UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > I would like to ?
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
yadkintar
Banned

I would like to ?

Hunt with one of those 70% accurate dogs down here in my woods for a week. Every year at this time the wheels fall off a lot of good dogs.

Tar

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-16-2020 04:52 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tar

Are you saying that you can follow a sure enough accurate coon dog for a hard week of hunting? Lol. I can not speak for you, but a hard week behind a coon dog would put a hurt on me, that's for sure. Seriously, the real accurate dogs should stay accurate no matter where they are hunted, but I have seen water affect dogs that were not used to water everywhere. I expect accuracy period no matter where I am hunting. Dave

Old Post 01-16-2020 07:03 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

They won’t be going very far very fast unless they hit a road or an opening lol.

Tar

Old Post 01-16-2020 07:39 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Tar, some of 'em don't have to go far or fast to tree a coon.

Old Post 01-16-2020 09:58 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Donald I know but when you have dogs that are around you that have even won world champioships and you are on a creek padded out with coon tracks ? One night you might be 3 for 3 then the next night you might get 1 slick 2 dens and a hole that counts against your 70% accurate every night dog.

When it’s good it’s good when it ain’t it ain’t no matter who’s dog it is.

Tar

Old Post 01-16-2020 10:17 PM
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

When it’s good it’s good when it ain’t it ain’t no matter who’s dog it is.

Tar that has been my experience for 60 years. I have heard about dogs that didn't ever have a bad night but I never have hunted with one. When I think back on the dogs that I hunted with a lot (and they weren't mine) that I remember as the best I hunted with, I can still recall coming in at 3-4 maybe even daylight because we couldn't get a coon treed.

Old Post 01-16-2020 10:26 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Team Mafia 2
UKC Forum Member

Now Tar are you getting old and blind or what??? There are 2 kinds of dogs one that might have a coon and a dog that is gonna have a coon. Those ones that might have a coon are probably struggling the ones that are gonna have a coon May not get treed or may be 2 miles but that average isn’t going to go down any. All dogs will have a bad night but I’m not gonna pack one that has less than 70% of its coons any night. I’ll just keep driving to the next county over and picking them up if they aren’t moving.

Dalton Cummings
918-533-6545

Old Post 01-17-2020 05:01 AM
Team Mafia 2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Team Mafia 2 Click here to Send Team Mafia 2 a Private Message Click Here to Email Team Mafia 2 Find more posts by Team Mafia 2 Add Team Mafia 2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tar/Tom

Having a bad night is one thing, treeing 3 to 4 slicks a night is unacceptable to me. I have hunted the mountains, the swamps and the flat ground and NEVER had a slick treeing problem with any dog that I keep and feed. I have tried some that were slick treers but they never got to eat my feed. Hunting terrain should never be an excuse for a dog to slick tree and I don't pay any attention to titles either, World Champion or Platinum Champion makes no difference if they are not accurate in Jan and Feb, I would not have them as a gift. Dave

Old Post 01-17-2020 05:05 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Vic Stoll
UKC Forum Member

Re: I would like to ?

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
Hunt with one of those 70% accurate dogs down here in my woods for a week. Every year at this time the wheels fall off a lot of good dogs.

Tar

C’mon now tarbaby, don’t be crawfishing on us!

90% plus accurate dogs are a common thing on the UKC interweb, just read a few threads, lots of folks have them! 70% is a cull, just read on the interweb!

Gone but not forgotten:
Nt Ch Fanny's Midnite Blue Annie - aka Sodie Pop R.I.P. - I will miss you old girl

Nt Ch Becky’s Midnite Blue Hank - R.I.P. Old Boy, thank you for the memories

Gr Nt Ch S&E's Midnite Lite Blue Snow (Co-Owned with my good friend Harry Eidenier) - We had a blast following you ole girl!

Old Post 01-17-2020 05:17 AM
Vic Stoll is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Vic Stoll Click here to Send Vic Stoll a Private Message Find more posts by Vic Stoll Add Vic Stoll to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Clovis A Nailor
UKC Forum Member

I haven't been coon hunting long as most folks I started hunting in 1978. But in my short time coon hunting I've noticed them 90% accurate dogs accuracy record is kept in a 1 night period. In a 2 week accuracy record kept in looking at actual coon eyes I would say them 90% dogs go to around 30%. I have had some go 3 nights at 100% and then the same dogs go to 10% the next week. So i would say if you got a dog that consistently shows you coons most every night it's a keeper.

