UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Breeds > Treeing Walkers > Lockbox pups?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Ashley Pratt
UKC Forum Member

Lockbox pups?

What's the good and the bad on pups off Keith Medly's Lockbox dog? Please don't start a praise or bash session, just tell me what you have seen as far as tracking ability, accuracy, and what type of mouth he throws.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 09-27-2014 07:52 PM
Ashley Pratt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ashley Pratt Click here to Send Ashley Pratt a Private Message Click Here to Email Ashley Pratt Find more posts by Ashley Pratt Add Ashley Pratt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cripple creek
UKC Forum Member

I bred to him and I personally

think he is one of the best stud dogs in the country. Got 8 pups and all of them made early starters, had mouths like lions and were gamey at an early age. Very accurate dogs.
almost everyone of them has won in competition except maybe 2 and they havent been hunted in a hunt. both are coondogs, just havent been in a hunt. they are bout 2.5 years old and 2 are nt. champions and three or 4 have won money in PKC.

I called several men with pups before I bred and call after call was the same. Every single hunter said their pup ( all from different females) was the best young dog for their age they had owned. Some of those hunters were late 50's and early 60's.

I found that to be true myself. The one I kept was shown 2 caged coons of which I turned the 2nd one lose and let her retree it and then she went to treeing coons in the wild by herself. Never looked back. I can give you 4 or 5 phone numbers of men who own these dogs now and you can call them and ask them what these dogs do. They are deadly accurate. That is hard to find out of just about any stud dog right now.

thats my two cents worth. Hope that helps.

pm me if you want the numbers or you can take my word for it. Been raising pups for over 30 plus years. Litter after litter I have seen this from other folks as well. Doesnt matter what the female is bred like. He is a dominant reproducer. Those are hard to find now.

Grand Champion Stevenson's "Johnny Jet,"

Palms 18:39........You armed me with strength for battle; you made my adversaries bow at my feet!
Two questions sum up life....
Why am I here ? And Where am I headed.

Old Post 09-28-2014 04:18 AM
cripple creek is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cripple creek Click here to Send cripple creek a Private Message Click Here to Email cripple creek Find more posts by cripple creek Add cripple creek to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ashley Pratt
UKC Forum Member

Thanks for the info, sounds like a good reproducer. I like getting pups from a guy that hunts his own stuff.

Old Post 09-28-2014 09:25 PM
Ashley Pratt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ashley Pratt Click here to Send Ashley Pratt a Private Message Click Here to Email Ashley Pratt Find more posts by Ashley Pratt Add Ashley Pratt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cripple creek
UKC Forum Member

yea he won the superstakes with one

of his and then won another won like two years ago with one of them. He almost won this year with one from the cross I made. He missed out by 25 points on one cast. won another cast and had a high circle cast which was won by one coon seen I think.

He just throws real smart pups. Thats where I start. If you have a smart pup, you can train those kind. Box is one smart dog.

I am sure he's not the only great stud dog in america, but I did a whole lot of research before I bred and made a ton of calls on dogs from different studs. I liked getting the consistent responses on the pup owners from Box. thats how I made my decision.

Grand Champion Stevenson's "Johnny Jet,"

Palms 18:39........You armed me with strength for battle; you made my adversaries bow at my feet!
Two questions sum up life....
Why am I here ? And Where am I headed.

Old Post 09-28-2014 11:00 PM
cripple creek is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cripple creek Click here to Send cripple creek a Private Message Click Here to Email cripple creek Find more posts by cripple creek Add cripple creek to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ole hoss
UKC Forum Member

Been hunting box pups for awhile now. Good and bad in every stud if u ask me. Ive had some with big mouths and some that didnt have any mouth. Ive hunted several from differnt crosses. Got one on my lead right now that is 16 months old and ive turned down pretty good money for him. He will die here. I have hunted them out of skuna river gyps. Slow talkin buzz gyps, trackman gyps, wipeout gyps, swamp bred gyps and rat attack gyps just to name a few. Im a hard to please type guy and keith can tell you that. The skuna river bred gyps cross well. The one im hunting is off a bark/rat attack gyp and like i said he will die here. Quick strike dogs, goes hunting great and will get by his self and hold the presure any old dog would break down in. Very hard tree dog with a decent mouth and most of all when he trees he has the meat!!! He started at 6 months old and has never seen a cage coon or a drag or none of that back yard crap just the woods. Split treed at 7 months old and today he has 2 ukc first hunting against old dogs and $374 won in pkc. I could set here and tell you hes gonna cross well with anything but that i dont know. I will tell you this. If you got a gyp that is a coon dog and u breed her to box you have a darn good chance of getting your self some coon dogs. My number is 270-832-1917 call or text anytime and ill dig up some videos and pics of several lockbox pups ive hunted if i still have them.

Old Post 09-29-2014 10:31 AM
ole hoss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ole hoss Click here to Send ole hoss a Private Message Click Here to Email ole hoss Find more posts by ole hoss Add ole hoss to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ashley Pratt
UKC Forum Member

Sounds good, thanks fellas. I agree I can go a long ways with a smart pup.

Old Post 09-29-2014 11:41 PM
robert whitten
UKC Forum Member

I've seen his stud adds in the mag and looked but I have never found his pedigree is it posted some where ? or could some one post it up . he is a good looking dog for sure .

Old Post 09-30-2014 01:52 PM
robert whitten is offline Click Here to See the Profile for robert whitten Click here to Send robert whitten a Private Message Click Here to Email robert whitten Find more posts by robert whitten Add robert whitten to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ole hoss
UKC Forum Member

Gch skuna river fred
Gch Medleys hardwood homer
Sch racoon valley queen
Sch MEDLEYS HARDWOOD LOCKBOX
Pch medleys hardwood swamp
Sch medleys hardwood jitter bug
Timber talkin mindy

Old Post 10-02-2014 09:41 PM
ole hoss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ole hoss Click here to Send ole hoss a Private Message Click Here to Email ole hoss Find more posts by ole hoss Add ole hoss to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fisher13
UKC Forum Member

I think most of these studs out of hubs are throwing nice pups, seen nice pups out of bone, owned one. I'm sure lockbox is throwing some nice ones as well with all of his pups winning. I've heard good things on repeat as well.

Hoss the traits that you describe are exactly what bark was known for. There is a breeder up here crossing up bark all over the place trying to get those exact traits. I have however found I prefer a slightly warmer nosed hound. They may struggle on a slow night a bit more, but they sure can do some damage on a good night. I have found skuna river dogs are more natural then anything I have seen, but can spend a little too much time running those long old feeder tracks. I would imagine though with the right balance of nose,track and tree, you could have a real coon treer. In theory I would say that pedigree of your pup sounds like he may have that right balance.

Old Post 10-03-2014 03:19 PM
Fisher13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Fisher13 Click here to Send Fisher13 a Private Message Find more posts by Fisher13 Add Fisher13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ole hoss
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Fisher13
I think most of these studs out of hubs are throwing nice pups, seen nice pups out of bone, owned one. I'm sure lockbox is throwing some nice ones as well with all of his pups winning. I've heard good things on repeat as well.

Hoss the traits that you describe are exactly what bark was known for. There is a breeder up here crossing up bark all over the place trying to get those exact traits. I have however found I prefer a slightly warmer nosed hound. They may struggle on a slow night a bit more, but they sure can do some damage on a good night. I have found skuna river dogs are more natural then anything I have seen, but can spend a little too much time running those long old feeder tracks. I would imagine though with the right balance of nose,track and tree, you could have a real coon treer. In theory I would say that pedigree of your pup sounds like he may have that right balance.

Fisher you described the pup like you have hunted with him his whole life!!! Lol hes exactly that. On nights coons aint moveing he looks like a idiot most of them. Put the pup in coons and their moveing a little bit and he will set a score card on fire!!! I really like the cross and its been made again with pups on the way. This is a smaller dog he weighs in around 50 lbs. Not a booming mouth but good enough and he is a real tree dog. Very intence. The main thing is when he trees you can expect to see something. He dont tree to be treeing and will not just grab bark. Pretty independent quick strike dog but not a babbler. Just all around a nice pup. He will hunt the spring 1 yr old in the spring. Ive hunted several differnt pups out of box and this is my favorite cross so far. The pup has over around $420 won now and hopefully tonight we make him nt. Champion

Last edited by ole hoss on 10-03-2014 at 09:05 PM

Old Post 10-03-2014 09:02 PM