UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Rule Question
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Sonny Phipps
UKC Forum Member

Rule Question

I know the new rule situation has not even been officially put out to us at this time but has anyone thought about reducing the non working dog time? So much time and ink talking about dogs backing and scratching for fighting when they weren’t fighting , leash locking , ect. But why in a one hour hunt can a dog not hunt for 14 min and still be consider a working dog?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-03-2019 01:17 AM
Sonny Phipps is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sonny Phipps Click here to Send Sonny Phipps a Private Message Click Here to Email Sonny Phipps Find more posts by Sonny Phipps Add Sonny Phipps to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rick St.Clair
UKC Forum Member

Understand your point, I'd hope mine was out making something happen to where I dint have to worry about one beating me that was on break.

Old Post 10-03-2019 01:30 AM
Rick St.Clair is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rick St.Clair Click here to Send Rick St.Clair a Private Message Click Here to Email Rick St.Clair Find more posts by Rick St.Clair Add Rick St.Clair to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sonny Phipps
UKC Forum Member

I agree with you 100%. I also thought that if one is backing late all the time, I shouldn’t have a lot to worry about it. It seems that good dogs are getting beat by the me too dog a lot.....

Old Post 10-03-2019 02:02 AM
Sonny Phipps is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sonny Phipps Click here to Send Sonny Phipps a Private Message Click Here to Email Sonny Phipps Find more posts by Sonny Phipps Add Sonny Phipps to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Sonny

Are they really good dogs or just someone's idea of a good dog? If a backer or non hunting dog can beat you, you need to take a better look at what you are leading. I would love to draw those kind of dogs every cast, good dogs don't need an excuse to win. Lol. Dave

Old Post 10-03-2019 02:33 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sonny Phipps
UKC Forum Member

Preach on brother Dave. But this forum is ate up with folks complaining how they getting beat by sorry dogs that get 75 tree points at the 4 min mark. I’ve been at this game a bit myself and whenever I got beat like that I found the reason on my leash , not a rule problem.

Old Post 10-03-2019 04:30 PM
Coby Wright
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Sonny Phipps
I agree with you 100%. I also thought that if one is backing late all the time, I shouldn’t have a lot to worry about it. It seems that good dogs are getting beat by the me too dog a lot.....

This doesn't happen in some of the other registries because points are reduced based on time. A dog backing late will likely only receive 25 tree points. Granted it doesn't eliminate it entirely, but makes it much harder for that dog to win.

The 50 point gap between first and second tree helps mitigate this some, but if you have a tight mouth loner you could still get beat. This has been a complaint about UKC since I started hunting back in the 90's.

For example, if they are hunting an "automatic" strike dog and taking second tree on every coon they will be hard to beat by a dog getting last strike and first tree.

I personally usually hunt (or prefer) dogs that are first or second strike dogs and first tree dogs that are independent but will back as well. However I've seen some very nice dogs lose to dogs that did very little if any of the work.

I also agree with the non working dog statement. I think the time needs to be adjusted to be proportional to the hunt time. 15 minutes might be okay for a 2 hour hunt but it's a significant percentage of an hour hunt.

At Stud: Gr. Nt. Ch. Wright's Stylish Lotto Bawls (click here to see ad)

Former Home of Gr. Nt. Ch. Bawling Rebel.

Old Post 10-03-2019 04:50 PM
Coby Wright is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Coby Wright Click here to Send Coby Wright a Private Message Visit Coby Wright's homepage! Find more posts by Coby Wright Add Coby Wright to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
T Felderman
UKC Forum Member

If your gonna mess with a rule I'd be looking at the 2 minute rule on tree. Now that they only have to tree for 3 minutes and bark once every 2 minutes is a joke. jmho

Old Post 10-03-2019 09:04 PM
T Felderman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for T Felderman Click here to Send T Felderman a Private Message Find more posts by T Felderman Add T Felderman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Sonny phipps

I would enjoy hunting with you, I like a man that tell it like it is and DOES NOT make excuses for his dog. The best get beat sometimes, that's just the way things are, but a really good dog will win most of the time regardless of the rules. Dave

Old Post 10-03-2019 09:24 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Re: Rule Question

quote:
I know the new rule situation has not even been officially put out to us at this time but has anyone thought about reducing the non working dog time? So much time and ink talking about dogs backing and scratching for fighting when they weren’t fighting , leash locking , ect. But why in a one hour hunt can a dog not hunt for 14 min and still be consider a working dog?
Could it be because he's working for 46 minutes?

Old Post 10-04-2019 12:59 AM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wadepardue
UKC Forum Member

None-Working Dog

When you have major concerns about a dog that is following the cast around, then you might won't to take a hard look at what you just turned loose...

Old Post 10-04-2019 01:28 AM
wadepardue is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wadepardue Click here to Send wadepardue a Private Message Click Here to Email wadepardue Find more posts by wadepardue Add wadepardue to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Wade

Excuses are just a way of saying I need a better dog. I don't care what the other digs do in any cast I am hunting in, I am only interested in what my dog does. Way too many folks are more interested in other folks dogs than their own dog. MAKE no excuses, call you dog for what it does and let the chips fall where they belong. If your dog is ready for competition, then you should not need any excuses, excuses are nothing more than a lack of dog power. Dave

Old Post 10-04-2019 01:43 AM
Sonny Phipps
UKC Forum Member

personally usually hunt (or prefer) dogs that are first or second strike dogs and first tree dogs that are independent but will back as well. However I've seen some very nice dogs lose to dogs that did very little if any of the work.

I understand what your saying, but can you say without a doubt that the above mentioned dog was trying to tree a coon the whole time it was loose in the cast? I know situations unfold and it happens, but not very often. Same way with a dog that backs a lot. Most of the time “the good dog” wasn’t doing his 100% either. JMO

Old Post 10-04-2019 01:55 AM
Sonny Phipps
UKC Forum Member

You guys are all saying what I’ve been saying. Rules don’t need changed as bad as many people preach they do. I promise a coon treeing coon dog that won before will still win under the new rules. Good dogs will win period. You can come with 100 scenarios of what was wrong, but most of it was what we are packing. A non working dog has and can win, same as a backing type dog but it’s not that often if what you or me are hunting is truly trying to tree coons all of the time.

True coonhounds come in many styles, the old rules maybe favored a open trailing type dog that can work in a pack, but a silent loner would still win if it was a COONDOG, the newest rules now favor a silent loner & they will be at a bit more advantage & will bred for more.

Old Post 10-04-2019 02:04 AM
bigdiezel79
UKC Forum Member

Not sure I’m a fan of the new rules. If a me too dog is winning a hunt, that would mean that the lazy hound is beating you to the tree and or you aren’t calling your dog treed.. or am I totally missing something here?

Jeremy Harris

Old Post 10-04-2019 02:18 AM
bigdiezel79 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bigdiezel79 Click here to Send bigdiezel79 a Private Message Click Here to Email bigdiezel79 Find more posts by bigdiezel79 Add bigdiezel79 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Coby Wright
UKC Forum Member

quote:
I understand what your saying, but can you say without a doubt that the above mentioned dog was trying to tree a coon the whole time it was loose in the cast? I know situations unfold and it happens, but not very often. Same way with a dog that backs a lot. Most of the time “the good dog” wasn’t doing his 100% either. JMO

I can't say it was trying to tree a coon anymore than I can say the dog running around barking was trying to tree a coon. I can only say what it looks like.

I don't make excuses for my dogs. I'm just commenting on what I've seen. I don't have a problem hunting against these dogs as I currently have dogs that are often carrying 1st or 2nd strike.

With that said, we've all hunted with the dog that starts barking when you are getting ready to cast then never stops barking. I don't allow my dogs to do that. I don't have a clue what any dog is actually out there doing. They could be walking around looking for a place to poop and accidentally walk up on a coon and the barking dog could be chasing the other dogs or they could both be looking/trailing a coon.

However, if one dog is trailing for 20 minutes then stops and makes a b-line to the dog that just got treed I'm going to give credit to the one that actually made the tree, not the one grubbing out a track regardless of which dog is mine or if neither are mine. (and at least one of mine has been guilty of doing this)

Also, I never said my dog was the "good" dog in this situation. I'm currently hunting a couple of big pups so they are rarely the "good" dog in the group. However, my statement still remains true. Those types of dogs do win more often in UKC than they do in PKC or CHKC and it's simply because the point structure is in their favor.

Everyone has their preferences and hunting styles. Some folks want the dog that will quit their track and back because they like to hunt with buddies and don't like walking to split trees all night or standing around listening to a cold track. I understand that and I'm just stating my opinion based on years of competition hunting in all registries and titling dogs in all of them.

Cheers,
Coby

At Stud: Gr. Nt. Ch. Wright's Stylish Lotto Bawls (click here to see ad)

Former Home of Gr. Nt. Ch. Bawling Rebel.

Old Post 10-04-2019 02:54 AM
Coby Wright is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Coby Wright Click here to Send Coby Wright a Private Message Visit Coby Wright's homepage! Find more posts by Coby Wright Add Coby Wright to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sonny Phipps
UKC Forum Member

Well said coby. I’m not trying to differ from what u say or like, sounds like we like similar types. I’m simply pointing out what I see the future bringing .

Old Post 10-04-2019 03:42 AM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by bigdiezel79
Not sure I’m a fan of the new rules. If a me too dog is winning a hunt, that would mean that the lazy hound is beating you to the tree and or you aren’t calling your dog treed.. or am I totally missing something here?

It all depends on it's strike. Remember there are 3 other dogs it can cover. A dog that is struck high that may tree it's own coon even once but is just covering around is dangerous in a cast and can be hard to beat. The ones actually running the track no one finds as frustrating as the one that just covers to be going to another dog.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 10-04-2019 04:19 AM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote