UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Bad ear infection help needed
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
davidlloyd
UKC Forum Member

Bad ear infection help needed

My old dog has been struggling with an ear infection since April. I've had her to the vet twice with no help. She's been on antibiotics and the whole thing. I've tried yeast infection treatments, zymox, apple cider vinegar, you name it. It's gotten better than worse yadada. Her ears are enflamed and smelly discharge. Looking for old timer remedies. I've lost faith in my vet smh.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-14-2022 12:01 AM
davidlloyd is offline Click Here to See the Profile for davidlloyd Click here to Send davidlloyd a Private Message Click Here to Email davidlloyd Find more posts by davidlloyd Add davidlloyd to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Add21
UKC Forum Member

6 oz. Rubbing alcohol,1/2 tablespoon boric acid, 2 oz. White vinegar, 1 teaspoon betadine.all available at Walmart. Mix well put in both ears massage, wipe dry. Use daily for a week, then back off for maintenance. Have you changed brand of food resently?

Old Post 08-14-2022 12:29 AM
Add21 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Add21 Click here to Send Add21 a Private Message Find more posts by Add21 Add Add21 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
davidlloyd
UKC Forum Member

Ok thanks ill try it. No I haven't the vet asked the same. He kept saying allergies?

Old Post 08-14-2022 12:45 AM
davidlloyd is offline Click Here to See the Profile for davidlloyd Click here to Send davidlloyd a Private Message Click Here to Email davidlloyd Find more posts by davidlloyd Add davidlloyd to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Blusk25
UKC Forum Member

Yeast infections. Got one that does it from food.

Old Post 08-14-2022 01:31 AM
Blusk25 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Blusk25 Click here to Send Blusk25 a Private Message Click Here to Email Blusk25 Find more posts by Blusk25 Add Blusk25 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

I used to feed sportsmix for many years…then I started noticing the dogs loosing weight…their skin got dry several got ear infections and one had it real bad…normally I could treat my dogs for an ear infection rather easily but nothing worked…

Swapped dog foods and dogs recovered quickly…I also know that sportsmix is still a good dog food but I don’t think I’ll go back to it ever…

It could be the dog is allergic to his food or something else besides food…

Old Post 08-14-2022 02:05 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Add21
UKC Forum Member

Let me know . I have used this recipe for years with good results

Old Post 08-14-2022 02:26 AM
Add21 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Add21 Click here to Send Add21 a Private Message Find more posts by Add21 Add Add21 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
harleydan1956
UKC Forum Member

16 oz of witch hazel 4 tbl spoon of borec acid 16 drops of gentian violet. Mix and use monthly. Be careful, it will turn your fingers purple, but haven't had any issues since I started using this.

Canton, ohio
330-904-3392

Home of:
Gr Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Moonlight Serenade... Gr. Ch. Nite Ch PR Hillbillys Smokey River Dutch HTX X Gr. Ch. Nite CH. PR Lethal Blue Izabell Sitara
Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Lil Bit of Respect.... Ch. Nite Ch PR Shivers' Magic Lead X GR. Ch. Nite Ch PR Lethal Blue Betty Jane
PR. Lethal Blue Tayen Grace..... Nite Ch. Pr Coffins creek running J.R. X Gr Ch Nite Ch PR Lethal Blue Moonlite Serenade.

Gone but never forgotten
Gr. Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Izabell Sitara... Dual Gr. Ch PR Bowens Blue Deuce X Ch. Nite Ch. PR Becky.

Gr Ch Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Betty Jane...... PR. Crites Soggy Bottom Blue Banjo X PR. Mosquito Creek Tree mamma Sis

Gr Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Rattlin Samantha ... Dual Gr Ch PR Mid Ohio Rattlin Sam X Gr Ch PR. Lethal Blue Jet's Xena

Gr. Ch. Nite Ch Hillbilly's Smokey River Blue Dutch HTX..... Gr. Ch. Gr. Nite Ch Pr. Smokey River Tramp's Blue Lake and Pr. Misty River Blue Doll III.
(Dutch wasn't ours, but he was here and like one of the family)

Pr. Dan's little Porter.... my last beagle...

Old Post 08-14-2022 04:25 AM
harleydan1956 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for harleydan1956 Click here to Send harleydan1956 a Private Message Click Here to Email harleydan1956 Find more posts by harleydan1956 Add harleydan1956 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Yes…let us know the cure…thanks

Old Post 08-14-2022 01:49 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Ear problems Parasitic, fungal and or bacterial sometimes it's a combo...

You never listed ivomec on your list of remedies you've tried. If the infection is secondary and caused by ear mites it will kill the mites and the root of your problem. Squirt a little ivomec in each ear and rub around. Also, put your dog on one of the combo flea and tick chews if it's not already as they will kill mites. You may have to re-treat with meds for bacterial infection (antibiotics) or fungal infection if it has developed a secondary infection caused by the mites.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 08-14-2022 05:18 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
davidlloyd
UKC Forum Member

Thanks everyone I'm gonna try it all. That's the thing I've had her her whole life. She's almost 10. Same food for years. Only thing I think might have caused it is the straw I bought last spring? It may be coincidence though.

Old Post 08-14-2022 07:27 PM
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Re: Ear problems Parasitic, fungal and or bacterial sometimes it's a combo...

quote:
Originally posted by Redneck Mafia
You never listed ivomec on your list of remedies you've tried. If the infection is secondary and caused by ear mites it will kill the mites and the root of your problem. Squirt a little ivomec in each ear and rub around. Also, put your dog on one of the combo flea and tick chews if it's not already as they will kill mites. You may have to re-treat with meds for bacterial infection (antibiotics) or fungal infection if it has developed a secondary infection caused by the mites.

I use ivomec for the same reason except I give it orally…1.5 cc’s the first week and 5 or 6 days later another cc…
The mites will feast on the blood and die…there won’t be a secondary infection…

Old Post 08-14-2022 07:39 PM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Re: Re: Ear problems Parasitic, fungal and or bacterial sometimes it's a combo...

quote:
Originally posted by Reuben
I use ivomec for the same reason except I give it orally…1.5 cc’s the first week and 5 or 6 days later another cc…
The mites will feast on the blood and die…there won’t be a secondary infection…

Well his obviously has developed canker ear from a long term problem so the best way to treat it is at the source. If it were mine I'd clean the area well then dry. I'd then squirt a small amount of ivomectrin in each ear canal then I'd follow that with a spray of Blu-Kote in each ear. The ivomec will kill the mites where they live and the Blu-Kote will help dry it and it treats both bacterial and fungal infections.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 08-14-2022 11:23 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

I've had good luck by using half Ivomec and half Povidone Iodine. Couple drops in each ear and massage in ear canal. Works for mites and canker.

Old Post 08-14-2022 11:42 PM
yadkinriver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
davidlloyd
UKC Forum Member

Are talking ivermec or ivermectin or are they the same lol pardon my ignorance. I've used ivermectin orally for heart worms.

Old Post 08-15-2022 03:20 PM
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

One and the same lol

Old Post 08-15-2022 04:36 PM
yadkinriver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
davidlloyd
UKC Forum Member

Lol I thought so but had to ask

Old Post 08-15-2022 07:52 PM
Kevin Pruemer
UKC Forum Member

try earsolve! phone 217.343.1520

Ph# 217-925-5543 or Email pruemkevin42@hotmail.com

We accept cash,check,or money order

Thanks for your business

Old Post 08-17-2022 12:58 AM
Kevin Pruemer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kevin Pruemer Click here to Send Kevin Pruemer a Private Message Click Here to Email Kevin Pruemer Find more posts by Kevin Pruemer Add Kevin Pruemer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote