UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Hey any strange "encounters" while hunting?
Pages (23): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
sweetwater
UKC Forum Member

A friend told me about this. He and two other guys were walking to there dog. They walked threw this pine patch on a path.They came to this little clearing and all had chills go down there spine.There was a cross and what looked to be a grave.There were plastic flowers of all colors nailed to the trees.They couldn't get out of there quick enough.And about a year later the dogs treed in the same woods.And when they got to grave the flowers were a different colors.So I asked a son of the man that ouned the land who was in the grave.He said his mother died of cancer and wanted her final resting place to be in the pines.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-08-2004 02:18 AM
sweetwater is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sweetwater Click here to Send sweetwater a Private Message Find more posts by sweetwater Add sweetwater to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Becky Powell
UKC Forum Member

As most of yall know, I haven't been coonhunting very long. My husband got me started last year. Well... the very first night I went for a hunt with my husband. We loaded up 2 of our dogs, went to our buddy's corn field, and turned them loose. After they hunted for a couple of hours, we took them home and got our other female who was dying to go when we left out. We got back to the field, turned her loose. By this time it was about 11:30pm, and I was getting tired. It was cold that night, few wind gusts, clear skies above. We had been walking the woods about all night, so when she treed, he went to get her & I stayed at the truck. I was sitting on the tailgate, waiting... it seemed like he was gone forever... I kept thinking I saw stuff thru the corner of my eye, but when I looked, it was gone. The wind gusts were causing the tree limbs to rub together, making an awful noise. Thinking it was my imagination, I kinda laughed and shook it off. Still sitting there, all the sudden, 2 drops of water fell onto my coat. I looked up and stars were everywhere, no clouds. We were parked in an open field. A few minutes later, a few more drops fell on my coat again. I hadn't heard her treeing in several minutes, and still no sight of my husband. I kept having the feeling I was being watched... Okay, I was weirding out... I was getting colder too, so I was going to sit in the truck. Well... as I jumped off the tailgate, my feet hit the ground, and I looked up... EYES looking straight at me about 100 feet ahead. SCARED ME TO DEATH!!! All I could think of was that my husband took his .22 with him, so basically all I had to protect myself was an extra lead, cigarette lighter, & a half full 20 oz. bottle of water. I ran to the passenger side of the truck to get in and there was his spotlight sitting in my seat. So, I grabbed it, shined it at the eyes that were still staring at me... IT WAS A DEER! After a second, it ran off and my heart started beating again... then I saw my husband with our dog coming over the hill. Knowing my husband would make fun of me, I just told him I thought I was delirious. There's never been a night like my first one!

Old Post 02-08-2004 02:48 AM
Becky Powell is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Becky Powell Click here to Send Becky Powell a Private Message Click Here to Email Becky Powell Visit Becky Powell's homepage! Find more posts by Becky Powell Add Becky Powell to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Raymond
UKC Forum Member

STRANGE HAPPENING....

ONCE, WHEN I WAS ABOUT 17 YRS OLD, A FRIEND AND I WERE WAITING FOR ANOTHER FRIEND TO COME OUT FROM TOWN TO 'POSSUM HUNT WITH US ON OUR FARM. (COONS WERE SCARCE AROUND HERE THEN). AS WE WALKED BACK AND FORTH ON THE GRAVEL ROAD WAITING FOR HIM TO SHOW UP. WE SAW A LIGHT UP IN THE WOODS ON THE KNOB WE WERE GOING TO HUNT. WE WATCHED THE LIGHT, LIKE A LANTERN, GO OFF AND ON AS IT PASSED BEHIND TREES TRAVELING AROUND THE TOP OF THE KNOB, MAYBE 150 OR 200 YDS AWAY.
FIGURING OUR FRIEND HAD SOMEHOW GOTTEN PAST US INTO THE WOODS, WE BEGAN TO CALL TO HIM; NO ANSWER AT ALL. VERY CALM NIGHT, LEAVES HAVING JUST FELL, LEAVING TREES BARE.
ON TOP THIS KNOB, FULLY WOODED, IS THE OLD MAYO BLACKBURN CEMETARY. AS A KID, I CONSIDERED DIGGING UP A GRAVE TO OBTAIN A SKELETON, BUT , THANKFULLY, THOUGHT BETTER OF IT AFTER SITTING UP THERE WITH SHOVEL IN HAND READING THE OLD TOMBSTONES. BABIES, A PREACHER OR TWO, AND SUCH... ALL GROWN OVER, GRAVES SUNK IN..FORGOTTEN.
WE FINALLY WENT UP IN THE WOODS TO CHASE THE LIGHT (STILL THINKING IT WAS OUR FRIEND) BUT COULDN'T GET CLOSE TO IT. VERY STILL NIGHT, QUIET, BUT WE COULDN'T HEAR ANYONE WALKING IN THE LEAVES; AND NO ANSWER TO OUR CALLS.
CALLED MY FRIEND AFTER I GOT TO THE HOUSE; SAID HE'D BECOME ILL AND NEVER TRIED TO COME OUT TO HUNT.
I HAVEN'T THOUGHT ABOUT THIS IN YEARS; ABOUT 35 YRS.

Old Post 02-08-2004 03:15 AM
Raymond is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Raymond Click here to Send Raymond a Private Message Click Here to Email Raymond Find more posts by Raymond Add Raymond to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
COOMER
Banned

elvis

tell the allian story..................lol

smokinkennels@yahoo.com

Old Post 02-08-2004 04:11 PM
COOMER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for COOMER Click here to Send COOMER a Private Message Click Here to Email COOMER Find more posts by COOMER Add COOMER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mike aylesworth
UKC Forum Member

My friend and I had dogs get treed in a cow pasture one night. When we tried to go to the dogs, a bull started bellering and charging after us. As soon as we turned our lights off and ran, he settled down. Every time we turned our lights on to get around something, he would start bellering and charging again. We ended up stumbling through to our dogs and back out with no lights. Very, very intimidating hearing him bellering and tearing up the ground.

Old Post 02-08-2004 05:17 PM
mike aylesworth is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mike aylesworth Click here to Send mike aylesworth a Private Message Find more posts by mike aylesworth Add mike aylesworth to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BAM-BAM
New UKC Forum Member

spooked

we have a place we turn loose and every time we cut loose the dogsn open quick,run through the woods,hit a fence line,go out in this wide open field ,and just quitn the track and set there and growl! we have tried numerous dogs,high known dogs and just old coon dogs! i just don,t know?????? BAM-BAM

Old Post 02-08-2004 05:35 PM
BAM-BAM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BAM-BAM Click here to Send BAM-BAM a Private Message Click Here to Email BAM-BAM Find more posts by BAM-BAM Add BAM-BAM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J.J Melin
UKC Forum Member

Cat

At my dads house there is tons of people that see this cat or hear it.They say it sounds like a house cat but 100 times loader and if u ever hear it u wont forget it. This guy said one time they where all drinking and stuff and they where going to find it and kill it and they had guns and lights and they where on a hill and at the bottum of the hill the cat started up and all the ran but this guy and they lewft him on the hill with no light just a gun and he stated runing.Then a other guy wqas in his house and was in his bed and heard it and he said he just pulled the blackets over his head lol

i hope to see this cat but i have hunt in those wood and never seen it.

Old Post 02-08-2004 06:25 PM
J.J Melin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J.J Melin Click here to Send J.J Melin a Private Message Click Here to Email J.J Melin Visit J.J Melin's homepage! Find more posts by J.J Melin Add J.J Melin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce Ordway
UKC Forum Member

I was standing on the road one night waiting to hear a dog open. It was a clear night with nice late spring temps. I noticed a patch of fog off in the distance. Looked kind of like a small cloud walking towards me. When it came over me, the temp dropped and I was cold. Visibility dropped to almost zero, I couldn't see a house light only 3/4 of a mile away. The fog kept moving and I was back in the clear again, the whole thing only took about 10 minutes. It was a very strange feeling.

Old Post 02-08-2004 07:19 PM
Bruce Ordway is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce Ordway Click here to Send Bruce Ordway a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce Ordway Visit Bruce Ordway's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce Ordway Add Bruce Ordway to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bluetickin
UKC Forum Member

Never forget the day I could have been a movie star

Never forget the day I could have been a movie star
My wife(then new gril friend) and I went mushroon hunting the place where I go is way off the betten path about 2 miles form the road so dont ever see anybody back their we were 3/4 of the way to the spot and I could see some people on the ground I figured it was two people geting it on so I told my grilfriend to tlak real loud to me so they woluld hear us so we wouldnt suprise them a see them naked.Well they heard us talking and I could see them far off pulling their clothes up we got up to them and it was two very pretty grils about 20 one had long blond hair and one had long brown.With two viedo cameras on tripods and a blanket and just tanktops and see through skirts on.Being friendly I noded in passing and they said hi my now wife wasnt happy I had said hi to them so I told her that I had been waiting all my life for that to happen to me out in the woods and she just had to be with me today.SHE DIDNT TALK TO ME THE REST OF THE DAY.It still hurts to think about.I could have been a movie star.

Old Post 02-08-2004 08:06 PM
bluetickin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bluetickin Click here to Send bluetickin a Private Message Click Here to Email bluetickin Find more posts by bluetickin Add bluetickin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Nethery
UKC Forum Member

Devils Ford,

There is a place that I hunt from time to time, called Devils Ford Creek, Coons are plentiful there, but there is a point on that Creek where I tree Coons from time to time, the earie thing about is is that once you get into that area, is seems that you are separated from the rest of the world, you will circle and circle, and your Compas will lie to you, sometimes it will start to spin, Its almost like the woods dont want you to leave. Ask Mike Brigman,
or better yet, come and hunt with me, I will take you there.
But I must warn you, the area has claimed One BlackandTan, two Treeing Walkers, and a Bluetick this year.
A friend of mine told me stopped there once a few weeks ago, and could hear hounds trailing in there, but no search could ever produce them. Its kind of like Ghost Hounds.
Or what I now call, THE GHOST HOUNDS OF DEVILS FORD!!!!!!!

GRNITECH GR"CH "PR" KIZERS Bleedin Blue Slugger, Bluetick and PR Netherys Trixie Bluetick

Old Post 02-08-2004 09:56 PM
Richard Nethery is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Nethery Click here to Send Richard Nethery a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Nethery Find more posts by Richard Nethery Add Richard Nethery to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Brigman B&T
UKC Forum Member

Have any of you ever clapped your hands when trying to make a coon look, when sometimes squalling doesn't work? Sometimes I do it and it works.

Four or five years ago I was hunting with my good friend Texhog. Our dogs split up and we decided to go after our own dogs then meet back at the truck later. My ol' Bo dog cold trailed a long way and treed in an area that I had never been in before. It was a very cold, and very dark winter night and the hunting had been good up til then. As I walked into the tree I seemed to have walked into a pocket of warm air. That was pretty strange...

As I tried to shine the huge cypress tree I heard someone clapping their hands on the other side of the tree, like I had done many times myself. I thought it was Texhog. I called out "Do you see him?" but no answer. I looked all around but saw nobody. I heard the clapping again, this time louder, like they had come to my side of the tree. I was getting pretty spooked so I got my dog and split.

As soon as I left the tree the air got cold again, just like it had been all that night, before I went into that tree. I'm not sure which was stranger, the warm air or the sound of clapping hands.

Old Post 02-08-2004 10:53 PM
Brigman B&T is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Brigman B&T Click here to Send Brigman B&T a Private Message Visit Brigman B&T's homepage! Find more posts by Brigman B&T Add Brigman B&T to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ricochet17
UKC Forum Member

Was in a cast in Northern Wis. years back and was left alone in a cast as the other 3 hunters scratched their dogs and got on their CB's as the dogs had a bear on the run! That was a little too much for me!

Old Post 02-09-2004 12:10 AM
Ricochet17 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ricochet17 Click here to Send Ricochet17 a Private Message Find more posts by Ricochet17 Add Ricochet17 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
engman99
UKC Forum Member

I didn't get to see it but,

A couple of my buddies was huntin' one night.One of them was laggin' and the other got a little ways ahead.
About that time the one in the back heard a strange thudding noise.He looked out ahead of him and could see a strange light dancing around low to the ground. and coming towards him.
The guy up front got too close to a turkey nest and the hen jumped on him.
They was doing the tango.

Aaron Allinger,proud member of the NAADP

Old Post 02-09-2004 04:29 AM
engman99 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for engman99 Click here to Send engman99 a Private Message Click Here to Email engman99 Find more posts by engman99 Add engman99 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jtd
UKC Forum Member

Just teenagers parking.

Old Post 02-09-2004 05:03 AM
jtd is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jtd Click here to Send jtd a Private Message Click Here to Email jtd Find more posts by jtd Add jtd to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
coon dawg
UKC Forum Member

4 dog cast...........

myself, Jim Beam, Cpt. Morgan, and Jack Daniels..........goin' to a tree we saw Bigfoot, with the Lizard man in a headlock..............Aliens came down and abducted both of 'em....................Elvis was drivin' the flyin' saucer.

Old Post 02-09-2004 12:54 PM
coon dawg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for coon dawg Click here to Send coon dawg a Private Message Find more posts by coon dawg Add coon dawg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JONATHAN k BARN
UKC Forum Member

years ago my brother had a dog that when treed she never moved. well i was hunting her one night and she treed so i started to her all of sudden she hushes so i stop. next thin i know she is behind me treeing her head off. so i start tht way and the same thing happened again. i started scatching my head in confusion and started calling her. well about ten minutes later my best friend came walking into me he had her on a lead messin with me.
but the weirdest thing was the other night. i do alot of hunting next to rivers bridge state park where a civil war battle took place well my gyp trees in this beaver pond so i start to her and get chest deep in duck weed she takes off again well i was closer to go through to the other side of the pond than to go back. well just as i exit the woods into this open spot i see these six foot tall ceament angels. i'd came out in the civil war cemmetary. well the hair stood up on my neck and i caught a second gear and got the hell outta there.
jb

Old Post 02-09-2004 05:19 PM
JONATHAN k BARN is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JONATHAN k BARN Click here to Send JONATHAN k BARN a Private Message Click Here to Email JONATHAN k BARN Find more posts by JONATHAN k BARN Add JONATHAN k BARN to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
coon dawg
UKC Forum Member

Jonathan..........

I been there, done that..........used to hunt several farms bordering the Gettysburg National Battlefield...........when coons were ruttin', more than occassionally the dogs would tree over there...............one night a blazin' hot track ended up, literally, on top of Gen. Longstreets monument.............wish I had a camera.LOL

Old Post 02-09-2004 05:26 PM
coon dawg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for coon dawg Click here to Send coon dawg a Private Message Find more posts by coon dawg Add coon dawg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tim MACHA
UKC Forum Member

This might not be that stange, but...

one night in the fall of 2002, Mike Fields and I were hunting down on my bottom on a moonlight night. Dan had already blowed on down to Fox Creek and opened on a cold track. As we were walking that way with our lights off, we heard something running at us across a picked corn field. We turned out lights on to see what it was and here came three deer right at us, a doe, a small buck and a larger buck. They stopped about 30 yards out and turned back to listen to the dogs. The small buck saw us and started coming closer to us. My Mark dog came in and stood by my side like he was wanting me to protect him. Then the larger buck mounted the doe and we had our lights on them and talking in normal tone of voice and they didn't even act like they knew we were there. They then stopped and turned around again to listen to the dogs. The larger buck mounted the doe a second time and when he was finished all three trotted across the field. I wish I could have caught it on video and show some of deer hunters around here that think that when you turn a dog loose the deer will run out of the country.

Old Post 02-09-2004 07:17 PM
Tim MACHA is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tim MACHA Click here to Send Tim MACHA a Private Message Click Here to Email Tim MACHA Find more posts by Tim MACHA Add Tim MACHA to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
zekedog
UKC Forum Member

Was out late one nite checking the rest of my trap line. was finished and my cousin and i were walkin down a path through timber south of my grandads house we heard a noise of something busting through the brush. I told my cousin it was just a deer or something we spook up, but as i siad that i noticed it was getting closer to us. we only had a small flashlite my cousin shined it down the pathway and here was a rough looking dog growlin at us while i yelled at it to scare it off it starting runnin at us i grabbed the pistol i didnt really even aim at it i was so freaked out i just started shooting
it finally dropped about ten yards away from us. We ran back to grandads house and i told him that i had just shot someones dog. we took him back to it and he siad that it was a coy dog (wild dog that had bred to a coyote) and from the looks of it was it had rabies or mange or somthing. And here my cousin and I thought we shot someones dog.

Old Post 02-09-2004 07:47 PM
zekedog is offline Click Here to See the Profile for zekedog Click here to Send zekedog a Private Message Click Here to Email zekedog Find more posts by zekedog Add zekedog to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Joe Moore
UKC Forum Member

hey

anymore out there

-2004 PKC Youth World Hunt, 3rd place
-2005 UKC PA State Overall Show Champion
-2007 UKC Youh National Hunt, 3rd place

-PKC Silver Ch, GRNTCH 'pr' Tree Stalkins Stylish Striker

Old Post 02-21-2004 06:13 PM
Joe Moore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Joe Moore Click here to Send Joe Moore a Private Message Click Here to Email Joe Moore Visit Joe Moore's homepage! Find more posts by Joe Moore Add Joe Moore to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Blister 1
UKC Forum Member

Seen a full grown wolf

That might not sound strange but we were hunting right here in northern Ill. My hunting buddy and I were down at John Monroe's house, we just got back to the trucks and were sitting on the tailgate, waiting for John he was out chasing Lone Pine Dewey.....lol! Just kiddin John.

Anyway we were sitting there on the tailgate the trucks were parked in a abandened driveway, and there was a old yard light out by the road we were about 50 to 60 feet from the road {facing it} it was early spring-late winter, I'll never forget it. The snow had just melted off, it was around 35 degrees that night, All the sudden we heard something running beside the truck down in some brush, no big deal. Then right in front of us a huge pure white wolf jumped out and stood and looked right at us. He was I'm guessing around 130 pounds or bigger. He stood there for 10 seconds or so then with one jump cleared the fence across the road and was gone, Just like a deer.

I know it was a wolf, a few years before this incident a friend of mine set up a calling recorder about 6 miles from there to kill some coyotes that were killing some sheep. Well he didn't kill any coyotes he shot a yearling Timber Wolf that weighed 105 pounds. The DNR came out and looked at it and said it was a wild Timber Wolf. He has it mounted. This took place in Mineral Springs Illinois, so if your hunting down around there beware their are big things creeping around that will swallow you whole!!!!!

Old Post 02-21-2004 06:41 PM
Blister 1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Blister 1 Click here to Send Blister 1 a Private Message Click Here to Email Blister 1 Find more posts by Blister 1 Add Blister 1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Joe Moore
UKC Forum Member

hey

i love wolves absoultley love them. never seen one in the wild but alot in captivity thats awesome

-2004 PKC Youth World Hunt, 3rd place
-2005 UKC PA State Overall Show Champion
-2007 UKC Youh National Hunt, 3rd place

-PKC Silver Ch, GRNTCH 'pr' Tree Stalkins Stylish Striker

Old Post 02-21-2004 06:58 PM
Joe Moore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Joe Moore Click here to Send Joe Moore a Private Message Click Here to Email Joe Moore Visit Joe Moore's homepage! Find more posts by Joe Moore Add Joe Moore to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ERIC W MUELLER
UKC Forum Member

I don't think you'll love that much after one big one tears you're dogs in half one night while out coonhunting.

Old Post 02-21-2004 07:53 PM
ERIC W MUELLER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ERIC W MUELLER Click here to Send ERIC W MUELLER a Private Message Click Here to Email ERIC W MUELLER Find more posts by ERIC W MUELLER Add ERIC W MUELLER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
awfred
UKC Forum Member

Drove up the road by my house one night right to dogs parked truck. Could see dogs and coon from truck. We got the dogs and back to truck in a matter of minutes. Turned truck around headed out got mabey 50 feet from where truck was parked and someone had stood up concret road tile right in the road. Heavy sucker!!! One feller wouldn't get out he thought it might be an ambush. Me and the other feller pushed it over and rolled it in creek. About a week later dogs treed there again, on a UKC hunt. When we got around there there was a truck parked just below the dogs. The feller driving the truck asked if I wanted to buy a coondog. I told him we was going to get our dogs and the best thing for him to do is be gone when I got back he was on my property and that I got his License #. called that number into county and they said there was no number out there like that. Never saw him again

Old Post 02-21-2004 11:09 PM
awfred is offline Click Here to See the Profile for awfred Click here to Send awfred a Private Message Find more posts by awfred Add awfred to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Blake Mangus
UKC Forum Member

i haven't been hunting to long but i got a couple . First behind my buddys house we were sitting on the tailgait i get up to listen to the dog heard him treed all right lets lets go i started they were getting their lights out and a scream thought it could of been a couger but it took off had to be in the air heard it two more times and i was locked out of my truck the dog came back and we left.never heard it before or again if it was a bird it was huuuuge.
then we turned out in a small clear cut one night dogs struck and went straight to the highway so we start to them and came out in a cemetery turned on the cb to tell the other boys what was going on and i swear the radio sounded just like the crap from the movie SIGNS when the kid turns on the baby monitor. yeah that was the end of that night . there is a few more but i have already wrote enough.

Old Post 02-21-2004 11:37 PM
Blake Mangus is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Blake Mangus Click here to Send Blake Mangus a Private Message Click Here to Email Blake Mangus Find more posts by Blake Mangus Add Blake Mangus to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote