UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Babbling dogs
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
davery
UKC Forum Member

Babbling dogs

UKC must have some good judges with good noses on them to minus a dog for opening on a coon track this aren’t to help these fiest -cur type dogs I thought a hound must open on track so you can tell which dog is ahead but I’m from the old school

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-31-2019 07:11 PM
davery is offline Click Here to See the Profile for davery Click here to Send davery a Private Message Click Here to Email davery Find more posts by davery Add davery to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Pat Bizich
Banned

I 'm with you. This subject has been beaten to death. A lot of breeders are breeding for hotter nosed get deep and alone.
They are the cry babies that your dog is babbling because their dog is not opening. Minus your dog is the only way they can beat you.
My self I like dogs that have a good nose.
I have hunted a few that gets the what is your dog running bit or your dog is babbling BOO HOO HOO crap because no one else dog can smell or will open with mine.
And it ticks me off. I what these dogs I hunt to open quick and they better have a good nose or I won't keep them. Then you take them to a hunt and know nothing judges want to minus your dog.
I have already said we need to get rid of the babbling rule.
THERE IS NO WAY THAT ANY JUDGE CAN WITH 100% CERTAINTY KNOW MY DOG IS NOT ON A TRACK!!!!!
They do not know my dog . They do not know if my dog has a nose like a bloodhound or a hot nosed fiest.
Like you say when those judges can learn to smell as good as my dog nose then I will accept the minus.

Gone but never forgotten:
NtChGrCh Dryfork Punkin
NtChGrCh Dryfork Little Blue Baby Doll
2009 Pa Show Dog Of The Year
GrCh Dryfork Little Black Book
Gr.Ch. Make My Day Sunny
Gone too soon RIP my baby girl
Gr.Ch. Black Dog Black Cherry
GrCh Dryfork Black Dog Raine
One of kind and would make a believer out of you when you thought there were no coon left
Home of:
2009,2013,2018 Pa. State
Show Handler Of The Year
CH. Power Pack Pepper
2018 Pa. Show Dog Of Year
Gr.Ch. Batman's Poison Ivy
2011&2013 WTDA Pa State Champion
2011&2013 Overall Hunt For The Cure
Ch. Jay's Greenridge Heidi
In memory of my best friend "Jay"

Old Post 08-31-2019 08:08 PM
Pat Bizich is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Pat Bizich Click here to Send Pat Bizich a Private Message Find more posts by Pat Bizich Add Pat Bizich to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Pat Bizich
Banned

While I am on my rant about dogs opening.
ALL BREEDS STANDARDS call for open trailing as a trait.
Yet there have been proposals submitted that are being voted on this very weekend that will do away with the silent dog rule and a proposal that if passed will penalize dogs that open "TOO WELL"!!

WE ARE HUNTING HOUNDS "NOT CURS" IF YOU LIKE SILENT DOGS.... GO HUNT CURS.
Instead people are wanting to change the rules for the type dog they "WANT" so they have a better chance to win . Instead of breeding dogs to win within the current rules.

Like I said you want a hot nosed silent pop up dog . Don't be trying to penalize my dog for having a better nose and opening more than "YOU LIKE" .
Do away with "BOTH" rules and let's have at it. And may the best dog win.
Oh, that's right. These same proposals are wanting a tree count down like the other KC'S to even further give favor to the get alone tree dog without moving the tree points back to 100 like the other KC's.
You guys want a tree count down then want to penalize the dog that gets first strike all night by calling them babblers.
Maybe we should have a strike count down too to penalize these tight mouth dogs???

The nite hunt rules were written to help hunters prove who had the best dog in the county then, now the country ,as well as traits that were desirable worked into those rules. For instance the slick tree dog taking minus, the silent dog being scratched for continuously being silent, or the trash runner taking minus.

NtChGrCh Dryfork Punkin
Gr.Ch. Make My Day Sunny
One of kind and would make a believer out of you when you thought there were no coon left
Home of:
2009,2013,2018 Pa. State
Show Handler Of The Year
CH. Power Pack Pepper

Last edited by Pat Bizich on 08-31-2019 at 08:50 PM

Old Post 08-31-2019 08:36 PM
Pat Bizich is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Pat Bizich Click here to Send Pat Bizich a Private Message Find more posts by Pat Bizich Add Pat Bizich to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
indiana1
UKC Forum Member

I believe the complaints are of the dogs that strike as soon as there unsnapped and never shut up. Usually the same dog you hear barking in the box non stop

(Uchtman’s blue Amos x Uchtman’s blue Magic)
NITECH Lynch’s LIL BLU MAC (Walston’s Big Country x Hatcreek Kate 2)

Old Post 08-31-2019 08:42 PM
indiana1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for indiana1 Click here to Send indiana1 a Private Message Find more posts by indiana1 Add indiana1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Pat Bizich
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by indiana1
I believe the complaints are of the dogs that strike as soon as there unsnapped and never shut up. Usually the same dog you hear barking in the box non stop

You are exactly right. Those are the obvious ones.
I can't stand babblers and won't put up with one. Aggravating idiots that owners should had put a stop to before ever putting in a hunt..

I know of several instances of dogs opening off the lead, being accused of babbling because others were not opening and going on to tree a real live coon.
Another guy on this board said he would minus ANY DOG he saw opening with its head up going across a field. HUH??
Hello? has anyone ever heard of a dog that can WIND???

I had one time one of the best fastest track dogs I ever saw that could wind a coon across a 250 yard field. She ran with her nose in the air. This guy insisted he would minus her type for babbling.
These are my arguments for questionable judgement calls and dogs NOT being penalized by inexperienced judges.

NtChGrCh Dryfork Punkin
Gr.Ch. Make My Day Sunny
Home of:
2009,2013,2018 Pa. State
Show Handler Of The Year
CH. Power Pack Pepper

Old Post 08-31-2019 09:03 PM
Sgraves
UKC Forum Member

Pat this subject has been an will be beat to death. It’s not about punishing a true cold nosed track dog that gets his mouth opened quick. Not even about a cur dog or a tight mouth pop a coon up kinda dog. It’s about theses lying, cheating boys who call themselves men. Trying to convince everyone that their hunting an honest dog. There is only so many people you can fool. Man up , stop bringing that babbling junk to these hunts an this subject will go away.

Old Post 08-31-2019 09:13 PM
Sgraves is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sgraves Click here to Send Sgraves a Private Message Click Here to Email Sgraves Find more posts by Sgraves Add Sgraves to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bowling
UKC Forum Member

As long as money is involved there will always be crooks I quit several years ago trying to run hunts just to get beat by a slick handler or the cast teaming up on the best dog in cast to get him out of the way.

Old Post 08-31-2019 09:38 PM
bowling is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bowling Click here to Send bowling a Private Message Click Here to Email bowling Visit bowling's homepage! Find more posts by bowling Add bowling to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
davery
UKC Forum Member

Babbling dogs

These tight mouth dogs need scratching like the rules say and this will help the good opening dogs

Old Post 08-31-2019 09:58 PM
davery is offline Click Here to See the Profile for davery Click here to Send davery a Private Message Click Here to Email davery Find more posts by davery Add davery to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
indiana1
UKC Forum Member

If you are getting beat by a tight mouth dog that is taking 3rd or 4th strike consistently you might want to check what is on your lead. Just my opinion.

Old Post 09-01-2019 12:25 AM
indiana1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for indiana1 Click here to Send indiana1 a Private Message Find more posts by indiana1 Add indiana1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
davery
UKC Forum Member

If y’all had a judge up there in that northern country you would trade dogs

Old Post 09-01-2019 02:27 AM
davery
UKC Forum Member

If y’all had a judge up there in that northern country you would trade dogs

Old Post 09-01-2019 02:27 AM
yadkintar
Banned

Those that have babbling dogs make excuses for them. 100 strike and 75 tree all night backpacking you don’t have to train for that. And they hate a dog that slips away from them tight mouthed and gets a coon theirs don’t get no part of. Anybody that ain’t a big dummy knows when a dog is babbling and knows when it’s handler is using it for their advantage.

Tar

Old Post 09-01-2019 02:49 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
indiana1
UKC Forum Member

Agree with you tar

Old Post 09-01-2019 02:55 AM
joeok1986
UKC Forum Member

Come on guys you know when a dog is babbling, when that dog is barking it’s butt off as soon as you cut them, or when it’s babbling after the other dogs, you know there is no question that dog ain’t struck so be honest about it take your minus and go on

Old Post 09-01-2019 07:27 AM
joeok1986 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joeok1986 Click here to Send joeok1986 a Private Message Click Here to Email joeok1986 Find more posts by joeok1986 Add joeok1986 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
davery
UKC Forum Member

The tight mouth dogs most of the time are getting strikes points on a tree bark and y’all are telling me this is alright these dogs need to be scratched and handlers to for lying

Old Post 09-01-2019 02:10 PM
Outback1
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by joeok1986
Come on guys you know when a dog is babbling, when that dog is barking it’s butt off as soon as you cut them, or when it’s babbling after the other dogs, you know there is no question that dog ain’t struck so be honest about it take your minus and go on

This,

Old Post 09-02-2019 01:30 AM
Outback1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Outback1 Click here to Send Outback1 a Private Message Find more posts by Outback1 Add Outback1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rip
UKC Forum Member

Babbling dogs need to take their minus. It is a huge problem and the minute makes it almost impossible to fix.

Hope the minute goes away and we can give these babblers the minus and scratches they deserve.

Old Post 09-02-2019 02:00 AM
Rip is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rip Click here to Send Rip a Private Message Click Here to Email Rip Visit Rip's homepage! Find more posts by Rip Add Rip to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by davery
The tight mouth dogs most of the time are getting strikes points on a tree bark and y’all are telling me this is alright these dogs need to be scratched and handlers to for lying

Is not a guy striking his dog off the snap every cut not lying ? Like I said if you can’t beat a last strike dog you need a better mee too dog.

Tar

Old Post 09-02-2019 02:00 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cory Highfill
UKC Forum Member

The way I see it, a babbler is getting undeserved points every drop, and that impacts everyone on the cast.

The tight mouthed dog doesn't hurt anyone but his owner. And if he can live with that, why should it bother anyone else? Unless, of course, it's like Tar said and ol barky barky has trouble me-tooing him...

Old Post 09-02-2019 02:35 AM
Cory Highfill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cory Highfill Click here to Send Cory Highfill a Private Message Click Here to Email Cory Highfill Find more posts by Cory Highfill Add Cory Highfill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Have any of you ever tried to convince the owner of a babbler that he didn't have a cold nosed dog?

Old Post 09-02-2019 03:05 AM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sgraves
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc
Have any of you ever tried to convince the owner of a babbler that he didn't have a cold nosed dog?
They have to know what a cold nose dog is first . Barks in the box all the way to the woods. Same bark with it comes out of the box . Same bark when it’s unleashed. Same bark a mile later with a coon sitting over it’s head. Can’t minus me he’s got the coon sitting right there. Not falling for it . Nothing but a loose mouth, rattle head cull. The owner thinks it ran a track all the way to the tree.

Old Post 09-02-2019 03:31 AM
Sgraves is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sgraves Click here to Send Sgraves a Private Message Click Here to Email Sgraves Find more posts by Sgraves Add Sgraves to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
honalieh
UKC Forum Member

Babbling

A 1st tree dog will almost always beat a babbling dog.

If the babbling dog is a 1st tree dog, you can't beat it. But, if it's consistently treeing before anything else, why can't we believe that it is also striking before anything else?

You can take 3rd strike, 1st tree = 175 points. If the babbler is a 1st strike, 2nd tree = 175 points, you still win with most + tree points.

Allowing 2nd, 3rd, and 4th tree dogs to get just as many points as 1st tree dogs (via split) could give an advantage to a split-treeing babbler.

Solution = Don't give 2nd. 3rd, and 4th tree dogs just as many points as 1st tree dogs (a split tree is at best a 2nd tree, and sometimes it can be a 3rd or 4th tree).

If the babbler gets 1st strike, 2nd tree, that's 175. Loses to 3rd strike,1st tree. The problem is allowing that 2nd, 3rd, or 4th tree ( when split) get just as many tree points as a 1st tree dog!!!

Old Post 09-02-2019 06:02 AM
honalieh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for honalieh Click here to Send honalieh a Private Message Click Here to Email honalieh Find more posts by honalieh Add honalieh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bowling
UKC Forum Member

A man that don’t know the difference in a babbler is just like his dog a babbler and he ain’t going to shut up you can’t convince him otherwise and there are some out there that think they are actually running a coon. Only solution is to split the strike or give every dog 25 strike and let the man with the best coon dog win. Or better yet make every dog hunt by himself just one time with a non hunting judge before even being eligible to compete period that would get rid of most of them because 80 percent want hunt alone.

Old Post 09-02-2019 12:41 PM
bowling is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bowling Click here to Send bowling a Private Message Click Here to Email bowling Visit bowling's homepage! Find more posts by bowling Add bowling to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

The truly sad thing is that these younger hunters have no idea what a dog with a superior nose and a brain to go with it can do, and a lot of the older guys have forgotten.

Old Post 09-02-2019 04:51 PM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ricochet17
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by sleepy head
The truly sad thing is that these younger hunters have no idea what a dog with a superior nose and a brain to go with it can do, and a lot of the older guys have forgotten.

Amen to that.

Old Post 09-02-2019 04:56 PM
Ricochet17 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ricochet17 Click here to Send Ricochet17 a Private Message Find more posts by Ricochet17 Add Ricochet17 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote