UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > How do you break a dog from backing ?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
pabeagler
UKC Forum Member

How do you break a dog from backing ?

How do you guys break a dog from backing another dog ?

shall receive the gift of the holy ghost

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-24-2019 12:36 PM
pabeagler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pabeagler Click here to Send pabeagler a Private Message Click Here to Email pabeagler Find more posts by pabeagler Add pabeagler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Find one that naturally has independence it’s easier. Making a dog do somthing that is not in it’s nature is always unreliable when they are under pressure.

Tar

Old Post 12-24-2019 12:54 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rocketman55
UKC Forum Member

I have never tried to do it anyway but to hunt them by themselves. Having said that I know of folks who cut one dog loose and let it get treed, then turn the dg loose you want to break form covering with a man standing at the tree of the dog already treed.

The guy standing there beats the crap out of the dog you cut loose 2nd, running it away from the tree and making it go tree somewhere else.

5/6 times you will ruin the dog you are trying to make independent, one of 6 times this will work and you will have an independent tree dog.

Take your pick of the two possible outcomes.

Me I prefer to buy a pup from a very independent strain, hunt it mostly by itself, and lets its NATURAL traits dictate how independent it becomes.

Glouster, Ohio 45732
Home To:
Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Hang'em High Holly
Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Rockets Top Gun.
Gr.Nt.Ch.Hooper Ridge Rocket
Gr.Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Dolly
Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Queen
Nt.Ch Raw Dawg Rowdy
PR Tree Banging Buddy
HOOPER RIDGE ENGLISH-POUND FOR POUND THEY ARE ONE TOUGH HOUND!!!!

Old Post 12-26-2019 04:04 PM
Rocketman55 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rocketman55 Click here to Send Rocketman55 a Private Message Click Here to Email Rocketman55 Find more posts by Rocketman55 Add Rocketman55 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ssgied
UKC Forum Member

What is your reasoning for wanting to break from backing?

Old Post 12-26-2019 04:51 PM
ssgied is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ssgied Click here to Send ssgied a Private Message Click Here to Email ssgied Find more posts by ssgied Add ssgied to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by ssgied

I am not a coon hunter much less a competition coon hunter but I am curious also...I like my dogs to back each other and pack up on a track...

I will say as to why independence (not backing)...

Is it because the dog that strikes first will probably tree first and it is maybe worth say 100 points for striking first and 125 points for treeing first...so if a dog comes in to back up he is not making the points as he could by not backing and spending the time finding his own coon...

I think all hunting dogs should back each other and I also think not backing is a fault...

But I see it this was when a dog shouldn’t back another dog...

It can work if setting a time limit...if a dog is treeing for a good while and no dogs show up within a certain time then it is a fault...

If other dogs come in pretty quick, again a certain time frame, or if in that time frame the dog coming in strikes a track then it is not a disqualification...

The rules should be made in a way that it promotes competition dogs that are the type that pleasure hunters would like to own...

So if the dogs are treeing together...one dog struck and treed first...when the dogs are casted out again then they all have the same opportunity to win...

For what I hunt this is the style of dog I look for...

Old Post 12-26-2019 06:40 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ssgied
UKC Forum Member

I understand the concept. I was asking for the original posters reasoning. So he might get the answer he was looking for. There are different aspects of backing, quitting a track to back, doing nothing while waiting for a dog to tree then backing, working the same track to the tree but slower than another dog. Dogs are social animals and some don’t have the independence to be alone all the time. Trying to make a dog be alone no matter what may create more problems than can be fixed. IMO

Old Post 12-26-2019 11:42 PM
ssgied is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ssgied Click here to Send ssgied a Private Message Click Here to Email ssgied Find more posts by ssgied Add ssgied to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

quote:

My thinking is if a dog doesn’t back a dog that is treed then he has a chance to win because he already lost out on
the points for first strike and tree...this way he has a chance to strike and tree it’s own coon...this might help in higher entry numbers because there is a better chance to win by hunting independent dogs...

It might be good for having more entries but this does not make it easier for the best dog to win...

If backing is allowed then most of the dogs if not all will be at the first tree...so all dogs are recasted at the same time and chances are the best dog will strike and tree first again and again or at least has a better chance...

Maybe I have it wrong but I would like the real truth from those that like dogs that don’t back up or honor the treed dog...

If I am right then that is one reason why there are so many culls because getting titled doesn’t mean that just because dog is titled...does not mean he is worthy of breeding because there is more luck involved with dogs that don’t back...

Old Post 12-26-2019 11:52 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sgraves
UKC Forum Member

Let a dog get treed first then send the dog you want broke in to that dog. You want necessarily have to beat the crap out of the dog. Like tar said, they will still back when you are in a situation where you don’t need them to. I look at it like this . If you have a dog that will consistently tree it’s own coon, with or without company. Nine out of ten times they will be alone. Rewarding a pup with a coon another dog trees is a good way to get a back packer. Me personally I like a dog that gets his own an some of yours to. Providing it doesn’t quit the track it started. My point being is to get a dog that will tree it’s own coon.

Old Post 12-26-2019 11:59 PM
Sgraves is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sgraves Click here to Send Sgraves a Private Message Click Here to Email Sgraves Find more posts by Sgraves Add Sgraves to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

quote:
My guess would be, reading this forum.

Old Post 12-27-2019 01:33 AM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

Never been a fan of having to train or try to train any hound to be independent. It's like training a dog to tree! Who wants one you had to train to tree? As has been mentioned, they likely won't be reliable anyways.

The other side of this is who wants to breed to or buy pups from a hound that had to be trained to do what should come natural to them? The naturals are the ones that are the most fun for me. If they have to be trained to do what should be genetically predisposed I don't want them. End of story.

You train hounds to handle, stop running off game, come when called, heel, sit, stay, load, what no means, etc., etc. Trailing, locating and treeing ability happens the nano second after the sperm penetrates the egg!

Old Post 12-27-2019 02:33 AM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by DL NH
Never been a fan of having to train or try to train any hound to be independent. It's like training a dog to tree! Who wants one you had to train to tree? As has been mentioned, they likely won't be reliable anyways.

The other side of this is who wants to breed to or buy pups from a hound that had to be trained to do what should come natural to them? The naturals are the ones that are the most fun for me. If they have to be trained to do what should be genetically predisposed I don't want them. End of story.

You train hounds to handle, stop running off game, come when called, heel, sit, stay, load, what no means, etc., etc. Trailing, locating and treeing ability happens the nano second after the sperm penetrates the egg!

Excellent post...

Old Post 12-27-2019 02:45 AM
Nathan Phenix
UKC Forum Member

I think if they eat your dog food train them anyway you want. Problem I have is out of the 10 so claimed naturally independent dogs 7 or 8 was man made. Just be honest about what your packing and how it came to be that way.

Already enough none hunters telling us when, where and how to hunt with out us telling each other what to hunt.

To answer your question. Hunt dog alone majority of time. NEVER knock a coon out to your dog with another dog no matter what. If he covers go to tree catch him and send him on right away without giving him any attention negative or positive. If there is any natural independence in the dog this is best chance of bringing it out without any major set backs. Just takes time and consistency.

You decide break dog with whooping or shocking you stand lot higher risk of ruining your dog. Takes a pretty good houndsman to break a dog that naturally wants to pack without causing problem.

Bayou Creek Black and Tan’s

Nathan Phenix
417-255-5697

Old Post 12-27-2019 03:10 AM
Nathan Phenix is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nathan Phenix Click here to Send Nathan Phenix a Private Message Find more posts by Nathan Phenix Add Nathan Phenix to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote