UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > The thing about track dogs.........
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
JiM
UKC Forum Member

The thing about track dogs.........

The tough part of judging track dogs is that there is basically no way to accurately measure tracking speed. We use our ears but our impressions from that are effected by a lot of other things that mess up those judgments. For instance a dog that uses a lot of mouth on track gives the impression of being a much faster track dog than one that is very tight mouthed. The same thing greatly effects how quick they get struck. A dog that never says a word until the track is straightened out and moving will give the impression of being a much slower to find a track than a loose mouth dog that opens at the first smell of scent even though the first dog may, in fact, being finding the track sooner. I think the only good way to judge a track dog requires you to have something to compare your dog to. It seems to me the easiest way to make such comparisons is simply which dog gets treed first AND HAS A COON because getting treed first without a coon can't tell you anything good about a dog. But if one dog consistently trees ahead of the rest, that dog HAS to be a faster track dog doesn't it? Even if you have a dog that likes to get off alone, you still have other dogs that will go to that dogs track when he opens and throw in with him on that track. And if a dog takes that track and trees ahead, you know that dogs has got to be faster on the track.
For all the bad someone may think about comp hunts, the fact remains that if you see a dog out there that is consistently getting more first trees PLUSSED, that dog is prolly a superior track dog. Bottom line, the dog that is getting there first with the meat is surely getting there the fastest too. First tree dog equals fast track dog.

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-24-2011 09:38 PM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jim Hill
UKC Forum Member

Re: The thing about track dogs.........

quote:
Originally posted by JiM
The tough part of judging track dogs is that there is basically no way to accurately measure tracking speed. We use our ears but our impressions from that are effected by a lot of other things that mess up those judgments. For instance a dog that uses a lot of mouth on track gives the impression of being a much faster track dog than one that is very tight mouthed. The same thing greatly effects how quick they get struck. A dog that never says a word until the track is straightened out and moving will give the impression of being a much slower to find a track than a loose mouth dog that opens at the first smell of scent even though the first dog may, in fact, being finding the track sooner. I think the only good way to judge a track dog requires you to have something to compare your dog to. It seems to me the easiest way to make such comparisons is simply which dog gets treed first AND HAS A COON because getting treed first without a coon can't tell you anything good about a dog. But if one dog consistently trees ahead of the rest, that dog HAS to be a faster track dog doesn't it? Even if you have a dog that likes to get off alone, you still have other dogs that will go to that dogs track when he opens and throw in with him on that track. And if a dog takes that track and trees ahead, you know that dogs has got to be faster on the track.
For all the bad someone may think about comp hunts, the fact remains that if you see a dog out there that is consistently getting more first trees PLUSSED, that dog is prolly a superior track dog. Bottom line, the dog that is getting there first with the meat is surely getting there the fastest too. First tree dog equals fast track dog.

well said jimbo

Been following these walker dogs since 1983,and love every min of it !!!!

http://minnesotastatecoonhunters.webs.com/

Use SunSpot Lights, so bright its like the sun came out at night !!!

Old Post 07-24-2011 09:43 PM
Jim Hill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jim Hill Click here to Send Jim Hill a Private Message Find more posts by Jim Hill Add Jim Hill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

Someone will surely bring up that first tree in a comp hunt just means the dog has a slicker handler, pitching them on the tree, treeing off other dogs locate, etc. And it darn sure happens, it happens around here. And EVERYONE knows who they are and what they are doing out there. You hit the hunts regular, you and everyone else knows who is honest, straight up and handling fair and square. And they all know who don't so you will toss those guys dogs out of the equation right off and consider only those dogs that are being handled honestly.
Even if a dog is usually split off by itself, if you are scoring that dogs tree first, he is doing something the faster than the others. Either tracking faster or finding coons that the other can't.
Treeing coons is 100% of what makes a coondog.

Old Post 07-24-2011 09:56 PM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

#1. Won't a Garmin accurately measure track speed?

#2. I have seen dogs that were very slow on track and stood on their heads a lot when by themselves. But if you put them with a good track dog, then they looked great and had every first tree. They would just run along with the track dog, checking trees.

Old Post 07-24-2011 09:59 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rough Northern
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
#2. I have seen dogs that were very slow on track and stood on their heads a lot when by themselves. But if you put them with a good track dog, then they looked great and had every first tree. They would just run along with the track dog, checking trees.

Your talking about a quick locating dog. There's a big difference in a fast track dog and a quick locator.

Old Post 07-24-2011 10:05 PM
Rough Northern is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rough Northern Click here to Send Rough Northern a Private Message Find more posts by Rough Northern Add Rough Northern to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rough Northern
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Rough Northern
Your talking about a quick locating dog. There's a big difference in a fast track dog and a quick locator.

In Indiana I'd rather have a quick locator. There are few good track dogs in Indiana.

Old Post 07-24-2011 10:06 PM
Rough Northern is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rough Northern Click here to Send Rough Northern a Private Message Find more posts by Rough Northern Add Rough Northern to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

A Garmin will measure speed but it tells you nothing about the quality of the track or other conditions that will effect track speed. I think you need another dog(s) to compare and make accurate judgments.

As for #2, I been around awhile and seen about everything but I never seen that dog standout or stick around very long. Hitchhikers are always found out and judged as such.

Old Post 07-24-2011 10:08 PM
Jason Baldwin
UKC Forum Member

Jim that is a very good post and i agree with 90% of it. Some dogs may be very fast on track but be slow about checking a tree and locking down. Also they may not have a very good locate bark. My female blutick was faster than bubba on track. Hes the far better competition dog due to several thing, . His locate bark and his quickness to look up and lock it down. But princess could drive the track faster than him. I hunted them together. She was a very unique dog and combination of talents and also lack of talents.

Old Post 07-24-2011 10:19 PM
Jason Baldwin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jason Baldwin Click here to Send Jason Baldwin a Private Message Find more posts by Jason Baldwin Add Jason Baldwin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jim Hill
UKC Forum Member

you want a fast track dog?? get yourself a chop mough track dog

Old Post 07-24-2011 10:31 PM
Jim Hill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jim Hill Click here to Send Jim Hill a Private Message Find more posts by Jim Hill Add Jim Hill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Jason Baldwin
Jim that is a very good post and i agree with 90% of it. Some dogs may be very fast on track but be slow about checking a tree and locking down. Also they may not have a very good locate bark.

You are right. Nothing is written in stone because we are talking about dogs.

Old Post 07-24-2011 10:36 PM
Rough Northern
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Jim Hill

I dont agree with that.

Old Post 07-24-2011 10:42 PM
Joey

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
#1. Won't a Garmin accurately measure track speed?

#1The Garmin does an average track speed that includes racing down the road , tracking and standing at the tree not moving. All of gets averaged to give you the speed you see on the garmin. So no the Garmin cant tell you how fast a dog is on track.

#2 Everyone knows who those dogs are.

I have always thought along the same lines as Jim on this. I know that there are some exceptions like hitchhikers and slow locator's but on average the faster track dog will be the one treed first.

I wish they would assign 50 or 100 points across the board for strike points and quite awarding the dog that is either babbling or running junk. The name of the game is to tree a coon not who can bark first for no reason. You have to give them some sort of points to make them responsible for their strike but to give one dog a 75 point advantage over another because it is loosed jawed is not right.

Old Post 07-24-2011 10:49 PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jim Hill
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Rough Northern
I dont agree with that.
no one said you had too!!!! ,ill take a chop mouth track dog over a bawl mouth track dog anyday if there change over is good enough to call JMO

Old Post 07-24-2011 11:11 PM
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

I agree on the chop or squall mouth usually faster than bawl mouth. If I didn't have enough sense to determine if I had a fast or slow track dog I'd take up golf.

Old Post 07-24-2011 11:48 PM
yadkinriver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bob Hennessey
UKC Forum Member

Lots of coon hunters don't have fast track dogs, and lots of coon hunters don't have slow track dogs, but in my years of coon hunting I have seen my share of halfassed track dogs.

You can't fix STUPID!

Old Post 07-25-2011 12:03 AM
Bob Hennessey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bob Hennessey Click here to Send Bob Hennessey a Private Message Find more posts by Bob Hennessey Add Bob Hennessey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jackbob42
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkinriver
.... If I didn't have enough sense to determine if I had a fast or slow track dog I'd take up golf.

I agree.
Even if the dog is a slow locator !

BackWoods River Walkers/Beagles
Just all 'round , meat gettin' hounds.

Old Post 07-25-2011 12:05 AM
jackbob42 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jackbob42 Click here to Send jackbob42 a Private Message Find more posts by jackbob42 Add jackbob42 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
micooner
UKC Forum Member

I really think your shortchanging the garmin one the the greatest tools ever to come onto the hounddog world I mean its better than coca cola and sliced bread LOL. As far as averaging speed when ol spot opens start a new track or hunt, sure not all tracks are the same or conditions but with a little watching you will get a real good look at speed, We use this all the time in running our beagles.comparing speed among other things such as cutting and swinging on the line JMHO

Old Post 07-25-2011 12:11 AM
micooner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for micooner Click here to Send micooner a Private Message Click Here to Email micooner Find more posts by micooner Add micooner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jason Baldwin
UKC Forum Member

I dont care if its greased lightning, i HATE chop mouth tracking.

Old Post 07-25-2011 12:19 AM
Jason Baldwin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jason Baldwin Click here to Send Jason Baldwin a Private Message Find more posts by Jason Baldwin Add Jason Baldwin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
l.lyle
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Jim Hill

I kind of agree with that one but I like a longer bawl on a cold track and I don't mind if they get excited and chop or short bawl on a good ruunin track. Helps me keep up with the status of the race. Also, I had a dog that would plant a quick sight locator ( by watching the old dog rear up on a tree to check) and then grab it. That old dog would tree till it saw our lights coming and then slip off to the right tree. He had a penchant for knowin which way we would be coming from and line it up so that you would never know he moved. He was a crooked dog but I liked him and he taught alot of pups about not lying and that they had better check for themselves rather than take his word for it. I would never have known that by sitting on the tailgate. The way I discovered it was keeping close with my light off while my buddies came into he tree.

Last edited by l.lyle on 07-25-2011 at 12:29 AM

Old Post 07-25-2011 12:25 AM
l.lyle is offline Click Here to See the Profile for l.lyle Click here to Send l.lyle a Private Message Click Here to Email l.lyle Find more posts by l.lyle Add l.lyle to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Virgil
UKC Forum Member

So what do you guys consider the dogs that can burn a track up in the summertime but fall on their heads when it gets cold in winter??

When I think about track dogs I consider what a dog can do in the wintertime in rough conditions because I have personally seen some pretty lousy dogs look good in the summertime and then go weeks between treeing a coon in the winter.

My only fault with what Jim said is that unless you have a garmin on all dogs and hunt with them for several nights you really can't differentiate between a good track dog and a quick tree dog.

Old Post 07-25-2011 12:32 AM
Virgil is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Virgil Click here to Send Virgil a Private Message Click Here to Email Virgil Find more posts by Virgil Add Virgil to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
micooner
UKC Forum Member

drop your dog just after the frost lays down in the night you will get a good idea what kind of track dog you have or like you said in the winter when you have that dry cold ground. we have beagles that will stand on their heads in snow its just the dog. JMHO

Old Post 07-25-2011 01:05 AM
micooner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for micooner Click here to Send micooner a Private Message Click Here to Email micooner Find more posts by micooner Add micooner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

Virgil, the short version of what I was saying is that a quick tree dog IS the fast track dog.

Old Post 07-25-2011 01:09 AM
Dirtdevil
Banned

yeah , if you go in and watch dogs work on a moonlit night .. you'd be surprised how much trust in your ears you will lose .

Same with locating ... sometimes the dog doing the real locating isn't as quick to bark and a me-too dog is stealing the tree.

You can never rely on just one sense to make judgements .... most of all sound which is subject to distortion in all sorts of ways.

Best way to judge a track dog ... is how long does it take them to get treed consistantly ... and how often do they run/tree coon other dogs have trouble with ... and how often do they tree ahead of other good dogs on the same track ....

.. if they do all of those things consistantly then you should be happy with what you have in the tracking department.

Old Post 07-25-2011 01:15 AM
Dirtdevil is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dirtdevil Click here to Send Dirtdevil a Private Message Find more posts by Dirtdevil Add Dirtdevil to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Majestic Tree H
UKC Forum Member

If you run them in the Daylight you can see how they hunt and what Track speed they have ...

540-421-2875

PR, Saltlick's Blue Misty Linga "Bluetick Coonhound"

French X American Hounds

Old Post 07-25-2011 01:24 AM
Majestic Tree H is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Majestic Tree H Click here to Send Majestic Tree H a Private Message Click Here to Email Majestic Tree H Visit Majestic Tree H's homepage! Find more posts by Majestic Tree H Add Majestic Tree H to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
H. L. Meyer
UKC Forum Member

Just a question

Would the age of a track have any bearing on how fast a dog worked the track?

Old Post 07-25-2011 01:25 AM
H. L. Meyer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for H. L. Meyer Click here to Send H. L. Meyer a Private Message Click Here to Email H. L. Meyer Find more posts by H. L. Meyer Add H. L. Meyer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote