UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Buck skin plott???
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Oh my goodness Mr Conkey, have you not considered that those Redbone breeders might have been breeding for exceptional pleasure hounds and not competition dogs? While the walker and English breeders were breeding for dogs that won hunts and got titles, those Redbone breeders were breeding for dogs that were a pleasure to hunt.
And Mr Clovis, If every Redbone man you knew was saying that the tide had turned, you didn't know many Redbone men.

Last edited by Richard Lambert on 01-14-2020 at 01:45 PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-14-2020 01:41 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Richard I did consider that. But actually considered that more in the plott breed than I did in the redbone breed. If the data is studied carefully you will see that only half the pups from the top plott studs were registered. That means as you stated. Most were going to hunting homes and not competition homes. I hope they made good ones.

Here is my Buckskin Plott pup from about 45 years ago. Genetics as good as the plott breed had at that time and better looking than most redbones. The best of both worlds in one pup. But the wisdom of the breed leaders at that time said we can't allow that. LOL

Old Post 01-14-2020 03:59 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wart
UKC Forum Member

Plotts

Folks what about all the white still on some of the plotts you see brindle is a dominant color and you see white feet toes also white under the bellies these are crossbred dogs to me there's no way a plotts with generations of brindle dogs behind them should have that much white still showing anybody with any common sense knows what's going on

Old Post 01-14-2020 04:16 PM
wart is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wart Click here to Send wart a Private Message Find more posts by wart Add wart to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Richard the truth is. I am probably more frustrated with the breeders of other breeds than I am the Redbone Breeders and Plott Breeders. If only a red dog is what you want then YES you have to put restrictions on the gene pool. Same thing with the brindle plott. Nothing really wrong with making that decision. But you live with the outcome. Not saying there are not enough quality pups to keep a smaller group of followers happy. But Breeders should look at and see what limiting the gene pool or following the pattern of limiting the gene pool accomplished in those two breeds. A lot more pleasure dogs than competition dogs.

Here is what frustrates me and I feel the reason is for personal recognition over quality from the breeders. Take walkers or English or blues. Many actually limit the gene pool by selfish reasons and breed from stock with their names on the papers.
The more you breed the same family of dogs you are doing the same thing that breeding for color has done to the redbones and plotts. So you end up with all these crazy walkers, etc. Breeding is not for the faint of heart. You have to have a vision and understanding. Most results are not in a litter or the first generation. Most time the second generation has the results you wanted to see in the first generation. You just then carefully have to move forward but not so tight that your breeding yourself into a hole. Anything that limits the gene pool hurts a single breeding program or a breed over a period of time. Don't take my word for it. Study data that has been provided over the years.

Last edited by Bruce m. Conkey on 01-14-2020 at 04:22 PM

Old Post 01-14-2020 04:19 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Trueblood85
UKC Forum Member

Bruce: That was a good looking pup and I agree with your logic on breeding.

I'm all for keeping a breed of dog pure, just my preference. But, if breeding a good registered plott to a good registered plott creates some buckskins here and there, I don't see why not breed good to good even it was the buckskin that turned out to be good. Hopefully now that x-breeds are able to be registered, people won't feel the need to try and "create" buckskin with crossing then register as plott.

"IF" buckskin was bred to buckskin couldn't they still throw full litter of brindle pups, like labs throwing off colors?

Old Post 01-14-2020 06:07 PM
Trueblood85 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Trueblood85 Click here to Send Trueblood85 a Private Message Find more posts by Trueblood85 Add Trueblood85 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Clovis A Nailor
UKC Forum Member

Now Mr. Lambert you know I don't know too many Redbone men it would be impossible to know more than 4 in Arkansas.

Old Post 01-14-2020 06:51 PM
Clovis A Nailor is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Clovis A Nailor Click here to Send Clovis A Nailor a Private Message Click Here to Email Clovis A Nailor Find more posts by Clovis A Nailor Add Clovis A Nailor to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Clovis

Arguing with a Red Bone man is like kissing your sister, not much fun is it? Mr. Lambert suggests that the goal is producing pleasure dogs over competition dogs that win, I say that the goal should be both in the same dog. A dog that's a pleasure to hunt every night, but still a winner in competition. All of the top coon dogs that I have owned and/or hunted with were both. Dave

Old Post 01-14-2020 07:45 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
100%hunter
UKC Forum Member

mr richards

now mr dave you know your asking to much out of a pure red bone!!!! lol.

Old Post 01-14-2020 09:37 PM
100%hunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 100%hunter Click here to Send 100%hunter a Private Message Find more posts by 100%hunter Add 100%hunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
100%hunter
UKC Forum Member

mr richards

now mr dave you know your asking to much out of a pure red bone!!!! lol.

Old Post 01-14-2020 09:37 PM
100%hunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 100%hunter Click here to Send 100%hunter a Private Message Find more posts by 100%hunter Add 100%hunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

100%hunter

You may be right....Lol. Seriously, I have seen and hunted with a couple decent red bones, but more of a pleasure dog than competition dog. I liked their mouth track and tree, but the hustle just was not there. It takes more than just treeing a coon to suit me. Dave

Old Post 01-15-2020 02:43 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Re: Clovis

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dave Richards
[B]Arguing with a Red Bone man is like kissing your sister, not much fun is it?

Didn’t have no sister but had a bunch of pretty cousins lol.

Tar

Old Post 01-15-2020 12:12 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
100%hunter
UKC Forum Member

mr richards

i agree on a couple, maybe that's why they were crossed on the plott's to try and get more hustle, should have used a walker for that buuuut would have to explain the color. lmbo

Old Post 01-15-2020 01:35 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

How timely this is. I always thought that a bucksin Plott was like a buckskin horse. Last night I pulled up to a hunting spot and there was a truck there and a couple of Plott men. One of them was leading the prettiest Redbone. When I started making fun of him, he said that it was a buckskin Plott. Why do they call them buckskin when they are red? Now I see what all of the fuss is. Pleasure hunting is one thing but I can not imagine why in the world a Plott man would want to show up at a hunt with a red dog. It would be like a Redbone man showing up with a black and tan colored Redbone.

Old Post 01-15-2020 01:59 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

Richard it wasn't a buckskin plott. It was really a redbone. He was just ashamed to admit it.

Old Post 01-15-2020 06:14 PM
yadkinriver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
100%hunter
UKC Forum Member

Mr tar

x2

Old Post 01-15-2020 10:54 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Mr. Lambert

I have seen buckskin Plotts and NEVER did one look like a Red Bone, they just took you snipe hunting without any snipe. Lol. Dave p.s. a true buckskin Plotts is a light yellow buff color, darker red indicates red bone infusion in the pedigree, ALL the old timers know this.

Last edited by Dave Richards on 01-15-2020 at 11:08 PM

Old Post 01-15-2020 11:00 PM
stonehill
UKC Forum Member

With buckskin and black both in the breed I think there is obviously going to be some saddleback black and tans start showing up. No brindle just a saddleback hound. Now these dogs are not solid black or buckskin or brindle so would they be allowed to be registered ?

A houndsmans drive is not the thrill of the kill it's the sound of the hound !!!

Old Post 01-16-2020 07:04 AM
stonehill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for stonehill Click here to Send stonehill a Private Message Click Here to Email stonehill Find more posts by stonehill Add stonehill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Blackjackplott
UKC Forum Member

Stonehill, the color your are talking about has been around for many years most people call them a hi tan color .

Old Post 01-16-2020 07:38 AM
Blackjackplott is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Blackjackplott Click here to Send Blackjackplott a Private Message Click Here to Email Blackjackplott Find more posts by Blackjackplott Add Blackjackplott to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Trueblood85
UKC Forum Member

Blackjackplott

Seeing that your a plott person, would you please share your thoughts and opinions of the original post?? Would be nice to hear from a plott person on these issues although the walker, redbone, etc guys have had interesting input so far.

Old Post 01-16-2020 01:32 PM
Trueblood85 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Trueblood85 Click here to Send Trueblood85 a Private Message Find more posts by Trueblood85 Add Trueblood85 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Oh my goodness, can you register a high tan Plott now and call it a buckskin?

Old Post 01-16-2020 03:22 PM
gpent24
UKC Forum Member

If there were any buckskin plotts that were that good around someone would of already registered it x breed and got it in the hunts prior to the rule changes. At least that is what i would have done. I pleasure and competition hunts plotts, when someone has a buckskin that starts winning consistently I wouldn't have any problem breeding a female to him. But why would you try to find a buckskin when there are dogs around that have won a ton like logan or copper. Think about the plott breed as a pool. I'd say in ALL the plotts that are out there maybe 15-20% will actually consistently tree coons on their own. Then there is probably only one buckskin plott out of every 15 litters of pups or more probably. So your chances of getting a buckskin plott that will tree a coon is low low. It's just the nature of the breed.

Old Post 01-16-2020 03:50 PM
gpent24 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gpent24 Click here to Send gpent24 a Private Message Click Here to Email gpent24 Find more posts by gpent24 Add gpent24 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Trueblood85
UKC Forum Member

Gpent24

That all sounds legit and makes sense but here's my dilemma: I put a deposit for 1st pick female, litter was born with 3 females(2 of which were buckskin), so chances are the best pick may not be brindle. I'm looking for talent not color(in plotts) and being new to the breed I was wondering what the different thoughts would be.

Old Post 01-16-2020 04:08 PM
gpent24
UKC Forum Member

what line of plotts is this litter out of. I don't know many lines that throw many buckskin consistently.

Old Post 01-16-2020 04:33 PM
gpent24 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gpent24 Click here to Send gpent24 a Private Message Click Here to Email gpent24 Find more posts by gpent24 Add gpent24 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

The following post speaks volumes to me and I think others should probably dig deeper into what is being said.
[bIf there were any buckskin plotts that were that good around someone would of already registered it x breed and got it in the hunts prior to the rule changes. At least that is what i would have done. I pleasure and competition hunts plotts, when someone has a buckskin that starts winning consistently I wouldn't have any problem breeding a female to him. But why would you try to find a buckskin when there are dogs around that have won a ton like logan or copper. Think about the plott breed as a pool. I'd say in ALL the plotts that are out there maybe 15-20% will actually consistently tree coons on their own. Then there is probably only one buckskin plott out of every 15 litters of pups or more probably. So your chances of getting a buckskin plott that will tree a coon is low low. It's just the nature of the breed.[/b]

That is speaking from the view point of today. With all respect the leaders of the Plott breed made their decisions 60 years ago or more to eliminate the Buckskin Plott. I am not questioning if that was right or wrong but it was the path they wanted to follow.
But think about this. When the Buck Skins were eliminated from the breeding pool. What percentage of decent dogs went with them. Another way of saying it if this was 60 years ago is. Eliminating Buck Skins that had a certain percentage of decent dogs back then. Did you throw out the baby with the bath water and lower the positive gene pool of the plotts that would have been carried on as buck skins.

Old Post 01-16-2020 04:44 PM
Trueblood85
UKC Forum Member

Gpent24

quote:
Originally posted by gpent24
what line of plotts is this litter out of. I don't know many lines that throw many buckskin consistently.

I'm going to leave the breeders name out of it unless they decide to put it out there themselves. From reading and asking other plott folks, he has a good reputation and a strong line of dogs and best I know the litter of 9 is already spoken for. Not sure if this cross throws buckskins often or just created a couple this time.

Old Post 01-16-2020 08:37 PM