UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Sibling reproducers
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Tim Green
UKC Forum Member

Sibling reproducers

I’ve been really studying pedigrees lately and crosses that seem to have worked or certain dogs that reach the status of reproducers. One thing that makes me curious is the siblings and what separated them....for example:

Old South Stylish Rebel and Ball’s Stylish Hickory Nut Harry

Insane Cain and Insane X

Rat Attack and brothers

Sackett Jr....did he have a brother

LIPPER and....well his brother

List goes on and on...

Was it just volume of females that separated them or what

You even see it on the females....you’ll here, such and such stud dog crosses great on “fill in the blank” females. I tend to believe it is all about genetics. Certain genes produce voice volume, tree power, track power, desire to hunt, cold nose/hot nose, and looks obviously. We see these in crosses that has been made.

Winning percentages is training....alone or pack is trained, and accuracy is also trained,

So With all that, is there a difference in breeding to siblings? Does anyone believe that stud owners that have owned siblings in the past got them mixed up in the breeding pen and the same results occurred.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Last edited by Tim Green on 12-22-2019 at 10:49 PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-22-2019 10:46 PM
Tim Green is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tim Green Click here to Send Tim Green a Private Message Click Here to Email Tim Green Find more posts by Tim Green Add Tim Green to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wart
UKC Forum Member

Studs

30 years ago the most popular studs like nailor ,sackett Jr, swamp rooster had a whole army hunting pups for them but not anymore there's still a few dogs getting bred some but not many the numbers game has a lot to do with also the man studding lipper in mo. told me 1 good cross can make a stud dog just look at xjr. and insane Jane cross

Old Post 12-22-2019 11:54 PM
wart is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wart Click here to Send wart a Private Message Find more posts by wart Add wart to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Well we all know ford makes ford and Chevy makes Chevy and the Chinese make cheaper knock off parts that fit both and work just the same.

Tar

Old Post 12-23-2019 12:35 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rgregory
UKC Forum Member

Littemates or full siblings can be as different in actions and genetic as unrelated dogs from my experiences.

Old Post 12-23-2019 11:33 AM
rgregory is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rgregory Click here to Send rgregory a Private Message Click Here to Email rgregory Find more posts by rgregory Add rgregory to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Travis Brown
UKC Forum Member

I can't think of one example of two littermates dominantly throwing the same characteristics in a large percentage of their offspring.

Home of :
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Peggy 4/91-1/02
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Little Peg 6/98-3/08
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Haley 8/02-11/13
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Taylor 3/05-11/17
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Rotten 10/08-2/13
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Midge 12/10-1/21
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Jessie 4/14-
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Lilly 5/19-

Old Post 12-24-2019 05:39 PM
Travis Brown is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Travis Brown Click here to Send Travis Brown a Private Message Click Here to Email Travis Brown Find more posts by Travis Brown Add Travis Brown to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tim Green

Tim, I disagree on accuracy being trained, ALL of the really accurate digs that I have owned or hunted with were naturally accurate dogs. Now you may correct some dogs and improve their accuracy, but the natural are still the most accurate dogs, more so than a man made dog. Accuracy to me is a natural trait that one does not have to train to get in a dog. Dave

Old Post 12-24-2019 09:13 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tim Green
UKC Forum Member

Re: Tim Green

Dave,

I understand what your saying, but would you say accuracy is improved upon by repetition. Basically the more a dog is hunted, they have more experience with the old ring tail’s tricks. I don’t think you can teach true treeing ability or tracking ability. Those are obviously inherited.

What lines of walkers in your experience have been born with above average accuracy? Just different than others.

Thanks

Tim

Old Post 12-24-2019 09:48 PM
Tim Green is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tim Green Click here to Send Tim Green a Private Message Click Here to Email Tim Green Find more posts by Tim Green Add Tim Green to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tim Green

Yes, I think repetition is what makes a dog better, they are born with the ability, but it has to be honed over time. My hunting buddy age 82 in Jan. Is very fond of the word repetition, he is one of the best trainers around and he knows that giving a dog the hunting time it needs is the way you sharpen a dogs skills. No different than a man that practices his trade, he gets better with time from repeating the same action over and over and learning from his mistakes. I will get the pedigree from 2 of the most accurate dogs I have seen in many years and post their bloodlines, both are Walker dogs. Dave

Old Post 12-24-2019 10:21 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

When he said accuracy is trained for, it was like finger nails on a blackboard.

Old Post 12-24-2019 11:25 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc
When he said accuracy is trained for, it was like finger nails on a blackboard.

Years ago I always started my young dogs on squirrels ( I like to eat them lol) I can’t remember a one that was good on squirrels that was good also and accurate on layup coons at night and when I went to giving them coon they broke their self off squirrels.

Tar

Old Post 12-25-2019 01:11 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pigsit
UKC Forum Member

id quit looking at the dogs, and look at the breeders, some breeders have the ability to put pups on the ground that consistently perform, and I think most of them have a family of females that consistently reproduce.

Dual GRNTCH Wendy
GRNTCH Cola
GrNtCH Honky Tonk Rock and Roll
Dual GRCH Bumper
Dual CH June
Dual CH Jill

Old Post 12-25-2019 01:33 AM
pigsit is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pigsit Click here to Send pigsit a Private Message Click Here to Email pigsit Find more posts by pigsit Add pigsit to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Clovis A Nailor
UKC Forum Member

It's all about who gets the pups.

Old Post 12-25-2019 01:53 AM
Clovis A Nailor is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Clovis A Nailor Click here to Send Clovis A Nailor a Private Message Click Here to Email Clovis A Nailor Find more posts by Clovis A Nailor Add Clovis A Nailor to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
randywoodard2
UKC Forum Member

And who does the advertising! Some couldve ran a beagle at stud and people would hunt the pups

Pr.Woodards Late Night Trix

Old Post 12-25-2019 12:46 PM
randywoodard2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for randywoodard2 Click here to Send randywoodard2 a Private Message Click Here to Email randywoodard2 Find more posts by randywoodard2 Add randywoodard2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

GOOD POINT! Randy

Old Post 12-25-2019 02:03 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I wonder how many of those $5,000 weaning puppies titled out or won world hunts ?

Tar

Old Post 12-25-2019 02:12 PM
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by pigsit
id quit looking at the dogs, and look at the breeders, some breeders have the ability to put pups on the ground that consistently perform, and I think most of them have a family of females that consistently reproduce.

I totally agree...look at the breeder... I believe the breeder that produces consistency knows exactly what he is doing...he knows which dogs to breed and probably has that feel on picking the right pup...he also knows exactly what a great coon dog is and makes no excuses for a hunting dog...he doesn’t change directions because of a new fad...fads will change...but in his minds eye the ultimate coon dog standard never changes...

My opinion on how I think the top coon dog breeders operate...

Merry Christmas everyone!

Old Post 12-25-2019 02:48 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dean jamerson
UKC Forum Member

I have fooled with a lot of different pups over the last 25 years, usually bought two at a time to start, picked which one i liked and moved on. Only on one occasion did both pups turn out and were pups i could take to town and win with, and they had different styles in how they did their work. I still like to get pups out of sires and dams that have littermates that are hunted and tree coons, even though they may have different styles, and they may not all be in the top 1% but in my opinion you stand a better chance of getting something if there are syblings produce game. The pups that show up here with the right stuff to start with make me look like a good dog trainer, the ones that have shown up here without the right stuff make me look like a rookie!

Old Post 12-25-2019 04:04 PM
dean jamerson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dean jamerson Click here to Send dean jamerson a Private Message Click Here to Email dean jamerson Find more posts by dean jamerson Add dean jamerson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Travis Brown
[B]I can't think of one example of two littermates dominantly throwing the same characteristics in a large percentage of their offspring

I can. Tennessee Big Wheel and Tennesse Fiddler were two brothers that were #1 and #2 reproducers in the black and tan breed that were outstanding reproducers. They even had a half brother named General Jackson that reproduced real good. All were sired by Tennessee Wheeler.

Old Post 12-25-2019 05:52 PM
yadkinriver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Clovis A Nailor
UKC Forum Member

The best stud hound in the world might be in a pleasure hunters dog pen. And that pleasure hunter is not going to promote that dog. He might raise one litter keep one give the rest away to other pleasure hunters. Most wil be a mix of the most popular bloodlines of the day except the last 2 generations which will be 'pr' In short it's the numbers of pups and which competition hunter is promoting either the stud the dog is out of or with hopes of making a stud which will be bred good or no one will breed to a dog that has 2 grnts. in the 3rd generation. So who got the litter mates to oh so and so? I right now have the litter mate to 1 of the most popular stud hounds of the day and is fine hound and has never been in a hunt.

Old Post 12-25-2019 07:21 PM
Clovis A Nailor is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Clovis A Nailor Click here to Send Clovis A Nailor a Private Message Click Here to Email Clovis A Nailor Find more posts by Clovis A Nailor Add Clovis A Nailor to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hittman
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Clovis A Nailor
The best stud hound in the world might be in a pleasure hunters dog pen. And that pleasure hunter is not going to promote that dog. He might raise one litter keep one give the rest away to other pleasure hunters. Most wil be a mix of the most popular bloodlines of the day except the last 2 generations which will be 'pr' In short it's the numbers of pups and which competition hunter is promoting either the stud the dog is out of or with hopes of making a stud which will be bred good or no one will breed to a dog that has 2 grnts. in the 3rd generation. So who got the litter mates to oh so and so? I right now have the litter mate to 1 of the most popular stud hounds of the day and is fine hound and has never been in a hunt.

I agree. Your best dogs are pleasure dogs. You have to study your lines and know where to cross and what to cross. If you lack a trait in your bloodline your cross to gain that. When I was growing up with my grandpa I paid attention to everything he taught me. He was a die hard pleasure hunters that raised some of the best hounds I have ever walked behind.

My dad also studies his bloodline. I have the same bloodline in my pens and I will build my version from there

And hounds are breed with abilities that some dogs dont have. But most of your hounds are made in your training methods. I personally dont believe in shocking collars. I believe in hands on training.

Lucky I hunted with old generation coonhunters because my grandpa. I listened and payed attention. Time will tell if what I learned will pay off.

Merry Christmas everyone and happy New year

Last edited by Hittman on 12-25-2019 at 09:58 PM

Old Post 12-25-2019 09:56 PM
Hittman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hittman Click here to Send Hittman a Private Message Click Here to Email Hittman Find more posts by Hittman Add Hittman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Clovis A Nailor
UKC Forum Member

In the Walker breed (The House That Lipper Built) you would be hard pressed to find a hound that isn't breed similar to your hunting buddies dog. In my world (Bonecollector Country) every dog is a Bonecollector dog since he was a local hound and the best I ever seen go. But you still see all kinds of styles of hunting and they are all bred very much a like. Go a mile ambush dogs, open old style trailing dogs, silent track dogs. I bought a go a mile ambush dog and when I got through with her she's a 400 yard dog and I maybe wrong but keeping her close she started opening on track and not so much ambush. And speed dropped cause she just wasn't running trough the woods looking for one to ambush but actually hunting. Did that happen cause of genetics or training to my style?

Old Post 12-26-2019 12:45 AM
Hittman
UKC Forum Member

My opinion would be both training and genetics. If you now the bloodline and the ways to make the dogs work and click. It also matters on style of dog you prefer. I personally dont like blow out of the country dogs. I would rather hunt a independent close range hunter. If you could create that you could dominate in competition and would be enjoyable pleasure dog.

Old Post 12-26-2019 01:04 AM
Hittman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hittman Click here to Send Hittman a Private Message Click Here to Email Hittman Find more posts by Hittman Add Hittman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Clovis A Nailor
UKC Forum Member

So in the end does genetics mean anything, ABSOLUTELY. But if ole so and so doesn't hit the hunts and does some big time winning people don't want any pups out of that dog. If the dog isn't promoted on Facebook no one is going to want any pups out of that dog. They could have a top hound and maybe people say oh I don't like ole so and so, we don't want any pups out of that dog. So I say my hunting buddy has a old Walker dog that's putting it on me quite often so I'm carrying my best female over there when she comes in. He'll take a pup because he knows I have a good solid hound I'll keep a pup and give the rest away. And nobody will ever know what a top reproducer that dog was cause he will be dead and gone if a competition hunter happens to gets one of them pups. Now how many times has this happened?

Old Post 12-26-2019 02:16 AM
Tim Green
UKC Forum Member

So everyone can see, winning in competition is the modern day definition of reproducing. I say modern day, because I feel dogs of the past were measured differently. A dog had to tree a coon, because that was the extra money. Hides were high and dogs had to tree coons to make that money. People hunted these dogs during the week and then took them to town....they won by Treeing coons. When the hide prices fell, so came the need to make money else where.....so along came money hunts. Dogs were taught to win not necessarily tree coons. It became a handlers game. Also came along “all grand”. I am one of those all grand guys because although people say it doesn’t matter, it does help to sell pups, but I’ll turn anyone of mine out any night you want. I want coon tree’ers. Are they perfect, no...but they go hunt.

I hope to see some of the pups that breathed their first breath here at my house achieve greatness in the competition world, but honestly....I get more out of the calls or messages from pup owners telling me about their pup and how great it is.

Thanks for all the comments so far. I am seriously trying to make good crosses with certain lines, only time will tell.

Old Post 12-26-2019 02:59 AM
Clovis A Nailor
UKC Forum Member

I like Lipper dogs because I had a Lipper pup that was a good hound. I like Nailor dogs because I had a pup out of Nailor that was the best hound I ever owned. I like Bonecollector dogs because I hunted with him and seen what a amazing dog he was. And I'll breed to my hunting buddies dog because I like most everything about him. I like Trackman dogs because I haven't hunted with one that wasn't a straight up coondog. Now that's some popular names. But I've built off those dogs what I could never do in the competition ring. They did it for me and I built some nice pleasure dogs out of them so called crazy competition dogs. So then these every day pleasure pr dogs I have now can tree a coon with leaving the country. Wondering why my hounds tree coons without leaving the country with all these crazy slick treeing competition dogs in their background. Maybe because I hunt them the way I want them to hunt not how they want to hunt. So genetics sure. Training sure. Turning them loose I think is the biggest thing. Maybe you're hunting buddy has a better dog than the one 500 miles away.

Old Post 12-26-2019 03:07 AM