UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Who hunts with a savage rascal?
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
coch20
UKC Forum Member

Who hunts with a savage rascal?

Thinking about getting a rascal, pros and cons? Going to get a new gun for hunting and wanting light and short that’s still a rifle.

Northern Backwoods Kennels

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-13-2020 12:50 AM
coch20 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for coch20 Click here to Send coch20 a Private Message Click Here to Email coch20 Find more posts by coch20 Add coch20 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blacksc1
UKC Forum Member

I can’t speak for the savage rascal, but Santa brought my 5 y/o a cricket for Christmas. It’s a good little rifle for the money but with the LOP being so short I couldn’t get a good sight picture with the peep. A scope is on its way now , so time will tell. Seems to be fairly accurate. But I’d just as soon carry my marlin.

I took him coon hunting for the first time this past weekend. Treed 90 yards from the truck in big woods. He wanted me to carry his rifle in there. He wasn’t confident enough to pull the trigger. But he hasn’t quit asking to go back. He had a ball. Now I’m going to have to buy a better dog for him to enjoy.

Old Post 01-13-2020 02:51 AM
blacksc1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blacksc1 Click here to Send blacksc1 a Private Message Click Here to Email blacksc1 Find more posts by blacksc1 Add blacksc1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sonny Phipps
UKC Forum Member

I have a cricket with the scope and have literally shot over 1000 coons out with it. It’s the ticket for me

Old Post 01-13-2020 03:33 AM
Sonny Phipps is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sonny Phipps Click here to Send Sonny Phipps a Private Message Click Here to Email Sonny Phipps Find more posts by Sonny Phipps Add Sonny Phipps to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Savage Rascal

I own a Chipmunk, Cricket and a Savage Rascal, all bought for the purpose to coon hunt since all 3 guns are small, light, and EASY to carry. The Rascal is the best by FAR, it is much easier to load in the dark, drop a shell in the tray and that's it, it has a much better trigger (adjustable ) and hands down a better scope mounting system. If they had been making the Rascal when I first bought the Criket and Chipmunk, I would NEVER have purchased either of the 2 guns. The Cricket and Chipmunk both alike are very hard to load, especially at night and use a scope mount system that sucks, it attaches to the back peep sight system that's easy to come loose. I HIGHLY recommend the Savage Rascal especially with a scope, you won't go wrong. It's short in length, fairly light and super accurate with a great trigger. The only gun I like better for coon hunting is a T/C Hotshot 22 break down that's out of production and no longer being made. The hotshot 22lr is a mini contender alloy frame that's tops if you ever run into one for sale, buy it. Dave

Old Post 01-13-2020 04:33 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
amoskaspar
UKC Forum Member

i have a rascal and i like it, no problems with it

Old Post 01-13-2020 01:03 PM
amoskaspar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for amoskaspar Click here to Send amoskaspar a Private Message Find more posts by amoskaspar Add amoskaspar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnny reb
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by blacksc1
I can’t speak for the savage rascal, but Santa brought my 5 y/o a cricket for Christmas. It’s a good little rifle for the money but with the LOP being so short I couldn’t get a good sight picture with the peep. A scope is on its way now , so time will tell. Seems to be fairly accurate. But I’d just as soon carry my marlin.

I took him coon hunting for the first time this past weekend. Treed 90 yards from the truck in big woods. He wanted me to carry his rifle in there. He wasn’t confident enough to pull the trigger. But he hasn’t quit asking to go back. He had a ball. Now I’m going to have to buy a better dog for him to enjoy.

The trick with the short length of pull on any of the mentioned guns is a red dot. No sight picture required especially good if the leaves are still thick. Find an eye and then put red dot on eye done deal.

Old Post 01-13-2020 01:36 PM
johnny reb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnny reb Click here to Send johnny reb a Private Message Click Here to Email johnny reb Find more posts by johnny reb Add johnny reb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dave01
UKC Forum Member

rascal

savage rascal with a cricket scope deadly combination I love mine!!

Old Post 01-13-2020 01:55 PM
dave01 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dave01 Click here to Send dave01 a Private Message Click Here to Email dave01 Find more posts by dave01 Add dave01 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

I have a C Z
Adjustable trigger, light weight, 6 shot clip, very short gun
I like it. It's way better than a chipmunk or cricket.

Old Post 01-13-2020 02:20 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Roy Grant
UKC Forum Member

I like every other coon hunter, have to buy the flavor of the month. My favorite is the savage with rotary clip. a little heavier but with the 10 shot...which I need. Makes my life easier.

Old Post 01-13-2020 02:34 PM
Roy Grant is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Roy Grant Click here to Send Roy Grant a Private Message Click Here to Email Roy Grant Find more posts by Roy Grant Add Roy Grant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sfox91
UKC Forum Member

Use a 10/22 like a normal person, those little crickets sound like a cannon going off

Old Post 01-13-2020 02:48 PM
Sfox91 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sfox91 Click here to Send Sfox91 a Private Message Click Here to Email Sfox91 Find more posts by Sfox91 Add Sfox91 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Sfox91
Use a 10/22 like a normal person, those little crickets sound like a cannon going off

The older a normal person gets the less weight he or she wants to carry

Old Post 01-13-2020 04:09 PM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sfox91
UKC Forum Member

Ruger charger is an option then

Old Post 01-13-2020 05:51 PM
Sfox91 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sfox91 Click here to Send Sfox91 a Private Message Click Here to Email Sfox91 Find more posts by Sfox91 Add Sfox91 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
deadeye ruck
UKC Forum Member

I have a rascal and I love it. Put a good red dot on it and you will never look back. I have a vortex SPARC with a 2MOA dot on it. Makes it easy as pie when you're hunting alone.

Simon Rucker
(540)-420-1787

GrNiteCh PKC CH 'PR' Candy's Stylish Swag 2014 VA State PKC top 10 and 2022/2023 Super Stakes Sire & 2022 UKC Performance Sire
GrNiteCh PKC CH 'PR' Late Night Backwater Piper
NiteCh PKC CH 'PR' Risky Ruby
'PR' Stylish Poison Neon Moon
'PR' Stylish Poison Pickles

Old Post 01-13-2020 06:10 PM
deadeye ruck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for deadeye ruck Click here to Send deadeye ruck a Private Message Click Here to Email deadeye ruck Find more posts by deadeye ruck Add deadeye ruck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Trueblood85
UKC Forum Member

Both of my kids have the rascal, one plus is that it's available in a lefty model. Nice little guns but my buddies son has a marlin youth 22 and we prefer it, small and light weight but has a 7 shot magazine, which we use quite often.

Old Post 01-13-2020 06:16 PM
Trueblood85 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Trueblood85 Click here to Send Trueblood85 a Private Message Find more posts by Trueblood85 Add Trueblood85 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Trueblood85
UKC Forum Member

Both of my kids have the rascal, one plus is that it's available in a lefty model. Nice little guns but my buddies son has a marlin youth 22 and we prefer it, small and light weight but has a 7 shot magazine, which we use quite often.

Old Post 01-13-2020 06:16 PM
Trueblood85 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Trueblood85 Click here to Send Trueblood85 a Private Message Find more posts by Trueblood85 Add Trueblood85 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Rascal

As I have already posted, the Rascal is an EXCELLENT choice, while there are many guns to choose from, the Rascal is lightweight, compact and EASY to use and carry at night. You hardly knows it there and super accurate with a great trigger, all Very important. The OP asked about the Rascal, You won't be sorry for getting a Rascal if weight and accuracy matters to you and as a bonus, kids can shoot this gun to learn gun safety and have fun doing so. Dave

Last edited by Dave Richards on 01-13-2020 at 06:39 PM

Old Post 01-13-2020 06:23 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
coch20
UKC Forum Member

Thanks guys for all the needed advise, I realize some of the guns are nicer and better guns but only the mini rifles can compete with the rascals weight of under 3lbs. Anyone use just the iron sights on the rascal?

Old Post 01-14-2020 12:52 AM
coch20 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for coch20 Click here to Send coch20 a Private Message Click Here to Email coch20 Find more posts by coch20 Add coch20 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

Re: Who hunts with a savage rascal?

quote:
Originally posted by coch20
Thinking about getting a rascal, pros and cons? Going to get a new gun for hunting and wanting light and short that’s still a rifle.

The chiappa little badger is a better gun.

Old Post 01-14-2020 02:05 AM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
coch20
UKC Forum Member

Josh what makes you think that? First hand experience with rascal and badger.

Old Post 01-14-2020 02:54 AM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Josh Michaelis

I HIGHLY disagree with your statement, please elaborate as to why you made that statement. I consider your choice junk and I own over 60 22 rifles from Anshultz to Wincesters. Dave

Old Post 01-14-2020 07:13 AM
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by coch20
Josh what makes you think that? First hand experience with rascal and badger.

I have both. The Badger is easier to load, and it comes with a rail for more optics choices and less hassle putting them on.

The iron sights on both guns are not good in the dark.

Last edited by Josh Michaelis on 01-14-2020 at 12:56 PM

Old Post 01-14-2020 12:51 PM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

Re: Josh Michaelis

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
I HIGHLY disagree with your statement, please elaborate as to why you made that statement. I consider your choice junk and I own over 60 22 rifles from Anshultz to Wincesters. Dave

Like I said. The Badger is WAY easier to load, easier to put optics on, weighs the same, and may even be a touch lighter than the rascal, and it shoots the same groups with the same ammo as the rascal, or chipmunk, or cricket. All of which I also have.

Last edited by Josh Michaelis on 01-14-2020 at 12:57 PM

Old Post 01-14-2020 12:54 PM
deadeye ruck
UKC Forum Member

Not negating what you said Josh but I put a rail on my rascal so I could mount the Vortex dot on it. I torqued it to the manufacturer specs, added some locktite to the base screws and it has been rock solid. I have beat it around, dropped it, slid down the mountainside with it with no change in POI.

https://www.amazon.com/Savage-Rasca...t/dp/B01AAU4276

Simon Rucker
(540)-420-1787

GrNiteCh PKC CH 'PR' Candy's Stylish Swag 2014 VA State PKC top 10 and 2022/2023 Super Stakes Sire & 2022 UKC Performance Sire
GrNiteCh PKC CH 'PR' Late Night Backwater Piper
NiteCh PKC CH 'PR' Risky Ruby
'PR' Stylish Poison Neon Moon
'PR' Stylish Poison Pickles

Last edited by deadeye ruck on 01-14-2020 at 04:24 PM

Old Post 01-14-2020 04:22 PM
deadeye ruck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for deadeye ruck Click here to Send deadeye ruck a Private Message Click Here to Email deadeye ruck Find more posts by deadeye ruck Add deadeye ruck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Josh Michaelis

Thanks for your explanation, I still think the Rascal is better and is as easy to load as one could ask for, drop the shell in the tray and close the bolt, loading in the dark without even looking down. The scope mount is solid and won't come loose, making it shoot consistent when sighted in properly. If you want the best break action 22 rifle available, the the Thompson Center Hotshot 22 is the way to go. Unfortunately, they are not made any longer and are hard to find. Like I said I have over 60 plus 22 rifles and for coon hunting a Savage Rascal is a Top Choice even if it is only a single shot, it's coon hunting and the game is not going to run off if you miss. Lol. Dave. P.S. I own all the guns you have and I can guarantee that the Rascal will outshot ALL of the other 3 in a accuracy test with the same or different ammo.

Last edited by Dave Richards on 01-14-2020 at 07:31 PM

Old Post 01-14-2020 07:27 PM
Trueblood85
UKC Forum Member

Rascal

I have 2 rascals, 1 for each of my rascals(kids). 1 of them I wound highly recommend for a light weight single shot, the other 1 miss fires a lot. With that being said I'm sure it wouldn't take much to fix the problem and savage may would do under warranty, but off the shelf I would have 2 different opinions on the same model.
And although the game may not run away, I've seen a few run to a hole. It's a lot easier to keep your eye on the coon and rack in another round than try to load one. Just my opinion

Old Post 01-14-2020 08:15 PM