UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Breeds > Treeing Walkers > What to breed to first time
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
gwhunter
UKC Forum Member

Please delete What to breed to first time please delete I don't know how I did this

UKC Front Page :: Hunting Programs :: Dog Events :: Registration :: UKC Store

UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Breeds > Treeing Walkers > What to breed to first time

Last Thread Next Thread
Author
Thread

gwhunter
UKC Forum Member

What to breed to first time
I'm not a competition hunter I just pleasure hunt with a couple friends and my grand kids. I quit hunting about 20 years ago and just started back about 3 years ago to teach the grand kids. I don't know much at all about the new stud dogs out there so I thought I would ask all of you your opinion. This will probably be the only litter of pups I'll raise I'm on the older side. Would like to get a good pup for my grand daughter and grand son. My female is young and doing a fair job she isn't finished yet but coming along pretty good. Any suggestions would be appreciated thanks to all.

****************Grntch Nocturnal Nailor
************Grntch Nocturnal Skipper
*****************Grntch Hardwood Freckles
********Wldntch Grntch X Jr
****************Grntch Rock River Sackett Jr
************Grntch Hardie's Bigtime Trixie
*****************Grntch Sellars Trixie
*****Grntch High Expectations
*****************Grnitech Balls Stylish Hickory Nut Harry
*************Grntch Turpins Stylish Rube
*****************Grntch Night Heat Abby
*********Wldntch Grntch Boldens And Turpins Insane Jane
*****************GrntchNocturnal Nailer
**************GrntchnNailors Hurricane Jane
*****************Grntch Waltz Hurricane Jane
**Female
*****************Grntch Hard Knocking Stylish Hayes
**************Grntch Balls Stylish Hickory Nut Harry
*****************Grntch Schmersals Stylish Anna
**********Grtnch Stylish Zip Code
*****************Grntch Nocturnal Nailor
**************Grntch Huffs Nocturnal Rose
*****************Grntch Abbotts Big Horn Daisy
*****Grch Hainz Fabulous Sonic Pistol
*****************Grntch Rock River Sackett Jr
**************Grntch BabesStylish Banjo
*****************Ntch Lippers Stylish Babe
**********Ntch Hainz Fabulous Stylish Rose
*****************Ch Briar Cliff Quint
**************Grch Briar Cliff Racie
*****************Briar Cliff Polly

Last edited by gwhunter on 01-29-2014 at 08:25 AM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

01-28-2014 11:51 PM

ole hoss
UKC Forum Member

Medleys hardwood lockbox. Quick starting natural pups. Independent and they are born treeing coons. Keiths a down to earth man to boot. Easy to talk to.

01-29-2014 01:07 AM

jjlute
UKC Forum Member

Tom Purdy's Rambler dog sounds like a good cross. He puts coons in trees. You don't walk to many empties with him. His oldest pups are just 2 years old and are coon treers.

937-243-3003 is Tom's number. Give him a shout, you won't meet a nicer guy then Tom.

This is his stud ad - http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthrea...399#post5367399

This is his pup ad -
http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthrea...eadid=928340465

01-29-2014 09:23 AM

easttncooner101
UKC Forum Member

You're in ohio heck you've hit the stud dog jack pot breed to boogar hollow mojo. Or mojo mason mojo has won everything

01-29-2014 09:58 AM

gwhunter
UKC Forum Member

First litter
Thanks for the response I don't know much about the dogs in my females pedigree I picked her out as a pup after doing a little research on High X I had never done that before I always raised my own. I've seen these dogs on the board they sound like good intelligent studs. Because of my ignorance I don't know what will cross good on her that's why I'm checking things out with those that have hunted or know some of the offspring of some studs here in Ohio. I appreciate all the help I can get she won't be in for a few months yet I just want to do the best I can.

01-29-2014 10:46 AM

pastor
UKC Forum Member

Aker's Little Joe he is #3 on the current reproducers list throws early starting huge mouth coondogs call Steve Akers 419-594-2033 he is in Ohio

01-29-2014 10:56 AM

backwoodshunter
UKC Forum Member

Buck fork dollar he is close to u he is double Skuna river bred and Skuna river dogs are independent loud mouth straight up coon dog if my old female wouldn't of passed that's what I woulda done

01-29-2014 11:28 AM

Hunter Reese
UKC Forum Member

Mojos mason

01-29-2014 12:26 PM

Cole sensabaugh
UKC Forum Member

Buck fork dollar

01-29-2014 01:34 PM

dhill9321626711
UKC Forum Member

mojo I have hunted three or four pups out of mojo all you need to do is put them in the woods they do the rest

01-29-2014 02:47 PM

Jason Gillespie
UKC Forum Member

Dollar would cross well on her!

01-29-2014 02:50 PM

brad garner
UKC Forum Member

she would cross good on hardwood bean great dog and owner

01-29-2014 03:11 PM

prostockpat
UKC Forum Member

anything off skuna river bark
grnitech buck for dollar{ky.}
grnitech pkc ch skuna river midnight moe{mo.}

01-29-2014 03:21 PM

jimbob_walker
UKC Forum Member

I don't really like to get into discussions on what people should breed to, but I will tell you what I would do if I was in your shoes.

breeding to me is a little more complicated than what is at the top of the stud dog page. you will get a ton of offers from stud owners wanting you to breed to their dog. not for the purpose of you getting what YOU want. so far I have not yet read a post from you describing the female you want to breed in any detail, yet you have several replies. people can take guesses at what she lacks and excels in but no one can tell better than you.

this is where picking a stud comes in. first you said your dog isn't finished so you must not have all the bugs worked out but recognize she does have some. if you do a in cross those bad habbits she may have could be more dominate in her pups. if you like everything about her and wouldn't change a thing you could breed her back to her daddy if those traits mainly came from him. if they mainly came from the momma and she got most of her traits from her daddy you could breed make to him.

no if you decide an out cross is best for you, what I would do is write down the flaws you see in your dog. what your trying to do is breed to a stud that puts those good traits into his pups. say she has a real hot nose and you want a medium nose. then you want to get on here and ask what studs is putting a colder nose in his pups along with the other traits you are wanting and your female is lacking. seems all stud ads pretty much say the same thing" super dooper coondog" which doesn't help out when looking for specific traits.

some may agree and some will disagree but this is only what I would do if it were me. not telling you what to do just trying to help out. I wish you luck on whatever stud you pick. by the way I only own one male dog. he is a beagle and is line bread like crazy. hope I helped

01-29-2014 05:40 PM

gwhunter
UKC Forum Member

Thanks jimbob
I appreciate all the info very well stated. I am very critical of my dogs and hard on them at the same time. I'm fair but at the same time I don't put up with very much. She has treed two possums and ran one deer all of which she was corrected for. She has treed coons by herself and seems to be a pretty good track dog. She handles cold tracks differently but don't babble. I have just recently been hunting her some by herself. She was started late do to my wife having cancer. She wasn't hunted hard at all till she was about 17 months old. She minds we'll and handles pretty good I can tone her and she will come back to me if not doing anything. Lately she has been a little week on tree but I discovered my old female was showing aggression to her till I got to the tree. She trees hard after I get there so I'm going to hunt her now by herself till her confidence is stronger. She didn't start treeing till she was around 19 months old but when she did she was there. Those are her bugs but I think all can be worked out she hunts out good now for the area I live in. She is a blanket back all black and white with just a littl tan on her face. She could make a good show dog but I don't fool with that. Thanks to everyone who responds I really appreciate the info.

01-29-2014 06:34 PM

jimbob_walker
UKC Forum Member

sending you a quick pm GW.

01-29-2014 07:29 PM

bowling
UKC Forum Member

Sounds like your female is well on her way to being a nice hound go hunt with a few stud dogs and see how they compare to what you have if a stud owner want show his dog or pups out of him beware . I will show my stud or any of. My young dogs out of three different females any time and would like to see your female go as well. Wish you the best of luck on whatever you breed to there are some nice stud dogs out there with honest owners wanting to improve the breed.

01-29-2014 07:52 PM

gwhunter
UKC Forum Member

Btt

02-13-2014 10:38 PM

Tate Pumphrey
UKC Forum Member

Stylish trader or bone collector

02-13-2014 10:55 PM

Jamie Thurman
UKC Forum Member

Best advise I can give u is find a stud that throws the traits u like and that your female is lacking make sure that is the traits he puts in his pup not what he posses because just cause he has those traits don't mean he will pass them to his offsprings if the stud does not have enough pup on the ground to go by do your homework and find out what bloodline consistently passes those traits

02-14-2014 04:59 PM

yadkinhoundsman
UKC Forum Member

Insane cain or stylish clyde they will compliment the bugs in your female and insane cain (Xjr. x insane jane) and stylish Clyde is insane janes littermate they should both cross good on your female and both are producing balanced hounds

02-16-2014 12:25 AM

Bengie Bengala
UKC Forum Member

You are more then welcome to come and check out Dozer. I will turn him loose along with Dozer Jr and Hoe (Dozers offspring). Dozer is directly off of Skuna River Fred, who is one of the all time reproducers. Dozer is putting some really nice pups on the ground. If you like them Big, LOUD, and Accurate then here you go. We are located in North Eastern Ohio (Kinsman)

Check out Dozers thread.

http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthrea...threadid=490353

Last edited by Bengie Bengala on 02-16-2014 at 01:00 PM

02-16-2014 12:58 PM