UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Off Topic > the Battery Fairy
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Driftwoodblue
UKC Forum Member

the Battery Fairy

The ‘battery fairy’ and other delusions in the demand to replace gasoline powered vehicles with electric cars and trucks

By Thomas Lifson

I continue to be amazed that serious people think that gasoline powered vehicles can be completely replaced by electric vehicles in a decade-and-a-half, and that this would be a good thing, even if possible. Under threat of government action, however, the world’s major auto manufacturers are falling in line, boosting production of plug-in models, and upstart Tesla Motors is now the world’s most valuable auto manufacturer, based on the value of its capital stock issued and in the public’s hands. Mary T. Barra, CEO of General Motors, has pledged to sell only zero emission vehicles by 2035. That would meet the deadline imposed by California Governor Gavin Newsom, who signed an executive order banning the sale of internal combustion vehicles in the nation’s largest car market by 2035.

Charging electric cars at work makes sense, as it requires several hours. But what if you want to drive on a long trip?

GM, rescued from liquidation courtesy of US taxpayers (and bondholders who were cheated out of their place in line as creditors by the Obama administration), may simply be sucking up to governmental power. But Akio Toyoda, CEO of Toyota Motors, the world’s largest (or second largest, depending on the year). and grandson of the automaker’s founder, has spoken out and called out the fallacy of thinking that this is possible or desirable. [I must here disclose that I was a consultant for a Toyota company for several years, but that all my comments on the company here are based on publicly available information.]

According to this account in CarBuzz:

As the grandson of Toyota founder, Kiichiro Toyoda, the scion was raised surrounded by all aspects of the auto industry and his business acumen is second to none. So when he had some harsh words for electric vehicles at the Japan Automobile Manufacturers Association end-of-year press conference last week, people took notice.

The Wall Street Journal was in attendance and noted the CEO's disdain for EVs boils down to his belief they'll ruin businesses, require massive investments, and even emit more carbon dioxide than combustion-engined vehicles. "The current business model of the car industry is going to collapse," he said. "The more EVs we build, the worse carbon dioxide gets… When politicians are out there saying, 'Let's get rid of all cars using gasoline,' do they understand this?"

Studies detailing the carbon emissions necessary to manufacture an electric vehicle reveal that on a net basis, there are more emissions for vehicles bought and used for its expected lifetime, than would be generated by buying and using a conventional gasoline-powered vehicle.

Toyota can certainly make electric powered vehicles. It introduced the hybrid Prius, after all, and has a strong position in that market. Toyota’s mastery of the discipline of mass production of vehicles is such that it could do well no matter what power source is used. But the costs of complete conversion to electricity-powered vehicles are mind boggling.

Where will all the electricity needed to power the entire fleet of cars in the US (or Japan) come from? Despite the fantasies of greenies, it won’t be from windmills or solar farms. They are too unreliable, take up too much land, and cost too much. Right now, it is coal and natural gas that produce the most electricity at the most reasonable cost. And they emit CO2. Plus, there is considerable loss of power due to resistance in the transmission lines, requiring an even greater amount of gross power before the net power reaches the battery in the vehicle, charging at the user’s home or some other location. Nuclear power does offer some potential, but how many people want to live near the hundreds and hundreds of nuclear power plants that would be required to fuel the nation’s vehicles?

Then there is the small matter of batteries. The very large batteries needed for electric cars use lots of expensive lithium (and some other rare elements) whose supply is limited, and whose mining requires lots of scarce water. In fact, powering the world’s vehicles by battery is simply impossible, given the limited world supply of lithium, as this clever post by Powerline’s Steve Hayward makes clear. The title gives away the punchline:

WHO WILL TELL THE GREENS THERE IS NO BATTERY FAIRY?

For the longest while I have been asking, “Where do environmentalists and Democrats think all these batteries for our oil-free transportation fleet are going to come from?” It seems they think there is a Battery Fairy out there somewhere who will magically supply the ginormous battery capacity, and additional supply of electricity to charge them, in order to deliver us to our blessed fossil-fuel-free future.

He cites an article in Wired, The Spiraling Environmental Cost of our Lithium Battery Addiction:

But there’s a problem. As the world scrambles to replace fossil fuels with clean energy, the environmental impact of finding all the lithium required to enable that transformation could become a serious issue in its own right. “One of the biggest environmental problems caused by our endless hunger for the latest and smartest devices is a growing mineral crisis, particularly those needed to make our batteries,” says Christina Valimaki an analyst at Elsevier. . .

It’s a relatively cheap and effective process, but it uses a lot of water – approximately 500,000 gallons per tonne of lithium. In Chile’s Salar de Atacama, mining activities consumed 65 per cent of the region’s water. That is having a big impact on local farmers – who grow quinoa and herd llamas – in an area where some communities already have to get water driven in from elsewhere. . .

Two other key ingredients, cobalt and nickel, are more in danger of creating a bottleneck in the move towards electric vehicles, and at a potentially huge environmental cost. Cobalt is found in huge quantities right across the Democratic Republic of Congo and central Africa, and hardly anywhere else. The price has quadrupled in the last two years.

I am glad that some grownups are pointing out that the electric vehicle conversion emperor has no clothes on. But that hasn’t stopped governments, manufacturers, and investors from pretending that electric vehicles are our only future.

As Herbert Stein famously said, "If something cannot go on forever, it will stop." We’re only beginning to discover that about pipe dreams of an all-electric vehicle future.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-05-2021 01:19 PM
Driftwoodblue is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Driftwoodblue Click here to Send Driftwoodblue a Private Message Find more posts by Driftwoodblue Add Driftwoodblue to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Wingman66
Banned

I got an average of 130.7 mpg with a ford fusion hybird the other day.

"Kim Jong-Un speaks and his people sit up at attention. I want my people to do the same.” An actual sitting US President said that. Let that sink in.

Old Post 02-05-2021 02:56 PM
Wingman66 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Wingman66 Click here to Send Wingman66 a Private Message Click Here to Email Wingman66 Find more posts by Wingman66 Add Wingman66 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tripple river
UKC Forum Member

I think lithium mining in Africa is mostly done by slaves.I would think there would be a huge outcry in America about that .liberals are always looking for a injustice to cry about but when given a actual injustice all you hear from them is crickets.more human slaves in the world now than ever in history.

Old Post 02-05-2021 03:23 PM
tripple river is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tripple river Click here to Send tripple river a Private Message Click Here to Email tripple river Find more posts by tripple river Add tripple river to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Wingman66
Banned

Ding dong donnie dictator was planning to make Americans his slaves until he got voted out, saving you and your family. I bet you haven't thanked one single biden voter either.

"Kim Jong-Un speaks and his people sit up at attention. I want my people to do the same.” An actual sitting US President said that. Let that sink in.

Old Post 02-05-2021 03:34 PM
Wingman66 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Wingman66 Click here to Send Wingman66 a Private Message Click Here to Email Wingman66 Find more posts by Wingman66 Add Wingman66 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
4play
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Wingman66

Strip mining the planet is a great idea!!!

Keep your head in the sand and believe all the pixy dust they are blowing up your A$$

Nitech Stylish Clover Shark Jill - RIP 'Ole Girl
{Great White Shark x Brush Creek Patch}

Old Post 02-05-2021 04:01 PM
4play is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 4play Click here to Send 4play a Private Message Click Here to Email 4play Find more posts by 4play Add 4play to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Wingman66
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by 4play

Keep your head in the sand and believe all the pixy dust they are blowing up your A$$

Yeah filling the planets air with poisonous chemicals sounds better huh? Bet you won't lock your garage with your car running, will you?

Old Post 02-05-2021 04:08 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Yeah filling the planets air with poisonous chemicals sounds better huh? Bet you won't lock your garage with your car running, will you?

And yet emissions went down under President Trump's policies.

Old Post 02-05-2021 05:32 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
benderb4
Banned

quote:

After everyone is committed to driving Lithium battery power cars ,some yahooo environmentalists will start screaming about the damaged environment.

Consider this and CHINA BIDEN>>>:::

A spike in demand can be attributed to an announcement made by the Chinese government in 2015, when it prioritized electric vehicles (EVs) as part of its 13th Five-Year Plan. (Isn't that interesting )
Over the period from 2016-2018, the price of lithium has more than doubled and is expected to keep on rising as global demand continues to increase.

In a climate so dry and arid as the Atacama Desert and the Salar de Uyuni, 500,000 gallons of water are needed to produce just a single tonne of lithium.

The toxic cocktail of chemical used to extract the lithium from the ground is also capable of infiltrating nearby rivers, streams and water supplies. Exactly this catastrophe occurred in the Liqi River in Tibet in 2016, where mining operations contaminated the water and resulted in thousands of dead fish and many poisoned cattle and yak. It’s the third time that it has happened in seven years.

TRUTH IS TREASON IN AN EMPIRE OF LIES...G. Orwell
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING THE GOVERNMENT TELLS YOU...G. Carlin
ONLY THOSE WHO HAVE SOMETHING TO HIDE WORK RELENTLESSLY TO CENSOR THOSE WHO SPEAK THE TRUTH...Ron DeSantis

Last edited by benderb4 on 02-05-2021 at 05:56 PM

Old Post 02-05-2021 05:52 PM
benderb4 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for benderb4 Find more posts by benderb4 Add benderb4 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Charging batteries in a closed environment is also hazardous.

Old Post 02-05-2021 06:24 PM
shadinc is online now Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

quote:
It will balance out when you have to replace the batteries.

Old Post 02-05-2021 06:27 PM
shadinc is online now Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Triple K Kennel
UKC Forum Member

Hybrid

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc
It will balance out when you have to replace the batteries.

I doubt that.....
Our Company has a Fleet of Toyota Prius Cars.....
The Money they save on fuel is way more than the $2000 to replace the Batteries.....which is about every 5-7 years
Tim

Quality, Dependable Coon Lights--Built by a Coonhunter for Coonhunters
==================================
** Superior Lights

** Sunspot Hunting Lights

** Zepp's--Quality Products

** Boss Lights

**Brighteyes Lights

** They Twist it until they start believing it themselves**

Purina Dog Food
** Proven Results **

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Competition Coonhunters and Politicians
** Win anyway you have to & tell everyone what they want to hear **

Old Post 02-05-2021 06:36 PM
Triple K Kennel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Triple K Kennel Click here to Send Triple K Kennel a Private Message Find more posts by Triple K Kennel Add Triple K Kennel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
harleydan1956
UKC Forum Member

Re: Hybrid

quote:
Originally posted by Triple K Kennel
I doubt that.....
The Money they save on fuel is way more than the $2000 to replace the Batteries.....which is about every 5-7 years
Tim

And do you believe, for 1 minute, the loss of the FEDERAL GAS TAX, won't be conveyed to the electric charging stations? Go on vacation and see how long it takes to get cross country.. thousand needing a recharge with the 500 mile range.. oh yeah.. electric planes? Electric trains.. haha.. y'all must believe in unicorns and rainbows...

Canton, ohio
330-904-3392

Home of:
Gr Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Moonlight Serenade... Gr. Ch. Nite Ch PR Hillbillys Smokey River Dutch HTX X Gr. Ch. Nite CH. PR Lethal Blue Izabell Sitara
Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Lil Bit of Respect.... Ch. Nite Ch PR Shivers' Magic Lead X GR. Ch. Nite Ch PR Lethal Blue Betty Jane
PR. Lethal Blue Tayen Grace..... Nite Ch. Pr Coffins creek running J.R. X Gr Ch Nite Ch PR Lethal Blue Moonlite Serenade.

Gone but never forgotten
Gr. Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Izabell Sitara... Dual Gr. Ch PR Bowens Blue Deuce X Ch. Nite Ch. PR Becky.

Gr Ch Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Betty Jane...... PR. Crites Soggy Bottom Blue Banjo X PR. Mosquito Creek Tree mamma Sis

Gr Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Rattlin Samantha ... Dual Gr Ch PR Mid Ohio Rattlin Sam X Gr Ch PR. Lethal Blue Jet's Xena

Gr. Ch. Nite Ch Hillbilly's Smokey River Blue Dutch HTX..... Gr. Ch. Gr. Nite Ch Pr. Smokey River Tramp's Blue Lake and Pr. Misty River Blue Doll III.
(Dutch wasn't ours, but he was here and like one of the family)

Pr. Dan's little Porter.... my last beagle...

Old Post 02-05-2021 07:21 PM
harleydan1956 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for harleydan1956 Click here to Send harleydan1956 a Private Message Click Here to Email harleydan1956 Find more posts by harleydan1956 Add harleydan1956 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
4play
UKC Forum Member

quote:
I doubt that.....
Tim

More like 5k to replace ALL the batteries.Own a Collision shop know a thing or 2 about vehicles.

Is strip mining and injecting Earth/water w/contaminating chemicals worth it?
Fracking bad
Strip mining with dangerous chemicals good....lol

Last edited by 4play on 02-05-2021 at 07:49 PM

Old Post 02-05-2021 07:30 PM
4play is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 4play Click here to Send 4play a Private Message Click Here to Email 4play Find more posts by 4play Add 4play to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
benderb4
Banned

quote:
I doubt that.....
Tim

Wow first thought was prices must have went down. 2000 each
I had heard 5000-7000 for batteries
So I just googled

average cost for a Ford C-Max hybrid high voltage battery replacement is between $4,364 and $4,438.

Most experts agree a replacement hybrid car battery can range anywhere from $1,000 to more than $6,000, depending on the year and model of car, and without including dealership or independent labor costs
Replacing the earliest Prius battery would have cost $5,500.
The second generation Prius produced a better battery system for about $2,000 less
. The third generation battery pack boasts a price tag of about $2,400.

TRUTH IS TREASON IN AN EMPIRE OF LIES...G. Orwell
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING THE GOVERNMENT TELLS YOU...G. Carlin
ONLY THOSE WHO HAVE SOMETHING TO HIDE WORK RELENTLESSLY TO CENSOR THOSE WHO SPEAK THE TRUTH...Ron DeSantis

Old Post 02-05-2021 07:35 PM
benderb4 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for benderb4 Find more posts by benderb4 Add benderb4 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Triple K Kennel
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Hybrid

quote:
More like 5k to replace ALL the batteries.Own a Collison shop know a thing or 2 about vehicles.

Is strip mining and injecting Earth/water w/contaminating chemicals worth it?
Fracking bad
Strip mining with dangerous chemicals good....lol

We just had Batteries replaced in 2 Vehicles that were 2014 Models
and one was $2200 because we had brakes put on it too......the other was $2000.
Still not cheap.....
Tim

Quality, Dependable Coon Lights--Built by a Coonhunter for Coonhunters
==================================
** Superior Lights

** Sunspot Hunting Lights

** Zepp's--Quality Products

** Boss Lights

**Brighteyes Lights

** They Twist it until they start believing it themselves**

Purina Dog Food
** Proven Results **

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Competition Coonhunters and Politicians
** Win anyway you have to & tell everyone what they want to hear **

Old Post 02-05-2021 07:37 PM
Triple K Kennel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Triple K Kennel Click here to Send Triple K Kennel a Private Message Find more posts by Triple K Kennel Add Triple K Kennel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Wingman66
Banned

It cost me $10.95 per 100 miles in gas vechicle. It cost me $3.20 per 100 in that Fusion. You do the math lol.

Old Post 02-05-2021 07:45 PM
harleydan1956
UKC Forum Member

And yet, NO-ONE wants to comment on charging stations or loss of gas tax... as if I thought any LIBTARD would comment...

Canton, ohio
330-904-3392

Home of:
Gr Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Moonlight Serenade... Gr. Ch. Nite Ch PR Hillbillys Smokey River Dutch HTX X Gr. Ch. Nite CH. PR Lethal Blue Izabell Sitara
Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Lil Bit of Respect.... Ch. Nite Ch PR Shivers' Magic Lead X GR. Ch. Nite Ch PR Lethal Blue Betty Jane
PR. Lethal Blue Tayen Grace..... Nite Ch. Pr Coffins creek running J.R. X Gr Ch Nite Ch PR Lethal Blue Moonlite Serenade.

Gone but never forgotten
Gr. Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Izabell Sitara... Dual Gr. Ch PR Bowens Blue Deuce X Ch. Nite Ch. PR Becky.

Gr Ch Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Betty Jane...... PR. Crites Soggy Bottom Blue Banjo X PR. Mosquito Creek Tree mamma Sis

Gr Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Rattlin Samantha ... Dual Gr Ch PR Mid Ohio Rattlin Sam X Gr Ch PR. Lethal Blue Jet's Xena

Gr. Ch. Nite Ch Hillbilly's Smokey River Blue Dutch HTX..... Gr. Ch. Gr. Nite Ch Pr. Smokey River Tramp's Blue Lake and Pr. Misty River Blue Doll III.
(Dutch wasn't ours, but he was here and like one of the family)

Pr. Dan's little Porter.... my last beagle...

Last edited by harleydan1956 on 02-05-2021 at 11:58 PM

Old Post 02-05-2021 09:38 PM
harleydan1956 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for harleydan1956 Click here to Send harleydan1956 a Private Message Click Here to Email harleydan1956 Find more posts by harleydan1956 Add harleydan1956 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
4play
UKC Forum Member

LOL

Gotta burn more coal to charge those batteries.

Guess the pipeline workers that Biden cut can start building charging stations.Then hook them into the electric power grid....to charge the batteries.
SMH

Old Post 02-05-2021 10:45 PM
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Anybody that believes you can use petroleum to make electricity and charge a car with it cheaper than burning petroleum in the car has a lot to learn about energy.

Old Post 02-06-2021 12:41 AM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

I know which I'd rather have in my neighborhood!

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 02-06-2021 04:42 AM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Wingman66
Banned

Good for you. When that pipe burst you can pay the billions to clean it up.

Last edited by Wingman66 on 02-06-2021 at 08:17 PM

Old Post 02-06-2021 08:14 PM
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Good for you. When that pipe burst you can pay the billions to clean it up.
Did you see the strip mine? Are you going to pay for the damage done there?

Old Post 02-06-2021 09:00 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

I would much rather have the pipeline than the nuclear power plant that is 5 miles from my house. What happens if there is an accident there? There is now a quota on how many fish that you can eat from the river. There are signs at every boat launching ramp. If you eat too many, you will die. I will take the petroleum and dirty air over electricity and fish that glow in the dark any day.

Old Post 02-06-2021 09:18 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Wingman66
Banned

What damage? Looks like a everyday run of the mill mining operation. When its depleted the land will be managed. That bottom picture will look exactly like that top one when that pipe burst.

Old Post 02-06-2021 09:20 PM
Cotton 1927
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc
Did you see the strip mine? Are you going to pay for the damage done there?
NOW TODAY THERE ALL CONCERNED ABOUT THE ENVIRONMENT! How convenient!

Old Post 02-06-2021 10:46 PM
Cotton 1927 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cotton 1927 Click here to Send Cotton 1927 a Private Message Click Here to Email Cotton 1927 Find more posts by Cotton 1927 Add Cotton 1927 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote