UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Buck skin plott???
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Trueblood85
UKC Forum Member

Buck skin plott???

What are the different thoughts and opinions of the buckskin plotts?? If given the opportunity, have there been any that were exceptional coon dogs? Other than color, has anyone noticed any other traits good or bad? If 1 turned out to be a good dog then was bred for its ability, shouldn't brindle still be the predominant color of pups? When picking a pup from a litter, would you look over the buckskin even if it appeared to be the better choice?

Thank you for all opinions and thoughts on this.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-13-2020 12:17 AM
Trueblood85 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Trueblood85 Click here to Send Trueblood85 a Private Message Find more posts by Trueblood85 Add Trueblood85 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Why would you pick a buckskin? Why not just pick a brindle?

Old Post 01-13-2020 01:54 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gpent24
UKC Forum Member

I've never seen a buckskin plott pleasure hunting or otherwise that i would breed to or haul to a comp hunt. And i have hunted with a lot of plotts.

Old Post 01-13-2020 02:48 PM
gpent24 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gpent24 Click here to Send gpent24 a Private Message Click Here to Email gpent24 Find more posts by gpent24 Add gpent24 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Trueblood85
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
Why would you pick a buckskin? Why not just pick a brindle?

Well, I would certainly pick the brindle if it appears to be a dominant pup. My question is, if the buckskin is obviously the dominant pup at the time of picking would it not be considered because of its color????? I understand allowing the buckskin to be registered opens the door for stupidity and greed to get in the way of proper breeding programs, but for this discussion I'm more interested in if the dominant pup is buckskin, Why not pick it?

Old Post 01-13-2020 05:37 PM
Trueblood85 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Trueblood85 Click here to Send Trueblood85 a Private Message Find more posts by Trueblood85 Add Trueblood85 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

The unkind words feelings towards a buckskin plott hurt my heart 50 years ago and they still do today.

Old Post 01-13-2020 07:58 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Trueblood85
UKC Forum Member

The best I can tell from searching and reading it seems like it's a case of "a few bad apples ruined thr whole barrel"

Old Post 01-13-2020 08:15 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Trueblood85
......if the dominant pup is buckskin, Why not pick it? [/B]

Because if it makes a good coondog, it is still a buckskin. If you are going to take a chance and put all of the time it takes to train a coondog, why pick one that won't be recognized?

Old Post 01-13-2020 08:54 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Blackjackplott
UKC Forum Member

They can be recognized now in ukc .

Old Post 01-13-2020 09:28 PM
Blackjackplott is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Blackjackplott Click here to Send Blackjackplott a Private Message Click Here to Email Blackjackplott Find more posts by Blackjackplott Add Blackjackplott to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Some might say the bad apples were the narrow minded people and not the dogs. But they made their choices.

Old Post 01-13-2020 09:32 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bob Hennessey
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
Because if it makes a good coondog, it is still a buckskin. If you are going to take a chance and put all of the time it takes to train a coondog, why pick one that won't be recognized?

Why wouldn't it be recognized? Better read the plott standard.

You can't fix STUPID!

Old Post 01-13-2020 09:33 PM
Bob Hennessey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bob Hennessey Click here to Send Bob Hennessey a Private Message Find more posts by Bob Hennessey Add Bob Hennessey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Trueblood85
UKC Forum Member

Re: .

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce m. Conkey
Some might say the bad apples were the narrow minded people and not the dogs. But they made their choices.

You are exactly right.

Bob, your signature says it all.

Old Post 01-13-2020 09:49 PM
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Bob I dont want to speak for Richard. But I think he is saying by the rules you should not register a buckskin plott. I didnt know that or was told that when I purchased a beautiful one 50 years ago. That pup made a nice hound. I followed the rules and never registered it.

Old Post 01-13-2020 09:56 PM
yadkintar
Banned

The first full hound that I owned I was ten years old that was given to me as a pup was a buckskin plot I called him bouncer big ole ball mouth run rabbits and tree squirrels in the day and tree anything that climbed at night.

Tar

Old Post 01-13-2020 10:01 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Trueblood85
UKC Forum Member

The UKC changed this year, I believe, where a buckskin can be registered now. From the little bit of reading I've done, they put a stop to registering buckskins years ago due to people cheating the papers with redbone crosses and others breeding just for color and for fear of those types of people ruining a breed of dogs they stopped allowing the buckskin to be registered. That is my understanding/opinion so far anyhow but PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong.

Old Post 01-13-2020 10:28 PM
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

All I know is I saw a litter of ukc plott pups advertised in our local newspaper down in miami, fl. This was probably 45-46 years ago. I went and picked the best looking one to me. It was a buckskin plott. After getting it home and starting to talk to plott men. Including Dale Brandenbuger. I found out and read with my own eyes. That buckskin plotts should not be registered. It was kind of a rule of conduct you followed as ukc didnt come check your pup but they werent allowed in shows or hunts. Anyway I never sent the papers in. The pup made a nice good looking hound. rules are rules. I may not like them, I may have my opinion on them. I also try to follow them.

Last edited by Bruce m. Conkey on 01-13-2020 at 11:26 PM

Old Post 01-13-2020 11:22 PM
100%hunter
UKC Forum Member

Trueblood85

So what yours saying is buck skin plott's would be fine if someone would'nt have bred redbones into plott's ? lol

Old Post 01-13-2020 11:39 PM
100%hunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 100%hunter Click here to Send 100%hunter a Private Message Find more posts by 100%hunter Add 100%hunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

I think the red dogs and plotts both would have been better off with buckskin plots being registered lol

I am a firm believer in larger gene pools and not smaller ones to draw from. Big BUT coming here. Larger gene pools work but you have to cull. People wont cull smaller gene pools because they feel ownership and owning a turd only stinks up things for generations to come.

Old Post 01-13-2020 11:51 PM
Bill(Chew)
UKC Forum Member

Yes, you can now register both all black and buckskin plotts per the Plott Assoc. My understanding is you need the buckskin to keep the brindle on the dogs.

Old Post 01-14-2020 12:17 AM
Bill(Chew) is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bill(Chew) Click here to Send Bill(Chew) a Private Message Click Here to Email Bill(Chew) Find more posts by Bill(Chew) Add Bill(Chew) to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bob Hennessey
UKC Forum Member

From the Plott standard: COLOR any shade of brindle( a fine streaked or striped pattern of dark hair on a lighter back ground or lighter streaks or stripes on a dark background brindle with a black saddle and black with brindle trim, SOLID BUCKSKIN and SOLID BLACK. Some white on chest and feet is permissible as is a graying effect around jaws and muzzle. All things being equal brindle is preferred.
I would hope Bench Show judges read the new 2020 standard for Plotts .

You can't fix STUPID!

Old Post 01-14-2020 12:21 AM
Bob Hennessey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bob Hennessey Click here to Send Bob Hennessey a Private Message Find more posts by Bob Hennessey Add Bob Hennessey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Trueblood85
UKC Forum Member

Re: Trueblood85

quote:
Originally posted by 100%hunter
So what yours saying is buck skin plott's would be fine if someone would'nt have bred redbones into plott's ? lol

Well with my limited knowledge, the buckskin(or fawn) color is part of brindle genetics. So yes the buckskin is a plott color. The only reason plott enthusiast voted to not allow buckskins to be registered years ago was for fear of people trying to breed just for the color(and yes, throwing a red dog in the mix seems to have been taking place). With that being said it's easier to not allow a buckskin to be registered than it is to police foolish breeders, which is sad. But again money seems to be the root of evil again. And if I'm wrong, again please correct me.

100%hunter: what is wrong with a buckskin other than it not being able to be registered in the past? Please explain more than lol

Old Post 01-14-2020 01:55 AM
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Here is something I have seen for years and have put a lot of belief in it.

If you look at the information that UKC published you will see a trend in the breeding of these dogs.

I just googled and found a Nov. 2019 top reproducing sire list.
Two breeds have very poor showings on the list. Actually have had poor showing on every list ever published.
Plott only has 5 males and out of over 300 pups 7 are grand nites.
Redbones have 11 Grand nights out of their top producers.

Now pay attention. Both those breeds have had restrictions on breeding to maintain color. You think it is just chance that the two breeds with the tightest restrictions on breeding also have the lowest number and percentage of champions.

If the breed is happy with those decisions on color. Who am I to say they shouldn't have them. But I can tell you by UKC data. Those decisions over the years didn't equate to producing hunt champions. It might equate to producing show champions with legs about the size of pencils. But that is OK. Just don't get any white on a red dog or loose any brindle on a plott.

Old Post 01-14-2020 06:34 AM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Bruce Conkey

Exactly why the Plotts and Red Bones are low on the totem pole , foolish rules more interested in color than producing TOP COON DOGS. Well, they pretty much get what they deserve and will continue to do so until they BREED for quality over looks. Dave

Old Post 01-14-2020 07:07 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Clovis A Nailor
UKC Forum Member

Every off colored coondog man I ever knew was a purist to their breed and very loyal to their breed of choice. And looks means everything. I myself will breed to a Cocker Spaniel if I think it will make a coon treeing machine.

Old Post 01-14-2020 09:50 AM
Clovis A Nailor is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Clovis A Nailor Click here to Send Clovis A Nailor a Private Message Click Here to Email Clovis A Nailor Find more posts by Clovis A Nailor Add Clovis A Nailor to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Clovis A Nailor
UKC Forum Member

The beagle boys have almost every color the coon boys have. I know some that will only hunt a bluetick beagle but if they know where a beagle is that will help their breeding program they will go get a piece of it no matter the color. They will just keep the blue ones for themselves and sell the none blue ones. I know a fox hunter that will only hunt a white hound but if he is getting out ran every Saturday night you bet he's going to breed to that dog that's kicking his butt he will just keep a white pup for himself. I always thought the main objective of coon hunting was to get a coon treed not the color of a dog. No matter the breed of a Coonhound most have the same basic build. Some are big and houndy built some are small and narrow built no matter the color or breed. I do remember awhile back a little red dog with a big white patch on her chest that was doing some winning and every redbone man I knew was bragging on how the tide was turning for them. I think her name was get ahead little red. That white patch on her chest didn't matter when she was winning.

Old Post 01-14-2020 10:30 AM
Clovis A Nailor is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Clovis A Nailor Click here to Send Clovis A Nailor a Private Message Click Here to Email Clovis A Nailor Find more posts by Clovis A Nailor Add Clovis A Nailor to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Clovis A Nailor
UKC Forum Member

I have a big redtick colored male dog he it just a classic English colored dog now the dog is only 1 eighth English the rest Walker. I hunted with a English dog man that I have known for years but we don't really hunt together much. Got the dog out the box and buddy the English dog man was saying what a fine looking English dog. Cut him loose and just went out there and got a coon treed in fine fashion. Now the English man was telling me, see now you got a real coondog your hunting a English dog see the difference from the Walker dogs now you got some sense. Then I showed him the cross bred papers that said very little English. All the sudden my big fine English coon treer was getting picked apart all the sudden the Walker dog flaws started showing up in him.

Old Post 01-14-2020 11:03 AM