UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Off Topic > The Gardening Thread
Pages (18): « First ... « 16 17 [18]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Nathan Harder
UKC Forum Member

I got the rest of my garden in this weekend before some showers started. Then we ended up with some nickel sized hail. Surprisingly enough, it wasnt too heavy and everything seemed to have made it.

We need some rain. The two lakes that fill the river, the Corps of Engineers dumped the levels expecting spring rains that never came. Really messed up my spring river catfishing expeditions. Going to head to a nearby lake in the morning to try out the bite.

What does everyone have planted this year?

Iraq War Vet 03-04, 05-06
RECON
618-410-3034

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-09-2023 06:31 AM
Nathan Harder is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nathan Harder Click here to Send Nathan Harder a Private Message Click Here to Email Nathan Harder Find more posts by Nathan Harder Add Nathan Harder to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nathan Harder
UKC Forum Member

I got the rest of my garden in this weekend before some showers started. Then we ended up with some nickel sized hail. Surprisingly enough, it wasnt too heavy and everything seemed to have made it.

We need some rain. The two lakes that fill the river, the Corps of Engineers dumped the levels expecting spring rains that never came. Really messed up my spring river catfishing expeditions. Going to head to a nearby lake in the morning to try out the bite.

What does everyone have planted this year?

Iraq War Vet 03-04, 05-06
RECON
618-410-3034

Old Post 05-09-2023 06:31 AM
Nathan Harder is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nathan Harder Click here to Send Nathan Harder a Private Message Click Here to Email Nathan Harder Find more posts by Nathan Harder Add Nathan Harder to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkinriver
Was wondering if you ever found Milorganite. Hope you have as much success with it as I have and several friends that have been using it. Finally got all my garden in last week. All I have up now are my beets but got them in early.

I asked my husband to ask at the feed store, he forgot. We usually don't plant any plants until after Memorial Day because if there's a full moon the first of June, we'll get frost.

Old Post 05-10-2023 12:34 AM
Rex Ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rex Ridge Click here to Send Rex Ridge a Private Message Find more posts by Rex Ridge Add Rex Ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RC-Abby
UKC Forum Member

HAPPY MOTHERS Day!

A BIG Shout out to all you moms out there. HAVE A GREAT DAY!

Randi

Old Post 05-14-2023 03:42 PM
RC-Abby is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RC-Abby Click here to Send RC-Abby a Private Message Find more posts by RC-Abby Add RC-Abby to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Thanks Randi!
Mom's garden is coming up and looking good. The basics mainly corn, green beans, cucumbers and tomatoes.
Tyler had planted anything you can think of. He said I'll plant it and then you girls can take care of it lol. The goats got out several times and were eating the sprouts that were coming up and a pup pulled up the garden stakes. The goats are now locked in a big coral and instead of just planting in the bare spots he disk up the whole thing with the tractor. Now it's been to wet to get back in it to replant and will likely be like a jungle when we do and everything comes up in random places that's been disked under lol!

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 05-16-2023 04:58 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

Thanks Randi. Hope Jenn and you had a nice Mother's Day.
We have a Frost Warning for tonight, that probably means no fruit this year.
We had asparagus last night with supper. I thought we had enough that we could freeze half, but my husband thought he could eat whatever I didn't want and he was right

Old Post 05-17-2023 11:12 PM
Rex Ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rex Ridge Click here to Send Rex Ridge a Private Message Find more posts by Rex Ridge Add Rex Ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RC-Abby
UKC Forum Member

Frost!

We have a frost advisory for to night also. Not taking a chance. I have all the plants under plastic buckets. Chris fixes a cookie sheet full of asparagus every night when she gets home form work. I make sure it is all gone. Only have enough for 4 nights left. Once a year thing and I like it. Would like to get my sweetcorn planted tomorrow.

Randi

Old Post 05-18-2023 02:27 AM
RC-Abby is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RC-Abby Click here to Send RC-Abby a Private Message Find more posts by RC-Abby Add RC-Abby to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RC-Abby
UKC Forum Member

Frost Sweetcorn And Rain

We did have frost on some roofs around. Windshields were frosty and tractor seat had some on. Very little to be seen on the grass.
Got 16 rows sweetcorn planted today. (300 ft long) Getting a nice shower as I type.

Randi

Old Post 05-20-2023 02:50 AM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Better late than never!

After Tyler tilled the planted garden under after the goats ate it then it rained and rained. Sunday he re-worked it again and yesterday evening and today Ash and I got it all planted again except for tomatoes and peppers. I'm thinking we'll just buy some good sized plants to put in the ground. It's supposed to rain again tomorrow, perfect timing. We've got a pretty long growing season with our first frost usually in late October. Harvesting will be a little later than normal but still plenty of time for a nice garden to grow.
She's so proud her asparagus patch is coming up but disappointed she won't get any to harvest for a couple of years.
Lettuce, onion, green beans, corn, both zucchini and yellow squash, cucumbers, butternut squash, watermelon, pumpkin, cantaloupes, potatoes and okra. Tomato and pepper plants soon and maybe some carrots oh and the herbs! I planted flowers along the edge #1 they look pretty and #2 they attract pollinators! My great grandmother planted over an acre garden when I was a little girl. I remember her pushing an old plow and canning over an open fire outside in a big metal drum. She had a fear of pressure cookers exploding and enjoyed her old ways of doing things. The front row of her garden was always flowers. It was the one of those perfect looking gardens, the kind I envy when I see one like it.
We'll do alot of canning if it does well and make some baby food too. I've always made food for the grand babies. It's nice to know where their first foods come from!

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE

RIP
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 05-24-2023 03:22 AM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RC-Abby
UKC Forum Member

Jen

Your last post brings back memories. My Grandmother and Aunt always had a great garden. They canned and froze from it all summer and ate from it all year around. I can remember the ole boiler canner sitting on the wood fired cook stove. Man the kitchen would get so hot you couldn't hardly breath. All the doors and windows were wide open to let heat out. Sure was good eaten though. Just had to share.

Randi

Old Post 05-24-2023 11:14 PM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Thinking back now I wonder what Great Gandma Bartlett did with all that food! There is no way 1 little old lady could have consumed it. Sure she shared with family but she could have supplied a farmers market for the summer! She lived to be almost 85 and died suddenly while rebuilding a wood box my uncle hadn't built to her specks going strong her way until then. I remember once when I was a little girl we arrived at her house at 8 am to help with the garden and she commented to my dad that she thought we were coming early. I'd guess that she had been out there with her old push plow since dawn and we were lately lol! Great memories! She also grew cotton. I asked her why once and she just said she didn't know why she just always had. She'd give me a big bag of cotton balls every year.
Down here we've finally caught up on rainfall and everything is green and growing. Cheyenne's flower beds and mom's garden are looking great. The farmers are just starting to bale hay this last week. The weather has been beautiful and the weatherman is calling for rain Tuesday, fingers crossed. Ashton has been putting the sprinkler on ours since the rain missed us Wed.
Happy gardening Everyone! Jen

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 05-28-2023 04:35 AM
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

Cheyennes flower beds? lol
Had to come back and edit this post. Thought you was funning us but one of our friends set me straight. Sure can't criticize Chey for liking flowers. Seems to be an humble winner, something you seldom see anymore. Doesn't strut and crow just lets his winnings speak for him. As far as flowers, when my ex pulled out I inherited a rose bush, a desert rose and some african violets that I have kept alive. Even had to divide and repot the violets and gave every little bluehaired beauty in the community one that wanted one to the amusement of some of my buddies.
Have a great Memorial Day and an even better day to google "Angel Flight".

Last edited by yadkinriver on 05-29-2023 at 01:21 PM

Old Post 05-28-2023 02:09 PM
yadkinriver is online now Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
Cheyennes flower beds? lol
Had to come back and edit this post. Thought you was funning us but one of our friends set me straight. Sure can't criticize Chey for liking flowers. Seems to be an humble winner, something you seldom see anymore. Doesn't strut and crow just lets his winnings speak for him. As far as flowers, when my ex pulled out I inherited a rose bush, a desert rose and some african violets that I have kept alive. Even had to divide and repot the violets and gave every little bluehaired beauty in the community one that wanted one to the amusement of some of my buddies.
Have a great Memorial Day and an even better day to google "Angel Flight".

Oh they are definitely his! And he has one heck of a green thumb!
That's awesome to give those violets to the blue haired ladies! Don't pay any attention to the naysayer buddies. They may wish for pies or future companionship from a blue haired lady and are just jealous they didn't have any violets to pass around!

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Last edited by Redneck Mafia on 05-29-2023 at 11:59 PM

Old Post 05-29-2023 11:30 PM
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

In some borders where i usually keep sprayed I have something growing called purslane. My sister says its a good addition to salads. If anyone has ever eaten it I'd appreciate some info.

Old Post 06-02-2023 04:09 PM
yadkinriver is online now Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
In some borders where i usually keep sprayed I have something growing called purslane. My sister says its a good addition to salads. If anyone has ever eaten it I'd appreciate some info.

I've never eaten it but it's supposed to be really good for you and high in all sorts of vitamins. Add some to a salad and let us know how it is. You may google what is the best part of the plant and when to pick. Dandelion is best when the greens are young it's kinda like lettuce if you let it go to long it's bitter.

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 06-07-2023 04:06 AM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Mom has been canning green beans this week. She just sent me home with a bag of fresh. Green beans, new potatoes with bacon and onion is on the menu!

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 06-20-2023 09:14 PM
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Redneck Mafia
I've never eaten it but it's supposed to be really good for you and high in all sorts of vitamins. Add some to a salad and let us know how it is. You may google what is the best part of the plant and when to pick. Dandelion is best when the greens are young it's kinda like lettuce if you let it go to long it's bitter.
I mixed some in a salad and couldnt tell it was in it. It may be healthy but it sure is invasive. Spray it with Roundup and it comes back even thicker.

Old Post 07-18-2023 05:59 PM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
I mixed some in a salad and couldnt tell it was in it. It may be healthy but it sure is invasive. Spray it with Roundup and it comes back even thicker.

Don't eat what you spray lol!!
We have zucchini running out our ears down here. Mom's tomatoes are really starting to produce. Been hot but we've still been getting a little rain to keep things going. Being it's July we'll take all the man upstairs wants to give!

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 07-19-2023 04:01 AM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:

Don't eat what you spray lol!!
We have zucchini running out our ears down here. Mom's tomatoes are really starting to produce. Been hot but we've still been getting a little rain to keep things going. Being it's July we'll take all the man upstairs wants to give!

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 07-19-2023 04:01 AM
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

LOL I didn't eat where I had sprayed. I won't spray in my garden either but this stuff is starting to come up everywhere.
My greenbeans and beets are done and gone, okra just coming in. Cantaloupe patch looking real good and it won't be long before they start turning. Squash is finally slowing down but the cukes are still producing. Got my first tomato July 4th just now starting to come in strong. Overall a good year for gardening even after a late spring. Think February was warmer than may.

Old Post 07-19-2023 01:59 PM