UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Coon Dog
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Team Mafia 2
UKC Forum Member

As far as seeing some really good top end Coon Dogs go I was blessed to grow up in the house I grew up in. I don’t think you will meet anyone more particular or a bigger critic on what is on the end of his leash than my dad. Some of my first memories coon hunting was with a dog he had Called Spider. I remember a lot of nights you would get him out and he would be standing on his back legs winding and go 3 or 4 hundred yards and just explode recut him and he would do it again but if they weren’t moving he would be somewhere ALONE with a coon treed. He was my first experience with a real deal cock the gun type dog Idk if I have ever seen another like that. Then there was Sally a big female Probably 80 pounds dead loner have a coon and was like a big rattle snake didn’t take much poking and prodding from anything Dad says he would take a loan out to own a gyp like her now. After Spider died and sally was sold for a bunch of money Dad went several years hunting “common” dogs and going through them Until he bought Mafia as a puppy He was my Favorite hands down the most consistent Coon dog I’ve ever seen go. Now He has Shack and Tack at the same time.
You guys ever notice how there is a group of guys I’d say a 100 guys or less that always seem to have a Top end dog? Guys like the Stallards, Engle, Kevin Cable, John Strickland Doug Douglas and Many more. You know when you draw out with them no matter what they are hunting if they are packing it it’s capable of winning any world hunt any night and they just keep recreating them year after year. The reason COON DOGS are so uncommon is because the Men that have the knowledge and the addiction to lay out there 300+ nights a year and wear out boots are uncommon as well.

Dalton Cummings
918-533-6545

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-10-2020 12:38 PM
Team Mafia 2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Team Mafia 2 Click here to Send Team Mafia 2 a Private Message Click Here to Email Team Mafia 2 Find more posts by Team Mafia 2 Add Team Mafia 2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Team Mafia 2
As far as seeing some really good top end Coon Dogs go I was blessed to grow up in the house I grew up in. I don’t think you will meet anyone more particular or a bigger critic on what is on the end of his leash than my dad. Some of my first memories coon hunting was with a dog he had Called Spider. I remember a lot of nights you would get him out and he would be standing on his back legs winding and go 3 or 4 hundred yards and just explode recut him and he would do it again but if they weren’t moving he would be somewhere ALONE with a coon treed. He was my first experience with a real deal cock the gun type dog Idk if I have ever seen another like that. Then there was Sally a big female Probably 80 pounds dead loner have a coon and was like a big rattle snake didn’t take much poking and prodding from anything Dad says he would take a loan out to own a gyp like her now. After Spider died and sally was sold for a bunch of money Dad went several years hunting “common” dogs and going through them Until he bought Mafia as a puppy He was my Favorite hands down the most consistent Coon dog I’ve ever seen go. Now He has Shack and Tack at the same time.
You guys ever notice how there is a group of guys I’d say a 100 guys or less that always seem to have a Top end dog? Guys like the Stallards, Engle, Kevin Cable, John Strickland Doug Douglas and Many more. You know when you draw out with them no matter what they are hunting if they are packing it it’s capable of winning any world hunt any night and they just keep recreating them year after year. The reason COON DOGS are so uncommon is because the Men that have the knowledge and the addiction to lay out there 300+ nights a year and wear out boots are uncommon as well.

when the right person gets the right dog it's amazing what can happen!!

Old Post 04-10-2020 12:51 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Team Mafia 2

True statement dalton and I agree. Buuuuuuuut those successful guys not only hunt hard they have time to do it and without deep pockets nobody would know their name.

Tar

Old Post 04-10-2020 12:52 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Dalton (TeamMafia2 You're exactly right when you say that Cheyenne is the biggest critic of his dogs. The only way to have a really good dog is to be very critical of what they do. Too many people only see the good when for me most of the time what counts is what he does wrong. If they tree one coon really well but can't tree the next one, I don't want to keep them. Nicest dog I've ever owned came from Cheyenne out of Mafia and he is not all that he should be.

Old Post 04-10-2020 04:19 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nathan Phenix
UKC Forum Member

Alright if people are being realistic the caliber dog we talking about isnt common. So when you have dog that is nice does most things you like and covers main 2 bases having coon consistently and winning cast consistently but for whatever reason has a fault or 2. Do you hunt the dog knowing it is better than most or do you get rid the dog and start over trying find that needle in haystack. I think the more I hunt the more I realize what rare thing a top shelf dog is. But also my expectation get lower all time.

The dog I have now is perfect example. Average track speed, work cold track up better most. Honest %80 percent accurate and won %50 of cast I have put him in. Tree any kind coon you want. But still takes track he cant finish and not much of tree dog in heat. Those 2 things in my opinion keep him out company of elite. But he can eat my food and I will enjoy him. What do you do with B list dogs?

Bayou Creek Black and Tan’s

Nathan Phenix
417-255-5697

Old Post 04-10-2020 11:52 PM
Nathan Phenix is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nathan Phenix Click here to Send Nathan Phenix a Private Message Find more posts by Nathan Phenix Add Nathan Phenix to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Nathan Phenix
Alright if people are being realistic the caliber dog we talking about isnt common. So when you have dog that is nice does most things you like and covers main 2 bases having coon consistently and winning cast consistently but for whatever reason has a fault or 2. Do you hunt the dog knowing it is better than most or do you get rid the dog and start over trying find that needle in haystack. I think the more I hunt the more I realize what rare thing a top shelf dog is. But also my expectation get lower all time.

The dog I have now is perfect example. Average track speed, work cold track up better most. Honest %80 percent accurate and won %50 of cast I have put him in. Tree any kind coon you want. But still takes track he cant finish and not much of tree dog in heat. Those 2 things in my opinion keep him out company of elite. But he can eat my food and I will enjoy him. What do you do with B list dogs?

truthfully I don't the caliber of dog your talking about but a few things I think would have to be considered. How deep are your pockets and could you get your hands on better because training 1 is hit or miss and time consuming.

Old Post 04-11-2020 12:42 AM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FLYbyNIGHT
UKC Forum Member

I believe a perfect hound is in the eye of the beholder... One persons idea of a good hound may not be the same as another persons...

When you get around a bunch of coon hunters..its always a pissin match .you could say...soo n soo's dog is one of the best coon dogs around...

Then you would have couple guys agree with you ..then a couple other fellas say ..awww hell he aint nothin great ..my dog could show that dog a thing or two..

Ive hunted with a couple dogs i would actually say are COON DOGS
But another know it all coon hunter is gonna tell me they just a buncha mangy ol mutts and they can show me what a coon dog is...

Old Post 04-11-2020 01:27 AM
FLYbyNIGHT is offline Click Here to See the Profile for FLYbyNIGHT Click here to Send FLYbyNIGHT a Private Message Find more posts by FLYbyNIGHT Add FLYbyNIGHT to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nathan Phenix
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by FLYbyNIGHT
I believe a perfect hound is in the eye of the beholder... One persons idea of a good hound may not be the same as another persons...

When you get around a bunch of coon hunters..its always a pissin match .you could say...soo n soo's dog is one of the best coon dogs around...

Then you would have couple guys agree with you ..then a couple other fellas say ..awww hell he aint nothin great ..my dog could show that dog a thing or two..

Ive hunted with a couple dogs i would actually say are COON DOGS
But another know it all coon hunter is gonna tell me they just a buncha mangy ol mutts and they can show me what a coon dog is...

Your right only opinion of dog that matters is person feeding it.

Bayou Creek Black and Tan’s

Nathan Phenix
417-255-5697

Old Post 04-11-2020 01:44 AM
Nathan Phenix is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nathan Phenix Click here to Send Nathan Phenix a Private Message Find more posts by Nathan Phenix Add Nathan Phenix to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Nathan

I agree that the person feeding the dog is the one opinion that really counts, BUT the man feeding the dog knows what the dog is night in and night out. He knows if the dog is a REAL COON DOG or just a really good dog with shortcomings, no man should ever lie to anyone much less himself. If you hunt long enough you may get lucky and either own a COON DOG or at least get to hunt with a COON DOG, then you have a measuring stick from that time on. I can enjoy a good dog, but I am in constant search for one more COON DOG. Dave

Old Post 04-11-2020 02:29 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
100%hunter
UKC Forum Member

Mr Richards

[ Your valued opinion] this dog hunts alone or with company, good mouth, takes any kind of coon track he crosses and a very high percentage of the time he has a coon in the TN hills, miss swamps, on ohio river and illinois flat land, he will locate on a tree but will always circle and check it before he hooks for how ever long it takes you to get there , he trees 1 to three oppsums a year based on this is he a coon dog in your eyes.

Old Post 04-12-2020 04:10 PM
100%hunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 100%hunter Click here to Send 100%hunter a Private Message Find more posts by 100%hunter Add 100%hunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FLYbyNIGHT
UKC Forum Member

Re: Mr Richards

quote:
Originally posted by 100%hunter
[ Your valued opinion] this dog hunts alone or with company, good mouth, takes any kind of coon track he crosses and a very high percentage of the time he has a coon in the TN hills, miss swamps, on ohio river and illinois flat land, he will locate on a tree but will always circle and check it before he hooks for how ever long it takes you to get there , he trees 1 to three oppsums a year based on this is he a coon dog in your eyes.

Its a coon dog.....

Old Post 04-12-2020 04:22 PM
FLYbyNIGHT is offline Click Here to See the Profile for FLYbyNIGHT Click here to Send FLYbyNIGHT a Private Message Find more posts by FLYbyNIGHT Add FLYbyNIGHT to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FLYbyNIGHT
UKC Forum Member

It dont take a seasoned veteran to know what perfection is..a soo called ( coon dog)
Or anything else in life

Good food
Good vehicles
Good dog food
Good beds
Good tires
Good shoes
Good fishing line
I mean there is quality and junk in everything...
Anyone with common sense can tell you which is which..

My ten year old could tell you what a good coon dog should be...

Its like finding the perfect woman...with zero flaws in all departments... Show me one...

Just my opinion..

Old Post 04-12-2020 04:34 PM
100%hunter
UKC Forum Member

flybynight

thanks for your opinion

Old Post 04-12-2020 04:35 PM
100%hunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 100%hunter Click here to Send 100%hunter a Private Message Find more posts by 100%hunter Add 100%hunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I don’t know what others call a coondog. I have owned a lot of enjoyable dogs that I miss now most because they provided during hide season when that money was very much needed. No scorecard , no time limit , just treeing coons skinning them and dreaming on the way to the truck of how much money they would bring. Going to the hide buyer and the pride when sombody said you must have a good dog. Nowadays when you say you got a coondog they say how much money you won ? You might have spent $25,000 to win $25,000.

Tar

Old Post 04-12-2020 04:48 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FLYbyNIGHT
UKC Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by yadkintar
[B]I don’t know what others call a coondog. I have owned a lot of enjoyable dogs that I miss now most because they provided during hide season when that money was very much needed. No scorecard , no time limit , just treeing coons skinning them and dreaming on the way to the truck of how much money they would bring. Going to the hide buyer and the pride when sombody said you must have a good dog. Nowadays when you say you got a coondog they say how much money you won ? You might have spent $25,000 to win $25,000.

Thats a true coon dog ...providing money for the household.. By treeing the fur..

Thats as cool as it gets right there

Using a hound as a tool to make money....

Old Post 04-12-2020 05:00 PM
pigsit
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Cory Highfill
I've got it in my head to make one. Only seen a couple, and never owned one. I'm 40 yrs old and I've hunted since I was 14. Been around alot of good dogs, hunted a really good one all this winter. I've never been good with pups, but for some stupid reason I've got it in my head to try to train something special. Maybe I'm just now getting patient enough. My dad always said a man should wait till he's 40 to try to train a mule, maybe the same could be said for a coondog...
Its been my experience that coon dogs aint made, they are born, either they are or they aren't. That's one reason they are so scarce. You can adjust on them a little, but you cant make them.

Tar, the blue dog you spoke that Gene DeGraffenfried had was name Loctite, hunted a million nights with Gene, Tite and his offspring

Dual GRNTCH Wendy
GRNTCH Cola
GrNtCH Honky Tonk Rock and Roll
Dual GRCH Bumper
Dual CH June
Dual CH Jill

Old Post 04-12-2020 07:17 PM
pigsit is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pigsit Click here to Send pigsit a Private Message Click Here to Email pigsit Find more posts by pigsit Add pigsit to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

100%hunter

You described s pretty nice dog, one that most folks would be proud to own, but not quite a COON DOG in my opinion. A COON DOG should never fool with anything but a coon, no matter what the other dogs are doing, a coon dog will trail past a dog trees on a possum and tree a coon ( seen it ). You never need an excuse with a Coon dog. A COON DOG is the Michael Jordan of the coon hunting world, the best of the best night in night out, yes, they are very Rare, just like the Michael Jordan's of the world, that's what makes them special. I hope you get to own one, or at least get to hunt with one. Dave

Old Post 04-12-2020 07:47 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Cory Highfill
I've got it in my head to make one. Only seen a couple, and never owned one. I'm 40 yrs old and I've hunted since I was 14. Been around alot of good dogs, hunted a really good one all this winter. I've never been good with pups, but for some stupid reason I've got it in my head to try to train something special. Maybe I'm just now getting patient enough. My dad always said a man should wait till he's 40 to try to train a mule, maybe the same could be said for a coondog...
I waited until I was almost 60 to try and train a team of young mules. A puppy is a piece of cake. Trust me.

Old Post 04-13-2020 12:49 AM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by pigsit
Its been my experience that coon dogs aint made, they are born, either they are or they aren't. That's one reason they are so scarce. You can adjust on them a little, but you cant make them.

Tar, the blue dog you spoke that Gene DeGraffenfried had was name Loctite, hunted a million nights with Gene, Tite and his offspring

He was nice no stone unturned with him strictly business I liked him.

Tar

Old Post 04-13-2020 01:06 AM
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Guys I just picked up a young started dog today. He is gonna be a real "Coondog". Isn't that what we all think and hope for everytime we get one. Sometimes I think it's the dream that keeps me going after all these years.

Old Post 04-13-2020 01:32 AM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Preacher Tom

I sure hope he makes you a COON DOG or at least a good dog, you are right about thinking that the next one just might be a COON DOG. I think that thought has kept a lot of us going for many years, just the chance of getting one that you can call a COON DOG. Dave

Old Post 04-13-2020 04:11 AM