UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Kennel Manners
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

Kennel Manners

Kennel manners... by that I mean not senseless barking in the pen or kennel- not tearing things up around the house, just a good sense of calm and common sense.

How many breed for this as an important trait? I would suspect it is less important the more of a rural or country setting you live in- and more important the closer your neighbors become.

I suspect as far as traits we like to see- it is often overlooked when looking at breedings.

How important is it to you- and do you know of particular lines of hounds that seem to naturally have good kennel manners?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-04-2020 12:10 PM
houndsound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chuck Allen
UKC Forum Member

its very important too me , but some kennel barking is environmental , not genetic.

When the law of the land becomes unjust outlaws will rise to take their place in history.

Old Post 01-04-2020 12:34 PM
Chuck Allen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chuck Allen Click here to Send Chuck Allen a Private Message Find more posts by Chuck Allen Add Chuck Allen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ron Moore
UKC Forum Member

Kennel Manners

I believe Kennel manners shows intelligents. The older I live the more things I realized that I overlooked throughout the years. I have had some great hounds throughout my lifetime that were less than perfect kennel dogs, ie; barking, pacing, crapping everywhere, face barking the other dogs and a few more other unwanted things. I had a tendency to overlook these things because of their performance in the woods. I have come to realize that all these bad habits doesn't have to exist and you can still have a top performer in the woods. I do believe this is an inherited trait. The dog I have at this time may just be one of the best, if not the best kennel dogs I've ever owned and guess what? She acts exactly the same way her mother does in the kennel. It is and will be a major factor in the way I breed my dogs from here on out. You can have a good coon dog and a good kennel dog all rolled into one, IMO.

Old Post 01-04-2020 01:06 PM
Ron Moore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Moore Click here to Send Ron Moore a Private Message Click Here to Email Ron Moore Find more posts by Ron Moore Add Ron Moore to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cleo
UKC Forum Member

People need to breed for brains and temperment first and formost. Kennel manners should be taught as a puppy, crate training too. If you leave a puppy in a pen with no interaction at all then wonder why it chews, barks and desroys stuff, its your own fault.
Spending time with them teaches them what they need as a basic earning experience. Too many nice pups get thrown away because their owners are lazy.

~A man is only as good as his word~

Proud home to;

'PR' Kentucky River Fly Again (Kentucky River Rowdy frozen semen)
ACHA CHT x3 Broken Roads Little Texas (Kentucky River Rowdy x Houses Lipper's Hope)
CH Broken Roads Southern Stylish Boom (Kentucky River Rowdy x Houses Lipper's Hope)
Broken Road's Rowdy Lil Miss (Kentucky River Rowdy x Houses Lipper's Hope)
Broken Road's Meabie I will (Lipper's Rooster x Missy)
Broken Roads IMA Boomer2 (UKC NATL GRCH GRNTCH Honest Abe x Broken Roads Southern Stylish Boom
~~~~~Watch out!~~~~~
They just might make an IMPACT!

and the girls...Punkin and Tater!

Gone by never forgotten ~ Fly high my beautiful angels
~ GRCH GNTCH PKC SC Toucan Sam
~CH Toucan's Ugly Betty
~ CCH CH Southforks September Rain
~ Martin's Daisy JJ (what a beautiful litter you left behind)
~ Luke, the lab who brought us so many doves and ducks over the years
~ UKC GRCH,ACHA CH 2014 LWCH 2014 2 x's ACHA YOUTH WCH AKC CH AKC CH 'PR' Kentucky River Mundar ~ (Kentucky River Rowdy frozen semen) DNA Profiled ~ Fly high, old friend.

"The WILL of God will never take you where the GRACE of God can not protect you!"

Old Post 01-04-2020 08:00 PM
Cleo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cleo Click here to Send Cleo a Private Message Find more posts by Cleo Add Cleo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
OLD TIMER
UKC Forum Member

LOL----

Mid 80's, went to breed days and slept in the back of the truck and never heard a hound bark all night, could lead a hound pass others and they acted like they were best friends. THEN 20 years later, holy crap, cops are called to the grounds because of barking dogs, you need to be 10 miles away if you want any sleep and I think you could walk your hound pass a junk yard and see less teeth??

Brains and "manners" went off the breed for list with a lot of other things.

Old Post 01-04-2020 09:21 PM
OLD TIMER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for OLD TIMER Click Here to Email OLD TIMER Find more posts by OLD TIMER Add OLD TIMER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Manners

Mr. Bruce Conkey once said in a post, "We can not change things we tolerate". How true this is, if you tolerate bad behavior or undesirable behavior you can never change it. When you will not tolerate something is when you change things. Illness, kennel barking, etc. are things that should not be tolerated and YOU need to do what it takes to correct the problem. Dave. P.S. Bruce may have used the word "accept", either way it's true.

Old Post 01-04-2020 10:47 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sonny Phipps
UKC Forum Member

It is very important to me. Where I live I could have dogs that bark all day and night without a issue , BUT I cannot tolerate senseless barking, jumping and stomping in its crap. A very good dog will find a new address around here if it can’t behave at home. It’s just like good coon treeing ability , once you’ve had it you find it hard to tolerate less. I personally won’t tolerate poor kennel manners and/or a rough dog...... those faults will end a dogs tenure at my house.

Old Post 01-04-2020 11:49 PM
Sonny Phipps is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sonny Phipps Click here to Send Sonny Phipps a Private Message Click Here to Email Sonny Phipps Find more posts by Sonny Phipps Add Sonny Phipps to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Doug Johnson
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Sonny Phipps
It is very important to me. Where I live I could have dogs that bark all day and night without a issue , BUT I cannot tolerate senseless barking, jumping and stomping in its crap. A very good dog will find a new address around here if it can’t behave at home. It’s just like good coon treeing ability , once you’ve had it you find it hard to tolerate less. I personally won’t tolerate poor kennel manners and/or a rough dog...... those faults will end a dogs tenure at my house.

Yup!

Kentucky Houndsmen Assc. Inc.
kyhoundsmen.com

Old Post 01-05-2020 12:23 PM
Doug Johnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Doug Johnson Click here to Send Doug Johnson a Private Message Click Here to Email Doug Johnson Find more posts by Doug Johnson Add Doug Johnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JB Cobb
UKC Forum Member

I just sold one that was a pretty fair young hound. My hunting partner told me I was making a mistake.... I hated him... Not because he didn't tree coons because he did usually several each night I hunted him. He was the worst I've ever owned in the kennel. He crapped at the gate and walked in it all day absolutely the nasteyiest pen manners ever and barked at the wind all day long. These habits were not from being we're not from never spending time with him. As a pup he was let out and messed with every day. He was the only hound I've owned that would retrieve. I'd throw a tennis ball for him for an hour or more everyday. I spoke with other people who had pups from this bloodline and was told there's was the same way. So yes inherited bad triat...... Since he's been gone my Kennel has been silent for the most part with two other 1 yr olds still here.

Old Post 01-05-2020 01:45 PM
JB Cobb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JB Cobb Click here to Send JB Cobb a Private Message Click Here to Email JB Cobb Find more posts by JB Cobb Add JB Cobb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

I will not listen to a dog barking at nothin. Kennel, dog box or in the woods. I don't care what the rules allow them to do or if judges started passing out $100 bills for the first dog that barked first I can't stand it.

Old Post 01-05-2020 03:49 PM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Clovis A Nailor
UKC Forum Member

I had a squirrel dog that would actually back up to the fence and crap outside the wire. I fella wanted to breed a gyp to him of a total different breed. She was a top squirrel dog so I wanted a pup out of the cross. The pup I got at six weeks would do the same thing.

Old Post 01-06-2020 07:26 AM
Clovis A Nailor is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Clovis A Nailor Click here to Send Clovis A Nailor a Private Message Click Here to Email Clovis A Nailor Find more posts by Clovis A Nailor Add Clovis A Nailor to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2nd Mac
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Donnie Stevens
I will not listen to a dog barking at nothin. Kennel, dog box or in the woods. I don't care what the rules allow them to do or if judges started passing out $100 bills for the first dog that barked first I can't stand it.
Amen

Old Post 01-06-2020 06:33 PM
2nd Mac is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2nd Mac Click here to Send 2nd Mac a Private Message Find more posts by 2nd Mac Add 2nd Mac to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JB Cobb
UKC Forum Member

The one I spoke of was the only one I’ve owned in 40 years that I could not break from barking. I did everything I knew how to do to break him and it did not work... trust me I did everything..I won’t list it here because I don’t want the light hearted bashing me...after a couple of days a bark collar was ineffective... He was the tufest hardheadest or stupidest take your pick... I’ve ever seen... that’s why I sold him.

Old Post 01-06-2020 08:35 PM
JB Cobb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JB Cobb Click here to Send JB Cobb a Private Message Click Here to Email JB Cobb Find more posts by JB Cobb Add JB Cobb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BawlinBlues
UKC Forum Member

that's the problem I have,I've sold a few nice young dogs for senseless barking and running thru their mess in the kennel.i clean my kennels every day and had some spread it all over the kennel every day.i dont care how good a dog is,i cant stand that.

Coty Strannahan

Old Post 01-08-2020 04:41 AM
BawlinBlues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BawlinBlues Click here to Send BawlinBlues a Private Message Click Here to Email BawlinBlues Find more posts by BawlinBlues Add BawlinBlues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
arachyd
UKC Forum Member

I live in an area where barking all day and at night would have me paying a lot in fines. Our dogs live in the house. Cranky neighbors house is about 30' away. Making it clear to the dog and CONSISTENTLY reinforcing it that random barking is bad is possible but you have to catch it every time. Hounds are very smart but need consistency.

Old Post 01-12-2020 10:33 PM
arachyd is offline Click Here to See the Profile for arachyd Click here to Send arachyd a Private Message Find more posts by arachyd Add arachyd to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cotton 1927
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Allen
its very important too me , but some kennel barking is environmental , not genetic.
Yes Sir you may be correct ,and his environment is gonna change real quick if he don't
learn what shut up means.......

Old Post 01-12-2020 11:44 PM
Cotton 1927 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cotton 1927 Click here to Send Cotton 1927 a Private Message Click Here to Email Cotton 1927 Find more posts by Cotton 1927 Add Cotton 1927 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Allen
in a tim ball add on harry he described harry offspring as dogs that were pen pacing barking hounds that without hard every night hunting would drive you insane ,he also added that a good hickory switch should be carried in one hand to correct them from treeing slick cause they would be one bark died and done one bark tree dogs right or wrong . his pups sold like hot cakes .lol the only pup that I could not break from non stop barking was out of harrys sire hayes ,the only way to have peace and quite was when it was wearing a muzzle , lol

Old Post 01-13-2020 01:42 AM
thomasg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasg Click here to Send thomasg a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasg Find more posts by thomasg Add thomasg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote