UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Curs and Feists > Cur redbone cross
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Night cry
UKC Forum Member

Cur redbone cross

Any body ever hunted one ?? How was it ? Did it make a good coon dog ?

FUELED BY SHOWTIME DOG FOOD !!!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-15-2019 09:16 PM
Night cry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Night cry Click here to Send Night cry a Private Message Click Here to Email Night cry Find more posts by Night cry Add Night cry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbender
UKC Forum Member

Id focus on a pup from a proven cross. No need to try and reinvent the wheel. You"d just end up with a bunch of pups nobody wants.

Old Post 01-16-2019 11:12 PM
dbender is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbender Click here to Send dbender a Private Message Click Here to Email dbender Find more posts by dbender Add dbender to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Al Medcalf
UKC Forum Member

I had one that was half OMCBA and half Timberchopper Redbone. He was a decent dog.

Old Post 01-16-2019 11:20 PM
Al Medcalf is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Al Medcalf Click here to Send Al Medcalf a Private Message Click Here to Email Al Medcalf Find more posts by Al Medcalf Add Al Medcalf to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Al Medcalf
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by dbender
Id focus on a pup from a proven cross. No need to try and reinvent the wheel. You"d just end up with a bunch of pups nobody wants.

I'll have to disagree with you on this one Daniel. But I ain't going to put you on my list of enemies. . I think way too many generations of Curs have been bred as squirrel dogs. It isn't like when I first started with Curs and they were mostly coondogs. I believe they need a little shot of something else to satisfy me as a coondog. I prefer Plott. But, no matter what you cross, they need to be proven dogs that can tree their own game. I do have a registered OMCBA dog that is a coondog, but they are getting fewer and farther between.

Old Post 01-16-2019 11:26 PM
Al Medcalf is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Al Medcalf Click here to Send Al Medcalf a Private Message Click Here to Email Al Medcalf Find more posts by Al Medcalf Add Al Medcalf to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbender
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Al Medcalf
I'll have to disagree with you on this one Daniel. But I ain't going to put you on my list of enemies. . I think way too many generations of Curs have been bred as squirrel dogs. It isn't like when I first started with Curs and they were mostly coondogs. I believe they need a little shot of something else to satisfy me as a coondog. I prefer Plott. But, no matter what you cross, they need to be proven dogs that can tree their own game. I do have a registered OMCBA dog that is a coondog, but they are getting fewer and farther between.

No need to put me on any lists Mr. Al. I agree with you 100%. Most of the cur litters I see are little bug eyed dogs that look like chihuahuas.
I just think after looking at all the silly questions the op has posted it would be in his best interest to get a pup off something that has produced what he is looking for, whether it's a cur, treeing cur, or hound. Why breed some junk that you don't know what you are going to get and then have to worry about trying to find a home for a bunch of pups nobody's going to want?

Old Post 01-16-2019 11:49 PM
dbender is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbender Click here to Send dbender a Private Message Click Here to Email dbender Find more posts by dbender Add dbender to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tn russ
UKC Forum Member

Im gonna agree with both of ya. But then again i think most of the curs today have a "little" shot of something and not very good results. Half cur / half whatever doesn't produce very good percentage s. Occasionally a very good one . Ive tried half fycet / cur . And half / hound . I wouldn't try either again.

Old Post 01-17-2019 12:57 AM
tn russ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tn russ Click here to Send tn russ a Private Message Click Here to Email tn russ Find more posts by tn russ Add tn russ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbender
UKC Forum Member

It really just depends on what you are mixing. You get a nice well balanced dog hound, cur, or fiest and mix it with another well balanced dog you are going to have something decent to work with.

Too many people just breed bloodlines. I could care less what a dogs bloodline is. Ability is all that matters.

There is a lot of petty jealousy in the dog world.
I've never seen any consistent trait that could be directly related to a particular bloodline. Just because a particular dog is nice doesn't mean his brother, cousin, sister is anything like him. It also doesn't guarantee he'll pass any traits on to his offspring.

The average guy has to jump a bunch of hurdles to find a good pup. Easy to get sidetracked and manipulated by people pushing the latest greatest dud. I used to go through a lot of pups. Really have to do your homework to find a good one.

It took me years to find and raise good dogs to cross.
There are good dogs out there. Hounds, curs, and feists, they are just few and far between.

Old Post 01-17-2019 01:55 AM
tn russ
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by dbender
It really just depends on what you are mixing. You get a nice well balanced dog hound, cur, or fiest and mix it with another well balanced dog you are going to have something decent to work with.

Too many people just breed bloodlines. I could care less what a dogs bloodline is. Ability is all that matters.

There is a lot of petty jealousy in the dog world.
I've never seen any consistent trait that could be directly related to a particular bloodline. Just because a particular dog is nice doesn't mean his brother, cousin, sister is anything like him. It also doesn't guarantee he'll pass any traits on to his offspring.

The average guy has to jump a bunch of hurdles to find a good pup. Easy to get sidetracked and manipulated by people pushing the latest greatest dud. I used to go through a lot of pups. Really have to do your homework to find a good one.

It took me years to find and raise good dogs to cross.
There are good dogs out there. Hounds, curs, and feists, they are just few and far between.

Yep me and you i suspect know what we are looking for and wherr to find it. Took me years to find though. The main thing imo is finding something that works for me . I really like what i have but doubt anyone else would feed them

Old Post 01-17-2019 08:22 PM
tn russ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tn russ Click here to Send tn russ a Private Message Click Here to Email tn russ Find more posts by tn russ Add tn russ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote