UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Hunt Director
Pages (7): « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Toad Hill
UKC Forum Member

* Copied from another thread

18. Hunt Directors.

• Allow the individual serving as the Hunt Director to handle a dog in the hunt.

2019 UKC RULE PROPOSAL CLARIFICATIONS AND NOTES
Be advised, the following notes are the opinions/statements of those who submitted the proposals and may or may not necessarily reflect the opinion of UKC.

PROPOSAL 18: UKC made it easier for clubs to come up with an event official when they implemented the Hunt Director option. Yes, it gets boring to some to have to sit at the clubhouse with little to no action while everyone else is gone for several hours. Allowing the HD to handle a dog would, in some cases, add another entry for the club. Possibly another guide. Possibly another judge. Those are good pros.

The cons? What about the guy who is waiting at the clubhouse with a legitimate question related to a scratching offense? Is anyone going to be able to get their hunt time in and the opportunity for a cast win when that happens? The simple answer is; it hardly ever happens. But maybe there’s a reasonable way to combat these cons?

Decisions are made by weighing the pros and cons. This is one of those.

* GRNTCH PKC CH SMALL TOWN LONE SURVIVOR "LONER" DNA-VIP
(GRNTCH Cabin Creek Rowdy semen X GRNTCH CH Lonesome Dove Lori)
----- Chilled semen available, 463 million total sperm per collection sent - Quality Documented & Guaranteed as of 11-15-23 -----
-English Days 2020 - 3rd place Fri / High Scoring male & 1st place Sat night
-2021 UKC World TOP 100
-2022 TOC Qualified
-2022 UKC World Qualified
-2023 UKC World Qualified
-2023 PKC World Quarter Finalist TOP 105
- For more on Loner, Go listen to Episode #1 on The Coonhound Collective podcast on Spotify.

* GRNTCH CH LONESOME DOVE LORI ( 2018 UKC World top 25 ) World Qualified 3 years straight [ double bred , 2X WLD CH Eng Fem GRNTCH Backroads Rosie ]

* GRNTCH CH SMALL TOWN BINGO STAR DNA-VIP ( 2019 Winter Classic 2nd place ) [ HOF GRNTCH Wilcox Thunder Bingo X Dual Grand Tree Rockin' Nelly ]
(( Star is the Dam to 2021 Southern Eng Days High Scoring Male & Overall Winner ))

- Live breeding doesn't dictate the future success of a puppy any more than a frozen breeding does.

+ I am the Wretch the song refers to

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-15-2019 07:10 PM
Toad Hill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Toad Hill Click here to Send Toad Hill a Private Message Find more posts by Toad Hill Add Toad Hill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Toad Hill
UKC Forum Member

Re: .

quote:
Originally posted by G.W. Harring

By the way..... Still waiting on all of those GOOD reasons why a HD shouldn't be allowed to hunt. LOL

Anyone, anyone...Bueller??? [/B]

Greg I think "Ferris" is still "sick" and unable to attend this class ..........? LOL

* GRNTCH PKC CH SMALL TOWN LONE SURVIVOR "LONER" DNA-VIP
(GRNTCH Cabin Creek Rowdy semen X GRNTCH CH Lonesome Dove Lori)
----- Chilled semen available, 463 million total sperm per collection sent - Quality Documented & Guaranteed as of 11-15-23 -----
-English Days 2020 - 3rd place Fri / High Scoring male & 1st place Sat night
-2021 UKC World TOP 100
-2022 TOC Qualified
-2022 UKC World Qualified
-2023 UKC World Qualified
-2023 PKC World Quarter Finalist TOP 105
- For more on Loner, Go listen to Episode #1 on The Coonhound Collective podcast on Spotify.

* GRNTCH CH LONESOME DOVE LORI ( 2018 UKC World top 25 ) World Qualified 3 years straight [ double bred , 2X WLD CH Eng Fem GRNTCH Backroads Rosie ]

* GRNTCH CH SMALL TOWN BINGO STAR DNA-VIP ( 2019 Winter Classic 2nd place ) [ HOF GRNTCH Wilcox Thunder Bingo X Dual Grand Tree Rockin' Nelly ]
(( Star is the Dam to 2021 Southern Eng Days High Scoring Male & Overall Winner ))

- Live breeding doesn't dictate the future success of a puppy any more than a frozen breeding does.

+ I am the Wretch the song refers to

Old Post 11-15-2019 07:12 PM
Toad Hill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Toad Hill Click here to Send Toad Hill a Private Message Find more posts by Toad Hill Add Toad Hill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
G.W. Harring
UKC Forum Member

"The cons? What about the guy who is waiting at the clubhouse with a legitimate question related to a scratching offense? Is anyone going to be able to get their hunt time in and the opportunity for a cast win when that happens? The simple answer is; it hardly ever happens. But maybe there’s a reasonable way to combat these cons?"

As stated before by Tar....

He'll be waiting with the NON HUNTING HD while they wait for a cast(s) to come back to assemble a panel. Nothing has changed!!

Come on bud, you have to do better than that!! LOL

..."But maybe there’s a reasonable way to combat these cons?"

"these cons?" More like "this con" and that con doesn't hold water, try again.

Surely out of 23 there should be SEVERAL GOOD reasons not to let a HD hunt.

How about this, lets start a list of Pros and Cons.

I'll start with an obvious Pro.

PRO
1) UKC gets 1 more entry.

402-209-5053

Last edited by G.W. Harring on 11-15-2019 at 07:30 PM

Old Post 11-15-2019 07:21 PM
G.W. Harring is offline Click Here to See the Profile for G.W. Harring Click here to Send G.W. Harring a Private Message Find more posts by G.W. Harring Add G.W. Harring to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rocketman55
UKC Forum Member

Let me first say I would be Ok with allowing a hunt director to hunt, but I WILL give you one reason why maybe it's not a good idea.

Hunt Director has the responsibility to develop a panel to hear any and all questions. If a question comes in that may directly affect placement of the Hunt Director's Dog, That Hunt Director has the ability to tip the scales in his direction, by choosing a panel that is persuaded by their friendship, to vote in a manner that is supportive of the Hunt Directors dog's placement.

And even if they didn't vote out of friendship, it still has the implication that that vote may have been done out of friendship, when in fact it was not.

Glouster, Ohio 45732
Home To:
Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Hang'em High Holly
Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Rockets Top Gun.
Gr.Nt.Ch.Hooper Ridge Rocket
Gr.Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Dolly
Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Queen
Nt.Ch Raw Dawg Rowdy
PR Tree Banging Buddy
HOOPER RIDGE ENGLISH-POUND FOR POUND THEY ARE ONE TOUGH HOUND!!!!

Old Post 11-15-2019 07:32 PM
Rocketman55 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rocketman55 Click here to Send Rocketman55 a Private Message Click Here to Email Rocketman55 Find more posts by Rocketman55 Add Rocketman55 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Corey Gruver
UKC Forum Member

CONS:

-Issues that arise (that result in a cast returning to the clubhouse) are not handled promptly or effectively

-Allen Gingerich's personal cell phone bill skyrockets in price due to the influx of calls coming from frustrated participants waiting on their Hunt Directors to return from the woods

-Todd Kellam gets a few more gray hairs due to having to pay the rising cost of Allen's cell phone bill LOL

(Those last two are just a joke BTW)

Last edited by Corey Gruver on 11-15-2019 at 07:40 PM

Old Post 11-15-2019 07:35 PM
Corey Gruver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Corey Gruver Click here to Send Corey Gruver a Private Message Find more posts by Corey Gruver Add Corey Gruver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
G.W. Harring
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Rocketman55
Let me first say I would be Ok with allowing a hunt director to hunt, but I WILL give you one reason why maybe it's not a good idea.

Hunt Director has the responsibility to develop a panel to hear any and all questions. If a question comes in that may directly affect placement of the Hunt Director's Dog, That Hunt Director has the ability to tip the scales in his direction, by choosing a panel that is persuaded by their friendship, to vote in a manner that is supportive of the Hunt Directors dog's placement.

And even if they didn't vote out of friendship, it still has the implication that that vote may have been done out of friendship, when in fact it was not.

Dave,
You have a point and I'm sure that would be something to consider although currently the HD's dog can be hunted by another handler, so your example above can still happen with a NON hunting HD. There are no rules that I know of that will totally do away with the buddy system HUNTING or NON HUNTING.

Corey,
You're answer of "-Issues that arise (that result in a cast returning to the clubhouse) are not handled promptly or effectively" will still happen waiting for the cast(s) to come in to form a panel.

#2 & #3 are just called "Earning their check" LOL

402-209-5053

Old Post 11-15-2019 08:02 PM
G.W. Harring is offline Click Here to See the Profile for G.W. Harring Click here to Send G.W. Harring a Private Message Find more posts by G.W. Harring Add G.W. Harring to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Corey Gruver
UKC Forum Member

Compromise

Hey Greg, how about we compromise a little?

I'll vote that Hunt Directors can hunt, only if UKC creates an "Assistant to the Hunt Director" position.

The Hunt Director can go hunt as much as he wants, while the Assistant Hunt Director stays at the clubhouse.

Old Post 11-15-2019 08:10 PM
Corey Gruver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Corey Gruver Click here to Send Corey Gruver a Private Message Find more posts by Corey Gruver Add Corey Gruver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
G.W. Harring
UKC Forum Member

You're kill'n me Smalls!!!!

402-209-5053

Old Post 11-15-2019 08:11 PM
Corey Gruver
UKC Forum Member

I have a pretty smart squirrel dog I can teach to sit behind the desk at the clubhouse while the HD hunts... she'll be fine since we have to wait for the other casts to come in to assemble a panel anyway

I'm sure she'll appreciate the new title too lol

Last edited by Corey Gruver on 11-15-2019 at 08:15 PM

Old Post 11-15-2019 08:13 PM
G.W. Harring
UKC Forum Member

I have one too........mine is NOT NEAR as smart as yours, but mine is still smart enough NOT to sit behind a desk and wait. LOL (Gottcha)

402-209-5053

Old Post 11-15-2019 08:20 PM
Corey Gruver
UKC Forum Member

Greg

If you are gonna let the Hunt Director's hunt, might as well let the cur dogs too LOL

Old Post 11-15-2019 08:24 PM
G.W. Harring
UKC Forum Member

Corey

LOL, now, now, don't go there. It's one simple painless adjustment. I doubt you even see the effects in the land of milk and honey where you are.
You probably have those non hunting HD and MOH lined up 4 abreast fighting each other to see who can stay at the club house all night in your area.

I think Jen proposed "in hunts of 16 dogs or more" you would need a NON hunting HD.

Open up an old Bloodlines (back when they posted entry numbers, lol) and count how many hunts had less than 16 dogs entered.

Plus, if UKC will just make it "optional" you can still sit at the club house all night if you want to and you or your club won't even be affected.

If it was at least an option it wouldn't mean you would be required to use it if you didn't want to. Win, win!

402-209-5053

Old Post 11-15-2019 09:11 PM
G.W. Harring
UKC Forum Member

Corey

Oh ya, I almost forgot......

I'm still waiting to hear all of those GOOD reasons (plural) not to let a HD hunt. LOL

And just for the record BEFORE you reply....

1) Because I don't like change.
2) Because I'm a MOH and I won't get paid at the smaller hunts if UKC allows a hunting HD.
3) Because I think it's like another KC (where it works)
4) Because it makes sense to do.

....won't qualify as GOOD reasons. LOL

402-209-5053

Old Post 11-15-2019 09:30 PM
J Gearing
UKC Forum Member

5 pages later..... this question has ran its course. There have been 20 posts since Ole Tar has had anything to say. So you know the horse is dead.

Old Post 11-15-2019 09:33 PM
J Gearing is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J Gearing Click here to Send J Gearing a Private Message Click Here to Email J Gearing Find more posts by J Gearing Add J Gearing to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Corey Gruver
UKC Forum Member

Greg

Open up an old bloodlines and count how clubs there were and how many events each one held within the year

They may have had more dogs at their events, but there were fewer clubs and events to go to! So I'm not sure you can use that as a valid argument lol

When I worked at UKC, we could barely allow new clubs to start up in Indiana and Tennessee, due to the saturation of clubs there.

Last edited by Corey Gruver on 11-15-2019 at 09:41 PM

Old Post 11-15-2019 09:35 PM
Corey Gruver
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by J Gearing
5 pages later..... this question has ran its course. There have been 20 posts since Ole Tar has had anything to say. So you know the horse is dead.

Greg and I are just having fun now

Old Post 11-15-2019 09:40 PM
Jack Bingham
UKC Forum Member

The con i keep seeing is for a HD to be at club to assemble a panel if a question comes back. Only problem is. WHERE IS THIS IMAGINARY PANEL GONNA COME FROM. FROM THE OTHER CAST THAT ARE OUT HUNTING. So the question is still not gonna get heard until the others are back the HD could be hunting on another cast when he gets back form a panel get it resolved. Since UKC went to the HD format our club has had one question come back. I personaly think we have fewer questions with an HD. Mostly because cast members know there gonna have to wait for other cast to get back for a panel. And don't wanna risk not having enough time to finish the cast.

A screw up on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.

HOME OF

GRNitech PKC Platinum CH PR Mosquito Creek Danno's Buggs 2018 American Redbone Champion. 2019 World Champion Female. 2020 PURINA NATIONALS CH.

GRNITE CH Mosquito Creek Hank 2020 top 100

NITE CH SILVER CH Jersey Girl 2020 Top 100

GRNITE CH SILVER CH. Wipeout Small Pox 2020 Top 100

NITECH River Valley Rain

R.I.P.
GRNitech PKC CH GRCH Awesome Mosquito Crk. Lick 2016 World Champion Redbone Female

R.I.P.
DUAL GRAND PR ANDREWS MOSQUITO CREEK GO MAN SAM DNA-P

R.I.P.
GRNITECH PR Thunder creek Squeller 2cast wins NRCA. 4 cast wins AKC qualified for AKC 2009,2010,2011 world hunt. Qualified for 2008,2009 and 2010 UKC worlds. World Finalist at the 2010 UKC Worlds. Money won in PKC

R.I.P. NITECH PR Faith's Image ( 3-UKC 1st) cast win at NRCA 6TH AT ARCA Money won in PKC

Look us up on Facebook: Mosquito Creek Redbones

Old Post 11-15-2019 09:58 PM
Jack Bingham is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jack Bingham Click here to Send Jack Bingham a Private Message Click Here to Email Jack Bingham Visit Jack Bingham's homepage! Find more posts by Jack Bingham Add Jack Bingham to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Jack Bingham

I think you are right, few questions, better hunts. More incentive to resolve any issues at the cast level, some folks are posing situations that just do not happen. I am with you, NO ONE has offered ANY valid reason why a Hunt Director should not be allowed to hunt. While the poll is 8 to 2 in favor of letting the Hunt Director hunt, the 2 , the 20 percent don't list why the are against this proposal. Dave

Old Post 11-15-2019 10:18 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I got the answer :

When ever we try to get them to do what they don’t want to we get the silent treatment !!

Tar

Old Post 11-15-2019 10:30 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
G.W. Harring
UKC Forum Member

Tar

Bout time you got back!!

Corey, I hate to do this to you buddy but it's time to pull out all the stops..... SICK'EM TAR!!!

Tar, be careful....trying to explain to that PA squirrel hunter that UKC can have their cake and eat it too is about like push'n a rope up a wall.

Side note: Word on the street is, after reading this thread Allen is now up to 3 packs a day and Todd is white headed. Lol

402-209-5053

Old Post 11-15-2019 11:12 PM
yadkintar
Banned

Well I don’t know how we can explain it any better. Tried to bet Corey a root beer float sure would have hated him having to drive to Oklahoma and take me to Braums lol.

They want us to do it where they don’t have to simple as that. Ain’t no skin off my butt when clubs start closing because of the struggles of putting more hunters in the woods.

Tar

Old Post 11-15-2019 11:25 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tar

Truth is we all suffer every time any Club goes out of business, it's like another brick in the wall , one step closer to the end of our competition hunts. One club here another one over there, they all add up. It is in the best interest of our sport to ensure the survival of every Club we have, once they are lost its hard to get them back. We ALL need to work together to benefit our sport, doing everything we can to help each and every Club we have and any new Club that's started. Dave

Old Post 11-15-2019 11:43 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Dave

When ukc has to come up with the majority of the prize package for the $200,000 hunt out of their own pocket they will listen then.

Tar

Old Post 11-16-2019 12:09 AM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tar

I just have to believe that UKC is listening and will make the RIGHT decision regarding the Hunt Director hunting. It's their choice , and if Any Club benefits it will be worth it. Saving one Club would a win for all of us, losing one Club is a loss for All of us, it could be your Club. Dave

Old Post 11-16-2019 12:41 AM
ov_blues
UKC Forum Member

Here is a con to hunting hunt directors

If the hunt director is at the club he can assemble a panel as soon as one or two casts come back in and get the cast with the question back in the woods quicker because he is there to get it done. If a hunting hunt director is out in the woods he might not be able to do that as quickly because he might be one of the last casts in.

Old Post 11-16-2019 05:02 AM
ov_blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ov_blues Click here to Send ov_blues a Private Message Click Here to Email ov_blues Find more posts by ov_blues Add ov_blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote