UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Money, Money, Money
Pages (9): « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

Dave I have always hunted a dog alone to gain its confidence in itself and make it independent of others however to completely finish a dog I like to hunt it with others, dogs that won't hunt, dogs that hunt close and aggressive dogs to get it acustomed to different situations and see what it will do under these conditions. Never liked suprises on a hunt. Always wanted to know how my dog would respond to these situations and what steps needed taking.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-15-2018 11:39 PM
yadkinriver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Yadkinriver

Our dogs have earned titles in competition with other dogs, they just get the finishing touches put on, hunting by themselves. Hunting is our passion and we want the best we can get, it works for us. Dave

Old Post 12-15-2018 11:46 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tim Osborne

Tim, you know that I have a real liking for your bloodline if dogs. I have said so in the past, I find this line of dogs to be very intelligent , natural coon treeing dogs, I have witnessed grand pups out of Hardwood Bean tree their own coon at 8 months old in January on the north of clinch mountain. No easy feat for a dog at any age, much less 8 months old. Same pups would hunt 1/2 mile by their self, never bark lost and were smart as they get. My hunting buddy age 81 has trained many dogs and he thinks these Bean dogs are the cream of the crop. Most folks will never own or see Coondogs of this ability in my opinion. Dave

Old Post 12-15-2018 11:54 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

Re: Tim Osborne/ Mr. Lambert

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
Tim, yes 1 of the dogs we are hunting is a grandpup to Bean, he is all COONDOG in company or by himself, Mr, Lambert, you will find out quickly how good they really are, when you hunt them by themselves. Dave

I disagree with that statement. I don't think you can ever really know how good a dog is hunting it alone. Hunting alone is pup stuff. You wanna know what you got? Put your dog in a random cast. Then you find out fast.
This is why those world beaters supposedly tied up behind the barn are always tied up behind the barn.

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Old Post 12-16-2018 12:10 AM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Jim

A true test is hunting in the winter months treeing coons with a COONDOG, competition hunts prove nothing if they can't do it by themselves in the cold winter months. You just keep on thinking your way I know better! Put your top competition dog in these mountains in Januarym Feb and see how good they are by themselves. Not everyone lives in a coon zoo area, come on down and see what you got, we will turn loose as many times as you can stand. Lol. Dave

Old Post 12-16-2018 12:17 AM
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

Dave I want to know if you always hunt your dog by itself how do you know how it reacts to different situations? If another dog runs trash, will your dog cover it? Is your dog agressive on tree or can it stand fang pressure? Is your dog fast or slow on tracks and quick or slow on locating? I'm just saying if you don't hunt with other dogs you must have a crystal ball to know the answers.

Old Post 12-16-2018 01:16 PM
yadkinriver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Re: Jim

quote:
A true test is hunting in the winter months treeing coons with a COONDOG, competition hunts prove nothing if they can't do it by themselves in the cold winter months. You just keep on thinking your way I know better..... Not everyone lives in a coon zoo area....Lol. Dave

Oh my goodness, don't they have competition hunts in the cold winter months?
Do you really think that competition hunts prove nothing?
Why don't you go up to Jim's in the cold winter months and turn your dog loose and see how he does?
Why does everyone think that there hunting is the true test of a "Real Coondog" ? A real Coondog is balanced and will tree coons in thick or thin, flat or steep, hot or cold, by itself or with others.
Dave you have been hanging around with Tarbaby too long.

Old Post 12-16-2018 02:38 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

quote:
A true test is hunting in the winter months treeing coons with a COONDOG, competition hunts prove nothing if they can't do it by themselves in the cold winter months. You just keep on thinking your way I know better! Put your top competition dog in these mountains in Januarym Feb and see how good they are by themselves. Not everyone lives in a coon zoo area, come on down and see what you got, we will turn loose as many times as you can stand. Lol. Dave

I'm doing exactly that right now every night on frost, snow and frozen solid ground. With a 13 month old English pup. I think I really got something until I put her out there with the old dogs, then I see exactly how far she has to go. Like I said, hunting them alone is pup stuff.

Old Post 12-16-2018 03:13 PM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

If hunting a dog alone is the true test then htx is the most important title.
If competition hunts was the true test then hunt titles would be the most important title.
I have been thinking for a long while now why do we hunt dogs together? I think someone has answered that question for me and that would be because there wouldn't be enough judges and guides if we didn't. I feel for many people it truly is not about the dog but about there own skills as a handler.
Maybe ithere should be a handler title like master handler?

Old Post 12-16-2018 03:22 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Yadkinriver

We definitely hunt our dogs against competition, they have finished their Champion degrees, then we usually hunt them solo to get the type of dogs we like to hunt. It's personal preference to hunt dogs solo, to each his own. Dave

Old Post 12-16-2018 03:25 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Mr. Lambert

I have made more dogs Champions hunting in the Winter months than hunting in summer months. I would not own a dog that could not tree coons in the winter, as that is my standard measuring stick. As far as hunting with Jim, I have made several trips to Indiana and ALWAYS treed a bunch of coons, weather did not matter. A truer test would be for Jim to bring his 13 month old pup down here and see how good it is hunting by itself, as he maintains that hunting a dog by itself is for pups. I would wager big money that he would change his mind quickly. Dave

Old Post 12-16-2018 03:32 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Re: Mr. Lambert

quote:
I have made more dogs Champions hunting in the Winter months than hunting in summer months...... Dave

Why is that?

Old Post 12-16-2018 03:39 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Jim

With all due respect, you live in a different environment, I have hunted your country many times and love the hunting up there. Hunting these mountains is much more difficult and coons are thin. You better have a COONDOG if you hunt this country, especially in the winter months. I will pay your expenses if you want to bring your 13 month old pup down here and show me how good it is hunting by itself, let me know if interested and I will prepay your expenses just to let you know that I am serious [ gas, motel and license ]. You can't beat a deal like that, and you can bring the best you have and we will hunt it as well, just in case your pup does not perform. Dave

Old Post 12-16-2018 03:44 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Mr. Lambert

Why? I am not a summer hunter, to me coon hunting is a fall and winter sport. I love hunting when it's cool or cold, and I am to busy in the spring and summer months with the show horses. Dave

Old Post 12-16-2018 03:49 PM
JiM
UKC Forum Member

quote:
With all due respect, you live in a different environment, I have hunted your country many times and love the hunting up there. Hunting these mountains is much more difficult and coons are thin. You better have a COONDOG if you hunt this country, especially in the winter months. I will pay your expenses if you want to bring your 13 month old pup down here and show me how good it is hunting by itself, let me know if interested and I will prepay your expenses just to let you know that I am serious [ gas, motel and license ]. You can't beat a deal like that, and you can bring the best you have and we will hunt it as well, just in case your pup does not perform. Dave

Dave, my pup treed her 1st coon less than 30 days ago. My goal right now is not about proving anything to anyone. It is solely about trying to develope a dog that is a keeper. She isn't even beyond the culling point right now.
No offense Dave but you sound incredibly childish issuing challenges to a 13 month old pup in an effort to prove your hunting environment is some kind of holy grail of proving grounds. I grew up in Clay County Kentucky and have hunted in Tn. It's just another piece of ground to me.

Old Post 12-16-2018 05:54 PM
yadkintar
Banned

Jim that ground your talking about me and Curtis ( sleepy head ) was born in the same spot. Saint Elisabeth hospital in layfayete Indiana for me. It's where I heard my first hound treed of in a distance. Holds a special place to me. I just hope one day I can go back to the farm in battle ground and cut them loose one more time.

Right on the banks of the tippy canoe river.

Tar

Old Post 12-16-2018 06:05 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Jim

I was not trying to prove anything, especially about my hunting ground. You were the one that made the statement that hunting dogs by themselves was for pups and stating how good your 13 month old pup was by itself. I never said or indicated how good my dogs were, I merely said the way I check a dog is hunting the dog by themself. You took it on yourself to belittle my standard by saying that was for pups. Childish maybe on both our sides, you know how us mountain men can be, by the way I have hunted all over eastern Kentucky. You are hunting tough ground there just like east Tn and southwest Va. No comparing these areas to Indiana ground or coon population. Dave

Old Post 12-16-2018 09:00 PM
Al Medcalf
UKC Forum Member

quote:
I was not trying to prove anything, especially about my hunting ground. You were the one that made the statement that hunting dogs by themselves was for pups and stating how good your 13 month old pup was by itself. I never said or indicated how good my dogs were, I merely said the way I check a dog is hunting the dog by themself. You took it on yourself to belittle my standard by saying that was for pups. Childish maybe on both our sides, you know how us mountain men can be, by the way I have hunted all over eastern Kentucky. You are hunting tough ground there just like east Tn and southwest Va. No comparing these areas to Indiana ground or coon population. Dave

Dave, I'm sure that I would get along with you better than any other regular posters on this board. I almost always agree with your posts. Course, I'm 3/4the Appalachian American

Old Post 12-16-2018 11:22 PM
Al Medcalf is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Al Medcalf Click here to Send Al Medcalf a Private Message Click Here to Email Al Medcalf Find more posts by Al Medcalf Add Al Medcalf to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Al Metcalf

Thanks, I am 100% and proud of it. I respect everyone's opinion, I don't always agree with them, but I respect their right to voice their opinions. I have a problem when someone thinks their opinion is right and everyone else is wrong. We are all different what works for one might not work for another. Dave

Old Post 12-16-2018 11:37 PM
Chris.S
UKC Forum Member

quote:

A TRUE TEST is having a coon treer while hunting one with a bunch of junk running, babbling, tree monsters. When you find one that consistently trees coon no matter what the others are doing then you have something. I've seen a BUNCH that looked like a million alone and crap in company.

Old Post 12-17-2018 07:59 PM
Chris.S is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chris.S Click here to Send Chris.S a Private Message Click Here to Email Chris.S Find more posts by Chris.S Add Chris.S to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Vic Stoll
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Jim

quote:
Originally posted by Chris.S
A TRUE TEST is having a coon treer while hunting one with a bunch of junk running, babbling, tree monsters. When you find one that consistently trees coon no matter what the others are doing then you have something. I've seen a BUNCH that looked like a million alone and crap in company.

I say AMEN to this statement!

Gone but not forgotten:
Nt Ch Fanny's Midnite Blue Annie - aka Sodie Pop R.I.P. - I will miss you old girl

Nt Ch Becky’s Midnite Blue Hank - R.I.P. Old Boy, thank you for the memories

Gr Nt Ch S&E's Midnite Lite Blue Snow (Co-Owned with my good friend Harry Eidenier) - We had a blast following you ole girl!

Old Post 12-17-2018 08:41 PM
Vic Stoll is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Vic Stoll Click here to Send Vic Stoll a Private Message Find more posts by Vic Stoll Add Vic Stoll to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Chris S/Vic Stoll

I agree with both if you and by the time we hunt our dogs by themselves, they have passed the test of hunting with those types of dogs. However they must be just as good by themselves or I don't want them period. I have seen a lot of dogs that looked good hunting with other dogs that were worthless hunting by themselves. Bottom line is what they can do by themselves and with other dogs, not just one or the other. Our choice of hunting 1 dog at a time after they are trained is purely personal, it may not be for everyone. Dave

Old Post 12-17-2018 09:25 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

When purely pleasure hunting, there isn't a best way. There is only what you get pleasure from. What gets me is the guys that think their way is the best way.

Old Post 12-17-2018 09:49 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

I see where PKC had a big money hunt in South Carolina that drew 67 entries last night. UKC had a trophy hunt on the same night and only an hour's drive away. The UKC trophy hunt had 200 entries. What is up with that?

Old Post 01-05-2019 07:05 PM
micooner
UKC Forum Member

Thats simple, grand American just by prestige should outdraw any hunt that weekend. Your comparison doesn't mean anything.

Old Post 01-05-2019 08:46 PM
micooner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for micooner Click here to Send micooner a Private Message Click Here to Email micooner Find more posts by micooner Add micooner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote