effective thing I've ever found for Blossom end rot. Real good on melons and cantaloupes. Got 53 Ambrosia cantaloupes off of 12 hills this year. Throw a handfull around your wifes roses and earn some brownie points. It is considered a soil conditioner and it works.

Old Post 08-03-2016 02:26 PM
yadkinriver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

Narurally I misspelled it. It's Gypsum. I get it at the local fertilizer house in 40# bags for around 6.00 a bag.

Old Post 08-03-2016 03:40 PM
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

Has anyone tried milky spore for Japanese beetles? We bought it yrs ago to put around our blueberries.

Old Post 08-04-2016 03:09 AM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

My daughter is teasing me that these beetles are stalking me, everywhere I go they are there. We are the doctors office 3 stories up and one lands on the window, I take the grandson to White Water in Branson minding my own business floating in the wave pool and here comes a Japanese beetle to float with me! I have spent hours hand picking, spraying and dusting just when I think they are gone they show up with friends.
In the bright side we got some much needed rain this morning.
Jen

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 08-07-2016 04:02 AM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

My daughter is teasing me that these beetles are stalking me, everywhere I go they are there. We are the doctors office 3 stories up and one lands on the window, I take the grandson to White Water in Branson minding my own business floating in the wave pool and here comes a Japanese beetle to float with me! I have spent hours hand picking, spraying and dusting just when I think they are gone they show up with friends.
In the bright side we got some much needed rain this morning.
Jen

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 08-07-2016 04:02 AM