Old Post 01-17-2020 10:31 AM
Clovis A Nailor is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Clovis A Nailor Click here to Send Clovis A Nailor a Private Message Click Here to Email Clovis A Nailor Find more posts by Clovis A Nailor Add Clovis A Nailor to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Re: Re: I would like to ?

quote:
Originally posted by Vic Stoll
C’mon now tarbaby, don’t be crawfishing on us!

90% plus accurate dogs are a common thing on the UKC interweb, just read a few threads, lots of folks have them! 70% is a cull, just read on the interweb!

Vic like I said I got dogs that I hunt with that are a lot better than mine and they have bad nights. They ain’t no such thing as 70% accurate over a period of time.

Mines 50/50 either I see the coon or I don’t. And sometimes it’s not the dogs fault when I don’t lol.

Tar

Old Post 01-17-2020 12:02 PM
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

Wet rotting leaves, rutting boars running during the day and dog a that takes what comes first. I bet if the ground was frozen during that same time frame they'd looked better.

Old Post 01-17-2020 12:21 PM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JB Cobb
UKC Forum Member

During the 80's my hunting partner and I had a pair of females that were by far as accurate as I've ever seen. They weren't flashy and operated as a team and would always be together I can't recall them ever splitting from each other. Hides were high and we hunted 5-6 nights a week and killed more coons per season than I've killed in the last 15 plus years combined. Walking into a tree they made I never questioned if they were going to have him.. You might have to cut it down to see him but he was going to be there. If either one opened as much as 3 times they would tree him.. If you left them alone bever ponds cutover didn't matter they would tree him in due time. These days I wonder if he's got him on the way to every tree 😂

Old Post 01-17-2020 12:36 PM
JB Cobb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JB Cobb Click here to Send JB Cobb a Private Message Click Here to Email JB Cobb Find more posts by JB Cobb Add JB Cobb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Tar, I just don't understand you not believing in accurate dogs. I agree that at different times of the year it is very hard to find some of these coon. But that is not the dogs fault and a good dog will still have them even if you can't find them.

I look at it like this.
If I was going to ride a bicycle and 50% of the time I was going to fall off it. Why would I continue to ride a bicycle. If the bicycle was faulty and causing the falls. Why would I keep it.
The only coon hunters content to walking to 50% trees have to be the ones that have very easy walking conditions and just like to hear a dog barking up a tree. And then I would still consider why they would do it.
I am not going to kill snake after snake, trip over log after log thats underwater I can't see. Get ate up by skeeters and sweat like a pig. Just to look up a tree with a dog barking on it.
Any game or type of competition men play. There is a purpose and achieving that purpose usually brings you close to winning or feeling like your playing the game correctly. How in the world does anyone walk to slick tree after slick tree and not see that something is wrong. Then continue to do it.

Old Post 01-17-2020 01:17 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Bruce anytime your dog strikes a track it cannot work and simply drops it and goes on deeper and strikes a hot one it can handle its percentage goes down. If it trees three coons one night then strikes two tracks the next and has no coon the good night don’t make up for the bad. Everywhere I have ever hunted this time of year accurate dogs start missing almost to the point your so glad you have an excuse and glad it’s a den lol. Our tracks are long and cold the boars are looking for girls way before the sun goes down. Now I will say maybe a hot nosed dog that on bad nights just don’t open on nothing but short hot coons might have a better percentage. But I like track work and sometimes the coon wins in my country.

Tar

Old Post 01-17-2020 01:30 PM
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Tar, I want to apologize. When you started out talking, I assumed you were talking about the percentage of coon in the tree when the dog treed.

I see now your talking about the percentage of tracks finished with a coon in the tree.

If you want to talk about a can of worms. Dig into peoples minds about if their dog treed the coon they first smelled. Or did they swap tracks 1, 2 or more times on the way to the tree.

I have seen many times a coon in a ditch, a coon on the side of the road. Dump a dog after seeing which way the coon went. Dog goes different direction and trees a coon.

Old Post 01-17-2020 03:14 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Re: .

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce m. Conkey
Tar, I want to apologize. When you started out talking, I assumed you were talking about the percentage of coon in the tree when the dog treed.

I see now your talking about the percentage of tracks finished with a coon in the tree.

If you want to talk about a can of worms. Dig into peoples minds about if their dog treed the coon they first smelled. Or did they swap tracks 1, 2 or more times on the way to the tree.

I have seen many times a coon in a ditch, a coon on the side of the road. Dump a dog after seeing which way the coon went. Dog goes different direction and trees a coon.

And I seen then act like that coon never existed ! I learned to not turn them loose on a coon that crosses the road for at least 10 minutes then they can smell it.

Tar

Old Post 01-17-2020 03:19 PM
JasperBlue18
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: .

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
And I seen then act like that coon never existed ! I learned to not turn them loose on a coon that crosses the road for at least 10 minutes then they can smell it.

Tar

I turned my hound loose on every one I seen cross the road where I knew I safely could do so and he had no problem treeing them quickly. Never knew I was supposed to wait 10 minutes before I cut him loose lol

Old Post 01-17-2020 03:30 PM
JasperBlue18 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JasperBlue18 Click here to Send JasperBlue18 a Private Message Find more posts by JasperBlue18 Add JasperBlue18 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CHEWBACH
UKC Forum Member

Re: Tar/Tom

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
Having a bad night is one thing, treeing 3 to 4 slicks a night is unacceptable to me. I have hunted the mountains, the swamps and the flat ground and NEVER had a slick treeing problem with any dog that I keep and feed. I have tried some that were slick treers but they never got to eat my feed. Hunting terrain should never be an excuse for a dog to slick tree and I don't pay any attention to titles either, World Champion or Platinum Champion makes no difference if they are not accurate in Jan and Feb, I would not have them as a gift. Dave
Well said. X-2

Old Post 01-17-2020 03:36 PM
CHEWBACH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CHEWBACH Click here to Send CHEWBACH a Private Message Find more posts by CHEWBACH Add CHEWBACH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Re: Re: Re: .

quote:
Originally posted by JasperBlue18
I turned my hound loose on every one I seen cross the road where I knew I safely could do so and he had no problem treeing them quickly. Never knew I was supposed to wait 10 minutes before I cut him loose lol

Sometimes they lift their scent sow coons can do it to protect their young.

Tar

Old Post 01-17-2020 03:41 PM
yadkintar
Banned

Re: Re: Tar/Tom

quote:
Originally posted by CHEWBACH
Well said. X-2

Oh what do you know ?

Tar

Old Post 01-17-2020 03:42 PM
Richard Edinger
UKC Forum Member

I had one of the hardest coonhunters that walked tell me one time if your dog has a coon every time he trees you're missing alot of coon. It took me alot of thinking to understand that statement.

Old Post 01-17-2020 03:45 PM
Richard Edinger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Edinger Click here to Send Richard Edinger a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Edinger Find more posts by Richard Edinger Add Richard Edinger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Trueblood85
UKC Forum Member

Reading through this some claim slick trees bring down the percentage of accuracy then say it's when the dog can't work the track. This is 2 different issues, one being acceptable and one NOT. A dog that can't work the track and gives up or moves on, ok maybe a bad night but a dog that gives up and starts treeing a slick tree is a liar. I do not understand why anyone would consider that acceptable behavior from a finished coon dog.
When talking about trees I've got to walk to anything less than 70% better start improving real fast or they have no right to have their genes passed. 80% I can tolerate, but I still don't like it.

Old Post 01-17-2020 03:46 PM
Trueblood85 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Trueblood85 Click here to Send Trueblood85 a Private Message Find more posts by Trueblood85 Add Trueblood85 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Team Mafia 2
UKC Forum Member

You boys are going to think I’m lying and that’s ok. A boy that lives south of us about 30 minutes had a dog he called Jerry. The dog is dead and gone now but he was a big hard hunting steal mouth dog. The last kill season he hunted him the dog made 187 trees and he knocked out 153 single coon to him. Ty is as honest as they come. The type that if he said a rooster dips snuff if you pick up his wings your gonna find his can. I watched the dog make 35 trees in 6 nights of hunting in December and had 35 coon on the outside. He was hands down the best I’ve ever seen at having a coon.

Dalton Cummings
918-533-6545

Old Post 01-17-2020 03:49 PM
Team Mafia 2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Team Mafia 2 Click here to Send Team Mafia 2 a Private Message Click Here to Email Team Mafia 2 Find more posts by Team Mafia 2 Add Team Mafia 2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Trueblood85
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Edinger
I had one of the hardest coonhunters that walked tell me one time if your dog has a coon every time he trees you're missing alot of coon. It took me alot of thinking to understand that statement.

I understand what he's saying but if your dog just treed slick seems like he missed that one too. Personally I'd rather leave a few than hike to a dog treeing air.

Old Post 01-17-2020 03:54 PM
Trueblood85 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Trueblood85 Click here to Send Trueblood85 a Private Message Find more posts by Trueblood85 Add Trueblood85 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote